View Poll Results: Which Pokemon got the worst treatment by the writers?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ash's Pidgeotto/Pidgeot

14 14.58%
  • Ash's Kingler, Tauros, and Muk

27 28.13%
  • Ash's Torkoal and Torterra

12 12.50%
  • Ash's Gible and Dawn's Togekiss

3 3.13%
  • Misty's Starmie and Horsea

3 3.13%
  • Misty's Goldeen

11 11.46%
  • Misty's Togepi/Togetic

5 5.21%
  • Brock's Geodude and Onix

3 3.13%
  • Jessie's Lickitung

7 7.29%
  • Other (specify)

11 11.46%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Pokemon got the worst treatment by the writers?

ash: tauros
    misty: goldeen
    brock: zubat
    may: evee
    dawn: togekiss
    iris: none
    cilan: stunfisk

Ash: Totodile, Pidgeot(Never came back for him), Palpitoad and Boldore
    Cilan: Stunfisk (Only few episodes)
    Brock: Geodude

Ash:
    Kingler, Muk, Butterfree, Primeape, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Heracross, Totodile, Noctowl, Torkoal, Gliscor, Torterra, Unfezant, Leavanny, Palpitoad, Boldore.

Misty: Everything bar Staryu and Politoed. But to be fair, she one of the most badly written travelling companions, even worse than Iris.

Brock: Um. EVERYTHING.

Tracey: Do I need to say it? Everything.

May: Squirtle/Wartortle

Dawn: Pachirisu, Togekiss.

Cilan: The STUNFISK

Iris: None so far.

I think I got all of them. Might have forgotten Tauros though.

I voted for Ash's Torterra. I felt so bad for him. :/ He evolved and only got worse. I bet if he stayed a Turtwig he would have fit Ash's battling style a bit more. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    Ash:
    Kingler, Muk, Butterfree, Primeape, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Tauros, Heracross, Totodile, Noctowl, Torkoal, Gliscor, Torterra, Unfezant, Leavanny, Palpitoad, Boldore.
    Aw man I laughed. xDDDDD
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Misty: Everything bar Staryu and Politoed. But to be fair, she one of the most badly written travelling companions, even worse than Iris.
    I don't know i thought Corsola was treated pretty good too. Ever since she captured it in late Johto it was her most used pokemon getting ton of spotlight. Psyduck was never intended to be battler but he provided comedy having lot of attention back in day.

And i have to respectively disagree with last statement. Misty did less than other girls did,but that doesn't make her inferior because its quality which counts not quantity. Her role was in contributing to great group dynamic,helping Ash to advance forward and she got some great development earning sisters respect and getting out of their shadow, getting over Gyarados fear, improving her trainer skills and actually going through struggling not getting anything on silver plate becoming with time more mature and confident.

But to each their own i guess.

Brock: Um. EVERYTHING.
    If you ask me his Foretress, Croagunk, Happiny and Onix to lesser extent got decent focus and screen time.

Iris: None so far.
    Can't say im satisfied with growth Axew receives,. He is rather stagnating being barely trained, and not making any notable progress forward. At this point im not sure anymore if we will even see him eventually evolve, fulfilling Iris main mission with which she was sent on journey. Im actually quite disappointed with Axew so far.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 28th July 2012 at 7:34 PM.

I guess I really have to figure out the difference between treatment and development in this show. It seems that for alot of people in here, Iris's Pokemon had none. As far as treatment, I disagree. I think she's has it too easy as far as treatement goes. As far as development goes, none. I believe there is a difference with a Pokemon like Axew who is always out and about verses her Emonga who barely gets used anymore.

Coolest Eevee evolution ever!

Ash:
    - Pidgeotto/Pidgeot -- Had decent screen time until Ash filled his party, then was neglected.

- Kingler, Tauros, Muk -- I saw them as strong backup pokemon Ash turned to when he was in trouble or needed extra help.

- Torkoal -- Not every pokemon can become a powerhouse.

- Torterra -- I thought Ash was going to learn a new style of battling, but that never happened.

Misty:
    - Horsea/Togepi -- They were not treated as battlers.

- Goldeen -- It couldn't battle on land, and Ash, Misty, and Brock didn't spend a lot of time around water. Goldeen should of been left with Horsea and Starmie at her family's gym.

Brock:
    - Geodude -- This pokemon rarely appeared but Brock rarely battled.

- Onix -- Brock rarely battled, and this is a large pokemon that needs a large amount of space.

Jessie:
    - Lickitung -- How long did Lickitung stay on the show? It seemed like it was stronger than Arbok. The only thing terrible about Lickitung's treatment was that it got traded for a Wobbuffet.

The pokemon with the worst treatment was Pidgeotto.

Sometimes, I felt Misty's Psyduck didn't get the attention he could have gotten, considering he was mostly just used when he came out to try to help. Sure he has the most personality of Misty's Pokémon along with Togepi, but he got shafted as bad as Togepi since he only was ever liked by Misty due to how powerful his Psychic attacks were, but he never was improved on with other aspects of his character. I know he isn't on the poll, but I still am realizing he was another of Misty's Pokémon to get screwed over. I mean, for the most part, all she ever did was stick to one or two Pokémon particularly for battle, which is kinda lame, but kinda like what Ash did early on as well, but still, you think we'd also see her try to improve on Psyduck's weak points outside of his powerful Psychic attacks, like improving the strength of his Water Gun, Scratch, and such. I know Misty tried to teach him how to swim, but she didn't do a good job of it.

I do also agree on Lickitung. He never got the proper use he deserved either. Plus with Brock's Geodude, and Onix/Steelix... a lot of times Brock was just there to be there, so it makes sense he wouldn't battle much, but I still wish more depth had been done to explore the personalities and such of his original two Pokémon, especially since Onix/Steelix is his starter!!
    "Looks like you're about to get pwned."

I don't care about EVs. If you don't either, copy and paste this into your sig. (Started by Shiny Metagross)

Misty (I love her to pieces, but her pokemon didn't get the best treatment)

Starmie- Dumped at the Cerulean gym after doing mostly nothing.
    Horsea- Read Starmie.
    Goldeen- Didn't do anything other than lose battles.

Brock

Everything except Mudkip, Croagunk, and Happiny. These three didn't get the worst treatment.

Tracey

Everything

May

Bulbasaur- It had so much potential but was simply dumped at Oak's lab and then randomly became a Venusaur the next time we saw it.

Dawn

Togekiss- The capture happened far to late in DP.

Cilan

Stunfisk- It's weak and hasn't won a battle. However, there's still time to change that.

Iris

Emolga- It's not treated as important compared to Axew, Excadrill, and now Dragonite. However like Stunfisk, there's still time to change that.
    Last edited by HatersGonnaHate; 30th July 2012 at 4:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    Misty (I love her to pieces, but her pokemon didn't get the best treatment)

Starmie- Dumped at the Cerulean gym after doing mostly nothing.
    Horsea- Read Starmie.
    Goldeen- Didn't do anything other than lose battles.

Brock

Everything except Mudkip, Croagunk, and Happiny.

Tracey

Everything

May

Bulbasaur- It had so much potential but was simply dumped at Oak's lab and then randomly became a Venusaur the next time we saw it.

Dawn

Togekiss- The capture happened far to late in DP.

Cilan

Stunfisk- It's weak and hasn't won a battle. However, there's still time to change that.

Iris

Emolga- It's not treated as important compared to Axew, Excadrill, and now Dragonite. However like Stunfisk, there's still time to change that.
    I agree with you on a lot of this, Haters, but I do think Brock's Pineco/Forretress got to be defined a good bit by his explosive (no pun intended) personality, as well as Bonsly when he matured from the time after Ash's travels in the Battle Frontier to Brock's return in Sinnoh. Even his evolution to Sudowoodo was a culmination of Brock's hard work as his Trainer and as a Pokémon Breeder, as shown with how dedicated and loyal he was as well as being very chipper even when upset for a bit.

I don't care about EVs. If you don't either, copy and paste this into your sig. (Started by Shiny Metagross)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryon View Post
    I agree with you on a lot of this, Haters, but I do think Brock's Pineco/Forretress got to be defined a good bit by his explosive (no pun intended) personality, as well as Bonsly when he matured from the time after Ash's travels in the Battle Frontier to Brock's return in Sinnoh. Even his evolution to Sudowoodo was a culmination of Brock's hard work as his Trainer and as a Pokémon Breeder, as shown with how dedicated and loyal he was as well as being very chipper even when upset for a bit.
    Sudowoodo wasn't used as much as it should have. It only had a handful of battles and took a backseat to Croagunk for almost all of DP.

Sudowoodo wasn't used as much as it should have. It only had a handful of battles and took a backseat to Croagunk for almost all of DP.
    Oh, so that's why you said him as well. Sure, that's true, but he did have some good growth. A lot of times for Croagunk, even if he did battle most for Brock, that to me, he felt like he was there to replace Misty and Max to keep brock from flirting.

May

Her Bulbasaur did get a good deal of screentime though. It met Ash's Bulbasaur, it lost its first Contest, it beat Harley in his debut, it was used in the Grand Festival against Harley again, and then stayed at Oak's with Ash's Bulba for a while.

Certainly more than Eevee, who really should have come at the start of Battle Frontier rather than after it was more than half over.

For ash, totodile, Kingler, Muk
    For May, Skitty
    For Misty, Goldeen, Horsea
    For Dawn, Quilava, pachirisu
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Well, the most compelling thing with Dawn's Quilava was the fact he was the new baby, which led to his rivalry with Piplup since Piplup didn't like being replaced as the "baby" of Dawn's group. And he did get used a lot by Dawn even after hatching, which shows he was developed fairly well, especially with his evolution to Quilava. More coulda been done for him, yes, but hey, he did grow up a lot from evolving into Quilava.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    I don't know i thought Corsola was treated pretty good too. Ever since she captured it in late Johto it was her most used pokemon getting ton of spotlight. Psyduck was never intended to be battler but he provided comedy having lot of attention back in day.
    Randomly appearing to get beaten to a pulp is still bad treatment, intentional or not.

If you ask me his Foretress, Croagunk, Happiny and Onix to lesser extent got decent focus and screen time.
    Foretress only because he dragged it to Hoenn with him. Croagunk was badly treated because he only appeared to molest Brock everytime he tried to hit on girls. I don't remembering him battling all that often, and when he does, he looks pathetic. Especially against Staravia and Torterra in the tag battles. As for Happiny, didn't do anything until she evolved. Onix, meh.

Can't say im satisfied with growth Axew receives,. He is rather stagnating being barely trained, and not making any notable progress forward. At this point im not sure anymore if we will even see him eventually evolve, fulfilling Iris main mission with which she was sent on journey. Im actually quite disappointed with Axew so far.
    Hm.

-Seen in every episode, so screentime is perfectly fine

-Battled Pansage in BW9
    -Battled Scraggy in BW17
    -Shown to still be practicing DR in BW22
    -Learned DR in BW30
    -Beat Scraggy to a pulp in BW32
    -Battled Beartic in BW36
    -Battled Pikachu in BW40
    -Battled Golett in BW44, learned Outrage
    -Helped beat Team Rocket in BW50
    -Battled Scraggy in BW57
    -Helped beat TR in the Landorus two parter
    -Used as Iris' partner in BW71
    -Battled Garchomp in BWS2-01. Learned Giga Impact.

Still think he's barely trained? He simply takes longer to become strong because that's how dragon types are. As for notable progress, he learned two moves. The only rational disappointment about Axew is the moves he learns are overpowered. But it's the same deal with Scraggy and the writers have to keep Axew on Scraggy's level.

Poorly-handled pokemon, eh? Well, there've been quite a few over the years, obviously--enough that I simply cannot narrow it down to just one and be satisfied with that level of ranting. (That's you're cue to skip this post if you don't like reading long posts.) So I'm gonna do like a few others have and break things down by quite a bit. But first, let me explain that when I talk about something being handled badly, I don't just mean things like a lack of appearances or major victories (though those certainly are important factors), I'm talking about general bad storytelling and missed opportunities for good storytelling. Let's begin:

Ash's main team in the OS:
    Oh, don't worry, reserves, you'll get your turn. For his main team, I'm torn between Pidgeotto, Noctowl, and Totodile. The first two existed almost entirely to blow away whatever smokescreens Team Rocket put up and pop their various balloons, so that's already kind of a black mark on their records. On the other hand, while Totodile was given rather more screentime, there was significantly less done with that screentime. Yes, Pidgeotto was only used in two important matches (by which I mean gyms, rival battles, and leagues and other assorted tournament settings), only got a win in one, and both matches were ultimately left undecided. Yes, Noctowl has only seen three important matches and earned the same number of victories within them. But at least those matches were won based on actual strength and skill (as opposed to something clearly meant to be humorous). And simply going by match-to-win ratio, they solidly outperform Totodile--who, I might remind everyone, only saw maybe five important battles and got a total of two victories, both of which were played for laughs.

Though really, Totodile's lack of attention later on really can be attributed in no small part to that massive hard-on the writers still had for shoving Pikachu and (at the very beginning and end of Johto) the Kanto starters everywhere they conceivably could. Not his fault they still thought the previous generation's mascots were more important, I suppose. (Seriously though, take a look back through the Johto gyms. Pikachu was in every single one. And I don't think I've quite forgiven them for incapacitating Kingler right before that one league match just to feebly justify Squirtle making a return.)

Honorable mention: Phanpy, though he at least returned to the main cast and got a big win or two during the Battle Frontier saga.

Ash's reserves in the OS:
    Gotta go with Muk, definitely. It seems like a sort of general rule with Ash's reserve pokemon is that even though they may not be seen very often, they still manage to build up reputations as being quite powerful, so that when they do appear, they manage to earn an impressive victory or three and generally just be memorable dudes. It's most pronounced with Snorlax, but most every other reserve gets in on the action--except for Muk. Seen only two big battles: the one where he smothered a Bellsprout (which I attribute less to Muk actually being strong than to him simply being the perfect defense against that specific pokemon); and the one where he got stomped into a puddle by Gary's Blastoise and Scizor. Amusingly, he's perhaps gotten the most appearances of all of Ash's reserves if you simply count up the episodes where he's been seen...but those appearances also involve that running gag of smothering Oak, and everyone knows just how funny running gags like those are(n't).

Honorable mention: Kingler. Despite pretty much being the MVP for the Indigo League, he's gotten an almost criminally small number of appearances since then (excluding possibly the Whirl Cup). Also that scene I mentioned in the previous section.

Ash in AG:
    Torkoal. What more can I really say? About as many major battles as Totodile above, and the same number of outright wins. And then he got shipped out for the Battle Frontier. At least he got a small moment of glory against Brandon's Registeel a bit later on, I guess.

Honorable mention: Glalie. I think I'll never fully understand the writers' logic with this one, honestly. I think that BIG SCARY HOCKEY MASK THING must not have been overly popular with the little kids or something, because it just seems like a huge waste to have Ash make his last capture for the region literally two episodes before his last gym match, give him a sort-of-developing storyline in trying to master Ice Beam, and just give him development...and then permanently bench the poor thing as soon as the league is over. And then there's the effect that the poor handling of May's Squirtle retroactively had on his own story.

He was still handled better than Torkoal, though, since he did have that story regardless, and he did actually, y'know, win battles and be awesome and memorable, short though his time was.

Ash in DP:
    Torterra. Part of it's got to do with what was said earlier, how he didn't win a lot of battles. But here's the thing: he did win battles; just not as a Torterra. My main issue is with how badly the writers %@$#ed up his development. Hey, remember the episode where he evolved into Grotle? A good part of it was dedicated to him learning that he can't use his huge speed anymore, and that he'd have to learn to use his status as, y'know, a tortoise, to his advantage. The writers had a pretty good thing going here; a way to force themselves to develop Ash, in a way, so that he doesn't always try to charge in headfirst with a speedy move. And it paid off; it was what allowed Grotle to get a win against Candice's Sneasel. But then they must've figured that making up defensive strategies was too much hard work for their obviously superior mental faculties, because not long after, they were pretty much all, nah man, Rock Climb, man, mobile tank. I mean--maybe they wanted to differentiate him from Paul's Torterra, you know, avoid making the former into a carbon copy of the latter...except we barely saw Paul (or his Torterra) after that match at Lake Acuity. And then they gave us an idea that could've made the whole "speeding tank" thing viable, by having him gain a temporary and extreme power boost from consuming his own Energy Ball during the battle with Palmer. This tactic was used, oh...once more. By Dawn, on Mamoswine, for one contest. Which she lost.

And this is where that first bit, the lack of victories, comes back into play. Because honestly? All of that--that fumbling, inept, steaming pile of utter bull%@#!--could have been forgiven. I would have forgiven that if, as a Torterra, he actually had a couple of decent wins to his name. But no--he was forced to be the fall guy in both of his major matches after all that, all to give yet more glory to that damnable flaming monkey. Honestly: did Infernape really need two wins against Volkner? Why couldn't Torterra have beaten his Jolteon? Did the monkey need three wins against Paul, as opposed to two wins and Torterra taking out his Aggron or Ninjask?

Honorable mention: Infernape. Surprising, eh? Yeah, I always knew that this guy was going to be the main focus ever since Ash got him. But even so, was all of it truly necessary? Did he really need two wins against Byron? Did he need to star against Fantina, Candice, and Volkner? Giving a character so much glory and screentime that they're actively shoving other, theoretically almost equal characters off to the side still counts as poor handling.

Ash in BW:
    I'm actually not gonna go with any of the reserves for the main choice. It's like I said earlier; they're all pretty decently powerful, so a given appearance from one of them is going to have something memorable. Instead, I'd have to say it's Snivy. She seems to suffer from a combination of being a sort of Crutch Character (emphasis on "crutch," more on that in a bit) and the Worf Effect. For non-tropers, what the former means in this context is that when she was first captured, she was easily the strongest member of the group besides Pikachu and carried everyone pretty well, but due to a combination of a lack of active training and an overall lack of battle screentime (and fewer wins), she has been surpassed by most everyone and now stands as quite possibly the second weakest member of the group. I made a statement a bit over a year ago that the only team member who for sure is still weaker is Scraggy; that assessment has not changed. The latter trope occurs when you pit one supposedly powerful character or attack against another character, and the former loses (often badly) in order to establish the latter as a credible threat. (For those who're still confused, it's pretty much the same principle behind having "fall guys" in various big matches. Speaking of which, that happened to her.) In this specific case, the Worf equivalent is Snivy's Attract. It's honestly to the point where I almost can't care about her battles, because the outcome will near always be effectively decided based on the success of that one move (which is what makes it a crutch). She will inevitably use Attract; if it works, she's probably gonna win, and if it fails or stops working, smart money is she's gonna lose--and the writers just love making Attract fail. Which is a damn shame, because I really like Snivy.

And you know--I may be looking a bit too deep into this, and forgive me if that's true--I can't help but wonder if part of this is because they made Snivy a girl. The token chick, y'know? It reminds me of some other boy-oriented series that Japan has given us, like Naruto or Bleach. You know, where it maybe looks at first as though certain females in the cast will be treated as equally important to, well, things, only for it to turn out that Women Can Only Equally Fight Other Women and Women Cannot Defeat Men Ever. That's kind of the vibe I'm getting with Snivy right now. And you know what? It's frustrating. It's extremely frustrating, because it runs counter to what we've already seen on the show many times before, not only with the level of competence in human female characters (and not just those league-affiliated females, either, but also even the four lead girls), but with other female pokemon on Ash's team (lookin' at you, Bayleef). I really hope that this is just me thinking too hard about it.

Honorable mention: Jesus, I really don't know. Probably one of the less-used reserves. Let's go with, I dunno, Unfezant.

Misty:
    I was tempted to go with Togepi, partly because it did astoundingly little for how much screentime it got, but hey, there were a couple time where it did do something. Horsea and Starmie were tempting as well, also for doing astoundingly little for supposedly being battle-capable pokemon, but Starmie did battle a couple times, and either way, both were dropped off before their lack of presence on the cast could become truly noticeable. But then I remembered her Goldeen. Little thing was on her team exactly as long as her Staryu, but never saw a single battle, and if anything, saw fewer appearances than Horsea or Starmie despite the much longer time on the cast. I guess that's just what happens when you're a fish and your trainer is almost never in a place with water nearby.

Honorable mention: Just about every team member that wasn't her most recent capture. Seriously. Honest question here. After she got Poliwag, or after it evolved, how many times did she use Staryu? And how many times did she use Poliwhirl (or Politoed) after she got Corsola?

Brock:
    All of them.
    Okay yeah, some were handled marginally better than others. Nobody's gonna deny, either, that Croagunk was pretty much his best-handled guy ever. But even so, even his best-handled pokemon were handled worse than many of the worst-handled ones owned by any of the actual leads, and worse than any of Iris or Cilan's as well. It's just a natural extension of Brock himself being pretty much the worst-handled character in the series. In other words, lol brock

Honorable mention: lol brock

Team Rocket:
    Hahahahaha Team Rocket. Let me be honest here: I care so little about pre-BW Team Rocket that even the fact that they had pokemon at all means next to nothing to me. As characters, they were only handled marginally better than Brock, and without the benefit of me actually liking them like I do Brock; and as villains, they were completely ineffectual. Their pokemon are...pretty much the same. The only contexts in which they appeared were as running gags, meaning they stopped being funny within five episodes of their original appearances, and in battles that they were inevitably going to lose in the next couple of seconds anyways. Not to mention the purpose of several of those pokemon--in particular, how Seviper was basically Arbok and how Carnivine was basically Cacnea was basically Victreebel--and the few stand-outs (besides Wobbuffet, who I'll admit was actually pretty cool, not that I'm at all sad he's gone) didn't appear quite often enough to actually stand out.

Honorable mention: None. Again, I just cannot bring myself to care enough to sort through just which parts of the awful mess that was pre-BW Team Rocket are slightly better than the others. (Though again, Wobbuffet was pretty much the best part.)

Tracey:
    Tough call. I actually don't think any of his pokemon were handled particularly badly, at least for a sidekick. It's because he had such a short run. Thirty-five episodes, right? In this show, that's not quite enough time for a main character or their pokemon to really settle in and show what they're made of. I'd have go with Marill, though. Even if its purpose was mostly for utility and not battling, I can't remember its super-hearing being used more than maybe one time; Venonat's sonar got used a bit more, I'm pretty sure.

Honorable mention: None. Again, there are so few options, and for his short run, none of them came off as being used badly. In fact, I may omit the honorable mentions altogether if there are only three or four to choose from.

May:
    It's between Skitty and Squirtle. The latter more so than the former, but when I think of May's most utterly implausible moments, the moments where it was most obvious the writers were basically just giving her those contest wins, I think of these two. With Skitty, it's mostly due to the thing's literally unbelievable tanking ability. I mean, how many powerful attacks did it take from that one kid's Dusclops in the...Verdanturf contest, I believe it was? How many did it take from the two one-shot rivals' Houndoom and Jynx in the Pacifidlog contest? And it still confuses me somewhat how the utter abuse of Assist was never frowned upon in Verdanturf or at the Grand Festival--especially when the latter incident had it become confused from using Petal Dance.

For Squirtle, it mostly comes down to something that I find plagues a lot of amateurish writing. I'm not sure what to call it, but it's when a writer comes up with a certain scenario in their head, their ego tells them this is the best thing ever and everyone will love it, and they decide that it simply must come true as soon as possible and no matter what, logic and basic storytelling sense be damned. Allow me to paraphrase what may or may not have been going through one or more of the writers' heads at the time: "You know what May really needs? One of the Kanto starters. Yes, another one. Just do something to get rid of Bulbasaur and give her a Squirtle. She'll be in Pallet Town, right? Have Oak give it to her. No, I don't care that the starters are supposed to be for beginning trainers, because it will choose her!" And again a bit later on: "Squirtle could really use a big win. You know what? Let's have it win May's next contest. Now, we need to establish that it's strong, so let's have the punching bag Harley come back again. So what if it's a baby and has never battled before in its life? It'll be a natural! No, I don't care that it's only got the basic starter moveset. Have it learn something powerful, like Ice Beam!" And like I said earlier, this actively cheapens Glalie's development, because apparently, baby starter pokemon from a lab are better at learning moves like Ice Beam than actual Ice-types.

Honorable mention: Eevee. Honestly subject to most of the same criticisms as Skitty and Squirtle, just on a much smaller scale. Like CyberCubed said, it really should have come at the start of the Battle Frontier saga.

Dawn:
    Ambipom. To be clear, I am talking about its (her?) time with Dawn here. It did okay with Ash; it was used against Roark, starred against Gardenia, and saw use in two contests (even if one was unofficial). But then the trade happened, and then suddenly its use dropped like a rock. It evolved, sure. But it saw only two more contests--lost one. And just how many of us have forgiven that load of crap that was its departure? I mean--ping-pong? Here's this pokemon, its entire shtick is that it loves the flipping hell out of contests, and suddenly its ultimate true calling is ping-pong?! GODDAMMIT.

Honorable mention: Togekiss. When did this one come along again? Shortly before the Grand Festival, which is to say, after Dawn had already gotten her five ribbons, right? And then it was only used in the Grand Festival finals. Put simply, the fact that it arrived so late in the journey, combined with its already-impressive abilities (enough to complement Dawn's starter and likely most skilled pokemon), makes it feel more like a going-away present in the vein of May's Blaziken and Brock's Chansey than a totally legitimate addition to the team. That it feels like a simple replacement for Ambipom (goddammit) is the cherry on top.

Iris:
    Actually, I don't think any of Iris's pokemon have been treated very badly thus far. I was tempted to put Axew down for a while, because ever since Scraggy learned Focus Blast, it seemed as though Axew was getting behind a bit in development. But then I remembered there was an episode in Japan not long ago where he got some decent attention. So instead, I'd have to say Emolga on the simple basis of not seeing her nearly as much as we've seen Axew or Excadrill.

Cilan:
    See just above. I do sometimes worry that maybe Crustle is getting a bit too much attention, though; it seems kind of odd that this one is his go-to guy for battles even though his main pokemon is supposedly Pansage. More that that, though, it's Stunfisk I worry about. It's a shame that the little dude, with his awesome trollface, has only had maybe five appearances total and two (losing) battles. Sigh.

WELL. That was satisfying.
    Last edited by Seiryu; 30th July 2012 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Her Bulbasaur did get a good deal of screentime though. It met Ash's Bulbasaur, it lost its first Contest, it beat Harley in his debut, it was used in the Grand Festival against Harley again, and then stayed at Oak's with Ash's Bulba for a while.

Certainly more than Eevee, who really should have come at the start of Battle Frontier rather than after it was more than half over.
    Bulbasaur was doing great but that potential was disposed of when it was left at Oak's lab. Eevee may have been captured late, but it still progressed and shined as a Glaceon (even though it lost to Piplup). Can't say the same about Venusaur who we only saw for 3 seconds.

Kingler. I was not happy when Kingler was knocked out prior to the Johto league match. Talk about a cop out. Also the very small amount of matches is disheartening. Same with Muk.

Put together by me.

Randomly appearing to get beaten to a pulp is still bad treatment, intentional or not.
    If your talking about Corsola it was one of most active pokemon bringing many important wins to Misty. As for Psyduck, you do realize it never lost officially battle?
    And no, being tickled by Bulbasaur doesn't count as real battle serving only to bring humor.

Evidence to his strength can be noticed through fact that he beat opponents regularly with just one hit, whenever he used Psychic powers. Grated he was barely trained, but Psyduck received good amount of focus being there to mostly add more comedy.

Foretress only because he dragged it to Hoenn with him. Croagunk was badly treated because he only appeared to molest Brock everytime he tried to hit on girls. I don't remembering him battling all that often, and when he does, he looks pathetic. Especially against Staravia and Torterra in the tag battles. As for Happiny, didn't do anything until she evolved. Onix, meh.
    Regardless, Foretress was still one of most used Brock pokemon helping group on several occasions. Croagunk got great treatment in DP having many memorable moments aside from dragging away Brock with poison jabs. He entered Croagunk festival, won pokemon transformation contest for Brock getting him pokemon egg in process, developed rivalry with Team Galactic Toxicroak etc. His battling skills were good too showing of some impressive moves. Most memorable was when he used in smart way brick break against Jessie Seviper.

Also Happiny was quite useful during course of DP too. She possessed incredible super strength for baby pokemon lifting huge boulders and heavy objects, or smashing rocks without any difficulty. Unlike Bonsly she didn't looked for pampering and attention babies gets, being actually useful in battles which can be noticed when kicking TR butt, stopping enraged Mamoswine when chasing Dawn, using various techniques like secret power etc She saved trainers from danger quite a few times(for example i remember when she saved Brock and Autum from falling of from bridge). Happiny was actually quite useful pokemon.

Hm.

-Seen in every episode, so screentime is perfectly fine

-Battled Pansage in BW9
    -Battled Scraggy in BW17
    -Shown to still be practicing DR in BW22
    -Learned DR in BW30
    -Beat Scraggy to a pulp in BW32
    -Battled Beartic in BW36
    -Battled Pikachu in BW40
    -Battled Golett in BW44, learned Outrage
    -Helped beat Team Rocket in BW50
    -Battled Scraggy in BW57
    -Helped beat TR in the Landorus two parter
    -Used as Iris' partner in BW71
    -Battled Garchomp in BWS2-01. Learned Giga Impact.

Still think he's barely trained? He simply takes longer to become strong because that's how dragon types are. As for notable progress, he learned two moves. The only rational disappointment about Axew is the moves he learns are overpowered. But it's the same deal with Scraggy and the writers have to keep Axew on Scraggy's level.
    First of all being present in every episode doesn't mean he received enough spotlight. When someone receives focus it means receiving character development, being used in battles, being seen training etc. In most episodes Axew wasn't doing any of that being relatively underused when it comes to battles. Aside from training under Iris to master dragon rage, i can't honestly remember being trained much at all. And when he does battle, he usually learns powerful attacks with no training or foreshadowing prior to that(like he did with outrage against Golett, or with later one). Being barely trained, used in rather small amount of battles and learning attacks out of nowhere=/=good treatment.

Spoiler:- bw2:

Quote Originally Posted by Seiryu View Post
    Though really, Totodile's lack of attention later on really can be attributed in no small part to that massive hard-on the writers still had for shoving Pikachu and (at the very beginning and end of Johto) the Kanto starters everywhere they conceivably could. Not his fault they still thought the previous generation's mascots were more important, I suppose. (Seriously though, take a look back through the Johto gyms. Pikachu was in every single one. And I don't think I've quite forgiven them for incapacitating Kingler right before that one league match just to feebly justify Squirtle making a return.)
    I agree, Totodile got pretty bad treatment, being used on just one gym battle, lost majority of battles and never got any redemption(unlike Phanphy and Cyndaquil). To this day i find it was mistake to give him to Ash in that duel vs Misty, having to compete with Kanto starters in Johto for spotlight.

But then I remembered her Goldeen. Little thing was on her team exactly as long as her Staryu, but never saw a single battle, and if anything, saw fewer appearances than Horsea or Starmie despite the much longer time on the cast. I guess that's just what happens when you're a fish and your trainer is almost never in a place with water nearby.

Honorable mention: Just about every team member that wasn't her most recent capture. Seriously. Honest question here. After she got Poliwag, or after it evolved, how many times did she use Staryu? And how many times did she use Poliwhirl (or Politoed) after she got Corsola?
    Actually Goldeen was used in three battles in total(against Marina Tentacruel, Molly Kingdra in third movie and Dorian Quilfish). Although all three battles it lost. Lack of water rich areas wasn't so much problem either, when taking in account how Orange Islands were perfect opportunity being all the time around water. And Johto had several lakes, rivers and water rich places too(especially Whirl islands). But for some weird reason writers never used poor fish there, doing something significant out of it. Definitely bad treatment from their side.

About question, while Staryu kinda took backseat to Poliwag and evolutions, it was still her second most used pokemon before Corsola. It was used in quite a good number of battle against sea pirates when Ash released Lapras, when battling for Totodile(or third movie if it counts). Although most of battles were against TR Arbok, Weezing or Vicreebel, Butch and Csssidy, to help carry out group out of danger(like it did when they traveled with Plain to Olivine City), to distinguish fire etc.

Poliwhirl was later mostly used for most of major battles, and surprisingly it stayed her most used pokemon even after getting Corsola. Corsola shined most in Whirl Islands being used for approximately 16 times, while in comparison Poliwhirl(later Politoad)after "Real Corsola Caper"was used for 21 episode.

Totodile did perfectly well in most of it's battles, Cyndaquil and Phanpy also had some good battles aswell.

I do gotta say Noctowl could had been used a lot more when he was on the Johto team.

Geodude wasn't used an whole lot when he was with Brock, he should had used him a lot more.
    Last edited by sereb devil; 31st July 2012 at 12:00 PM.

Torterra, seriously all it does is lose and its a fully evolved starter, to add insult to injury sceptile took down a darkrai next round while torterra fainted vs a drapion.

I
    Actually Goldeen was used in three battles in total(against Marina Tentacruel, Molly Kingdra in third movie and Dorian Quilfish). Although all three battles it lost. Lack of water rich areas wasn't so much problem either, when taking in account how Orange Islands were perfect opportunity being all the time around water. And Johto had several lakes, rivers and water rich places too(especially Whirl islands). But for some weird reason writers never used poor fish there, doing something significant out of it. Definitely bad treatment from their side.
    Actually, Goldeen won a preliminary match in the Whirl Cup (the battle wasn't really shown though). However, IMO it easily got the worst treatment.

Misty should have just left Goldeen at the Cerulean Gym & taken Starmie instead tbh.

First of all being present in every episode doesn't mean he received enough spotlight. When someone receives focus it means receiving character development, being used in battles, being seen training etc. In most episodes Axew wasn't doing any of that being relatively underused when it comes to battles. Aside from training under Iris to master dragon rage, i can't honestly remember being trained much at all.
    Then you should probably watch them again to refresh your memory. I just gave you a list that proves Axew is being trained and used often. Whether you want to read it or not is up to you.

And when he does battle, he usually learns powerful attacks with no training or foreshadowing prior to that
    I already said I understood why people say that. Even that's understandable because it's the same deal with Scraggy, (knew Heatbutt immideately after hatching, learning Focus Blast, Hi Jump Kick) and obviously the writers are going to handle Axew the same way. They're rivals and one of them can't fall behind.
    Being barely trained,
    Already talked about this.

used in rather small amount of battles
    Already brought this up, thanks to said list I mentioned earlier.

and learning attacks out of nowhere=/=good treatment.
    Learning attacks out of nowhere.......I thought every pokemon does this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast