Page 84 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3474808182838485868788 LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 2185

Thread: Create &/or Change Anything & Everything Competitive Edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Retribution View Post
    You seem to want weather and hazards to be entirely pointless. That wasn't my goal, my intentions were to make a move that would decentralize weather, but not eliminate it altogether as a viable playstyle.
    They'd only be entirely pointless if players decided to use "Rapid Spin 2.0" on every single team. If "Rapid Spin 2.0" were used on every single team, then no matter what team a weather team fights against, the weather team's strategy would pretty much be moot.

Not every team right now runs entry hazards, and not every team runs Rapid Spin. Entry hazards would be pointless if and only if every single team out there had a Rapid Spin user. But since not every team has Rapid Spin, entry hazards aren't pointless at all.

I don't know how else to explain it. It's this presumption that not every team uses one, so not every team uses the other that keeps both mechanics in each case viable and necessary.

I dunno, maybe we'd be better off if weather was completely gone, but I feel like if it were more balanced and less over-centralized it would be fine.
    Among the variety of ways that weather could be balanced, I still believe one of the ways to balance the power difference between weather teams and non-weather teams is to implement more ways to get rid of weather. At least between different weathers, all it takes is a simple switch-out or move use to cancel out one weather and summon another, so there should at least be a move use or a switch out of the same variety used to cancel out all weather.

Since the weather moves are status-based and don't require a Pokémon to be dealt damage, so too should the move that cancels weather entirely. Of course (and I can't stress this enough), it would be distributed at a rate similar to how Rapid Spin is distributed now to avoid literally every single Pokémon having the potential to cancel out weather. Otherwise, pretty much every player would say, "Hey, I have a spare slot for this Pokémon!" or something to that effect, have an excuse to put "Rapid Spin 2.0" onto one of their Pokémon, and make weather pointless.

Field effects, such as Gravity, Tailwind, and Trick Room, however, are a different story. As far as the discussion of over-centralization goes, I think weather takes higher priority than these.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Even if every team had a Rapid Spin user, hazards wouldn't be pointless. Once you KO the Rapid Spin user or block it with a Ghost type, you're free to set all the hazards you want.

... I think I just argued against myself.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

Even if every team had a Rapid Spin user, hazards wouldn't be pointless. Once you KO the Rapid Spin user or block it with a Ghost type, you're free to set all the hazards you want.
    1) The converse is also true. Once all of a team's entry hazard users are KO'd, the opposing team is free to use Rapid Spin to act as if the entry hazards pretty much never existed. (This is why I'm against using entry hazards as the primary method of winning for a team, but that's a different story.)
    2) The same is true for weather and "Rapid Spin 2.0" as well. Once the weather inducer or inducers (Drizzle Politoed, Rain Dance Kingdra, Abomasnow, Ninetales, what have you) of a team are gone, the opposing team is free to use "Rapid Spin 2.0" to get rid of the weather. And of course, once a team's one or two "Rapid Spin 2.0" users are KO'd, the weather team is free to dominate.
    3) I'm almost certain that if a player actively knew that every single team that they were up against would have a Rapid Spin user, no exceptions, then I'm pretty sure that player would be extremely discouraged from using entry hazards.

... I think I just argued against myself.
    No, not really. What you said is something that's very true. You can't ignore the converse, that's all. (:

Dimensional Stone
    When held by a Pokemon, it increases the duration of the moves Gravity, Trick Room, Wonder Room, and Magic Room by 3.
    Basically a weather Rock / Light Clay clone for the other field effects.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

Dimensional Stone
    When held by a Pokemon, it increases the duration of the moves Gravity, Trick Room, Wonder Room, and Magic Room by 3.
    Basically a weather Rock / Light Clay clone for the other field effects.
    Especially Trick Room. It always sucks to see what would otherwise be a perfectly viable strategy fail due to the constant need to set it up. :/

I can't speak for Magic and Wonder Room, though, since I've never actually used them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    Especially Trick Room. It always sucks to see what would otherwise be a perfectly viable strategy fail due to the constant need to set it up. :/

I can't speak for Magic and Wonder Room, though, since I've never actually used them.
    Neither are viable anyways, I just included them for flavour reasons.

~Richard Dawkins

Neither are viable anyways, I just included them for flavour reasons.
    It just sucks that the vast majority of Game Freak's unique moves aren't competitively viable...

But here's an attempt to fix that!

New Move: Bright Room
    Type: Fairy / Power: -- / Accuracy: -- / PP: 5 / Target: Field / Category: Status / Priority: 0
    "The user blasts the room with a blinding light that lowers accuracy of most moves for five turns."
    - It specifically sets the accuracy of every move with a numerical accuracy value to 80% of its original value. Flamethrower's accuracy would be 80, Stone Edge's would be 64%, Supersonic's would be 44%, etc. It doesn't affect moves without a numerical accuracy value, though, so it doesn't affect moves like Aerial Ace, Sunny Day, and Protect.

It just sucks that the vast majority of Game Freak's unique moves aren't competitively viable...

But here's an attempt to fix that!

New Move: Bright Room
    Type: Fairy / Power: -- / Accuracy: -- / PP: 5 / Target: Field / Category: Status / Priority: 0
    "The user blasts the room with a blinding light that lowers accuracy of most moves for five turns."
    - It specifically sets the accuracy of every move with a numerical accuracy value to 80% of its original value. Flamethrower's accuracy would be 80, Stone Edge's would be 64%, Supersonic's would be 44%, etc. It doesn't affect moves without a numerical accuracy value, though, so it doesn't affect moves like Aerial Ace, Sunny Day, and Protect.

So basically anything that might need to rely on Focus Blast or Stone Edge would start tearing its hair out? Sorry Gengar, Alakazam, Infernape, and Landorus...

Definitely interesting. I'd say it would be pretty good, especially because it applies to the user as well as the opponent. However, it might be banned by Smogon's evasiveness clause so I really can't say much on its influence on the metagame.

~Richard Dawkins

Definitely interesting. I'd say it would be pretty good, especially because it applies to the user as well as the opponent. However, it might be banned by Smogon's evasiveness clause so I really can't say much on its influence on the metagame.
    Smogon's evasiveness clause only covers that -- evasiveness. It doesn't prohibit mechanics that lower the chance of moves connecting that can be interacted with, such as Sand-Attack and Flash. Or BrightPowder, but I don't know why.

Smogon's evasiveness clause only covers that -- evasiveness. It doesn't prohibit mechanics that lower the chance of moves connecting that can be interacted with, such as Sand-Attack and Flash. Or BrightPowder, but I don't know why.
    A decrease in accuracy that is automatically applied to the opponent and cannot be remedied by switching out is, for all practical purposes, functionally the same as an increase in your evasiveness. It would be slightly balanced by the fact that it also applies to you, but you could use those turns to set something up, then start sweeping after it expires.

~Richard Dawkins

A decrease in accuracy that is automatically applied to the opponent and cannot be remedied by switching out is, for all practical purposes, functionally the same as an increase in your evasiveness. It would be slightly balanced by the fact that it also applies to you, but you could use those turns to set something up, then start sweeping after it expires.
    There's nothing stopping your opponents from setting up when you're setting up. Plus, your opponent could get rid of it by using Bright Room themselves.

Hmm, I dunno. Eventually the metagame would become a war between set-up sweepers, with random things like No Guard Machamp around to counter Bright Room set-up sweepers. I guess its brokenness would largely depend on its distribution, similar to Shell Smash or Quiver Dance.

~Richard Dawkins

Hmm, I dunno. Eventually the metagame would become a war between set-up sweepers, with random things like No Guard Machamp around to counter Bright Room set-up sweepers. I guess its brokenness would largely depend on its distribution, similar to Shell Smash or Quiver Dance.
    No Guard's drawback should definitely be considered, too. A No Guard Machamp may be able to ignore accuracy modifiers when hitting a Pokémon, but that Pokémon would also be able to ignore accuracy modifiers when hitting the Machamp, too. Besides, No Guard isn't that common, so it shouldn't spark too much concern.

Also, it would definitely be given to only a select few Pokémon. Pretty much only four or five fully-evolved Pokémon would get it. Reuniclus would probably be one of them.

I agree with Divine Retribution here. IMO Bright Room should apply to both the user and the for, and could increase the distribution of this move. Bright Room COULD become the second Drizzle/Drought mechanics, which is nothing that great.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

My idea will focus mostly on Normal types, the almost ignored type. Why? Ask my Cinccino.

New weather move:

Clear Sky
    -summons a breeze that last for five turns. Gets rid of the four current weather moves
    effects:
    -Increases accuracy of normal type and flying type moves by one level. The power of Return and Frustration (only those two) increases by one level.
    -decreases accuracy of Electric, Fire, Water, Rock, and Ice moves by one level

Change of settings:

Cloud Nine - summons permanent breeze like Clear Sky above.

Smoke Ball - extends the duration of Clear Sky by three more turns. Like Damp rock and rain dance with Phione

New item:

Eye Glass Patch - a Cinccino exclusive item (Sorry if I obsessed her too much. Too cute to ignore. But these pokemon seem to belong with rich people). It maximizes the hits done by Multi-hitting moves (like skill link) and perfects its accuracy

If I were to build my Cinccino with this Item, it would be this set.

Jolly Nature: 252 Speed and Attack, 4 HP
    Ability: Technician
    -Bullet Seed
    -Tail Slap
    -Rock Blast
    -Aqua Tail / Wake Up slap / U-turn
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    I agree with Divine Retribution here. IMO Bright Room should apply to both the user and the foe, and could increase the distribution of this move.
    It already does affect both teams of a battle for the duration that it's active. I'm confused as to how you guys thought it didn't? o:

The reason why I didn't want to give it to too many Pokémon was twofold -- because I only wanted to give it to Pokémon that represented purity and could deal with dimensional manipulation (Jirachi, Togekiss, Celebi, Reuniclus, maybe Porygon-Z), and because having too many Pokémon that could learn such a move would severely lower the uniqueness of the move, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    My idea will focus mostly on Normal types, the almost ignored type. Why? Ask my Cinccino.

New weather move:

Clear Sky
    -summons a breeze that last for five turns. Gets rid of the four current weather moves
    effects:
    -Increases accuracy of normal type and flying type moves by one level. The power of Return and Frustration (only those two) increases by one level.
    -decreases accuracy of Electric, Fire, Water, Rock, and Ice moves by one level

Change of settings:

Cloud Nine - summons permanent breeze like Clear Sky above.

Smoke Ball - extends the duration of Clear Sky by three more turns. Like Damp rock and rain dance with Phione

New item:

Eye Glass Patch - a Cinccino exclusive item (Sorry if I obsessed her too much. Too cute to ignore. But these pokemon seem to belong with rich people). It maximizes the hits done by Multi-hitting moves (like skill link) and perfects its accuracy

If I were to build my Cinccino with this Item, it would be this set.

Jolly Nature: 252 Speed and Attack, 4 HP
    Ability: Technician
    -Bullet Seed
    -Tail Slap
    -Rock Blast
    -Aqua Tail / Wake Up slap / U-turn
    Clear Sky - Wouldn't Sunny Day already make the sky clear and let the sun shine through? Anyway, I think increasing the Accuracy of so many types of moves could be more detrimental to the user of Clear Sky rather than beneficial.

Eyeglass Patch - Sure. I made an item like this awhile back, though it didn't perfect the Accuracy of those moves. Making it Cinccino-only is okay.

Cloud Nine - It's fine, but I'd rather have a non-Uber weather cancelling ability. Again, it would probably be more detrimental to Pokémon with this ability rather than helpful.

Smoke Ball - A counterpart to the Damp Rock is fine by me.

Normal types have amazing Pokemon in every tier. In Ubers you have ExtremeKiller, OU has Blissey and Chansey, UU has Snorlax and Ambipom, RU has Cincinno and the omnitalented Smeargle, and in NU Zangoose is an absolute monster. All of these are prominent (and in some cases the most prominent) Pokemon in their tiers.

I feel like Poison needs some attention. The only Poison types in OU are Tentacruel and Gengar, and, of the two, only Tentacruel really embodies the Poison type. Gengar is far more of a ghost than anything, and rarely uses his Poison STAB. In fact, the only real benefit he gets from it is immunity to Toxic, since he can't even absorb Toxic Spikes because of Levitate.

Making Poison SE against Fairy might help a little, but I always felt Poison should be SE against Water. After all, if you contaminate water, won't the Pokemon that live in it be affected? Plus, Water is already amazing defensively, with only two weaknesses, one of them already rather uncommon. So, a slight nerf to one of the best defensive types and a big buff to perhaps the worst offensive type.

~Richard Dawkins

Normal types have amazing Pokemon in every tier. In Ubers you have ExtremeKiller, OU has Blissey and Chansey, UU has Snorlax and Ambipom, RU has Cincinno and the omnitalented Smeargle, and in NU Zangoose is an absolute monster. All of these are prominent (and in some cases the most prominent) Pokemon in their tiers.

I feel like Poison needs some attention. The only Poison types in OU are Tentacruel and Gengar, and, of the two, only Tentacruel really embodies the Poison type. Gengar is far more of a ghost than anything, and rarely uses his Poison STAB. In fact, the only real benefit he gets from it is immunity to Toxic, since he can't even absorb Toxic Spikes because of Levitate.

Making Poison SE against Fairy might help a little, but I always felt Poison should be SE against Water. After all, if you contaminate water, won't the Pokemon that live in it be affected? Plus, Water is already amazing defensively, with only two weaknesses, one of them already rather uncommon. So, a slight nerf to one of the best defensive types and a big buff to perhaps the worst offensive type.
    ive always thought this too.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Poison does need a pretty big improvement. Hasn't it already been somewhat implied that Poison is to be super effective against Fairy from Pokémon Smash or something like that?

Anyway, while I do see the flavor of Poison being good against Water, I admit that I have a bias toward Water being possibly the best defensive type in the game, as far as only type matchups are concerned. However, I am a fan of giving the Poison type less half-effective offensive type matchups (Ghost and Poison can stay, but Ground and Rock, really?) so that it can at least stand more of a chance against many Ground- and Rock-type Pokémon.

I also wouldn't mind some big-power, no side effect Poison-type moves. Maybe a standard Flamethrower variant with a poison chance is in order.

New move.

Agile Rush
    Type: Fighting
    Category: Physical
    Power: 90
    Accuracy: 95
    PP: 10/16
    Flavour: The opponent uses its blinding Speed to rush the target. Critical hits land more easily if the holder is not encumbered by an item.
    Effect: Critical hit ratio is increased by 4x when the user is not holding an item. This is about a 25% critical hit chance I believe. So, in some ways it might be seen as better than Acrobatics, while in others it is worse. While a critical Agile Rush does more damage than even an itemless Acrobatics, it's only got a 25% chance to hit critically. Additionally, critical hits ignore boosts, so it might be decent to win Bulk Up wars.

Distribution: The only one that really needs to have Agile Rush is Hitmonlee. Others can get it too, but I don't really care which others. Maybe Sceptile, his physical sets might appreciate Fighting coverage. Fast stuff like Scyther and whatnot can get it too.

~Richard Dawkins

New move.

Agile Rush
    Type: Fighting
    Category: Physical
    Power: 90
    Accuracy: 95
    PP: 10/16
    Flavour: The opponent uses its blinding speed to rush the target. Critical hits land more easily if the holder is not encumbered by an item.
    Effect: Critical hit ratio is increased by 4x when the user is not holding an item. This is about a 25% critical hit chance I believe. So, in some ways it might be seen as better than Acrobatics, while in others it is worse. While a critical Agile Rush does more damage than even an itemless Acrobatics, it's only got a 25% chance to hit critically. Additionally, critical hits ignore boosts, so it might be decent to win Bulk Up wars.

Distribution: The only one that really needs to have Agile Rush is Hitmonlee. Others can get it too, but I don't really care which others. Maybe Sceptile, his physical sets might appreciate Fighting coverage. Fast stuff like Scyther and whatnot can get it too.
    Seems solid. You confused me with the statement that critical hits ignored boosts, but they only ignore boosts in the opponent's defensive stats.

I also wouldn't mind some big-power, no side effect Poison-type moves. Maybe a standard Flamethrower variant with a poison chance is in order.
    Sludgebomb?

FC: 4699-6505-4258
    IGN: Diva

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    Sludgebomb?
    Right, but it only has 10 PP, which somewhat limits its uses. Although it does have a 30% chance of poisoning, which does balance that somewhat.

One thing I didn't know is that Sludge Wave hits your ally as well. You learn something new everyday. o:

Miasma Pulse
    Type: Ghost
    Category: Special
    Power: 95
    Accuracy: 100
    PP: 15/24
    Flavour: The user releases a wave of noxious energy from beyond the grave. May cause Flinching.
    Effect: Deals damage, 10% chance for the stench to cause the opponent to flinch.
    Distribution: All Ghost types by TM, a few other random things that might have the ability to pull power from the spirit world, like the lake trio and some Dark types.

Blight Dart
    Type: Poison
    Flavour: The user launches a huge, poisonous dart at the opponent. May Poison the target.
    Effect: 10% chance to Poison the opponent.
    Anything that learns Poison Sting (or should learn Poison Sting) can learn it by TM

Corruption
    Category: Other
    Power: ---
    Accuracy: ---
    PP: 5/8
    Flavour: The user releases all the poison in its body, badly Poisoning all Pokemon on the field and changing it to the Normal type.
    Effect: Badly Poisons all Pokemon on the field except the user. After the attack, the user is changed to the Normal type until it switches or the battle ends. If the user has a secondary typing (I.E. Gengar), then they lose their Poison typing and do not gain Normal typing (Gengar would become pure Ghost type). This move fails if it is not used by a Poison type.

Distribution: Grimer line, Trubbish line, Gengar line, Gloom and Vileplume, Koffing line, Roserade.

~Richard Dawkins

Miasma Pulse
    Type: Ghost
    Flavour: The user releases a wave of noxious energy from beyond the grave. May cause Flinching.
    Effect: Deals damage, 10% chance for the stench to cause the opponent to flinch.
    Distribution: All Ghost types by TM, a few other random things that might have the ability to pull power from the spirit world, like the lake trio and some Dark types.

Blight Dart
    Flavour: The user launches a huge, poisonous dart at the opponent. May Poison the target.
    Effect: 10% chance to Poison the opponent.
    Anything that learns Poison Sting (or should learn Poison Sting) can learn it by TM

Corruption
    Category: Other
    Power: ---
    Accuracy: ---
    PP: 5/8
    Flavour: The user releases all the poison in its body, badly Poisoning all Pokemon on the field and changing it to the Normal type.
    Effect: Badly Poisons all Pokemon on the field except the user. After the attack, the user is changed to the Normal type until it switches or the battle ends. If the user has a secondary typing (I.E. Gengar), then they lose their Poison typing and do not gain Normal typing (Gengar would become pure Ghost type). This move fails if it is not used by a Poison type.

Distribution: Grimer line, Trubbish line, Gengar line, Gloom and Vileplume, Koffing line, Roserade.
    Miasma Pulse - Sure.

Blight Dart - It could be physical, as the dart is fired from the user's body with its physical force. Otherwise, it's alright.

Corruption -
    1) The effect is rather unique, and it's fine to badly poison more than one Pokémon at a time. However, it shouldn't affect non-adjacent Pokémon for the same reason that Sludge Wave doesn't.
    2) The type-switching to Normal seems a bit odd, as does the automatic failure if the user is not a Poison-type. The two are just for balance issues to prevent the Pokémon using Corruption from dominating the field in case the opponent switches out and you try to use Corruption on every single Pokémon they have. But if so many limitations have to be put on a move just to keep it balanced, it probably does too much.
    3) The problem then becomes the fact that if the type-switching and automatic failure drawbacks were gotten rid of, this move would be strictly better than Toxic. An easy fix would be that the less PP it has, the more chances the move has of not connecting. For example, at 100% PP (5/5 or 8/8 when the player selects the move), it would have 80% accuracy, then it would decrease by 10% for every 12.5% of the maximum PP of the move that's used up, rounded down.

Page 84 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3474808182838485868788 LastLast