Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 510

Thread: Islamophobia and McCarthyism

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Not to mention, as I said above, thousands upon thousands of Muslims celebrated and gave gifts to one another when the WTC fell. There is footage of this. That right there should say something. And this is not an isolated case. They do this almost every time someone is killed in the name of their god. For a supposed religion of peace, it sure tends to be violent. Again, this is not Islamophobia. I'm simply making an observation based on historical facts.
    Thousands of Muslims celebrated the attacks? Really? I like your proof on that.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    8,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    Thousands of Muslims celebrated the attacks? Really? I like your proof on that.
    Thousands in the Middle East ( Especially in Palestine ) did, not in the U.S or in Canada.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMOZvbYJMvU

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    Honestly you can find verses in the Quran that justify those killings, the suicide attacks, etc etc, just as you can find verses that justify peace. Things like:

    "Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward."

    "I would love to be martyred in Allah's Cause and then get resurrected and then get martyred, and then get resurrected again and then get martyred and then get resurrected again and then get martyred."

    Honestly, the thing about the Koran is that it is honestly bipolar, you can find justification for nearly anything in there and mainly that can be attributed to Mohammad's journey who started off as a man of peace, and ended up a warlord.
    Well that kind of explains it...looked up a Qur'an website and the confusion begins with this simple phrase

    "Suicide is against Islam. Martyrdom is not."

    Contradictions everywhere. Just because you're killing for something's sake, doesn't mean that the act of killing itself is justified.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    Funny thing is, a Muslim can walk down the streets of Israel and survive, can't say the same for a Jew walking down the streets of Palestine.
    Israel is backed up by USA and their resources. Palestine is not.

    Otherwise explain the lopsided civilian kills during the Gaza War by the Israeli Force.


    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Not to mention, as I said above, thousands upon thousands of Muslims celebrated and gave gifts to one another when the WTC fell. There is footage of this. That right there should say something. And this is not an isolated case. They do this almost every time someone is killed in the name of their god. For a supposed religion of peace, it sure tends to be violent. Again, this is not Islamophobia. I'm simply making an observation based on historical facts.
    uh-huh, where's the tape first and foremost?

    Secondly, so you think just because they did it that it reflects on ALL Muslims?

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    Thousands in the Middle East ( Especially in Palestine ) did, not in the U.S or in Canada.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMOZvbYJMvU
    https://p.twimg.com/AlxEB6JCIAArqpN.jpg:large

    Israelis celebrating Palestine Children getting killed.

    Does that mean ALL Israeli/Jewish people reflect this attitude? No.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    Thousands in the Middle East ( Especially in Palestine ) did, not in the U.S or in Canada.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMOZvbYJMvU
    And they represent the vast majority of Muslims? You are looking at only one side of the story instead of looking at the other. That's like saying that the majority of white Americans celebrated the MLK Jr.'s assassination. There are actually Palestinians that condemned the attacks you know.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    8,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    Well that kind of explains it...looked up a Qur'an website and the confusion begins with this simple phrase

    "Suicide is against Islam. Martyrdom is not."

    Contradictions everywhere. Just because you're killing for something's sake, doesn't mean that the act of killing itself is justified.
    Of course, you need to be killing for a greater good, for God or some religious reason, which is why so many suicide bombers look to religion for justification.

    Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    Israel is backed up by USA and their resources. Palestine is not.
    Which does not explain why one side is more hostile than the other.

    Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    Otherwise explain the lopsided civilian kills during the Gaza War by the Israeli Force.
    Because the Palestinian forces are cowards, there is no other way to say it, they are pathetic cowards. They hide in civilians, using hospitals and schools as shields in hopes that when Israel attacks that the world will act like idiots and express outrage. In reality the world needs to stand up and tell the Palestinians to stop hiding behind civilians.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul
    And they represent the vast majority of Muslims? You are looking at only one side of the story instead of looking at the other. That's like saying that the majority of white Americans celebrated the MLK Jr.'s assassination. There are actually Palestinians that condemned the attacks you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    https://p.twimg.com/AlxEB6JCIAArqpN.jpg:large

    Israelis celebrating Palestine Children getting killed.

    Does that mean ALL Israeli/Jewish people reflect this attitude? No.
    I want both of you to find me the post where I said that video reflected ALL the people? Or even the Vast Majority of Muslims. I am waiting.
    Last edited by BigLutz; 1st August 2012 at 9:42 PM.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    And they represent the vast majority of Muslims? You are looking at only one side of the story instead of looking at the other. That's like saying that the majority of white Americans celebrated the MLK Jr.'s assassination. There are actually Palestinians that condemned the attacks you know.
    Show me where I said it was all Muslims. I'll take you seriously again when you're able to do this.
    A Winner Is You!!!

    If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

    The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    Show me where I said it was all Muslims. I'll take you seriously again when you're able to do this.
    You were saying that thousands of Palestinians celebrated the 9/11 attacks as if it was a fact and saying it represents the majority of Muslims, without looking at the entire story when it's actually a half truth.

    Also, it's not like there is history in Christianity involving wars and such.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    8,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    You were saying that thousands of Palestinians celebrated the 9/11 attacks as if it was a fact
    He said Islamists and then Muslims, I was the one that pointed it out that it was Palestinians, but yes it is a fact there was large celebrations in the Middle East.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    and saying it represents the majority of Muslims, without looking at the entire story when it's actually a half truth.
    I hate to defend him here but he never even said it was a majority from the two posts I am looking at on the previous page, he said thousands and thousands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    Also, it's not like there is history in Christianity involving wars and such
    And your point is....?






    And mind you this wasn't just Palestine, there are accounts from Pakistan all the way to Britain of celebrations going on that day.

    "Finsbury Park mosque. Pro-terror demonstrations, graffiti and anti-white posters. at Abu Hamsa’s terror camp

    Forest Gate, East London. Local residents sickened by sounds of cheering and celebrations coming from Romford Road mosque on the evening of the slaughter. Muslims leaving the mosque drove off hooting their horns, shouting and waving.

    Slough. Letter in Daily Telegraph to express disgust at having witnessed a class of 15-year-old British-born Pakistanis cheering, punching the air and mocking the tearful singing of the American national anthem.

    Solihull, Land Rover Plant. Three workers suspended after mocking the three minute silence. Security staff had to escort them from the building to prevent them from being attacked.

    Harrow. Fireworks let off during the three minutes silence on Friday.

    Cardiff. Young Muslims celebrate in city centre with flags on the evening of the attack.

    Birmingham, Small Heath. Celebrations inside and outside local mosque.

    Birmingham, Aston. Serious tension in main Royal Mail sorting office after Muslim workers applaud the attacks.

    Derby. Local residents disgusted as celebrations in a mosque spill out onto the street with flag waving and chants of triumph.

    Oldham. Cheering inside and outside mosques. White workers in Littlewoods Call Centre appalled when Muslim co-workers respond to news of the attack by “jumping up and down with joy.” Schoolchildren celebrate at Grange School with further celebrations along Waterloo Street. Park Cake Bakery. 4 Muslims sacked after cheering during 3 minute silence. Waterloo Street. “Cheering and dancing in the street” after news of the attack broke.

    Burnley. A would-be customer in a major shop in the town centre couldn’t find any staff to serve him on the afternoon of the attack. Walking through the shop he found the eight shop assistants - all of them obviously Muslims - crowded around a TV set at the back of the shop, laughing and shaking hands as they watched the footage of the mayhem. Fireworks let off on the evening of the attack in Stoneyholme."

    http://littlegreenfootballs.com/arti...ons_in_Britain
    Last edited by BigLutz; 1st August 2012 at 11:29 PM.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    You were saying that thousands of Palestinians celebrated the 9/11 attacks as if it was a fact and saying it represents the majority of Muslims, without looking at the entire story when it's actually a half truth.

    Also, it's not like there is history in Christianity involving wars and such.
    That's not even logical in the least. You're defensive over what you thought was implied, so you drew up a false equivancy by saying 'so what if there were Muslims celebrating, Christians went to war in the past'. Are you saying that it's okay for Muslim extremists to celebrate 9/11 because it's justified by Christians going to war centuries ago? Would you have defended the crusaders in that time? In both instances, both parties did something wrong, and it's absurd to say 'it's okay for x to do this, because y did it before'. If it's wrong, it's wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Albus Dumbledore
    Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

    My deviantART
    | Suggested Alternative News: The Juice Rap News and The Corbett Report

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    Also, it's not like there is history in Christianity involving wars and such.
    Are you joking.. Almost every war has been influenced by christians in a negative way because they wont stop until their way is the only way because they insist on making people believe what they believe, just like most extremist do from every religion,mainly because they refuse to try and understand all possible information and knowledge.
    Though do you not know history because when i last remembered it was the Christians that slaughtered millions of innocent people because they couldn't understand the knowledge some were creating and re-remembering, i refer to the witch-hunts, the massacres in south America when the Spanish invaded, when they killed native Americans and when they invaded and killed native Australians!

    Not to mention the when many forms of arcane knowledge and gnosis were stomped into the deserts of time and crumbled under away through the first crusade.
    IN which the knights were simply trying to defend their knowledge though the Church simply slaughtered them all!
    Last edited by Celestial Moth; 2nd August 2012 at 2:12 AM.
    Bug-Type Represent !

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Moth View Post
    Are you joking.. Almost every war has been influenced by christians in a negative way because they wont stop until their way is the only way because they insist on making people believe what they believe, just like most extremist do from every religion,mainly because they refuse to try and understand all possible information and knowledge.
    Though do you not know history because when i last remembered it was the Christians that slaughtered millions of innocent people because they couldn't understand the knowledge some were creating and re-remembering, i refer to the witch-hunts, the massacres in south America when the Spanish invaded, when they killed native Americans and when they invaded and killed native Australians!
    Of course. The point I'm trying to make is that there is a double standard in America when it comes to religion. While there are those that are not okay with Muslims imposing their values, they have no problem imposing their Christian values. Just so you know, I'm Catholic.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    Of course. The point I'm trying to make is that there is a double standard in America when it comes to religion. While there are those that are not okay with Muslims imposing their values, they have no problem imposing their Christian values. Just so you know, I'm Catholic.

    Fair enuf bro and i sense your remorse within your words, but when it comes to comparing one way of life to another simply trying to get moral leverage? No one can do that simply because they compare and have negative intentions while doing so.
    I understand that in some cases people just want to share and help others understand through multiple means though obviously their is a right way and a wrong way of doing that, and blowing up some buildings is defiantly the wrong way.
    Though most Muslims dont deserve this type of disrespect because Islamaphobia is a very ridicules attempt to legalize religious discrimination..
    Bug-Type Represent !

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Moth View Post
    Fair enuf bro and i sense your remorse within your words, but when it comes to comparing one way of life to another simply trying to get moral leverage? No one can do that simply because they compare and have negative intentions while doing so.
    I understand that in some cases people just want to share and help others understand through multiple means though obviously their is a right way and a wrong way of doing that, and blowing up some buildings is defiantly the wrong way.
    Though most Muslims dont deserve this type of disrespect because Islamaphobia is a very ridicules attempt so legalize religious discrimination..
    Yeah. Radicalism happens with any other religion. A recent example of Christian terrorism was what happened in Norway last year.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    2,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    Of course. The point I'm trying to make is that there is a double standard in America when it comes to religion. While there are those that are not okay with Muslims imposing their values, they have no problem imposing their Christian values. Just so you know, I'm Catholic.
    That's definately true, but somewhat off the subject.

    It's kind of frustrating, because nobody here was doing that, but it's as if people were combing what they said in an effort to see if they even implied it, because they were too nervous that speaking bluntly was being prejudiced. A number of people here just want to point out that Muslim extremists are a valid threat regardless of the fact that not all terrorists are Muslim extremists. (And by extension, Bachmann echoes a fear that people genuinely have, even if she did so in a sloppy and politically suspect way.) At some point policing people's sentiments to make sure they aren't McCarthy-esque gets ridiculous. Do we have to list all the religions that were involved in wars every time we mention Muslim extremism?
    Last edited by CSolarstorm; 2nd August 2012 at 2:39 AM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Albus Dumbledore
    Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

    My deviantART
    | Suggested Alternative News: The Juice Rap News and The Corbett Report

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyC View Post
    That's definately true, but somewhat off the subject.

    It's kind of frustrating, because nobody here was doing that, but it's as if people were combing what they said in an effort to see if they even implied it, because they were too nervous that speaking bluntly was being prejudiced. A number of people here just want to point out that Muslim extremists are a valid threat regardless of the fact that not all terrorists are Muslim extremists. (And by extension, Bachmann echoes a fear that people genuinely have, even if she did so in a sloppy and politically suspect way.) At some point policing people's sentiments to make sure they aren't McCarthy-esque gets ridiculous. Do we have to list all the religions that were involved in wars every time we mention Muslim extremism?
    Of course not because from what I believe, religion should NEVER be a valid excuse to create all this hate and destruction. It's wrong.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    Yeah. Radicalism happens with any other religion. A recent example of Christian terrorism was what happened in Norway last year.
    It wasn't Christian terrorism because Anders did not kill who he killed in the name of God. Not that I am defending his actions, but what he did was in retaliation to the countless terrorist and violent acts committed in the name of Islam (For instance, according to Oslo police, 100% of violent rape between people who did not know each other is committed by Muslim immigrants and 9/10 victims are native Norwegians). He actually claimed self-defence in court because "he was protecting his nation from Islam". By the way, all the people killed were either Muslims or leftist supporters of Muslim immigration.

    If Anders killed all those people in the name of Christianity, it would have been Christian terrorism.

    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyC
    It's kind of frustrating, because nobody here was doing that, but it's as if people were combing what they said in an effort to see if they even implied it, because they were too nervous that speaking bluntly was being prejudiced. A number of people here just want to point out that Muslim extremists are a valid threat regardless of the fact that not all terrorists are Muslim extremists. (And by extension, Bachmann echoes a fear that people genuinely have, even if she did so in a sloppy and politically suspect way.) At some point policing people's sentiments to make sure they aren't McCarthy-esque gets ridiculous. Do we have to list all the religions that were involved in wars every time we mention Muslim extremism?
    Exactly. I am well aware that not all Muslims are terrorist. I would be unfathomably stupid if I did believe that. My point was that Islamic terrorism (and radical Islam as a whole) is a very real threat. By calling it Islamophobia people are suggesting that this fear is completely ridiculous. Why don't you try telling someone who survived 9/11 that their fear of radical Islam in unfounded? That would be like telling a Jew who survived the holocaust that they have no reason to fear Nazism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul
    Of course not because from what I believe, religion should NEVER be a valid excuse to create all this hate and destruction. It's wrong.
    How right you are. The whole reason I'm an Atheist is because I study history and intently watch the news. After reading about all the blood spilt in the name of religion I couldn't possibly have anything to do with it (not that I am against people who are religious). I know some people are able to put that stuff behind them and accept religion for its peaceful qualities. I however, am incapable of forgiving something as terrible as the deaths, often brutal, of countless lives. I can understand where this lust for blood comes from.

    If you look at the foundation of the worlds two most popular religions (Christianity and Islam) it isn't hard to see why they are the root of the vast majority of war and violence in Earth's past (since their creation). The very backbone of those religions is that there is one God. Hypothetically, there would be no space for another religion. While some people are moderate enough to ignore this, others take this seriously. Therefore they feel the need to exterminate those who will not accept their "one true God".

    On the topic of the Crusades, they were not a religious conquest. The Crusades had the goal of capturing the "Holy Land", not exterminating other religions/spreading theirs (although that was a bi-product. However, in the past their have been two Jihads - Jihad being holy war in the name of Islam. The first Jihads goal was to spread Islam - and eliminate other religions - beyond the reaches of Saudi Arabia and into other parts of Arabia. The second Jihad spread Islam into Africa, east Asia, and parts of Europe. A fair few scholars think what is happening now is the third Jihad - since radical Muslim Imams say it is. So the Crusades are not really comparable with violence with the sole purpose of spreading Islam.
    FC: 1463 5647 1777


    Come check out my Trade Shop!!!

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,245

    Default

    Getting back on topic, found this funny article. You know what inspired Backmann for these accusations? Ask Frank Gaffney who plans to discredit Grover Norquist with Muslim Brotherhood accusations.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...p_ref=politics

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Since we are talking about wars, (or, were.), one thing to keep in mind, about wars, and the such involving religion, remember, no matter the excuse, those people did do terrible things. Just because people, even a large group of people, do an act of injustice, for their own beliefs, does not actually reflect the belief said, everyone who believes in it, or the like. Any religion can get a radical in there, and screw things up for others who dont believe the same thing. Before judging a belief, dont judge it on the people, (If I did, I would not be a Christian)(Also, DOES not mean all the people are doing bad things, just humans look at the bad people first, before seeing that they could be a minority.) and dont judge it on emotions(eg. I believe in God because church felt good!, I dont believe because things suck now!). We should all agree, even though we understand why someone believes what they believe, that beliefs should be based on logic, and not, emotions.

    Just felt like putting that bit of information on this. You all seem like good people, just trying to contribute why someone should believe in something, if someone found t hepful, or saw flaws in this statement, pleas, tell me!
    Sorry about my username to fellow Christians, made it when I was too young to know what it meant, and I really dont feel like making a new account.

    I believe in God. I have faith in Him. No, I am not an intolerant, logic-less, religious, freak. I believe in evidence, history, and logic. I respect others for their beliefs, even though neither of us think the other is right.

    LOLOLOLO christian cant prove god, dumb logic less weirdo
    Please, at least attempt to show your evidence for your conclusion, instead of, like the above, showing your conclusion without evidence.
    LOLOLOL atheist that believes in evolution cant prove it without a doubt is real
    That'll be my dumbdowned, evidence less, response, that used the first statements logic.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Moth View Post
    To those that hate without a reasonable justification will be stricken down by the karma in which the energy being produced by such negative emotions and thoughts create.
    Islam is used as a pretext for the oppression (and often murder) of millions of women in the home, and as a further source of oppression for people of all races and genders in countries run by Islamic fascists. I call that a reasonable justification.

    Islamaphobia, is a simple term used to justify and legalize religious hate and discrimination in which would other wise be considered illegal by american law.
    Thus those acting within such words are legally exempt from such laws.. Go figure the rest out...
    No it isn't. It's a term used by the moronic white guilt lobby and muslims to prevent criticism of their religion.

    Also, Islamaphobia in which the word would suggest, is a person being scared of an Islamic
    No it isn't.

    [QUOTE=BurningWhiteKyurem;14909044]I'm not going to embrace Islamophobia just because you tell me to. Why would I hate a religion that has done absolutely nothing to harm me or my well-being? The fact that you're spewing this garbage only serves to show how close-minded you really are.

    Using that logic you shouldn't hate terrorism. As far as I know it's done nothing to harm you or your well-being. What an incredibly selfish view of the world. If a religion having a violent paedophile as their prophet doesn't worry you, well then great. Yet don't tell me that my dislike of said religion is close minded.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    Yeah. Radicalism happens with any other religion. A recent example of Christian terrorism was what happened in Norway last year.
    Silver Soul in white guilt shocker. Breivik is completely incomparable in terms of religious motivation compared to Islamic terrorism.

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    Islam is used as a pretext for the oppression (and often murder) of millions of women in the home, and as a further source of oppression for people of all races and genders in countries run by Islamic fascists. I call that a reasonable justification.
    Wow, a religion that has negative aspects that all other religions already have. Tell me something I don't know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    Using that logic you shouldn't hate terrorism. As far as I know it's done nothing to harm you or your well-being. What an incredibly selfish view of the world. If a religion having a violent paedophile as their prophet doesn't worry you, well then great. Yet don't tell me that my dislike of said religion is close minded.
    Then don't tell me that I should hate a certain religion just because YOU happen to hate it. Using that logic would be a quick entry to discrimination and a cycle of hate and violence...what a hateful view of the world.

    And FYI, I'm not surprised that because of your inability to recognize hatred, that you claim Islamophobia is incorrectly defined, because it's defined as such: "Islamophobia refers to an irrational fear and hatred of Muslims as an identifiable group." So you don't make sense when you say it doesn't mean that.

    And if that's not enough, the Runnymede Trust report gives you not 1, but 8 'closed' views on Islamophobia.

    1. "Islam is seen as a monolithic bloc, static and unresponsive to change."

    Islam is in fact highly diverse, and has changed its shape many times during its 1,400-year history. There is no reason to believe that Islam is any less likely to change in the future than Christianity, Buddhism, or any other global faith.

    2. "It is seen as separate and 'other.' It does not have values in common with other cultures, is not affected by them and does not influence them."

    Islam bears strong similarities to Christianity and Judaism, and differs regionally depending on cultural considerations.

    3. "It is seen as inferior to the West. It is seen as barbaric, irrational, primitive, and sexist."

    The point about sexism, in particular, is often used to silence the voices of Muslim women, who by their religious identity are considered unworthy advocates for their own rights and interests. This perspective, in turn, enables sexism.

    4. "It is seen as violent, aggressive, threatening, supportive of terrorism, and engaged in a clash of civilizations."

    The anthropomorphization of Islam, where an entire religion with over one billion adherents is reduced to a single entity with a single set of cartoonishly villainous objectives, enables wholesale discrimination against the many on the basis of the behavior of a few.

    5. "It is seen as a political ideology, used for political or military advantage."

    All religions, and many secular ideologies, have been exploited for political purposes at some time or another; Islam is not unique in this respect.

    6. "Criticisms made of 'the West' by Muslims are rejected out of hand."

    The demonization of Muslims allows industrialized Western nations to ignore many of their own human rights violations.

    7. "Hostility towards Islam is used to justify discriminatory practices towards Muslims and exclusion of Muslims from mainstream society."

    This is the element of Islamophobia that often becomes most relevant from a civil liberties perspective. In recent years, conservative politicians have worked to prevent the construction of mosques in Tennessee and New York City (in blatant violation of the free exercise clause), supported ethnic and religious profiling of Arabs and Muslims, and instituted McCarthy-style hearings to root out purported Muslim and pro-Muslim individuals.

    8. "Anti-Muslim hostility is seen as natural and normal."

    This enables the secondary function of Islamophobia, which is to marginalize non-Islamophobic non-Muslims from the cultural mainstream.

    Some critics of Islam draw a distinction between anti-Islam sentiment and anti-Muslim sentiment, in much the same way that some anti-gay writers take a "hate the sin, love the sinner" approach towards homosexuality. Regardless of the intentions of Islamophobes, however, the outcomes in both cases are fairly consistent (and similar to the outcomes of homophobia): bullying in schools, hate crimes in the streets, and discriminatory policies instituted by elected officials.

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    Wow, a religion that has negative aspects that all other religions already have. Tell me something I don't know.
    You're right, all religions have/had negative aspects. However, you don't see women being oppressed now-a-days because they Bible said they cannot have authority over man. Many Judeo-Christian countries (such as Brazil and Germany) Have female leaders - so obviously people are excluding the negative aspects of Christianity. However, some (not all) Muslims are embracing the negative aspect of their religion - especially pertaining to the execution of homosexuals and the oppression of woman. I don't know if you are a man or a woman, however if you are a woman I suggest you spend some time in Afghanistan or Iraq and then try and tell me that a fear of radical Islam is irrational.

    Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem
    Then don't tell me that I should hate a certain religion just because YOU happen to hate it. Using that logic would be a quick entry to discrimination and a cycle of hate and violence...what a hateful view of the world..
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Snorunt conservationist was not telling you the you have to have the same feelings of Islam as he/she does. They were simply justifying a fear/dislike of Islam because you so ignorantly said such fear was unfounded. You have the right to not have a problem with radical Islam. That does not give you the right to mock those that do. Many people, such as the acid burn victims I linked an article to in an earlier post, or the survivors of Islamic terrorist attacks, have very valid reasons to fear/hate Islam.
    FC: 1463 5647 1777


    Come check out my Trade Shop!!!

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    You're right, all religions have/had negative aspects. However, you don't see women being oppressed now-a-days because they Bible said they cannot have authority over man. Many Judeo-Christian countries (such as Brazil and Germany) Have female leaders - so obviously people are excluding the negative aspects of Christianity. However, some (not all) Muslims are embracing the negative aspect of their religion - especially pertaining to the execution of homosexuals and the oppression of woman. I don't know if you are a man or a woman, however if you are a woman I suggest you spend some time in Afghanistan or Iraq and then try and tell me that a fear of radical Islam is irrational.
    Then he should've said radical Islam instead of labelling an entire religion as based on radical acts (there IS a difference of philosophy between mainstream Islam and radical Islam). I also don't condone of radical Islam, but I know full well what women have to go through.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Snorunt conservationist was not telling you the you have to have the same feelings of Islam as he/she does. They were simply justifying a fear/dislike of Islam because you so ignorantly said such fear was unfounded. You have the right to not have a problem with radical Islam. That does not give you the right to mock those that do. Many people, such as the acid burn victims I linked an article to in an earlier post, or the survivors of Islamic terrorist attacks, have very valid reasons to fear/hate Islam.
    He made it quite clear in my response to his particular quote, in which he said this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    I am a proud Islamaphobe. Islamophobia is nothing more than an attempt by moralistic hand wringers and muslims with vested interests to prevent criticism of their religion.

    Embrace Islamaphobia. Embrace hating a religion which orders apostates to be put to death. Avoid muslimophobia and you're all good.
    My point is if he spewing stuff like this, then all you're doing is repeating the cycle of hatred in which it fuels discriminatory acts, racism and bigotry. Consequently leading to more violence.

    That's like saying, we should fear minorities because they're predisposed to criminal activities.
    Last edited by BurningWhiteKyurem; 2nd August 2012 at 10:11 PM.

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    You're right, all religions have/had negative aspects. However, you don't see women being oppressed now-a-days because they Bible said they cannot have authority over man. Many Judeo-Christian countries (such as Brazil and Germany) Have female leaders - so obviously people are excluding the negative aspects of Christianity.
    Pakistan, a very Islamic country, had a female leader.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Cool Cool River
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    Wow, a religion that has negative aspects that all other religions already have. Tell me something I don't know.
    It's lucky I dislike all religions then isn't it? This is in amazingly morally vacuous arguments. You accuse me of having no reasonable justification for disliking Islam, then when I present said justifications, you pass them off as irrelevant. I'm glad Islamic fascism and rampant misogyny are such minor issues for you.

    Then don't tell me that I should hate a certain religion just because YOU happen to hate it. Using that logic would be a quick entry to discrimination and a cycle of hate and violence...what a hateful view of the world.
    Have I told you to do this? What I did was to question your defence of a violent paedophile who set himself up as a moral arbiter and beacon.

    My view of the world is hardly hateful.

    And FYI, I'm not surprised that because of your inability to recognize hatred, that you claim Islamophobia is incorrectly defined, because it's defined as such: "Islamophobia refers to an irrational fear and hatred of Muslims as an identifiable group." So you don't make sense when you say it doesn't mean that.
    I can't bothered to explain this point if you're unable to understand it.

    And if that's not enough, the Runnymede Trust report gives you not 1, but 8 'closed' views on Islamophobia.
    Oh wow, a boring politically correct think-tank is "telling" me (I thought you were against such things) about why I shouldn't hate a violent set of beliefs steeped in misogyny and established by a violent paedophile. Pass. When I can be bothered I'll discuss those "arguments" and post my responses either in this thread or via VM.

    Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    Then he should've said radical Islam instead of labelling an entire religion as based on radical acts (there IS a difference of philosophy between mainstream Islam and radical Islam). I also don't condone of radical Islam, but I know full well what women have to go through.
    There is no such thing as radical or moderate Islam (or any religion). There are only moderate or radical muslims. Islamic texts such as the Hadith openly advocate (perhaps even demand) the murder of apostates. This is a mainstream Islamic text and the word of Muhammed. It is not moderate.

    The Bible says children should be stoned. The god of the Old testament is often violent. Hinduism is built upon a vastly prejudiced caste system. The Catholic church believes AIDS is worse than contraception. This is what they state (and before anyone points out I'm being biased in highlighting negative examples and not the various peace and love passages, the negative examples are important to my point in that many will choose not to follow them/ will find them morally questionable). They are not moderate or radical in the most base sense in that they are what they are. A set of beliefs (take out what the beliefs say) unless stated otherwise, are a set of absolutes. What people choose to interpret or follow defines their approach to the religion, not the religion itself.

    My point is if he spewing stuff like this, then all you're doing is repeating the cycle of hatred in which it fuels discriminatory acts, racism and bigotry. Consequently leading to more violence.
    I'll respect you more if you just apologise for being wrong.

    That's like saying, we should fear minorities because they're predisposed to criminal activities.
    Ah the race card has been played. How very droll. Losing an argument? Imply your opponent is similar to/is a racist.

    So, BurningWhiteKyurem, I'll ask you again. Has terrorism done something directly to harm you? Has rape? Has racism? Has a stab wound? If not, why do you dislike these things?

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Pakistan, a very Islamic country, had a female leader.
    Who was subsequently assassinated.
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 3rd August 2012 at 2:17 AM.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •