Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is 4th gen under appreciated?

Default Is 4th gen under appreciated?

Seems to me that 4th gen may be a tad under appreciated. When you talk about Pokemon generations I hear lots of talk about how people don't like the region, or the pokemon or what have you. I used to think it was Gen III, but the difference I've noticed is that gen III just isn't as well known as others, whereas gen IV is quite well known yet it gets a lot of flack.

I really like gen IV, yet I hear lots of negative things about it compared to other gens, what's your take?

It all comes down to personal preference. HG/SS are my favorite Pokemon games by far and they are fourth gen. I think platinum is a great game as well. Are P/D/P my favorite games? No but I think they are fun and great games. Gen III was another great generation and I hope we see remakes of them. I personally find that gen 5 is my least favorite. No matter how much I try to play B/W, I just find it dull and forgettable. Again this is my personal opinion. So it's all about preference. It seems the trend is that people find the newest generation as the "best" one yet, but that is not he case with me. Gen 4 rocks

Hmmm.. I would disagree that generation 4 is under appreciated. If I recall correctly, UU at that time was extremely popular. However I could understand it receiving flak due to it being and upgrade generation. (Many new / pre evolutions).

I enjoyed soulsilver greatly. I thought it was excellent. Apart from the battle animations, you really could guess that black and white came before HGSS. I was dissapointed with BW somewhat.
    I have claimed Alduin, the mighty dragon! He shall one day return to bring forth the end of time, and fulfill the prophecy of the world eater.

I really liked Generation IV. It's my second favorite Generation, but I see why people would think it is under-appreciated. It's still relatively new. I've noticed that people always seem to hate on the newer generations. I've seen many people say "Generation I & II were the best! Generation III is OK. Generation IV & V suck.". People would say how the Pokémon from Generation IV & V aren't as great as the ones from I-III as well. Ironically, IV & V are my favorite generations.

Generation IV just ended about a year or two ago, so it's in a pretty awkward stage right now, which I'm sure Generation III was in. I do agree that IV seems pretty under-appreciated by a lot of people, which is a shame because it brought s ton of great games.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

I think it's the shift in 2D to 3D. also, every pokemon generation is different, with a different feel, but for me it's always great, maybe for others it isn't so great.
    i love everything until Generation V, i only love some things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrja View Post
    I think it's the shift in 2D to 3D. also, every pokemon generation is different, with a different feel, but for me it's always great, maybe for others it isn't so great.
    i love everything until Generation V, i only love some things about them.
    Eeyup, this. Maybe because Gen IV was a stepping stone for some people so they didn't quite like it.

Credit to Riataro from EGC

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

I think Gen 3 was the most under-appreciated.
    I think that gen 4 games are great! I don't know why people would say that gen 4 is underappreciated
    This "Pokemon Rainbow" rumored game is already killing me. I want it!

Also, general nintendo fans will probably like my youtube. I make unboxings and collection videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/EnragedSwalot?feature=mhee
    Thanks if you check it out

Gen IV is my favorite. I think it is looked down upon, because of the new pokemon. Very few were original, most being (pr)evos of past pokemon. It had great games with great stories though, so I don't see why not many people like it.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Currently Looking For:
    any meowth/persian

Actually, 4th gen was probably my favorite. I'm thinking soon of going back to playing Pokemon Platinum until Black2/White2 come out, then I'm going to play Black 2 or White 2. ...Then about months later, I'm probably going back to Platinum. Between Platinum and Heart Gold/Soul Silver, I don't know which was my favorite. ...Maybe Emerald, too. ...Nah, between Platinum and Emerald. Black/White was kind of disappointing to me. I would have liked to have done more things in Black/White than just battle Pokemon or Trainers. Black 2/White 2 doesn't look like it's going to fix that problem very much.

I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

I would say that the third gen was the most under appreciated, despite it being one of the greatest.

The 4th Gen is one of my more favorite generations. I don't feel it is underrated in the slightest.

HG/SS were great games and Platinum is okay but D/P...not so much IMO. The D/P/Pt side of 4th Gen is what I dont like. And B/W wasnt so hot either. I barely play it....

Gens 1-3 were the best IMO.
    The Graceful Assassin

Credit to FairyWitch

I don't think 4th Gen is under appreciated at all. I'm pretty sure a lot of people enjoyed D/P/Pt, and the G/S/C remakes are good for a lot of nostalgic fans.

I personally loved gen 4 but gen 1 is definitely my favorite.
    Pokemon Black 4814-3504-9865

I think it is somewhat unappreciated. It seems like many players enjoyed HG/SS but did not enjoy D/P/P to the same extent, making half of the games from the generation unappreciated. But if it is only about the games that were completely new for the generation (D/P/P) and not the remakes (HG/SS), then I'd say the generation is definitely unappreciated.

D/P/Plat sell is quite big. I don't really think 4th Gen is under appreciated. There are many new aspects of the game introduced, unlike w/ gen 5.
    It is probably my favourite gen so far (I dislike HG/SS though).

X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

I'm not a fan who is hard to impress. I love all the generations, but I do understand what you mean. After gen lll, people started saying Pokemon is getting stupid, I disagree with that. Just because the designs are different doesn't mean it's stupid. But, I thought gen lll was unappreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Leo View Post
    HG/SS were great games and Platinum is okay but D/P...not so much IMO. The D/P/Pt side of 4th Gen is what I dont like. And B/W wasnt so hot either. I barely play it....

Gens 1-3 were the best IMO.
    Honestly, I think the problem with Black/White was that there was very little lasting appeal compared to past games. I mean, people SWEAR the lasting appeal compares to D/P, but I don't think it even compared to R/B. I mean, B/W had really cool Pokemon, amazing graphics, and a deeper story. But there was nothing to look forward to. Just more of the same the entire game. They spent too much time on battling and exploring, and not enough on other things. They have one diversion outside of battling, and it's complete fail. Unless you count all the stuff you can do ONLY if you have online on your DS, which not everyone has. Honestly, I think it was the things to do outside of Battling that made Platinum/HG/SS/Emerald so fun. Like if you wanted to take a break from battling, you could do all sorts of things. And I thought digging up fossils, playing the super contests, making poffins, attending the Pokeathelon, making secret bases, as well as other things was fun. Black/White didn't have any of that, and the sad thing is that Black2/White2 isn't going to have much either, despite people saying the second games generally have a lot more stuff. Again, Black2/White2 seems too focused on battling and exploring, and not focused enough on the lasting appeal. I mean, the Pokemon World Tournament sounds fun, I guess, but I'm more interested in the mono-type challenges more than anything else. Pokewood/Pokestar doesn't sound much better than Pokemon Musical, which... I cannot believe Game Freak thought the Pokemon Musical was a good idea. Collecting Medals is basically the only thing to do besides battling, and I'm not sure that is even going to count. (Pokewood/Pokestar is still mostly battling.) I mean, yes I get it, Battling is the point of the game. But like I said, it was the things you could do outside of battling that gave Pokemon its lasting appeal.

Honestly, at first Black/White just wasn't my favorite Pokemon game. But honestly, the unruly fans for the game make me dislike it, almost hate the game(If it wasn't for the cool monsters). Too many fans I know for Black and White come up with endless excuses as to why the lack of lasting appeal is absolutely justified, and act like their opinions are facts and that you aren't entitled to your opinion. Bronies and Mario Fans are more understanding than them, really.

I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

I wouldn't say that 4th Gen. was under-appreciated at all. Until B/W came out, HG/SS was agreed upon by many to be the best pair of games in the series. Besides that, Platinum was quite popular in its own right - Diamond and Pearl were great, but they were kind of a shadow of what they could have been, which is what the other three delivered.

Honestly, of the last three generations (the ones that are safest from nostalgia-filter for most people), they tend to be more popular the more recent they are. 4th is still more popular than 3rd, and that's something, at least.

@MugoUrth: I respectfully disagree. Black/White has the best training spots out of any game, so I still use it frequently to train up 'mon from previous teams to level 100. Besides that, there's the various Battle Subways (which are much more attainable for non-competitive players like me than the Battle Towers were). Now, the Musical is kind of a dead-end, but other than that, there's still a lot of mileage to get out of 'dex-filling and the usual training things up - moreso than previous games in the second case, so it's still solid for those of us who didn't care for contests. Besides that, B2/W2 is looking to add a bunch of other lasting value in the Medal challenges, World Tourney, filmmaking, and all manner of other end-game battle options, and that's before you get into the avenues opened up by a net connection. Everything that the previous games had to hold long-term interest has an analogue in B2/W2, and these games have more. I wager that we'll be entertained for quite some time.

Black/White and Black2/White2 are definitely the perfect choice for those who ONLY play Pokemon for battling, that's for sure. But as a person who plays Pokemon for battling and everything else, I was kind of disappointed. I might be less so if there was a way to get online on my DS, but I've never been able to do it, even in a Wi-Fi hotspot. The World Tournament does have it's quirks, and being able to do things in Triple And Rotation battles as well as the other types has my interest. I'll probably get Black 2/White 2 anyway.

Well, HGSS are absolutely brilliant. They have amazing music (Route 47 people!) and they have a lot of stuff to do aftergame. B/W1 were bland aftergame because there wasn't as much to enjoy. Sure, the ending was cool, but the rest wasn't too good later on.
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

I personally love the IV generation pokemon and games. It is my favorite generation. For me, my favorites are 1) Gen IV 2) V 3) III 4) I 5) II in that order. And despite hardly playing Gen V at all, I find it to be one of my favorites after IV. But I do agree that IV is quite underappreciated, but I think V is more put down over all. But that's my opinion.
    3DS Friend Code: 2750-1183-1943

Yes, most people seem to hate the Pokemon designs from the region, and it seems to get the most hate..

I don't really know why... I thought it was a great game. xD

It's just like any generation. It has its ups and downs. I like the physical and special split, but don't really like the region. I don't like the pokedex in DP, but I love the additions in Pt.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

Looking for more secret bases! Message me your QR code, and I'll send you back mine.

Looking for that extremespeed linoone with adamant or jolly (when it comes out). If you're gonna get one, I'd appreciate it. I can clone it if needed.
    I'm willing to sell my soul for it

I didn't mind Gen VI as a whole but Sinnoh just felt sort of... bland and cold to me. Maybe it's just me but HG/SS just felt like they had a kind of warmth and charm that D/P/Pt were missing.
    Nevertheless I did enjoy D/P/Pt a lot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast