Page 45 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2185

Thread: Create &/or Change Anything & Everything Competitive Edition!

It does, but it doesn't really make sense for most of the Pokémon mentioned, nor does it seem detrimental enough (in the case of Starmie).
    Losing a resistance is actually a pretty big deal, you know. This gives it even less ability to switch in on fire attacks.

But honestly, this is the competitive section. This isn't about if it makes sense, this is about if it's balanced. And with the rarity of cutting attacks, it is. I just wanted a good ability for my hydra pokemon...

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Where's Shadow Claw and Cross Poison?

But the rarity of these moves (actually, Night Slash, Leaf Blade, Psycho Cut, and X-Scissor aren't that rare) doesn't really justify such a big HP restoration percentage. Giving a +6 Attack move to Sunkern and Sunkern only won't happen despite its rarity because of the potency of the move, and giving the afflicted Pokémon a 40% HP restoration despite the rarity of these cutting moves is similar.
    You are greatly overestimating the power of this ability.

Literally nothing in OU runs Night Slash.

The only Pokemon that can run Psycho Cut that is commonly used is... Alakazam who never runs it for obvious reasons.

Nothing CAN run Leaf Blade in OU, unless you count near-OU-but-actually-UU Virizion (whom often just runs Calm Mind).

X-Scissor isn't really used on anything except filler on some Terrakion.

(if Shadow Claw and Cross Poison count, nothing uses them either)

40% is fine. Adding the fire weakness if anything nerfs it to the point of being worthless. At least in standard play it would be weak. In-game it would be pretty cool, at least until you reach level 10 and things stop using Scratch. Maybe make it so it heals 25% whenever hit with a contact move but doesn't make it immune to them. So say Close Combat does 60% to you, the hydra would restore 25% of its health after taking the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post

The only Pokemon that can run Psycho Cut that is commonly used is... Alakazam who never runs it for obvious reasons.

Nothing CAN run Leaf Blade in OU, unless you count near-OU-but-actually-UU Virizion (whom often just runs Calm Mind).

40% is fine. Adding the fire weakness if anything nerfs it to the point of being worthless. At least in standard play it would be weak. In-game it would be pretty cool, at least until you reach level 10 and things stop using Scratch. Maybe make it so it heals 25% whenever hit with a contact move but doesn't make it immune to them. So say Close Combat does 60% to you, the hydra would restore 25% of its health after taking the damage.
    It actually is an underwhelming ability competitively, I agree, but I'm sure GF makes the abilities like equal, like making Water Absorb 25% and Volt Absorb the same, instead of unbalancing them. I'm not even very sure that GF actually recognises competitive battling, oh well...

I think it should just be nerfed to 25% like Water Absorb and Volt Absorb WITHOUT the fire weakness. Wah-lah! Done~

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Interesting idea.....it would work well with SR, but most Dragons you'll be seeing in OU are so offensive they'll easily take out a pokemon below 50% of it's health, so besides them, what other pokemon would get this move?

Edit: Oh, the user, not the opponent. Okay, but I still don't think it's that great for offensive pokemon.
    I planned it to be a move to be used on Defensive Pokemon; Dragons specifically.

Several issues with this move:
    1) I see that it can hit non-adjacent Pokémon in Triple Battles. Is this intended?
    2) Why can't it hit Steel-type Pokémon? It's Dragon-type, not Poison-type, so it doesn't really make sense. If the intention is that an eraser doesn't affect metal, then the move shouldn't be Dragon-type in the first place.
    3) If it's not blocked by Substitute, does the Substitute take the damage, or does the move pretend like the Substitute doesn't exist (and therefore doesn't make the substitute break)?
    4) The user needing to have 50% or less of its HP actually makes the move more broken than if the user needs to have 100% of its HP. This is because a -4 stat change and a 49% HP drop is less of a penalty than a -4 stat change and a 99% HP drop.
    1)Yes
    2)It's giving the move a character of it's own
    3)Doesn't break the Sub but still drains HP and has chance to Paralyze
    4)It's more-so an added stipulation/cost to using the move

Ability: Regrowth
    Effect: If hit by a cutting attack, the pokemon will restore 40% of it's health. However, the pokemon is also given a weakness to fire.
    Distribution: Tengela, Tengrowth, Slowpoke/King/Bro, Deoxys, Starmie.

Pokemon: Hydritile
    Type: Dragon/Poison
    HP: 125
    Att: 110
    Def: 85
    Sp.att: 60
    Sp.def: 85
    Speed: 20
    Abilities: Regrowth

Viable Moves: Dragon Claw, Outrage, Earthquake, Flare Blitz, Dragon Dance, Crunch, Dragon Tail, Recover.

Just because I want a pokemon inspired by the Greek version of the hydra. That's also why I made the ability.

It's probably already been aid, but also give Shuckle Poison Heal. It would simply love that ability.
    i dont see why you gave it flare blitz aside from you wanting to give more coverage. and the fire weakness isn't enough to alence it considering dragon resists fire. that comes out as x1 damage from fire.and lower regrowth's hit point recovery. maybe like 20 percent.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Losing a resistance is actually a pretty big deal, you know. This gives it even less ability to switch in on fire attacks.

But honestly, this is the competitive section. This isn't about if it makes sense, this is about if it's balanced. And with the rarity of cutting attacks, it is. I just wanted a good ability for my hydra pokemon...
    Alright, now that I think about it, losing a resistance (or in the other mentioned Pokémon's cases, gaining a weakness) is a pretty big deal for them.

As for the second point, different people make moves for different reasons. It's quite clear that you don't care for the flavor behind the moves you make, and that's fine; I just didn't know that and proceeded to rate the move based on both flavor and competitive balance (the latter of which I admit I didn't do that well).

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post

Mentioning Shadow Claw and Cross Poison was also for flavor reasons; again, not everybody cares for flavor, so I'll dismiss this.

Many Pokémon that employ these "cutting moves" don't have a Fire-type move that they could use to take advantage of this ability. Similarly, many Pokémon that employ Fire-type moves don't have "cutting moves" that would give the foe a benefit. A Weavile whose only super-effective move on its foe being Night Slash would most likely switch out to a Pokémon with a Fire-type move, giving the Pokémon with this ability a free turn, but afterward, it would most likely switch out, predicting the Fire-type move. (I'm not saying that the ability's penalty is almost never seen in this regard, I'm just putting it out there.)

As for the proposal of restoring 25% HP after being hit by a contact move, 25% would probably be the maximum percentage. Iron Barbs is a 12.5%-ish HP penalty for the user of the contact move, and it's already a really good ability; giving the damaged Pokémon a 12.5%-ish HP recovery is pretty much the same (in terms of benefit for the user). Increasing the recovery to 25% would probably be the maximum without it being too overpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    1)Yes
    2)It's giving the move a character of it's own
    3)Doesn't break the Sub but still drains HP and has chance to Paralyze
    4)It's more-so an added stipulation/cost to using the move
    1) Alright.
    2) But then why is it Dragon-type? Of course, if the intention is just to give a move for Dragon-type Pokémon to use, feel free to ignore the question, but it's the type-to-effect correlation of the move that I'm not really getting.
    3) Does it deplete the HP of the substitute and have a chance of paralyzing the Pokémon, or does it deplete the HP of the actual Pokémon and have a chance of paralyzing it (as though the substitute doesn't exist)?
    4) Personally, making it so that the move fails unless the user is below 50% HP is a feel-bad design decision. I could see it working like Reversal, where it has almost no effect until the user is at very low amounts of health.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Today is ability day. Get a new ability today!

Abilities

Ice Swift
    Speed is doubled in hail.
    - Basically an ice oriented Sand Rush

Snow Force
    All ice type attacks are increased in power by one stage.
    - Ice oriented Sand Force, nuff said

Here are more creative ones

Shed Leaf
    Speed is boosted by two stages when weather change
    Example 1:
    MissingNo has Shed Leaf, Politoed has Drizzle and Ninetales has Drought

Turn 0: MissingNo is sent out, Politoed is sent out, It is Raining
    Turn 1: MissingNo uses Rock Slide, Politoed fainted
    Turn 2.0: Ninetales is sent out, It is sunny: MissingNo's Shed Leaf sharply raises its speed

Pre Charged
    All moves that requires recharging will do 20% more damage.

Final Ace
    When the pokemon is the last on the team, it will boost attack by two stages when switched in, but also lowers defense by one stage.

Sharp Eye
    When attacking, there is a chance that it will hit the foe's weak point.
    - Competitively speaking: There is a 30% chance that it will hit the foe at a -1 defense even though it's just normal.

Items

Accurate Shot: Boosts the chance of Sharp Eye happening
    - From 30% of hitting foe's weak point into 50%. Wala~

Magic Thief: Steals all the items when the pokemon is in field.
    - Prevents item usage when the pokemon switches in, including the user
    Let's do another example
    MissingNo has Magic Thief as an item, Salamence has Life Orb

Turn 0: MissingNo is sent out, Salamence has Life Orb. MissingNo's Magic Thief steals Salamence's Life Orb. Magic Thief disappears with the Life Orb!

Yeah 1-time-usage

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Today is ability day. Get a new ability today!

Abilities

Ice Swift
    Speed is doubled in hail.
    - Basically an ice oriented Sand Rush

Snow Force
    All ice type attacks are increased in power by one stage.
    - Ice oriented Sand Force, nuff said

Here are more creative ones

Shed Leaf
    Speed is boosted by two stages when weather change
    Example 1:
    MissingNo has Shed Leaf, Politoed has Drizzle and Ninetales has Drought

Turn 0: MissingNo is sent out, Politoed is sent out, It is Raining
    Turn 1: MissingNo uses Rock Slide, Politoed fainted
    Turn 2.0: Ninetales is sent out, It is sunny: MissingNo's Shed Leaf sharply raises its speed

Pre Charged
    All moves that requires recharging will do 20% more damage.

Final Ace
    When the pokemon is the last on the team, it will boost attack by two stages when switched in, but also lowers defense by one stage.

Sharp Eye
    When attacking, there is a chance that it will hit the foe's weak point.
    - Competitively speaking: There is a 30% chance that it will hit the foe at a -1 defense even though it's just normal.

Items

Accurate Shot: Boosts the chance of Sharp Eye happening
    - From 30% of hitting foe's weak point into 50%. Wala~

Magic Thief: Steals all the items when the pokemon is in field.
    - Prevents item usage when the pokemon switches in, including the user
    Let's do another example
    MissingNo has Magic Thief as an item, Salamence has Life Orb

Turn 0: MissingNo is sent out, Salamence has Life Orb. MissingNo's Magic Thief steals Salamence's Life Orb. Magic Thief disappears with the Life Orb!

Yeah 1-time-usage
    Ice Swift and Snow Force - These are fine, as they're counterparts to already-existing abilities.

Shed Leaf - Seems alright. It'd probably have to be changed to +1 Speed (which is still nothing to scoff at). By the way, Shed Leaf would trigger on Turn 0 when the weather initially turns rainy.

Pre-Charged - So moves like Hyper Beam and Giga Impact would be affected by this, right?

Final Ace - I never really liked battle mechanics that depended on the number of Pokémon on the team, but that's just my opinion. The ability definitely works, but I'm a bit iffy about it.

Sharp Eye - If the foe is already at -6 Defense, if Sharp Eye activates, will it treat it as though the Pokémon had -7 Defense instead? Or how about if the Pokémon has Big Pecks or Clear Body?

Accurate Shot - The only thing I don't like about this is that it does absolutely nothing if the holder doesn't have Sharp Eye. It should at least do something if the holder doesn't have that ability.

Magic Thief - It seems pretty nasty, especially when the holder is switched out against just the right foe. Is this item Recyclable, though? If it is, some Pokémon would probably run this item just to get an item-number advantage.

1) Alright.
    2) But then why is it Dragon-type? Of course, if the intention is just to give a move for Dragon-type Pokémon to use, feel free to ignore the question, but it's the type-to-effect correlation of the move that I'm not really getting.
    3) Does it deplete the HP of the substitute and have a chance of paralyzing the Pokémon, or does it deplete the HP of the actual Pokémon and have a chance of paralyzing it (as though the substitute doesn't exist)?
    4) Personally, making it so that the move fails unless the user is below 50% HP is a feel-bad design decision. I could see it working like Reversal, where it has almost no effect until the user is at very low amounts of health.
    2)If you want me to change it, I will, if it bugs you that much lol. I was just trying to give the move a character/life of its own.
    3)The Sub's HP isn't drained but it drains the opponents remaining HP and has a chance to paralyze. So really Sub is a counter to it in a way.
    4)It gives it a stand-offish effect when both are down to 1 HP

Give Vaporeon Calm Mind, that will make her take special hits better while nabbing a boosted STAB Water mov when doing her defense skills that will make her a sorta new Crocune for sure despite lower bulk (I think) and slow speed.

Final Ace
    I really like this one. Cool.

FC: 4699-6505-4258
    IGN: Diva

depsnds on who gets it. broken on guys like terra. or any scarfer, in fact.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Final Pace is not good IMO, it would make the user die more easily depending on its bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    2)If you want me to change it, I will, if it bugs you that much lol. I was just trying to give the move a character/life of its own.
    3)The Sub's HP isn't drained but it drains the opponents remaining HP and has a chance to paralyze. So really Sub is a counter to it in a way.
    4)It gives it a stand-offish effect when both are down to 1 HP
    2) Well, it's you who made the move, so obviously if you don't feel like it shouldn't be changed, then feel free not to change it. Just keep in mind that just because it's not Dragon-type doesn't mean that Dragon-type Pokémon can't learn the move.
    3) Okay.
    4) I get that that's the feeling that's you're trying to evoke in the first place, but still, the move should still do something if the user isn't below 50%.

New Move: White Breath
    Type: Dragon / Power: 80 / Accuracy: 100 / PP: 15 / Target: Single adjacent Pokémon / Category: Special / Priority: 0
    "The user exhales a high-energy breath of mist at the target. It may lower the target's evasiveness."
    - White Breath has a 10% chance of lowering the foe's evasiveness by one stage.

Evasiness drops aren't much of an issue IMO, maybe remove all stat changes?!

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    Final Pace is not good IMO, it would make the user die more easily depending on its bulk.
    And, considering that it's a last resort ability, I think it'd actually be pretty balanced if it didn't lower defense.

Evasiness drops aren't much of an issue IMO, maybe remove all stat changes?!
    Nah. Evasiveness drops don't really mean anything on the surface, but when you consider that it's half of the difference between a 67%-accurate and a 100%-accurate move, it actually can mean quite a bit.

Speaking of which, what you says gives me an idea...

Type: Dragon / Power: 80 / Accuracy: 100 / PP: 15 / Target: Single adjacent Pokémon / Category: Special / Priority: 0
    "The user exhales a high-energy breath of mist at the target. It may lower the target's evasiveness."
    What's the point of this? Dragon Pulse is better in almost every way, and lowering evasiveness won't help that much, considering a) how easy it is to switch out and lose the drop
    b) how low of a chance it is
    Maybe this would be good in-game mid-way, but otherwise, it's kinda useless :/

And now, an ability of my own:
    Steady Focus: When you switch in to a type that is super-effective to yours, your Attack and Speed are boosted by one stage.
    Pokemon: Mienshao/Mienfoo, Gallade, Absol, Medicham/Meditite (even if it would be kinda useless)
    This could actually really help Absol and give Gallade a usable ability.
    Also:
    Paralyzing Fear: Lowers opponent's Speed on the switch in
    Pokemon: Kyurem, Hydreigon, Dusknoir, Rampardos, Granbull
    Kind of a free kill or can ruin sweeps. It's also just a more useful ability for these pokemon.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Quote Originally Posted by Soperman View Post
    What's the point of this? Dragon Pulse is better in almost every way, and lowering evasiveness won't help that much, considering a) how easy it is to switch out and lose the drop
    b) how low of a chance it is
    Maybe this would be good in-game mid-way, but otherwise, it's kinda useless :/
    Many moves are used for their Defense or Sp. Def drop, and foes just live with the stat drop.

As far as the comparison between White Breath and Dragon Pulse goes, I do agree that Dragon Pulse is almost always better (in terms of payout). White Breath would be an alternative for either Pokémon that enjoy the foe having evasiveness drops or Pokémon that can't learn Dragon Pulse.

And now, an ability of my own:
    Steady Focus: When you switch in to a type that is super-effective to yours, your Attack and Speed are boosted by one stage.
    Pokemon: Mienshao/Mienfoo, Gallade, Absol, Medicham/Meditite (even if it would be kinda useless)
    This could actually really help Absol and give Gallade a usable ability.
    Also:
    Paralyzing Fear: Lowers opponent's Speed on the switch in
    Pokemon: Kyurem, Hydreigon, Dusknoir, Rampardos, Granbull
    Kind of a free kill or can ruin sweeps. It's also just a more useful ability for these pokemon.
    Steady Focus - The ability itself seems pretty good. There's one thing about the current game mechanics that would make this unfair, though.
    If both you and your foe switch into a Pokémon with Intimidate, the one that is switched in first will have its Intimidate trigger on a Pokémon that would be switched out anyway, rendering its Intimidate trigger useless. In the same vein, if you switched out your Lanturn with an Absol first before your opponent switches out their Mienshao with a Braviary, and Absol has Steady Focus, Absol would get the stat boosts due to the Mienshao being on the field, even though the Mienshao isn't the one actually fighting the Absol. But this isn't a fault with the actual ability; it's a fault with the game mechanics.

Paralyzing Fear - Intimidate counterpart. It works, I guess. They made the Choice Scarf and Choice Specs to counterpart the Choice Band, so I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Well, it would be quite broken if it's just pure +2 attack right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
    depsnds on who gets it. broken on guys like terra. or any scarfer, in fact.
    Since Ace, I'm going along the lines of Victini or some other victory pokemon :P

New attack and a New Baton Pass

Mass Teleport (Psychic)
    PP: 15/Power: --/Accuracy: --/Category: Status/Priority: 0/Target: Selected Foe
    The user teleports both the user and the foe back to their trainer.
    - The reason why I didn't do a negative priority is that there is a setback. Since you're going BACK to your trainer, that also means that the pokemon that switches in will take entry hazard damage. Another reason is that this doesn't do damage at all, unlike U-Turn or Volt Switch.

Renewed Attack
    Teleport (Psychic)
    PP: 15/Power: --/Accuracy: --/Category: Status/Priority: 0/Target: Self
    The user teleports back to the user and switches out, while allowing the pokemon that switches in to keep stat changes.
    - Baton Pass!

Item
    Aura Shield
    When forced out, it will never take entry hazard damage.
    - It's permanent, but it is FORCED OUT. That means you still take damage from normal SR due to switching, but it's a great counter to Whirlwind/Roar.

Dummy
    Uses 1/8 more hp for substitute, but substitute also has more hp.
    - 1/8 for 1/8 deal. Yay

ASB Squad

I think you should make the evasion drop rate higher considering it sacrifices power(Dragon pulse) for that added effect.

Well, it would be quite broken if it's just pure +2 attack right?
    Actually considering it's the last Pokemon, +2 Attack is probably not enough maybe +2 Attack, Sp.Attack and Speed as well as the -2 Defense and Sp.Defense?

Mass Teleport (Psychic)
    - The reason why I didn't do a negative priority is that there is a setback. Since you're going BACK to your trainer, that also means that the pokemon that switches in will take entry hazard damage. Another reason is that this doesn't do damage at all, unlike U-Turn or Volt Switch.
    So what happens when the user moves before the Foe(s)? Does the switched in Pokemon not move?

Renewed Attack
    Teleport (Psychic)
    The user teleports back to the user and switches out, while allowing the pokemon that switches in to keep stat changes.
    - Baton Pass!
    I mean it basically does what baton pass does but with less PP to work with not sure what to think of it. :/

Item
    Aura Shield
    - It's permanent, but it is FORCED OUT. That means you still take damage from normal SR due to switching, but it's a great counter to Whirlwind/Roar.
    I think you mean when forced in, right? Because that's what Whirldwind and Roar do. However I do love the concept. Very situational though don't see it getting much use.

Dummy
    - 1/8 for 1/8 deal. Yay
    Me like, me like

Wait this is an ability right?

FC: 4699-6505-4258
    IGN: Diva

Dummy is an item. Sadly :3 If it was an ability, it would be quite broken since Substitute + Recovery + Eviolite would be quite... o_O

Also, lower Shednja's defense/special defense to 1 and dump all of them in speed and attack.

It should be like
    1/125/1/30/1/79

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    I think you should make the evasion drop rate higher considering it sacrifices power(Dragon pulse) for that added effect.
    Yeah, but the evasion drop is an effect that Dragon Pulse doesn't have. Sacrificing 10 power for a secondary effect, especially one that isn't often that noticeable, is fine.

Mass Teleport (Psychic)
    This has to have negative priority. Players could keep having their Pokémon use Mass Teleport until dumb luck shows and their foe sends out a Pokémon that your Pokémon is good against. (The foe won't know what Pokémon you send out since both of you select at the same time.) There's a reason why Roar and Whirlwind have negative priority.

Teleport (Psychic)
    - Baton Pass!
    To be honest, I don't see the point in making this Baton Pass. Baton Pass is already a pretty "specific" move as it is based on distribution, and while Teleport is also "specific" in this regard, it doesn't really seem right. :/

Item
    Aura Shield
    The only thing that prevents this from working is that the game doesn't know whether or not any Pokémon is "forced out" onto the battlefield.

Dummy
    - 1/8 for 1/8 deal. Yay
    Yeah, I guess this works.

Ring of Fire (Fire)
    PP:5 Power: 80 Accuracy:100 Category:Special Target: All pokemon on field
    The user summons forth a massive Ring of Fire that surrounds the field and slowly closes in on the pokemon. Each turn, a small amount of Fire Damage is dealt to both Pokemon, and after three three turns, the Ring finnally closes in on the pokemon and they both instantly faint.

Chaos Strike (Dark)
    PP:5 Power:Varies Accuracy: Varies Category:Special Target: Selected Pokemon
    Basically, you must select up to three allies (1 min), and they instantly faint. However, depending on the pokemons moves and EV's, you unleash a blast of energy that will absolutly wreck the enemy.
    Show me how to lie, you’re getting better all the time
    And turning all against the one is an art that’s hard to teach
    Another clever word sets off an unsuspecting herd
    And as you step back in the line a mob jumps to their feet

Now dance, ****er, dance, man, he never had a chance
    And no one even knew, it was really only you

And now you steal away
    Take him out today
    Nice work you did
    You’re gonna go far, kid

Slowly outta line and drifting closer in your sights
    So play it out I’m wide awake, it’s a scene about me
    There’s something in your way and now someone is gonna pay
    And if you can’t get what you want, well, it’s all because of me

New move: Electric Shard
    Same as Ice Shard except its a special move.

A good priority move for Jolteon and friends.

Page 45 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast