Page 29 of 88 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: Create &/or Change Anything & Everything Competitive Edition!

Three new moves!
    These are the moves needed to transform the Area Field

New Move: Skyscraper

Type: / Power: -- / Accuracy: --% / PP: 5 / Target: All / Category: / Priority: 0
    "The user calls upon the forces of nature to transform the Area Field into City"

New Move: Murk

Type: / Power: -- / Accuracy: --% / PP: 5 / Target: All / Category: / Priority: 0
    "The user calls upon the forces of nature to transform the Area Field into Dusk"

New Move: Yuki

"The user calls upon the forces of nature to transform the Area Field into Peak"

I am having a hard time coming up with name for the other ones. Feel free to give your opinions. I will post the other ones in a separate post when I think of them. Incase You have no idea what i am talking about these moves are for the new mechanics Area Fields that I made.

FC: 4699-6505-4258

IGN: Diva

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    The plus 2 is only for speed and that's only if the weather is sunny. At least that's what I gathered from the persons post.
    Yeah. It's a +6 net stat increase in the sun, and a +0 in any other weather. Sun isn't that hard to set up in the first place, and therefore is not enough of a drawback to balance out the +6.

Well that's why it will change the meta-game. a person must or most likely should have at least one move/ability that can change the Area Field. Not to mention before a match they can decide what Area Field they wanna play on. Sorta how in 2 player fighting games you can choose the location to fight.
    What if the players say something like, "I don't know, let's just go with the default", not knowing that it would give benefits to certain types and hindrances to others? It inherently isn't fair for people who make this decision.

New Move: Tsunami

Type: / Power: 100 / Accuracy: 100% / PP: 10 / Target: All adjacent Pokémon / Category: / Priority: 0
    "The user sets off enormous floods of water that may trap the foe(s) in a violent swirling whirlpool for four to five turns. "

-Basically a Water Type equivalent to Earthquake except it has the added 30% chance off trapping the targets hit in a whirlpool. I think this move should be Kyogre's signature move.
    The move itself is already pretty powerful. Add the 30% trapping rate and it's pretty broken (I'm assuming the residual damage is the same as Fire Spin's). But since it's a signature move, it could be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    New Ability
    Restless: The Pokemon cannot use a non-attacking move but increases speed and attack by 50%.
    Persistent: Speed increase by two stages when the foe has higher speed stats.
    Restless - "Weavile, use Taunt!" I'd imagine that the trigger for this would have to actually show up on the screen (much like Pressure does), so a Pokémon could just counter with Taunt and ruin your strategy.
    Persistent - Sure. It's like Download in that it tries to make up for an otherwise-weak stat, but it's not in that it doesn't increase Speed all the time (whereas with Download, a stat always increases).

New Item
    Stone Helmet: Head related moves deal 50% more damage but lowers the users speed by 25%
    Poison Cloak: When hit by a physical move, the cloak is used up but the foe has 50% chance of getting badly poisoned.
    Kettle: All moves that inflict burn recieves a 50%.
    Stone Helmet - I'm assuming that a Head-related move would be something like Head Smash, Iron Head, Headbutt, and stuff?
    Poison Cloak - Solid item. I like it.
    Kettle - All moves that inflict a burn receive a 50% boost in power? A 50% boost in burn chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    New Move: Sand Arrow
    Type: Ground
    Catagory: Physical
    Power: 25
    Accuracy: 95
    Priority: 0

The user shoots sand like arrows at the foe. It's hits 2-5 times

Notable Users: Cloyster, Hippowdon, Mamoswine, Cincinno
    Nice.

This Pokemon I thought of
    Name: Pending...
    Type: Normal/Ghost
    Description: A ghostly white pokemon holding onto a ruined teddy bear.
    Ability: Intimidate/Pressure (Cursed Body)

Stats
    HP: 100
    Attack: 40
    Defense: 100
    Special Attack: 75
    Special Defense: 95
    Speed: 40

Some exclusive moves for him
    Weep (Ghost)
    PP: 15/Power: --/Accuracy: 100/Category: Status
    The user utters a sad cry that drops the foe's attack by two stages
    Shuppet and Banette gets it too.
    What's with everyone and making tank Ghost-type Pokémon?

Regardless, I think it's a pretty good Pokémon. Bonus points for Normal/Ghost, since I like that type combination a lot.

New Move: Execute

Type: / Power: -- / Accuracy: --% / PP: 5 / Target: Single adjacent Pokémon / Category: / Priority: 0
    "The user finishes off the foe to the point of no return. The target instantly faints if it hits.

-Basically a Dark Type Equivalent to Fissure, Sheer Force, Guillotine and Horn Drill
    Eh, it's pretty mediocre. I don't usually like these moves to begin with, and the one-hit KO clause exists, and stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow♠ View Post
    I have no idea for a name lol.

Type: Ground
    Abilities: Arena Trap/Sand Veil/Sand Force(DW)

Stats:
    HP: 55
    Attack: 105
    Defense: 65
    Sp. Atk: 55
    Sp. Def: 85
    Speed: 131

BST:496
    It's leaning toward Excadrill status in terms of stats. 105 Attack and 131 Speed is nothing to scoff at, especially in the presence of sand.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    It's leaning toward Excadrill status in terms of stats. 105 Attack and 131 Speed is nothing to scoff at, especially in the presence of sand.
    You have a point :/ I wanted to be like Dugtrio but a bit bulkier and stronger/faster.

Screams~ YAY Bonus Points!

Another renewal in an attack I made

Nullify (Dark)
    PP:10/Power: --/Accuracy: 100/Category: Status
    The user cancels out boosts from weather and field effects permanently at the cost of 1/8 the user's HP.
    Aka cancels out ALL boosts from weather. So Hurricane goes back to 70% in rain for the entire match, even if someone recasts rain again.

Abilities

Solidify (Normal)
    The user solidifies into a solid, raising defense by three stages but decreasing speed by one stage when reaching below 50% HP.

Liquify (Water)
    The user liquifies into a puddle of water, boosting sp.atk by three stages but lowers defense by one stage when reaching below 50% HP.

Gaseous (Normal)
    The user turns into a gaseous state, boosting speed by three stages but lowers special attack by one stage when reaching below 50% HP.

Sounds weird? It's actually for a Pokemon that I thought of. It comes in a trio and has more or less similar stats. Based off the three matters xD

Stats (in order): Solid/Liquid/Gas
    Ability: Solidify/Liquify/Gaseous
    HP: 80/80/80
    Attack: 50/50/50
    Defense: 100/70/85
    SP.atk: 85/100/70
    SP.def: 80/80/80
    Spd: 70/85/100

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Another renewal in an attack I made

Nullify (Dark)
    PP:10/Power: --/Accuracy: 100/Category: Status
    The user cancels out boosts from weather and field effects permanently at the cost of 1/8 the user's HP.
    Aka cancels out ALL boosts from weather. So Hurricane goes back to 70% in rain for the entire match, even if someone recasts rain again.
    Personally, I'd just make it remove the weather effect entirely. Whether or not Nullify has already been used could pose a memory issue, and it pretty much totally counters what weather teams want to do. By removing the weather effect, at least weather teams can set up their desired weather again, but the effect of removing the benefits and hindrances of weather is still retained.

Abilities

Solidify (Normal)
    The user solidifies into a solid, raising defense by three stages but decreasing speed by one stage when reaching below 50% HP.

Liquify (Water)
    The user liquifies into a puddle of water, boosting sp.atk by three stages but lowers defense by one stage when reaching below 50% HP.

Gaseous (Normal)
    The user turns into a gaseous state, boosting speed by three stages but lowers special attack by one stage when reaching below 50% HP.
    I don't really have anything negative to say about this, but nothing really positive, either. It's a net +2 stat increase when below 50% HP, which could be used for Baton Pass, but that's pretty much it on what I have to say about these three abilities. :/

What if the players say something like, "I don't know, let's just go with the default", not knowing that it would give benefits to certain types and hindrances to others? It inherently isn't fair for people who make this decision.
    You have a point...I have actually made a new version. Which I will post later that fixes this problem.

You have a point...I have actually made a new version. Which I will post later that fixes this problem.
    I forgot to mention that even if the default area field doesn't affect types in any way, it still affects moves like Nature Power and Camouflage. Only being able to change Nature Power or Camouflage's effect in an area field that affects types one way and affects other types another way is inherently less balanced than never being able to change Nature Power or Camouflage's type at all.

Revamped Version: v.04Final Version

New Mechanics!!!

Area Fields:

Each one has its benefits and disadvantages depending on the Type of the Pokemon In battle. It will change the scenery in the battle. Each Area Field will last 5 Turns if used by a Move or activated by an Ability. However if the Area Field is encountered naturally it will remain present until another Area Field takes its place. The natural Area field that appears in battle is dependent on which tile the player is standing on. Only one Area Field may be present at one time, and only the most recent Area Field will take effect. Nature Power and Camouflage will now be affected by Area Fields.

Arena
    Locations: Inside Houses and Plain terrains
    Examples: Players starting house
    -Nature Power is Return
    -Camouflage Type is Normal

City
    Locations: Cities, Towns and Populated areas
    Examples: Cerulean City, Blackthorn City, Oldale Town, Resort Area, Castelia City etc.
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Steel Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Electric type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Poison Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Pokemon cannot be inflicted with the Sleep status while City is present(This includes your opponent(s) Pokemon)
    -Has a 5% chance of Poisoning(Regular) the Pokemon in battle once per turn(this includes your own Pokemon)
    -Nature Power is Sludge Bomb
    -Camouflage Type is Steel

Dessert
    Locations: Dessert, Sand, Deep Sand and Wasteland areas
    Examples: Dessert Resort, Route 111(Dessert area), Route 228
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Ground Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Lowers the Attack and Sp.Attack of Water Type Pokemon
    -Lowers the Speed of Non-Flying Type Pokemon & Pokemon without Levitate by 10%
    -Sandstorm will now deal 1/10 each turn
    -Sandstorm will now last 8 turns
    -Has a 5% chance of Confusing the Pokemon in battle once per turn(this includes your own Pokemon)
    -Nature Power is Earthquake
    -Camouflage Type is Ground

Dusk
    Locations: Caves and Dark areas
    Examples: Diglett's Cave, Granite Cave, Dark Cave, Distortion World, Challengers Cave etc.
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Ghost Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Dark Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Lowers the Accuracy of Non-Ghost & Dark Type Pokemon by 10 %
    -Has a 5% chance of to inflict Sleep Status to the Pokemon in battle once per turn(This includes your own Pokemon)
    -Dusk is removed if Harsh sunlight comes out via Drought or Sunny Day
    -Nature Power is Shadow Ball
    -Camouflage Type is Ghost

Forest
    Locations: Forests and Hidden Grotto's
    Examples:Viridian Forest, Ilex Forest, Petalburg Woods, Eterna Forest, Pinwheel Forest etc.
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Grass Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Bug Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Critical Hit Ratio of Fire Type moves.
    -Nature Power is Seed Bomb
    -Camouflage Type is Grass

Grassland
    Locations: Grass and Tall Grass
    Examples: Route 29 etc
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Fighting Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Normal Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Nature Power is Grass knot

Mountain
    Locations: Mountains and Volcano's
    Examples: Mt.Chimney, Mt.Coronet, Twist Mountain etc.
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Rock Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Fire Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Nature Power is Rock Slide
    Camouflage Type is Rock

Peak
    Locations: Mountain tops, Snow and Frozen areas
    Examples: Mt Coronet summit, Route 217, Route 216 etc.
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Ice Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Lowers the Attack and Sp.Attack of Grass Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Hail will now deal 1/10 each turn
    -Hail will now last 8 turns
    -Has a 5% chance to inflict Freeze status to the Pokemon in battle once per turn(This includes your own Pokemon)
    -Nature Power is Avalanche
    -Camouflage Type is Ice

Sky
    Locations: High elevated areas and shadows(which can now be found all over instead of just bridges)
    Examples: Top of Sky Piller
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Flying Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Dragon Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Lowers all Ground Type Moves Accuracy by 50%
    -Nature Power is Aircutter
    -Camouflage Type is Flying

Ocean
    Locations: Water Routes, Underwater, Puddles, Seas, and Lakes
    Examples: Route 20, Route 40, Route 133 etc.
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Water Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Accuracy and Power of Electric Type moves by 10%
    -Lowers the Attack and Sp.Attack of Fire Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Lowers the Defense and Sp.Defense of Steel Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Nature Power is Surf
    -Camouflage Type is Water

In case you're wondering. Arena is sorta like the "Default" field. Also, Pokemon Types effects do stack in a way. So say you you have a Magneton in battle while City is in effect, Magneton will get a 10% boost in Attack and Sp.Attack for being Electric Type and then another for being Steel Type. It also works for Disadvantaged Types. Say Abomasnow is in battle while Peak is in effect it will get a 10% boost in Attack and Sp.Attack for being Ice Type but will then get a 10% Decrease in Attack and Sp.Attack for being Grass Type.

Since there are so many area field effects, I won't quote all of the post like I usually do.

First up is the number of benefits and hindrances each type has. Camouflage and Nature Power effects aren't included, since those don't affect the entire field; only benefits and hindrances that affect the entire field are noted:
    Normal - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Fire - 2 benefits, 3 hindrances
    Water - 1 benefit, 3 hindrances
    Electric - 2 benefits, 2 hindrances
    Grass - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Ice - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Fighting - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Poison - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Ground - 1 benefit, 3 hindrances*
    Flying - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Psychic - 0 benefits, 2 hindrances
    Bug - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Rock - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Ghost - 1 benefit, 1 hindrance
    Dragon - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Dark - 1 benefit, 1 hindrance
    Steel - 1 benefit, 3 hindrances

2) I'm assuming Arena is the default area field type. If so, the default Nature Power is Earthquake.
    3) There's still the issue of Dusk not being an actual area field, but rather a time of day, which would make it fit more under weather rather than this. But in the examples, you list caves, so maybe it could be Cave instead of Dusk?
    4) *I don't get why Desert decreases the Speed of Ground-type Pokémon.
    5) Why does a grassland increase the power of Fighting- and Normal-types?
    6) A bridge isn't a sky, and a puddle isn't an ocean. Unfortunately, trying to account for every single terrain in one of these area fields doesn't really work out.
    7) Was the intended purpose to make enough area field effects so that each of the types were equally usable? If so, the environments in which a player can have battles in don't really favor any type that doesn't have to do with rock formations, ice and rain, grass, or large bodies of water. :/

First up is the number of benefits and hindrances each type has. Camouflage and Nature Power effects aren't included, since those don't affect the entire field; only benefits and hindrances that affect the entire field are noted:
    Water - 1 benefit, 3 hindrances
    Electric - 2 benefits, 2 hindrances
    Grass - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Ice - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Fighting - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Poison - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Ground - 1 benefit, 3 hindrances*
    Flying - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Psychic - 0 benefits, 2 hindrances
    Bug - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Rock - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Ghost - 1 benefit, 1 hindrance
    Dragon - 1 benefit, 2 hindrances
    Dark - 1 benefit, 1 hindrance
    Steel - 1 benefit, 3 hindrances
    Are these your own input are are you listing mine?

2) I'm assuming Arena is the default area field type. If so, the default Nature Power is Earthquake.
    Yeah but Return is a move almost any Pokemon can learn so it kinda makes more sense to make that the default move not to mention it's Normal Type. So it's not super effective against anything.

3) There's still the issue of Dusk not being an actual area field, but rather a time of day, which would make it fit more under weather rather than this. But in the examples, you list caves, so maybe it could be Cave instead of Dusk?
    meh, idk perhaps if I change it to Darkness rather than Dusk? Cave just seems to more fitting of Rock Types, I mean how often would you find Ghost type Pokemon in a cave anyway?

4) *I don't get why Desert decreases the Speed of Ground-type Pokémon.
    Because sand slows down everything in it.

5) Why does a grassland increase the power of Fighting- and Normal-types?
    No real reason except you said a default field should not have benefits and I needed another field and there really is nothing else Fighting and Normal type Pokemon benefit from.

6) A bridge isn't a sky, and a puddle isn't an ocean. Unfortunately, trying to account for every single terrain in one of these area fields doesn't really work out.
    The bridge is not the sky but rather the shadow of the Pokemon IN the sky and I did say that shadows will now appear everywhere else that is outdoors not just bridges so say you ran into a wild Ducklett that way the battle Area Field would be Sky. As for the puddle it is a type of body of water, small, but a body of water nonetheless. Also I did say the natural Area Field that appears in battle is dependent on which tile the player is standing on. So say you are in Pacific log Town and was surfing, that counts as a natural Ocean tile. so the battle will have an Ocean Area Field. But if you are standing on one of the floating logs and got into a battle that will count as a natural City tile. Makes sense?

7) Was the intended purpose to make enough area field effects so that each of the types were equally usable? If so, the environments in which a player can have battles in don't really favor any type that doesn't have to do with rock formations, ice and rain, grass, or large bodies of water. :/
    Yes. Yeah most battles take place in those environments you listed but those are not all the environments. With the 10 I have created Every type has a "Home-playing field" if you will. Well all except Psychic, I really just cant think of an environment in which they would benefit in. :/

Besides not everything can have equal chances some have to be better than others in some aspect. Like the Pokemon, some Pokemon are weak(Luvdisc) compared to others (Haxorus). its just the hierarchy of things.

Are these your own input are are you listing mine?
    Oh, those are just the benefits and hindrances that you've listed. I just compiled them all into that list to make it less confusing.

Yeah but Return is a move almost any Pokemon can learn so it kinda makes more sense to make that the default move not to mention it's Normal Type. So it's not super effective against anything.
    Nature Power should change effect depending on the environment that the user is in. Manipulating plate tectonics (Earthquake), earth and soil (Razor Leaf), and water (Hydro Pump) all fall under environment manipulation, whereas Return doesn't. And plus, because Nature Power is a move that not every Pokémon can learn, it'd make sense for the Nature Power move to be less common rather than more common.

meh, idk perhaps if I change it to Darkness rather than Dusk? Cave just seems to more fitting of Rock Types, I mean how often would you find Ghost type Pokemon in a cave anyway?
    Yeah, I don't know how to fix that. That's up to you. (:

Because sand slows down everything in it.
    Yeah, but wouldn't the Ground-type Pokémon (more specifically, desert-dwelling Pokémon, but that'd be too complex) be used to the sand that would otherwise slow them down and not get affected by it? Just a thought.

No real reason except you said a default field should not have benefits and I needed another field and there really is nothing else Fighting and Normal type Pokemon benefit from.
    Having no benefits and no hindrances is also a sign of mechanical balance. Just because every other type gets at least one benefit and that same number of hindrances doesn't mean that Normal and Fighting have to get one, right? As long as the number of benefits is the same as the number of hindrances for any one type, then you're good.

The bridge is not the sky but rather the shadow of the Pokemon IN the sky and I did say that shadows will now appear everywhere else that is outdoors not just bridges so say you ran into a wild Ducklett that way the battle Area Field would be Sky. As for the puddle it is a type of body of water, small, but a body of water nonetheless. Also I did say the natural Area Field that appears in battle is dependent on which tile the player is standing on. So say you are in Pacific log Town and was surfing, that counts as a natural Ocean tile. so the battle will have an Ocean Area Field. But if you are standing on one of the floating logs and got into a battle that will count as a natural City tile. Makes sense?
    The Pacifidlog Town examples make sense. But I don't get the "shadow" thing. Whether or not there's a shadow covering the tile that the player is standing on, the terrain of the battlefield is still going to be the terrain of the tile that the player is standing on, not the sky.

Yes. Yeah most battles take place in those environments you listed but those are not all the environments. With the 10 I have created Every type has a "Home-playing field" if you will. Well all except Psychic, I really just cant think of an environment in which they would benefit in. :/
    Well, at least if there's nothing that boosts Psychic, it could have 0 benefits and 0 hindrances just like how I mentioned above.

Besides not everything can have equal chances some have to be better than others in some aspect. Like the Pokemon, some Pokemon are weak(Luvdisc) compared to others (Haxorus). its just the hierarchy of things.
    That's true. But comparing two Pokémon and comparing two types are two totally different things. When you're comparing Pokémon, one of the things that you use to gauge its overall usefulness is its base stat total. Generally, the higher base stat total, the better the Pokémon is. But with types, there is no definitive "weak" or "strong" type like there is a definite fact that Haxorus's BST > Luvdisc's BST.

Er I agree with wishing star on one thing: some types are too disadvantaged while others are advantaged... I mean water: 1 benefit 3 hinderance? Granted, maybe water types are "too" common, but the likes of water type are walled majorly Ferrothorn, who takes water moves and ice moves. Maybe I'm being a bit biased here....

But field effect seems like an interesting idea. Just a question, does it stack with weather. A rain boost and an ocean boost really summons blizzards up ones spine...

I have this idea though...
    Countryside
    Boosts Psychic moves by 10%
    Weakens Dark and Ghost moves by 10%
    NP is Psyshock
    Camouflage Type Psychic

And the net boost is....
    Enlightenment (Psychic)
    PP: 10/Power: --/Accuracy: --/Category: Status
    The user focuses on its natural surrounding, attaining a restful and peaceful soul, boosting special attack by 3 stages. Only workable in countryside area.

Countryside=Quiet=Peace? If you don't like it, I really ran out of ideas on psychic boosting places xD

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Yeah, but wouldn't the Ground-type Pokémon (more specifically, desert-dwelling Pokémon, but that'd be too complex) be used to the sand that would otherwise slow them down and not get affected by it? Just a thought.
    Yeah, I'm gonna change that. Also I'm making it so in Sky Fighting Type Pokemon get a decrease in offense.

But I don't get the "shadow" thing. Whether or not there's a shadow covering the tile that the player is standing on, the terrain of the battlefield is still going to be the terrain of the tile that the player is standing on, not the sky.
    The only Pokemon that can be found in the "shadow" thing are Flying Types and when you encounter them they are flying so it only makes sense to make the natural Area Field in battle Sky. Besides you cant actually walk on the sky so I guess you can say Sky is the exception the tile rule.

That's true. But comparing two Pokémon and comparing two types are two totally different things. When you're comparing Pokémon, one of the things that you use to gauge its overall usefulness is its base stat total. Generally, the higher base stat total, the better the Pokémon is. But with types, there is no definitive "weak" or "strong" type like there is a definite fact that Haxorus's BST > Luvdisc's BST.
    So you wouldn't say Fighting-Type is better than Poison? Fighting can deal super effective damage to 5 Types while Poison can only deal super effective damage to 1 Type.

Er I agree with wishing star on one thing: some types are too disadvantaged while others are advantaged... I mean water: 1 benefit 3 hinderance? Granted, maybe water types are "too" common, but the likes of water type are walled majorly Ferrothorn, who takes water moves and ice moves. Maybe I'm being a bit biased here....
    But what other environment is there in which water Type Pokemon benefit from? when you think "Water" you think Ocean or Sea or Lake, all of which count as Ocean.

But field effect seems like an interesting idea. Just a question, does it stack with weather. A rain boost and an ocean boost really summons blizzards up ones spine...
    Well it stacks with Dual Typing's, so an Abomasnow would benefit and hinder from a Peak Area Field, thus canceling it out. As for Weather, Weather boosts the power of the move depending on the Type but Area Fields boost the Offense of the Pokemon depending on their Type(s).

I have this idea though...
    Countryside
    Boosts Psychic moves by 10%
    Weakens Dark and Ghost moves by 10%
    NP is Psyshock
    Camouflage Type Psychic

And the net boost is....
    Enlightenment (Psychic)
    PP: 10/Power: --/Accuracy: --/Category: Status
    The user focuses on its natural surrounding, attaining a restful and peaceful soul, boosting special attack by 3 stages. Only workable in countryside area.

Countryside=Quiet=Peace? If you don't like it, I really ran out of ideas on psychic boosting places xD
    Sorry, I don't like it lol. When I think of the Area Fields I sorta think of environment rather than location. So like Water Types would obviously benefit from an Ocean and Grass Types from a Forest but Psychic type really have no "Home playing field" which actually makes me wonder if Psychic Pokemon are even natural Pokemon at all? Seems like they were mutated somehow.....but that is for a whole other thread.

what's with you guys/girls taking over this place

New Move: Calm Heart (yeah not creative)
    The user raises its sp attack and defense by 1

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    what's with you guys/girls taking over this place

New Move: Calm Heart (yeah not creative)
    The user raises its sp attack and defense by 1
    Or maybe just give Calm Mind a bigger distribution?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow♠ View Post
    Or maybe just give Calm Mind a bigger distribution?
    Victini and Reshiram would love Calm Mind while Celebi needs Psyshock

Yeah, I'm gonna change that. Also I'm making it so in Sky Fighting Type Pokemon get a decrease in offense.
    Okay, but just keep in mind that that would make Fighting-types less viable (in terms of area field effects) than they already are.

So you wouldn't say Fighting-Type is better than Poison? Fighting can deal super effective damage to 5 Types while Poison can only deal super effective damage to 1 Type.
    Type matchups are just one of the things that are considered when comparing types. A type isn't "better" if it has more super-effective type matchups than another type; if that were the case, Ground and Fighting would be the best, no other way around it. But most types also have other tools at their disposal that makes them useful, too.

One of the reasons why Garchomp is so powerful is that its high base Attack and Speed stats, along with coverage, makes it able to defeat a lot of foes very easily. A Dusclops, on the other hand, has significantly lower offensive potential than Garchomp, but that doesn't mean that Garchomp is better than Dusknoir.

One of the general uses of the Fighting type is that it is able to nab super effective hits on a lot of Pokémon. Poison isn't like that; the type generally involves using the poison status to whittle foes down and stall them out.

But what other environment is there in which water Type Pokemon benefit from? when you think "Water" you think Ocean or Sea or Lake, all of which count as Ocean.
    That's something that I honestly don't have the answer to. The fact that there are many bodies of water throughout the game just increases the chance that Water-types are benefited. I think the question isn't how to make an area effect that makes Water-type Pokémon more powerful, but rather how to make the entire area field mechanic balanced for each type.

Sorry, I don't like it lol. When I think of the Area Fields I sorta think of environment rather than location. So like Water Types would obviously benefit from an Ocean and Grass Types from a Forest but Psychic type really have no "Home playing field".
    Psychic could have 0 benefits and 0 hindrances and that'd also be totally okay.

Move: Nunchaku Beatdown.

type: fighting
    power: 55
    acc: 90
    hits twice.

ability: Counter Strike
    effect: when hit by a direct attack, there is a 20% chance that this pokemon will take no damage from the attack, and the attacker will receive 1/16 of their health in damage.

new pokemon:
    Shinjitsu (ninja poke)
    type: dark/fighting
    abilities: Technician/Poison Touch/Counter Strike (pdw)
    stats:
    hp: 71
    atk: 106
    def: 69
    sp.atk: 40
    sp.def: 69
    spe: 134

moves of interest: beat up, force palm, assurance, above move, fake out, low sweep.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    Move: Nunchaku Beatdown.

type: fighting
    power: 55
    acc: 90
    hits twice.
    55 x 2 = 110
    110 x 0.9 = effective 99 base power without any drawback

Seems alright, considering that Hydro Pump is effectively 96 base power due to its accuracy.

ability: Counter Strike
    effect: when hit by a direct attack, there is a 20% chance that this pokemon will take no damage from the attack, and the attacker will receive 1/16 of their health in damage.
    This could potentially be broken. If the foe attacks first with a priority move or something and this ability triggers, the opponent has basically wasted a turn without actually having taken any risk (a risk being things like sacrificing accuracy for power, or attacking when confused). This same no-risk-being-potentially-broken thing is the same for evasion boosts, too.

new pokemon:
    Shinjitsu (ninja poke)
    type: dark/fighting
    abilities: Technician/Poison Touch/Counter Strike (pdw)
    stats:
    hp: 71
    atk: 106
    def: 69
    sp.atk: 40
    sp.def: 69
    spe: 134

moves of interest: beat up, force palm, assurance, above move, fake out, low sweep.
    I don't know about you, but when I think ninjutsu, I think more like magic stuff, but that interpretation's up to you, so I won't be pesky about it.

This seems really powerful. Add Technician in and I'm pretty sure it'd be extremely widely used.

the ability doesn't work on priority.

and that poke is really fragile, so it really can't take a hit. also, it gets camoflaugue, (i know i spelled it wrong) but that's just for flavor.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

the ability doesn't work on priority.
    So it only works on Prankster-incompatible moves with 0 priority (Tackle, Ice Punch, Close Combat)? And do other effects of the move happen (Ice Punch's chance to freeze, Close Combat's Defense and Sp. Def penalty, Brave Bird's recoil, as examples)?

and that poke is really fragile, so it really can't take a hit. also, it gets camoflaugue, (i know i spelled it wrong) but that's just for flavor.
    Camouflage actually seems really neat for it.

But still, if its Speed and Attack are high enough, its defensive stats wouldn't really be needed. Most priority moves wouldn't one-hit KO it even if it were something like Vacuum Wave.

if the ability activates, secondary effects do not apply. except in the case of freeze or flinch, which negates the ability even if it would activiate, but only if the secondary effect would trigger on the attack the ability negates. is that too complicated?

Revamped Version: v.05 Final Version!!!!(I bet u all are tired of me posting this lol)

New Mechanics!!!

Area Fields:

Each one has its benefits and disadvantages depending on the Type of the Pokemon In battle. It will change the scenery in the battle. Each Area Field will last 5 Turns if used by a Move or activated by an Ability. However if the Area Field is encountered naturally it will remain present until another Area Field takes its place. The natural Area field that appears in battle is dependent on which tile the player is standing on (with the exception of Sky). Only one Area Field may be present at one time, and only the most recent Area Field will take effect. Nature Power and Camouflage will now be affected by Area Fields.

Arena
    Locations: Inside Houses and Plain terrains
    Examples: Players starting house
    -Camouflage Type is Normal

Move necessary for forced Transformation:

New Move: Coliseum

Type / Power: -- / Accuracy: --% / PP: 5 / Target: All / Category: / Priority: 0
    "The user calls upon the forces of nature to transform the Area Field into Arena"

City
    Locations: Cities, Towns and Populated areas
    Examples: Cerulean City, Blackthorn City, Oldale Town, Resort Area, Castelia City etc.
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Steel Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Electric type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Poison Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Pokemon cannot be inflicted with the Sleep status while City is present(This includes your opponent(s) Pokemon)
    -Has a 5% chance of Poisoning(Regular) the Pokemon in battle once per turn(this includes your own Pokemon)
    -Nature Power is Sludge Bomb
    -Camouflage Type is Steel

New Move: Skyscraper

"The user calls upon the forces of nature to transform the Area Field into City"

Darkness
    Locations: Caves and Dark areas
    Examples: Diglett's Cave, Granite Cave, Dark Cave, Distortion World, Challengers Cave etc.
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Ghost Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Dark Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Lowers the Accuracy of Non-Ghost & Dark Type Pokemon by 10 %
    -Has a 5% chance of to inflict Sleep Status to the Pokemon in battle once per turn(This includes your own Pokemon)
    -Darkness is removed if Harsh sunlight comes out via Drought or Sunny Day
    -Nature Power is Shadow Ball
    -Camouflage Type is Ghost

New Move: Murk

"The user calls upon the forces of nature to transform the Area Field into Darkness"

Desert
    Locations: Dessert, Sand, Deep Sand and Wasteland areas
    Examples: Dessert Resort, Route 111(Dessert area), Route 228
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Ground Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Lowers the Attack and Sp.Attack of Water Type Pokemon
    -Lowers the Speed of Non-Flying, Ground Type Pokemon & Pokemon without Levitate by 10%
    -Pokemon with Sand Rush or Sand Force are unaffected by the speed drop
    -Sandstorm will now deal 1/10 each turn
    -Sandstorm will now last 8 turns
    -Has a 5% chance of Confusing the Pokemon in battle once per turn(this includes your own Pokemon)
    -Camouflage Type is Ground

New Move: Arid

"The user calls upon the forces of nature to transform the Area Field into Desert"

Forest
    Locations: Forests and Hidden Grotto's
    Examples:Viridian Forest, Ilex Forest, Petalburg Woods, Eterna Forest, Pinwheel Forest etc.
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Grass Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Bug Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Critical Hit Ratio of Fire Type moves.
    -Nature Power is Seed Bomb

New Move: Woodland

"The user calls upon the forces of nature to transform the Area Field into Forest"

Grassland
    Locations: Grass and Tall Grass
    Examples: Route 29 etc
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Fighting Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Normal Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Nature Power is Grass knot

New Move: Savanna

"The user calls upon the forces of nature to transform the Area Field into Grassland"

Mountain
    Locations: Mountains and Volcano's
    Examples: Mt.Chimney, Mt.Coronet, Twist Mountain etc.
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Rock Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Fire Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Nature Power is Rock Slide
    Camouflage Type is Rock

New Move: Everet

"The user calls upon the forces of nature to transform the Area Field into Mountain"

Peak
    Locations: Mountain tops, Snow and Frozen areas
    Examples: Mt Coronet summit, Route 217, Route 216 etc.
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Ice Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Lowers the Attack and Sp.Attack of Grass Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Hail will now deal 1/10 each turn
    -Hail will now last 8 turns
    -Has a 5% chance to inflict Freeze status to the Pokemon in battle once per turn(This includes your own Pokemon)
    -Nature Power is Avalanche
    -Camouflage Type is Ice

New Move: Tundra

"The user calls upon the forces of nature to transform the Area Field into Peak"

Sky
    Locations: High elevated areas and shadows(which can now be found all over instead of just bridges)
    Examples: Top of Sky Piller, Top of Celestial Tower
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Flying Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Dragon Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Lowers the Attack and Special Attack of Fighting Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Lowers all Ground Type Moves Accuracy by 50%
    -Nature Power is Aircutter
    -Camouflage Type is Flying

New Move: Azure

"The user calls upon the forces of nature to transform the Area Field into Sky"

Ocean
    Locations: Water Routes, Underwater, Puddles, Seas, Rivers and Lakes
    Examples: Route 20, Route 40, Route 133 etc.
    -Raises the Attack and Sp.Attack of Water Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Raises the Accuracy and Power of Electric Type moves by 10%
    -Lowers the Attack and Sp.Attack of Fire Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Lowers the Defense and Sp.Defense of Steel Type Pokemon by 10%
    -Nature Power is Surf
    -Camouflage Type is Water

New Move: Marine

"The user calls upon the forces of nature to transform the Area Field into Ocean"

In case you're wondering. Arena is sorta like the "Default" field. Also, Pokemon Types effects do stack in a way. So say you you have a Magneton in battle while City is in effect, Magneton will get a 10% boost in Attack and Sp.Attack for being Electric Type and then another for being Steel Type. It also works for Disadvantaged Types. Say Abomasnow is in battle while Peak is in effect it will get a 10% boost in Attack and Sp.Attack for being Ice Type but will then get a 10% Decrease in Attack and Sp.Attack for being Grass Type.

if the ability activates, secondary effects do not apply. except in the case of freeze or flinch, which negates the ability even if it would activiate, but only if the secondary effect would trigger on the attack the ability negates. is that too complicated?
    Erm... would you mind posting an example?

Revamped Version: v.05 Final Version!!!!(I bet u all are tired of me posting this lol)

New Mechanics!!!

Area Fields:

Each one has its benefits and disadvantages depending on the Type of the Pokemon In battle. It will change the scenery in the battle. Each Area Field will last 5 Turns if used by a Move or activated by an Ability. However if the Area Field is encountered naturally it will remain present until another Area Field takes its place. The natural Area field that appears in battle is dependent on which tile the player is standing on (with the exception of Sky). Only one Area Field may be present at one time, and only the most recent Area Field will take effect. Nature Power and Camouflage will now be affected by Area Fields.

Spoiler:- Truncated for page-stretching prevention:
    The environment in which a battle is taking place can be both for aesthetic reasons ("ooh, I'm fighting in a grassy field") and to make mechanics that require information pertinent to that environment work. However (and I'm going to say this again), if the mechanics impose advantages and disadvantages based on things that the environment shouldn't affect at all, then at least those advantages and disadvantages should be completely balanced out. In other words, Nature Power, Secret Power, and Camouflage are not examples of mechanics that are based on things that the environment shouldn't otherwise affect, because the moves innately need the environment to "tell them what to do"; stat increases aren't things that the environment dictates. Yes, the entire mechanic of area fields is within flavor (some Pokémon being better at swimming in large bodies of water than others, for example), but in this situation, the flavor aspect should be dropped for mechanical design reasons.

Having said that, I'll start that list of benefits and hindrances again:
    There's already an imbalance with the first two types on the list.

One thing that I think you skimmed over is that the list of benefits and hindrances can be balanced if each of them are "2 benefits, 1 hindrance", if one has "2 benefits, 1 hindrance" and another has "4 benefits, 2 hindrances", or if one has "1 benefit, 1 hindrance" and another has "0 benefits, 0 hindrances". Obviously, it would be best balanced if each type had "0 benefits, 0 hindrances", but that's not the point of the mechanic that you introduced.

The environment in which a battle is taking place can be both for aesthetic reasons ("ooh, I'm fighting in a grassy field") and to make mechanics that require information pertinent to that environment work. However (and I'm going to say this again), if the mechanics impose advantages and disadvantages based on things that the environment shouldn't affect at all, then at least those advantages and disadvantages should be completely balanced out. In other words, Nature Power, Secret Power, and Camouflage are not examples of mechanics that are based on things that the environment shouldn't otherwise affect, because the moves innately need the environment to "tell them what to do"; stat increases aren't things that the environment dictates. Yes, the entire mechanic of area fields is within flavor (some Pokémon being better at swimming in large bodies of water than others, for example), but in this situation, the flavor aspect should be dropped for mechanical design reasons.
    The point of the Area Fields was to boost Pokemon in their natural environment. Not to boost the moves they used, if I did that then they would be nothing but over-glorified Weather. By changing that you are changing the whole point of the mechanic.

Having said that, I'll start that list of benefits and hindrances again:
    There's already an imbalance with the first two types on the list.

One thing that I think you skimmed over is that the list of benefits and hindrances can be balanced if each of them are "2 benefits, 1 hindrance", if one has "2 benefits, 1 hindrance" and another has "4 benefits, 2 hindrances", or if one has "1 benefit, 1 hindrance" and another has "0 benefits, 0 hindrances". Obviously, it would be best balanced if each type had "0 benefits, 0 hindrances", but that's not the point of the mechanic that you introduced.
    Some Types can hit more Types for super effective damage(2 for Steel and 1 for Poison). Some Types resist more Types than other Types(11 + an immunity for Steel while 3 for Poison). By that same logic there is no balance in the Types either. Some Types just get more benefit than others they all can't have the same amount of benefits and hindrances.

Page 29 of 88 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast