Page 71 of 97 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 2402

Thread: BWS2-08 Ash, Iris & Trip's Final Battle [FIRST POST UPDATED 08/01!]

  1. #1751
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Aspertia City
    Posts
    3,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    Yes. In fact, all of the users on this forum (except you) are actually a hyper intelligent troll Chatot who can type. You're surrounded by all of my alt accounts.
    You do realize.that was a joke, right?

    On topic, after next week's break and ep 7, do we know enough of this episode or is there more we don't know.

  2. #1752
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    6,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Aker View Post
    I was just responding to Col-Erase's claim that Krokodile is a "DEM asspull", despite the fact it's actually one of Ash's better develped Pokemon. But not considering it cheap that Iris was given a Pokemon right before the WTJC, whose strength Iris had nothing to do with, and being happy that it takes a supposed "DEM" to beat.
    Just don't respond. xD

    Just let this whole Dragonite thing blow off. You'll feel much better.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

  3. #1753
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    This account has been hacked.
    Posts
    3,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Ideals View Post
    You do realize.that was a joke, right?
    But you don't know if I'm serious or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac
    Just let this whole Dragonite thing blow off. You'll feel much better.
    I hope it doesn't take much longer for it to blow off. I'm sick of every post being about Iris these days. Isn't Ash the main character? :/

  4. #1754
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    2,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    I hope it doesn't take much longer for it to blow off. I'm sick of every post being about Iris these days. Isn't Ash the main character? :/
    She's one of the main characters in BW, it's obvious people will talk about her, how can you make such ridiculous claim?

  5. #1755
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Aspertia City
    Posts
    3,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RickHoenn View Post
    She's one of the main characters in BW, it's obvious people will talk about her, how can you make such ridiculous claim?
    Character hatred blinds the minds. I don't like.Trip, but I'm not going to bash him like how people been bashing Cilan, Bianca, the others rivals, Dawn and Piplup, etc.


    We need a three episode preview after the break.

  6. #1756
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    This account has been hacked.
    Posts
    3,197

    Default

    I can make such ridiculous claim because for the past month or so nearly every thread has been about Iris and her Dragonite.

    I just wish things would go back to the way they were. Is that so bad?

  7. #1757
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RickHoenn View Post
    She's one of the main characters in BW, it's obvious people will talk about her, how can you make such ridiculous claim?
    Potatoes gonna potate. We already know that...

  8. #1758
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Wow ... there's a lot of controversy here from such a lite convo O.o
    Will try to make this fast ...
        Spoiler:- Stuff bout Iris Directed at G-A:

    You want to keep this up then I will gladly go along with it. If there's a problem with us talking here then maybe we should move to another thread.

  9. #1759

    Default

    To me, Excadrill could have beat Beartic and Mamoswine just as easily as Dragonite could. People hype Dragonite up as if it's this godly pokemon. All it has going for it is it's Deux Ex Machina bulkiness (Tanking Ice Beam which Dragonite is 4x weak to? Really?) and a diverse movepool.

    Though Dragonite DOES make Togekiss look good in terms of how it was done. The only problem I have with Iris is that all of the pokemon she gets were disobedient. Emolga was lazy(?), Excadrill was very depressed and Dragonite doesn't listen to Iris' commands. I guarantee that if Iris gets a fifth pokemon, it will be disobedient. If the writers are going to give her pokemon, be somewhat original with how you make them instead of having 3 pokemon which were disobedient at some point.

  10. #1760
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    This account has been hacked.
    Posts
    3,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Royal_Qeca View Post
    Potatoes gonna potate. We already know that...
    You know what you just said makes zero sense, right......?

  11. #1761
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    my secret lair
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lunanight View Post
    To me, Excadrill could have beat Beartic and Mamoswine just as easily as Dragonite could. People hype Dragonite up as if it's this godly pokemon. All it has going for it is it's Deux Ex Machina bulkiness (Tanking Ice Beam which Dragonite is 4x weak to? Really?) and a diverse movepool.

    Though Dragonite DOES make Togekiss look good in terms of how it was done. The only problem I have with Iris is that all of the pokemon she gets were disobedient. Emolga was lazy(?), Excadrill was very depressed and Dragonite doesn't listen to Iris' commands. I guarantee that if Iris gets a fifth pokemon, it will be disobedient. If the writers are going to give her pokemon, be somewhat original with how you make them instead of having 3 pokemon which were disobedient at some point.

    firstly i would say that excadrill & Beartic are about as strong as eachother.But i think it must be remebered that excadrill dosn't have that great of a battle record it lost to beartic and then after some training managed to draw with it,Just about managed to beat dewott(owned by burgundy who isn't the best trainer.) and pikachu(who had a major type disadvantage and no really effective moves to use against excadrill). Beartic dosn't have a perfect record either in addition to drawing with a excadrill that hadn't trained for two years it was was very nearly beaten by a joltik.So simply put dragonite beating beartic meerly demosnstrates it is resonably strong and thats especially true if it got a critical hit which was why it vs beartic was a one hit ko.Dragonites next two battles will show it's not as overpowered as the hype.

    However i have noticed your point about iris so far only axew hasn't disobeyed her although it is true,1 hing to consider they each have disobeyed for different reasons so far(excadrill-dented pride, emolga-laziness and dragonite-dosn't feel it need to).So hopefully if she catches something else it won't be disobediant because there won't be a reason for it to be.Hopefully.

  12. #1762
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Col-Erase View Post
    It doesn't? Could have sworn that that was a reasonable reason for the writers to give her a strong Dragon Type Pokemon. To get closer to her stated goal.
    Giving her a Dragonite was seemingly only introduced to circumvent her problem of going so long without raising another Dragon type Pokemon to be strong. It's rushed cheap development, plain and simple. Dragonite strength doesn't reflect Iris, as she had no input on it.

    And I'm not "calling out" Krokorok ... I'm just saying that it's a DEM asspull win. You know what else is a Dem asspull Win? Axew going into outrage mode and winning that match ... and any big match that's won as a result of a Pokemon learning a move or evolving in the middle of the battle when they couldn't have otherwise won.
    You can't compare Krokorok and Axew. Krokorok has been shown as a competent wild Pokemon since it's intro way back in BW003. It was shown to battle Pikachu a few times, battled a couple of Gym Leaders, participated in a Tag battle, etc. Evolution is the next step to it's development given it's shown past screen-time. The event is appropriate (Pokémon train, and get stronger to evolve), and builds on elements introduced previously. It makes sense with Krokorok's character. This evolution is not being used to compensate for a lack of development like Iris getting Dragonite, or Axew learning Outrage out of the blue while not being shown to be able to handle any trainer Pokemon before hand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Col-Erase View Post
    I love how you're not only ignoring her past battles but also the last one to air ... wonderful!
    Okay let's look at her major on-screen battles then shall we?

    Vs Random Trainer with Druddigon: derp Attack, attack, attack.
    Vs Drayden: Derp Attack, attack attack, attack.
    Vs Georgia: Derp attack, attack, attack, attack
    Vs Stephan: *gasp stragety*
    Vs Ash: Here, Ash actually used strategy, using spins to increase power of Iron Tail. What did Iris do the entire match? Lol, attack, attack, attack, attack.
    Vs Burgundy: Again, here Burgundy used strategy. Shooting water down the hole so Excadrill couldn't dig(and no, dig-a-hole is not a strategy). Also using the move Revenge as a strategy. Once again what did Iris do the entire match? Attack, attack, attack, attack.
    Vs Masaomi: Attack, attack, attack, attack.

    So, yes I pay attention to her battles just fine. There's no real depth, or strategy in the way she battles.
    Last edited by Graham Aker; 12th August 2012 at 6:43 AM.

  13. #1763
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Aker View Post
    Giving her a Dragonite was seemingly only introduced to circumvent her problem of going so long without raising another Dragon type Pokemon to be strong. It's rushed cheap development, plain and simple. Dragonite strength doesn't reflect Iris, as she had no input on it.
    Unlike you I don't think it's that simple ...
    She wants to be a Dragon Master ... which means she has to train and learn how to connect with different dragon types, right?
    But there's a problem with giving her another Dragon Type, she has to raise Axew and the people behind the show have clearly said that there's problems with having him evolve so we shouldn't expect that to happen anytime soon.

    Whats the problem? Well, if she gets a baby dragon like Dratini that's somehow better at battling than Axew is then that kinda really makes him look bad and takes his thunder. If she has a dragon that evolves before Axew that also makes him look bad seeing as he wants to evolve but because of how hard it would be to animate Fraxure outside the ball that likely wont happen until the tail end of the series. They also want to promote the games where Iris is the champ and prodigy which is clear in how they handle her a lot of the time. So it's understandable that they would want to give her a strong, fully evolved Dragon that was marketable and would present her with different problems and wouldn't steal thunder from her baby.

    So no, I don't think they did it souly to make her look super strong. I think it was done to give her a different angle to work on with a different dragon type that wouldn't get in the way of her raising Axew.


    You can't compare Krokorok and Axew. Krokorok has been shown as a competent wild Pokemon since it's intro way back in BW003. It was shown to battle Pikachu a few times, battled a couple of Gym Leaders, participated in a Tag battle, etc. Evolution is the next step to it's development given it's shown past screen-time. The event is appropriate (Pokémon train, and get stronger to evolve), and builds on elements introduced previously. It makes sense with Krokorok's character. This evolution is not being used to compensate for a lack of development like Iris getting Dragonite, or Axew learning Outrage out of the blue while not being shown to be able to handle any trainer Pokemon before hand.
    If it evolves as a means to beat an other-wise unbeatable enemy in it's "dire hour" and succeeds then it's DEM. Plan and simple. It's just as DEM as a Pokemon learning a beastly move in the middle of battle that turns the tables in it's favor. This cartoon is RUN on DEM battles, like a ton of anime and Manga are. Here's an example of it evolving and winning without it being DEM ...

    It's training with Ash before the battle, evolves (Or it battles in the round before that one and evolves after it wins that match), goes into the battle fully evolved and beats Dragonite.
    I'm just saying it's a DEM asspull win. Many people who don't even like Iris or Dragonite have called it such ... and that's just the nature of this show. Heck, I see tons of fans who arnt happy that Ash relies so much on DEM-evolutions in BW.
        Spoiler:- attack attack attack:

  14. #1764
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,661

    Default

    Whats the problem?
    Giving someone a fully evolved Pokemon in their said goal is a short-cut, to avoid them having to show them raise strong Pokemon on their own. Given how sparse Iris development already is, it's safe to say that this was only done because she's near the end of her run and didn't have a single fully evolved Pokemon of her desired type. It's even further emphasized by the fact the issue with Dragonite is solved very quickly, to avoid the "hassle" of what could have been a somewhat decent story-line for Iris.

    It's training with Ash before the battle, evolves (Or it battles in the round before that one and evolves after it wins that match), goes into the battle fully evolved and beats Dragonite.
    I'm just saying it's a DEM asspull win. Many people who don't even like Iris or Dragonite have called it such ... and that's just the nature of this show. Heck, I see tons of fans who arnt happy that Ash relies so much on DEM-evolutions in BW.
    No, mid battle evolution's aren't automatically bad writing. When you have a mid-battle evolution that is backed by a good story, character, and believable development then it's not DEM. It's not out of the blue, given we actually have seen Krokorok enough times to justify it's evolution. By comparison Roggenrola had no battle-screen time, had no established character, and nothing to justify it's evolution.

    Deus ex Machina is a previously unintroduced element in a story that solves a seemingly unsolvable problem in a contrived way. We've know about Sandile/Krokorok for a while now. Unlike Roggenrola there is logical progression with Krokorok. He appears as a decently strong wild Pokemon, battles Pikachu a few times, evolves, has a Tag Battle with Pikachu, is caught, get's beaten in a gym battle, trains, wins a gym battle, pushed against the wall/struggles, and evolves to get a win. Again, the evolution here is the result of development and not used to circumvent it like Roggenrola's evolution. Krokorok's evolution is not the result of luck, it is based on what we've previously seen from Krokorok's development. And sorry, but I've only see you be the one to call this a "DEM asspull" win. Alot more people had a problem with Dragonite than they do with Ash's Krokorok evolving.

    *snip*
    You clearly can't see that her entire battle style largely revolves around just completely overpowering her opponent, through constant attacks. She's clearly not as creative as Ash, or even Cilan (when not using Crustle) when it comes to battling. It has nothing to do with bias. You don't see her taking advantage of the battlefield, pulling out combinations, etc. against the majority of the trainers she's faced this saga. Iris just isn't very creative. Plain and simple.
    Last edited by Graham Aker; 12th August 2012 at 5:58 PM.

  15. #1765
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Aker View Post
    Giving someone a fully evolved Pokemon in their said goal is a short-cut, to avoid them having to show them raise strong Pokemon on their own.
    Her goal is to become a dragon master and raise Axew into a powerful Haxorus. Being a Dragon Master means that you're a master at connecting with the hearts of Dragons and bringing out their full potential. Having a Dragonite does not mean that she has a shortcut in said goal. In fact, she got Dragonite to come with her because of how she connected to it's heart and now she has to bring out it's full potential. Hell, a good chunk of her progress in this goal has been with Dragons she doesn't even own.


    No, mid battle evolution's aren't automatically bad writing.
    I never said DEM was "Bad writing" for a series like Pokemon. I mean, it's generally seen as bad writing but Pokemon isn't a series one links to "good/ decent writing" to begin with. It's a device that's used for dramatic effect, to make a dynamic shift in a battle and entertain the viewers. Given the nature of the demographic (kids and preteens) and genre (anime action adventure) "good writing" by normal standards shouldn't be expected. That's why this show has non-sense like "Thunder Armor/ AIM FOR THE HORN/ Finish this with False Swipe/ Now, SPIN TO DODGE!/ Counter shield!". It's like Bleach or Naruto ... it loves making it's battles more dynamic through dramatic DEM.

    When you have a mid-battle evolution that is backed by a good story, character, and believable development then it's not DEM. It's not out of the blue, given we actually have seen Krokorok enough times to justify it's evolution. By comparison Roggenrola had no battle-screen time, had no established character, and nothing to justify it's evolution.

    Deus ex Machina is a previously unintroduced element in a story that solves a seemingly unsolvable problem in a contrived way. We've know about Sandile/Krokorok for a while now. Unlike Roggenrola there is logical progression with Krokorok.
    Someone used Google!

    But someone forgot to look a lil harder. There's more than one type of DEM. There's 4 with shades between them. Batman can have all the build up in the world of being super smart ... still gonna be DEM when he pulls out just the right gadget from his belt in his dire hour. Ichigo can be shown training an in the hyperbolic time chamber with his dad ... still gonna be DEM when he beats Aizen with the "Final Getsuga". If a character's being beaten in a "no win" situation and suddenly gains some new power or strength that allows them to turn the tables it's DEM. Some unknown, unforeseen force has been introduced to save that character. "Bu bu but!" No, it's pretty simple. If Ash wins that battle because of that evol and not because of some awesome logical game-plan it's DEM.

    And sorry, but I've only see you be the one to call this a "DEM asspull" win. Alot more people had a problem with Dragonite than they do with Ash's Krokorok evolving.
    Too bad, I could look those post up for you but I don't have the energy to look for post from a week or 2 ago just for you to ignore :P

    You clearly can't see that her entire battle style largely revolves around just completely overpowering her opponent, through constant attacks. She's clearly not as creative as Ash, or even Cilan (when not using Crustle) when it comes to battling. It has nothing to do with bias. You don't see her taking advantage of the battlefield, pulling out combinations, etc. against the majority of the trainers she's faced this saga. Iris just isn't very creative. Plain and simple.
    You're judging her based on how she uses Excadrill in these battles which you look at in a bias manner. Lets look pass how she uses attacks to deflect and counter other attacks. Lets forget the context of the battles and the decisions made in them. Let's forget that she battles with different Pokemon in different ways (Diva for example. She had to use her differently then she uses Axew or Excadrill ... which shows how she uses her Pokemon's strengths in battle).

  16. #1766
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    my secret lair
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    so wha do you think is ash vs trip going to start in this episode or the next one?

  17. #1767
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luthor View Post
    so wha do you think is ash vs trip going to start in this episode or the next one?
    I'm guessing the next one.

  18. #1768
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South California
    Posts
    4,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luthor View Post
    so wha do you think is ash vs trip going to start in this episode or the next one?
    This one since the title does mention Ash, Iris, & Trip's final battles, so I'd assume Ash VS Trip starts here & concludes in the next one.
    - Claimed:



    -XY, already better than Best Wishes.xD

    Pokemon Y Team:

    Greninja
    Talonflame
    Pikachu
    Venusaur
    Flygon
    Aggron

    3DS FC: 1993-7360-7585

  19. #1769
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Col-Erase View Post
    Some unknown, unforeseen force has been introduced to save that character.
    Except people expect things to be revealed in the very first chapter/episode or whatever, otherwise when an element is introduced later it's suddenly an asspull.

    What! What do you mean Sally Nobody can pick locks and escape the prison with a bobby pin. WTF! We're in the 12th episode and we didn't learn about this sooner. DEM! DEM! Even though nothing in the previous eleven episodes contradict her being able to pick locks.

    Look I'll agree to an extent that I don't like how Ash is going to beat Iris. Mamoswine seemed like it was pretty even with Dragonite. And yet Krokorok isn't being given the same courtesy and is evolving and somehow seemingly OHKO's Dragonite, I mean sure maybe the Manga Adaptation is wrong, I really hope it is.

    But Krokorok's evolution itself isn't DEM since it makes sense enough. And evolution when you're pushed to your limits is definitely not an unknown, unforeseeable force.

    I mean after all how many countless times do we see this happening. There's clearly a precedence.

    If Sally Nobody was able to pick a lock in the first episode of the first season. You're not going to call it DEM when she picks a lock in the season finale and manages to save everyone. It's been introduced to her character that she can pick locks.

    Likewise "pushed to your limits and evolving" is a precedence in the Pokemon anime. So it's not an unknown unforeseeable circumstance, at least not for us audiences.

    Because there is a difference between not liking how something turned out and calling what happened DEM.

    You can dislike how it went down all you want, but it's still not DEM.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  20. #1770
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    But Krokorok's evolution itself isn't DEM since it makes sense enough. And evolution when you're pushed to your limits is definitely not an unknown, unforeseeable force.

    I mean after all how many countless times do we see this happening. There's clearly a precedence. .
    Actually, you're wrong in a few ways and there's more to DEM than what you quoted. DEM doesn't mean something doesn't make sense, at it's core it means that some great force conveniently steps in at just the right time and turns the table in a conflict resulting in a solution to an otherwise unsolvable problem. Like Batman and his belt of DEM. It makes PREFECT sense that Batman would have XYZ in their world ... but it's still DEM when he just so happens to have Shark Repellent at just the right time when he didn't expect to be around sharks. In this case, evolution is the "great force" that steps in to save Krokorok from defeat when he couldn't otherwise win. With Axew it was going into an Out Rage at just the right moment that got it a win in a battle it couldn't have won otherwise.

    Ash did not go into that battle knowing it would evolve, it was a completely conveniently placed power up that results in his win. It may be common in this cartoon ... but that's because it's an over-used plot device in a cartoon geared towards children. As I explained, it's used for "dramatic effect" and to make the fights seem more dynamic and entertaining. And as I said, I'm happy it happened that way. It's pretty much a guaranteed win when a Pokemon evolves in the middle of a battle seeing as ... that always happens when a Pokemon evolves in battle. It doesn't automatically put them above the Pokemon they beat seeing as it's an unexpected turn of events in their world and that alone can turn the tables.
    Last edited by Col-Erase; 13th August 2012 at 6:19 AM.

  21. #1771
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Col-Erase View Post
    at it's core it means that some great force conveniently steps in at just the right time and turns the table in a conflict resulting in a solution to an otherwise unsolvable problem.
    Is it DEM when in real life, a woman who has adrenaline pumping through her veins and can conveniently lift up a heavy vehicle just enough for her child to get away even though without adrenaline said woman wouldn't be able to have lifted said vehicle.

    Is it DEM when a fighter is pummelling another fighter who can't seem to fight back to suddenly get a lucky break and make an amazing comeback, when it was so certain that he was just going to lose just moments before?

    Evolution is there, accessible to the Pokemon.

    Evolved Pokemon are more powerful than their unevolved forms, the game taught us that. So clearly it would be no wonder why Krookodile would do better than it's pre-evolved form.

    Now something like Pikachu evolving into Raichu and beating an opponent, now that's DEM because evolution isn't accessible to Pikachu without a thunderstone.

    Krokorok evolves by level up. And we've seen Pokemon evolve in mid-battle through training.

    We've seen Pokemon evolving because of emotional reasons. We've seen Pokemon evolving because they were pushed in the corner, and most likely a powerful surge of adrenaline rushes through their body to induce evolution.

    Evolution isn't merely a great power that steps in. We've had the anime tell us that Pokemon can refuse the evolutionary process. We've had the anime tell us that Pokemon can induce evolution if they want to evolve at the moment.

    It's a tool that they can use. A last resort tool.

    An unevolved Pokemon has moves and abilities to use at their disposal. And should that fail them, why wouldn't they be able tap in the power to evolve for that boosted strength and potentially a new move?

    Isn't that what people in a war do?

    Let's assume for a moment that there's some giant monster creature out there in New York State United States. So the army fires missiles, bullets, mortar shells at this giant monster creature and yet no effect. Are you really arguing that it's DEM that the president ordered a fighter jet from Maine to fly to New York and deliver a nuclear warhead that just so happens to kill the monster.

    Because that's what you seem to be arguing, if it's not right there, in the sense that Ash can say "Krokorok EVOLVE!" and Krokorok does evolve that it's some great "powerful" force that solves unsolvable problem. Even though I would compare evolution to that fighter jet in a few states over it's accessible but not immediately accessible.

    But isn't that like arguing that a Pokemon that knows Ice beam and three electric attack going up against a grass/ground Pokemon, that ice beam is DEM since it's a great force that solves unsolvable problem.

    And before you argue, this hypothetical situation is without knowing that ice attacks do great harm to a grass/ground Pokemon and electric attacks have no effect on a ground Pokemon. No matter how many times electric moves don't work on the ground Pokemon you finally use your ice attack and the Pokemon gets knocked out.

    Like Batman and his belt of DEM. It makes PREFECT sense that Batman would have XYZ in their world ... but it's still DEM when he just so happens to have Shark Repellent at just the right time when he didn't expect to be around sharks.
    You could only argue that if and only if you knew Batman didn't always keep Shark Repellent on his belt for all we know it could be a staple item because Batman had a horrible experience with sharks at one point, and always wants shark repellent even if he's stopping crooks rob a bank.

    After all there is saying. "Expect the Unexpected."

    And thus I would argue that any place/location that can hold large amounts of water to contain sharks could very well contain sharks. Even if the likelihood depends on whether or not there are actual sharks, it's always better to be prepared than not.

    Isn't that why people are supposed to have emergency kits in their vehicle? I mean no one expects to be caught in the middle of a sudden blizzard that causes them to crash and get stuck. Is it DEM that there just so happens to be a blanket in the back seat, warm enough to keep you warm until the blizzard passes?

    Plus in real life, I can even attest to the saying "Why didn't I think of it sooner?" So I wouldn't argue that a "lightbulb" moment at the last minute to escape is considered DEM.

    After all it's hard to think rationally and intelligently when you're about to be killed by a table saw. And who knows possibly you don't need to use the "convenient escape item" to escape. Maybe the ropes weren't tight enough, why go straight to the laser pen when the more likely action you're going to perform the action of struggling with the ropes.

    Of course this analogy is getting way off base here.

    But my point is evolution is accessible to the Pokemon. Trainers really can't control when their Pokemon evolve unless stone induced evolution, or maybe trade evolution. So arguing that Ash doesn't know evolution is going to happen, doesn't make it any less accessible.

    And again in regards to Axew's outrage, I wouldn't call that DEM for the simple fact, that Pokemon can use up to nine moves during a battle where the opposing trainer is using 6 Pokemon, just by game logic. Granted nearly impossible circumstances, but game logic, says if the right circumstances were to work, a Pokemon can use nine moves. Sure if we use game logic, then Axew would've had to defeat a Pokemon to learn outrage to use it against Golett, but without knowing how Pokemon learn moves, we can't exactly say that it's the same in the anime and thus Pokemon can learn moves during battle. For all we know the move might have actually already existed but maybe it wasn't accessible because it wasn't quite there, knowing how to use the move was incomplete, it was like at 50% but couldn't be used because it wasn't all there. Maybe as Axew was, being pushed into absolute fear of being attacked, instead of inducing evolution maybe the adrenaline filled in the missing 50% of the move allowing it to use.

    Again we don't know how Pokemon learn their moves. We can't really understand how a Pokemon learns moves naturally. The only thing I can think of is that, the moves are there (but are like only at 1%), there just has to be conditions that need to be satisfied.

    I mean move tutor moves make sense. Watching a Pokemon using a move makes sense. Upgrading moves make sense.

    But in-game as well as the anime some moves naturally or TM or egg move, a Pokemon learns a move that's like learning French but with not having heard French before. So like I said the only way to rationalize is the blueprints are there coded within the Pokemon, just certain circumstances need to be satisfied in some fashion to use said moves.

    So basically don't confuse bad writing or unfavorable writing with DEM.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  22. #1772
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    my secret lair
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KibaLG8 View Post
    This one since the title does mention Ash, Iris, & Trip's final battles, so I'd assume Ash VS Trip starts here & concludes in the next one.
    if thats true then it would imply that the trip vs ash won't be a one hit move match,wonder who ash will use to battle serperior.I think he might select leavanny again.

  23. #1773
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canal Fulton, OH
    Posts
    3,678

    Default

    This whole debate about evolution in mid-battle being DEM is utterly ridiculous. Someone mentioned the real life example of what adrenaline can allow humans to do in moments of duress that they normally wouldn't be able to do. Pokemon battles, particularly gym battles, or important battles such as in these tournaments, mean just as much to the Pokemon battling as to their trainers, and the fact that the Pokemon wants to win, for it's trainer, ads to that intensity. In a real life sense, these are the moments when Adrenaline would be kicking in like mad. It has always made more sense to me that evolution would happen in a moment of passion or great need, when the Pokemon has reached it's limit in the pre-evolved stage and requires that boost in strength, power, whatever. The show doesn't take into account the "experience" factor when it comes to evolution, as the games rely on. If anything, the Anime is more realistic in that sense then the games, there isn't a magic number for relate-able things in real life. Does it make the battle more dramatic, yes, evolution on it's own is exciting, does it turn the tide of the battle, more often then not yes, but that's the point of the evolution in the first place. Thinking back to when Chimchar evolved into Monferno, his evolution was one of the few examples when his evolution didn't lead to victory. In other situations, a Pokemon evolved just after battling, such as when Charmander evolved. That evolution was more from the build up of all Charmander had just done in a very short amount of time, he was on the high of an Adrenaline rush. I guess the big point is, in the show, evolution comes quite often as a need, when there's really no other way to continue in the moment.

    As to this whole debate about Iris catching Dragonite, why is this so controversial to people. Iris didn't intentionally go seeking out a Dragonite, it just happened to be something she ran into. She put herself in harms way to protect it, and ensured it's treatment. She gained it's trust/respect. Did her capture give her a pre-determined powerhouse, yes, but so what, why is that such a big deal to people? It's clear from these battles in the tournament, Iris and Dragonite still are going to have issues that will need resolved, which will build on their story and relationship beyond this tournament. As powerful as Dragonite is, clearly it isn't unbeatable, as it will loose to Krokodile. If Iris had gotten an unbeatable Pokemon, then fine, yeah, everyone's issue with the capture would make sense, but Dragonites have been beaten before, they'll be beaten again. Iris's Dragonite will win some and loose some. The capture happened, whether you like it or not, it's time to let it go and just go with it.

    Pokemon X Friend Code: 5258-0130-4229 / Electric: Dedenne, Pikachu, Zebstrika

    This is just my opinion, if you don't support the main character of the show, why bother watching.

  24. #1774
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In the Dutch Mountains
    Posts
    8,785

    Default

    Okay, so I come back after more then a week of absence, and the sillyness still isn't over.. Well, at least I didn't miss any of it :P
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

  25. #1775
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luthor View Post
    if thats true then it would imply that the trip vs ash won't be a one hit move match,wonder who ash will use to battle serperior.I think he might select leavanny again.
    I'd rather Ash use Krookodile if a Pokemon has to lose to Serperior. Because I don't like the idea of Leavanny losing to Serperior, when Leavanny should have the edge over Seperior.

    So I would rather Trip either use a different Pokemon. Or someone else falls to Serperior than Leavanny. And if it's not Krookodile/Leavanny then I hope it's whatever potential 2nd round Pokemon Ash uses because at least it would've gotten a win.

    I doubt want Unfezant to be used against Serperior either. Pignite is the only acceptable type advantage Pokemon that should lose to Serperior.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Page 71 of 97 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •