Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is 4th gen under appreciated?

I enjoyed Diamond but it seems kind of bland and repetitive - SoulSilver on the other hand seems to have much more of a 'charm' to it, plus I like the fact that you don't have to fight the gym leaders in order.
    Currently Residing in the orange islands.

Fire is the key to life.

I liked Platinum WAY MORE than I liked HG/SS.

Meh. We got dis. Powerful vines and all. We whip 'em. With our vines. Powah Whip. :3
    In honor of AlexandriaTheMixed and Project Retribution
    Oh, the shame...

I don't think 4th Generation is under appreciated. It's because we are now in 5th Generation, so that's everyone's main focus. I'm sure people go back and play the older games, myself included.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:
    Anime List

I think it IS under appreciated. But Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 release is getting everyones main focus, so D/P/Pt is kinda far behind.

I guess it's kinda underappreciated, but it's my second favorite region, after Hoenn.
    I grew up with Diamond, and most pokemon in there are in my top 10.

i can see how generation 4 is under appreciated. but it was worst with generation 3, hoenn is smallest region, plus it just wasn't as exciting as kanto! but it was one of the greatest, hands down. generation 4 is my favorite generation, the 3'rd generation is my second thought.
    this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the tail, and ending with a grin.
    - Lewis Carrol's Alice Adventures In Wonderland(the Cheshire Cat)

click my Pokemon/eggs please! http://new.gpxplus.net/user/Furret-Luver-Girl

(\\_/)
    (*u*) This is Bunny.
    (>< ) help him achieve world domination copy him to ur signature~

Hoenn was more under appreciated, and Black/White versions were hollow after you finish them (at least to me) HG/SS are very awesome (probably I think it because with I grew with G/S/C and Red/Blue/yellow) So I must say I loved that you can rematch the gym leaders, also in platinum version though I felt it a little slower than HG, So I stick with HG rather than my Black version, besides on 4th gen you get amazing pokemons such as electrivire, garchomp, spiritomb, LUCARIO, Luxray, Staraptor, Toxicroak
    HeartGold FC: 3998 2251 4577
    Trainer Name: Daniel
    I play mostly 4th gen.

"I shall show you true terror as a ninja master! Poison brings steady doom. Sleep renders foes helpless. Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!"
    Koga, "The Poisonous Ninja Master"
    Shinys:

I don't trade my shinies not even for event pokemons.
    Worst Moment: Gold Version- A wild Graveler has appeared! (shiny). Graveler used SelfDestruct!

Im back to school so It may take a while to do trades

Talking 4th gen was AMAZING

To be honest, 4th gen was my favorite (smack next to 2nd), Pokemon Pearl was my first game soon before I got a used Emerald.
    People say that 3rd gen was the best but I couldn't disagree more, 4gen was great and I LOVED the Gold and Silver remakes, amongst my friends, 4 gen isn't under appreciated because I was born in 1998 and me (and my friends) all got Pokemon in 2007.

My Diamond Friendcode is 1593 1348 6786

Help Fluffy out, may you please click up there?

I would agree that Gen IV has been shoved under the bus a bit. While Gen V introduced a lot of cool things, a lot of those are a bi-product of Gen IV. Maybe it's just me but I wasn't too fond of BW story line, pokemon and the region itself. It just seemed to bland and dry. However with Gen IV I felt like we got a lot of variety. However Gen IV also had HGSS remakes to add to that were as I have yet to play BW2 as I didn't import this time around and we have yet to get a Hoenn remake to possibly add to Gen V to flush it out.
    Chive on!
    I'm sick of always hearing
    All the
    sad songs on the radio
    All day it is there to remind
    An over sensitive guy
    That he's
    lost and alone

I thought Diamond and Pearl were great additions to the series. HeartGold and SoulSilver were excellent remakes. But that's my opinion, I'm not sure of the general opinion on Gen IV.

Platinum was my favourite Pokémon game... until Black 2 and White 2 came out.
    These took Platinum's place as the greatest in my eyes.

Black 2 and White 2 essentially fixed all that was wrong with Black/White, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MugoUrth View Post
    Honestly, I think the problem with Black/White was that there was very little lasting appeal compared to past games. I mean, people SWEAR the lasting appeal compares to D/P, but I don't think it even compared to R/B. I mean, B/W had really cool Pokemon, amazing graphics, and a deeper story. But there was nothing to look forward to. Just more of the same the entire game. They spent too much time on battling and exploring, and not enough on other things. They have one diversion outside of battling, and it's complete fail. Unless you count all the stuff you can do ONLY if you have online on your DS, which not everyone has. Honestly, I think it was the things to do outside of Battling that made Platinum/HG/SS/Emerald so fun. Like if you wanted to take a break from battling, you could do all sorts of things. And I thought digging up fossils, playing the super contests, making poffins, attending the Pokeathelon, making secret bases, as well as other things was fun. Black/White didn't have any of that, and the sad thing is that Black2/White2 isn't going to have much either, despite people saying the second games generally have a lot more stuff. Again, Black2/White2 seems too focused on battling and exploring, and not focused enough on the lasting appeal. I mean, the Pokemon World Tournament sounds fun, I guess, but I'm more interested in the mono-type challenges more than anything else. Pokewood/Pokestar doesn't sound much better than Pokemon Musical, which... I cannot believe Game Freak thought the Pokemon Musical was a good idea. Collecting Medals is basically the only thing to do besides battling, and I'm not sure that is even going to count. (Pokewood/Pokestar is still mostly battling.) I mean, yes I get it, Battling is the point of the game. But like I said, it was the things you could do outside of battling that gave Pokemon its lasting appeal.

Honestly, at first Black/White just wasn't my favorite Pokemon game. But honestly, the unruly fans for the game make me dislike it, almost hate the game(If it wasn't for the cool monsters). Too many fans I know for Black and White come up with endless excuses as to why the lack of lasting appeal is absolutely justified, and act like their opinions are facts and that you aren't entitled to your opinion. Bronies and Mario Fans are more understanding than them, really.
    Did you seriously just say it didn't stand up to R/B in lasting appeal? My lord. The list is simple. CATCH EM ALL. Black and White just seems boring because musicals give you nothing special and there isn't 1294832934 billion unique battle "Generic place"'s to entertain you with low attention spans. Don't hate the game because of the players, when they don't even matter

Overall I found gen 4 lacking myself. HG/SS Was fun, but..I could have done without D/P. Platinum played much more smoothly and I truthfully had a hard time going through Pearl due to the slowwwwww storyyyyyyy...a...a....a...a. Qwaa

Gen 4> All other generations IMO

Diamond was my first ever game after I restarted Pokemon. It proved to be a fun game.
    Platinum was my second game after restarting. Platinum brought so many new factors into account: New Pokemon Pre-Nat Dex, Battle Frontier, Old and Returning Pokemon, Top Trainer Cafe etc
    Heart Gold was my third game. It was great man! My favourite part was Lanturn, and I restarted after Feraligatar as my starter. Just went on and got Lanturn. Honestly, I like Pt and HG equally

So when Black came out, I wasn't to pleased about the "no-nostalgic-pokemon-in-the-dex", and I didn't even bother trying it.
    My brother told me 2 months ago, that BW2 is coming out in Japan. So I decided to get back again and try it.

I'm currently holding Black 2 on my hands lol

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

I don't feel that Generation 4 was under appreciated. I think it was a great Generation for the new fans of that time. I still play Platinum and Heart Gold.

All credits for BT's Army Against Arrogance Banner goes to Brutaka.
    All Credits to Black Terminator's Region Express banner goes to Sworn Metalhead

I do like a lot of the things Gen IV brought to the game e.g. the Physical/Special split, a few of the new Pokemon, and the idea of a snowy route/town. It really is a great game, and it's a shame a lot of people rag on it. I do like other gens more, but I do like Gen IV. It has its appeal to me, and I take what I can get :3

Definately so. Is was mostly because of most of the in game pokemon. Half of them suck IMO :/

Quote Originally Posted by Furret-Luver View Post
    i can see how generation 4 is under appreciated. but it was worst with generation 3, hoenn is smallest region, plus it just wasn't as exciting as kanto!
    Actually Hoenn is probably the biggest region there is when it comes to the mainstream games. You didn't count the water routes there. And you may think it wasn't as exciting as Kanto, but I thought it was a really interesting region. Sure, the surfing was long and tedious at times, but it gave it the illusion of a really big region, and it was fun getting lost on the way to the island cities.

Anyhoo...

I think the third generation is more under-appreciated due to it having lower sales when it first came out due to the craze dying down, though it has gained in popularity over the years. Generation IV probably went through the same phase until HeartGold/SoulSilver was announced. I never touched any of the Sinnoh games until recently, so I can see the under-appreciation, but that was mainly because I didn't have a DS at the time, and I was a bit iffy with the newer Pokémon for a little bit. They eventually grew on me, so I wanted to learn more about the Sinnoh Pokémon, I just didn't have the access like most other people probably did.

I could be wrong, but the DS came out around the same time Diamond and Pearl was being released, right? *looks* Oh, it had a couple of years, though I wonder if it was created with Diamond and Pearl in mind. But anyway, I don't think sales for the DS peaked until after Diamond/Pearl came out, maybe, so I'm gonna have to guess the four-year gap between Generation III and IV was part of the cause. Who really knows, but it's been gaining more and more positive feedback in later years, at least when it comes to Platinum. I've heard mixed feelings with Black and White, but when it came to Diamond and Pearl, people have been pretty happy with it, and I can see why.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 6th September 2012 at 8:06 PM.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Actually Hoenn is probably the biggest region there is when it comes to the mainstream games. You didn't count the water routes there. And you may think it wasn't as exciting as Kanto, but I thought it was a really interesting region. Sure, the surfing was long and tedious at times, but it gave it the illusion of a really big region, and it was fun getting lost on the way to the island cities.
    Aren't you kinda... admitting that Hoenn wasn't big by saying it was only an illusion?

Fourth Gen and Third Gen are both very unappreciated, but in reality, they are some of the finest games Pokemon has to offer! Hoenn and Sinnoh were both fun to explore and I loved the designs of the Pokemon! Gen V is awesome, but a little ovverated IMO. Gen 4 and Gen 3 deserve much more credit!
    All the other kids with the pumped up kicks you better run, better run...

If you want to see my Event Pokemon, PM me

If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Unfortunately, it is. To be honest, I actually dropped Pokemon when D/P/Pt were released. I only popped back in during the HGSS remake because /remakes of my first games/.
    I say a likely case is because Pokemon might have been getting boring for a lot of people. The new features in B/W, from what I noticed, grabbed a lot of people's attention and that's how they returned.
    So I think it's just the content and features, not the generation itself?
    "I want you to make me a stepping stone so everyone can shine…!"

Ice Friend Safari - Snover / Bergmite / Cloyster
    Current and temporary Friend Safari is Grass - Tangela / Swadloon / Maractus

no
    it's just older .-.

I don't think it is. I love 4th gen, especially SoulSilver & HeartGold.

Come visit us!
    Special thanks to Shiny_Wooper for the awesome Ditto trophy.

I cant say that Gen IV is my favourite, but I still do think there are some people that are too critical of it...

Spoiler:- Friend Code(s)/Trade Shop/Credit:

Hasn't this always been the case that the previous generation seemed under appreciated? (Except for Gen 1&2)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast