Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #83

Quote Originally Posted by GirlKirbyZombie View Post
    Sorry to post again, but I want to give evolite Drowzee a mention.
    You can simply edit your posts

Counters: In LC Scraggy with some bulk invested can take a Drain Punch and strike back at Drowzee with Crunch.

EDIT: isn't Scraggy banned from LC?
    Last edited by Dragalge; 29th July 2012 at 9:53 PM.

Hypno. He has a bit of a weird appearance and at a glance looks pretty forgetable. But Hypno does have a pretty good support movepool, with Nasty Plot, Trick Room, Baton Pass, Wish, Thunder Wave and Toxic making him a great team player. It also makes him very easy to counter.

Counters
    Hypno is pretty frail physically so any strong physical attackers will do a lot of damage. Ghost types like Golurk and Spiritomb get a mention for being immune to Seismic Toss and, in Golurk's case, doesn't care for Thunder Wave. Spiritomb also gets a bonus for being able to trap Hypno with Pursuit. Otherwise a strong physical attack like Fraxure's Outrage or Luxray's Wild Charge will put it to bed. Keep up the offensive pressure and don't give Hypno time to do it's job.

Taunt is another big way of shutting down Hypno since that stops it Wishing, laying down status, baton passing and generally being any useful at all. Couple that with Pursuit and you have a surefire way of beating Hypno. Drapion does all that and outspeeds Hypno as well.
    Since Hypno are usually passing on Wish or a Nasty Plot boost, it'll be switching out a lot so entry hazards or damaging status effects like Toxic severely limit hypno's longetivity.

Hypno isn't desperately difficult to counter, thanks to such clear ways to beat it. If you can stop Hypno doing it's thing with Taunt or otherwise cut its time on the field short with hazards or strong physical attacks then you're be able to handle it just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

hypno is a favorite pokemon of mine but i'll admit it could do with something.Personally for a long time i've wanted it to get the pendulum as a held item sadly that hasn't happened. but as the people before me have put it does have some very interesting moves.I won't waste time repeating the sets that have already been posted.However here are also some interesting and odd moves it gets that are worth consideration though fitting them into movesets is diffcult.Grass knot,magic room,signal beam,assist(i know it's a complete luck move but i find it odd that it learns it at all) and role play.

Hypno, a pokemon that is not even worthy of being NU, because it's stats are so mediocre. It has decent special defense, and is able to act like a weaker Blissey/Chansey with the famous Wish/Toxic/Protect/Seismic Toss set, but for the NU tier.

Inner Focus (DW): Prevents flinching, but if you're up against a "Faker Outer," you're screwed anyway. If up against a Paraflicnhing Dunsparce, then it might be worth it.
    Forewarn: A good ability for scouting
    Insomnia: The one worth using, I guess

Double Trouble
    Ability: Your choice
    Item: Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant or Jolly
    EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4HP
    Meditate
    Drain Punch/Zen Headbutt/Psycho Cut
    Thunderpunch
    Ice Punch

Most sets have been covered like the Blissey set, physical sweeper, special sweeper, and a switcheroo set. But how about a mediocre double's physical sweeper?! (I'm all about mediocre sets). The objective is to get your Dream World ability pokemon, Simple Swoobat with a B/W 2 tutor move, Skill Swap, and Swap abilities with Hypno (also Hypno can just use Skill Swap itself). Hypno, can now boost up with Meditate (sadly its only physical booster) and sweep. Drain Punch is for darks as well as recovering HP lost from life orb. Zen Headbutt is for stab physical psychic move (with a chance of flinching), while Psycho Cut has better accuracy, while sacrificing 10 base power and has higher chances of crits. Thunderpunch and Ice Punch allow for good coverage. Keep in mind that you can skill swap Simple ability onto a Nasty Plot set as well.

Look mommy, I'm a Dunsparce!
    Ability: Your Choice
    Item: Leftovers/King's Rock
    Nature: Adamant
    Evs: 144 HP / 252 Attack / 36 Defense / 76 Spec. Defense
    Thunder Wave/Body Slam
    Headbutt
    Zen Headbutt
    Filler Move

Hypno the weak Blissey, now Hypno the less lucky Dunsparce. Hypno should be a Ditto because it's so good at mimicking other pokemon! All jokes aside, Hypno is trying its best to activate special side effects of moves, and it is especially harder without Serene Grace. Thunder Wave for paralysis, while Body Slam is a damaging move that has a 30% chance of paralyzing (better to go with the "for sure" paralysis from T-Wave). Headbutt and B/W 2 tutor Zen Headbutt for flinching, but if the move's flinching ability doesn't activate, then the King's Rock might activate instead. The last move is your choice, and there you go. You have yourself a wannabe Para-flinching Dunsparce.

Gravity has a lulling effect on people
    -gravity
    -hypnosis
    -foul play/psychic
    -protect/recover
    252 hp 252 sp def 4 spd
    Insomnia/inner focus
    Leftovers
    Calm

On gravity teams (yes, some people actually use gravity), hypno works as a decent supporter. Hypnosis gets 100% accuracy under gravity. Protect if you use it in doubles. Use whatever offensive move you like.

None shall oppose our reign!

Check out my fanfic, Pokelypse chronicles. You won't regret it.

http://pokelypse.blogspot.com/

Input is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMechaElgyem View Post
    Gravity has a lulling effect on people
    -gravity
    -hypnosis
    -foul play/psychic
    -protect/recover
    252 hp 252 sp def 4 spd
    Insomnia/inner focus
    Leftovers
    Calm

On gravity teams (yes, some people actually use gravity), hypno works as a decent supporter. Hypnosis gets 100% accuracy under gravity. Protect if you use it in doubles. Use whatever offensive move you like.
    are you sure hypno can use recover? i didn't think it could.

Quote Originally Posted by Luthor View Post
    are you sure hypno can use recover? i didn't think it could.
    Nope, checked and Hypno can't though that would be nice:9

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    Nope, checked and Hypno can't though that would be nice:9
    thats what i thought,and looking back on that moveset it seemed to indicate hyno could also learn gravity when i believe it can't(correct me if i'm wrong).Shame really those are two moves that could benefit it.

I am not sure but is hypno the only pokemon able to learn both disable and trick/switcheroo? seems like an interesting combo.. you trick a choice scarf then make it struggle then toxic/seismic toss it till it dies (or the switch in) anyway it is not that great..

Maybe hypno is one of those pokemons who shouldn't be used competitively..

Never use dream eater sleep clause + shacky hypnosis accuracy + swithing ... yeah.. a bad move
    Last edited by Ilan; 30th July 2012 at 1:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    I am not sure but is hypno the only pokemon able to learn both disable and trick/switcheroo? seems like an interesting combo.. you trick a choice scarf then make it struggle then toxic/seismic toss it till it dies (or the switch in) anyway it is not that great..

Maybe hypno is one of those pokemons who shouldn't be used competitively..

Never use dream eater sleep clause + shacky hypnosis accuracy + swithing ... yeah.. a bad move
    If you maximize its defenses and teach it a healing move (Drain Punch or Rest) then it is a great set to take out a pokemon that just doesn't wanna die. I rarely go into battle without it.

Quote Originally Posted by AOverlord View Post
    If you maximize its defenses and teach it a healing move (Drain Punch or Rest) then it is a great set to take out a pokemon that just doesn't wanna die. I rarely go into battle without it.
    looking at his stats I really don't see why he survives for you that much, there are way bulkier pokemon even in NU.
    Rest is not the best recovery drain punch too (base 73 attack? it isn't gonna hit so hard to heal much).

Most psychic types (if not all) have better special bulk and offenses and some of them movepool too even in NU.
    sure isomnia is nice but is it worth a team slot just for some pokemons who use sleep moves?
    Last edited by Ilan; 30th July 2012 at 7:34 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    EDIT: isn't Scraggy banned from LC?
    Nah Scraggy ain't banned from LC, PO server used to have it banned, but they dont even have that.

Scraggy is a good counter to Drowzee
    ayd22: what's it like to use broken items to make up for lackluster skills
    ayd22: yeah your playing great right not
    ayd22: rethink your strategy
    Togoro: get styled upon
    The Pokemon Showdown Little Cup Ladder

I do nothing anymore. Oops
    PASBL

Quote Originally Posted by KingTorterraXIV View Post
    Nah Scraggy ain't banned from LC, PO server used to have it banned, but they dont even have that.

Scraggy is a good counter to Drowzee
    Ah thanks, wait are you the KingTorterra that was mentioned on the main page?

Annoying Offense
    Stats: Jolly, Max Speed & Attack, rest HP or Defense
    Ability: Insomnia (locked in due to Body Slam)
    Item: Muscle Band/Leftovers
    Moves: Body Slam, Zen Headbutt, Low Sweep, Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Thunderpunch

Strategy: Basically Flinch-hax, but with less guarantee on Paralysis and Flinching. Low Sweep lowers any Paralyzed Opponents' Speed further if they somehow continue to outrun Hypno (or if they have Limber, Guts, or Quick Feet Ability to make Paralysis a welcomed Status Effect). Elemental Punch to cover nasties that wall Normal, Psychic STAB, and Fighting.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Personal Moveset:
    Ability: Insomnia
    Item: Leftovers
    Lax w/ 204 Defense, 100 Attack, 100 Sp Attack, 106 Sp Defense
    Psychic
    Shadow Ball
    Brick Break/Drain Punch/Low Sweep
    Fire Punch/Thunderpunch

Physical-only
    Item: Muscle Band
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 90 Defense, 84 HP, 84 Sp Defense
    Zen Headbutt/Psycho Cut
    Fire Punch
    Brick Break/Drain Punch/Low Sweep
    Thunderpunch

Special-only
    Item: Wise Specs
    Modest w/ 252 Sp Attack, 90 Defense, 84 HP, 84 Sp Defense
    Psychic
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    Signal Beam/HP [Fire]

Other Move ideas:
    Skill Swap if the user's ability isn't Insomnia or similar; in order to use sleep-based attacks.
    Fling & Iron Ball

Partners:
    Shuckle if Guard Swap is used.
    Reflect-users
    Soak-users against Dark-types.
    Magic Guard-users if Role Play or Skill Swap is used

Countering:
    High Attack pokemon with Physical Bug/Dark/Ghost-type moves like Attack Order, Megahorn, X-scissor, Shadow Claw/Punch, Crunch, or Night Slash. Pokemon includes Vespiquen, Rapidash, Bouffulant, Pinsir, Kangaskhan, Haxorus, Leavanny, Gallade, Drapion, Gliscor, Tyranitar, Garchomp, Stoutland, Hydregion, Braviary, and Flygon.
    Insomnia/Vital Spirit/Heal Bell/Aromatherpy-users
    Hail, Sandstorm, Leech Seed, or status moves that does damage each turn in case a pokemon does fall asleep.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

looking at his stats I really don't see why he survives for you that much, there are way bulkier pokemon even in NU.
    Rest is not the best recovery drain punch too (base 73 attack? it isn't gonna hit so hard to heal much).

Most psychic types (if not all) have better special bulk and offenses and some of them movepool too even in NU.
    sure isomnia is nice but is it worth a team slot just for some pokemons who use sleep moves?
    Not using my moveset. Hypno is the only Pokemon to learn Switcheroo and Disable. Have him hold a Choice Scarf and he'll have the enemy disabled by turn 2, and the foe dies from Struggle's recoil. Just maximize Defense and add a fair bit of EVs to HP and Sp. Defense so he lasts long enough. In this case, I would say Rest does work. It's a build where after turn 2 you just have to survive.

Not using my moveset. Hypno is the only Pokemon to learn Switcheroo and Disable. Have him hold a Choice Scarf and he'll have the enemy disabled by turn 2, and the foe dies from Struggle's recoil. Just maximize Defense and add a fair bit of EVs to HP and Sp. Defense so he lasts long enough. In this case, I would say Rest does work. It's a build where after turn 2 you just have to survive.
    Yeah no.. he will switch.. face it.. nothing stays to struggle to death.
    And I checked disable lots of pokemon get disable and trick isn't that rare so I don't think hypno is unique in that.. or that it is a really good strategy it is a gimmick one which might work if it is the opponent last pokemon.. or if hypno had shadow tag.
    Last edited by Ilan; 30th July 2012 at 11:56 PM.

Yeah no.. he will switch.. face it.. nothing stays to struggle to death.
    And I checked disable lots of pokemon get disable and trick isn't that rare so I don't think hypno is unique in that.. or that it is a really good strategy it is a gimmick one which might work if it is the opponent last pokemon.. or if hypno had shadow tag.
    Shadow Tag would be nice, traps the opponent, and forces them to struggle while you set up, would get him out of NU probably.

Arbok can also have Disable and Switcheroo from HG/SS
    Also, other pokemon can learn Trick, so there are also pokes who can use Trick and Disable.

I must have missed Arbok and Banette while looking over. But nevertheless they can't handle it with their Defenses(except possibly DW Banette w/ Cotton Guard, but even then you have to worry about special attacks for the first two turns). If I'm still missing anyone else, they didn't have the defenses that Hypno does.

It does become a Move Tutor move in BW2 again though and for more Pokemon than in HG/SS, and so in that I can say that it's more promising for others, but that hasn't been released here yet so I'm not really counting it in my searches.

I must have missed Arbok and Banette while looking over. But nevertheless they can't handle it with their Defenses(except possibly DW Banette w/ Cotton Guard, but even then you have to worry about special attacks for the first two turns). If I'm still missing anyone else, they didn't have the defenses that Hypno does.

It does become a Move Tutor move in BW2 again though and for more Pokemon than in HG/SS, and so in that I can say that it's more promising for others, but that hasn't been released here yet so I'm not really counting it in my searches.
    Outside of Hypno's tier, Gengar instantly pops into my mind for a Trick/Disable user...also, like you said, Trick is a BW2 move tutor attack, so there are lots of potential users

EDIT: Alakazam & Kadabra get it as well...Slowpoke & its evolutions too...also, the ralts evolution line..and dusclops..cacturne and cofagrigas too...shall i go on?
    Last edited by MetalCrow; 31st July 2012 at 8:10 AM.

Ah Hypno... While you have FRIGHTENING pokedex entries, you are not even scary competitively... You have an extremely wide movepool, usable abilities, and some decent special defense. What completely ruins you is your horrible other stats. While you do have some useful boosting moves to get around your average stats, you requires a lot of turns to set yourself up for a sweep. What hinders you the most is that you have no way to get around your low speed rendering sweeping sets unappealing and rather unaffective. To benefit from you the most, is by playing to your strenghs which are a great movepool and decent special bulk. Calm mind sets are the way to go as it solidifies your special bulk while letting you attack with somewhat strong special attacks. Support is an option too as you have access to a lot of disruptive moves notably Hypnosis, Trick room, thunder wave, taunt, switcheroo, torment and disable but pulling of them successfully is somewhat a challenge for you because of your bad speed. Access to double screen and baton pass are also options to be considered especially the latter since you have a lot of boosting moves. Finally, If you really want to play competitively, you need a complete team to support you but you do have some small jobs to do inside of your team.

As far as abilities go, you have access to insomnia which allows you to switch in safely in front of sleep inducers like tangela or jynx, something other fellow pokemon can't really do. Forewarn is really useless because it doesn't help you inside of battle much and hypno really needs something of a surprise factor to do some damage to the opponent. It does let you scout for a possible set your opponent might be running. Inner focus prevents flinching and might prove to be with some of use against flinch abusers like dunsparce since hypno doesn't mind to be paralyzed that much!

Hypno have access to nightmare a move that make sleeping pokemon lose 1/4 of their max HP between turns and with Hypnosis available and the new sleep mechanics of 5th gen that can prove to be an efficient strategy against the opponents on a gimmick set!

Something like that might be usable?
    A Hypno of nightmare!
    Hypno@leftovers
    EVS: 252 HP/4DEF/252 Sp DEF
    Nature: +SpDEF/ -ATT or +DEF/-ATT
    Moveset:
    -Hypnosis
    -Nightmare
    -Dream Eater
    -Shadow ball/ Signal beam/ Reflect

Ok... Lets be clear here! I really never used nightmare before and I don't know if the status is healed when the opponent switches out! But even here, that is not an issue as the new sleep mechanics will make you opponent think twice before switching out his sleeping pokemon. When you put a pokemon to sleep with hypnosis, activate nightmare's status and proceed to firing Dream eaters and watch the opponent's pokemon HP goes down as the damage racks up and your own HP goes up as you suck the life out of them! Shadow ball and signal beam are for dark type pokemon that are immune to hypnosis and dream eater and also can save you from other insomnia or vital spirited pokemon. Reflect is also easy to set up on a sleeping pokemon to buff up your weaker physical bulk turning hypno into a great wall!
    Note: If hypnosis misses on a physical sweeper, you are as good as dead but you can survive a special hit and try your luck again recovering that loss of HP with Dream eater!
    This is at best a gimmick set that I thought of and I don't even know if it works or not... but it can grant you a KO on something that is bothering you on your opponent's team with some luck!
    Last edited by Rayofquazar; 31st July 2012 at 9:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayofquazar View Post
    Ah Hypno... While you have FRIGHTENING pokedex entries, you are not even scary competitively... You have an extremely wide movepool, usable abilities, and some decent special defense. What completely ruins you is your horrible other stats. While you do have some useful boosting moves to get around your average stats, you requires a lot of turns to set yourself up for a sweep. What hinders you the most is that you have no way to get around your low speed rendering sweeping sets unappealing and rather unaffective. To benefit from you the most, is by playing to your strenghs which are a great movepool and decent special bulk. Calm mind sets are the way to go as it solidifies your special bulk while letting you attack with somewhat strong special attacks. Support is an option too as you have access to a lot of disruptive moves notably Hypnosis, Trick room, thunder wave, taunt, switcheroo, torment and disable but pulling of them successfully is somewhat a challenge for you because of your bad speed. Access to double screen and baton pass are also options to be considered especially the latter since you have a lot of boosting moves. Finally, If you really want to play competitively, you need a complete team to support you but you do have some small jobs to do inside of your team.

As far as abilities go, you have access to insomnia which allows you to switch in safely in front of sleep inducers like tangela or jynx, something other fellow pokemon can't really do. Forewarn is really useless because it doesn't help you inside of battle much and hypno really needs something of a surprise factor to do some damage to the opponent. It does let you scout for a possible set your opponent might be running. Inner focus prevents flinching and might prove to be with some of use against flinch abusers like dunsparce since hypno doesn't mind to be paralyzed that much!

Hypno have access to nightmare a move that make sleeping pokemon lose 1/4 of their max HP between turns and with Hypnosis available and the new sleep mechanics of 5th gen that can prove to be an efficient strategy against the opponents on a gimmick set!

Something like that might be usable?
    A Hypno of nightmare!
    Hypno@leftovers
    EVS: 252 HP/4DEF/252 Sp DEF
    Nature: +SpDEF/ -ATT or +DEF/-ATT
    Moveset:
    -Hypnosis
    -Nightmare
    -Dream Eater
    -Shadow ball/ Signal beam/ Reflect

Ok... Lets be clear here! I really never used nightmare before and I don't know if the status is healed when the opponent switches out! But even here, that is not an issue as the new sleep mechanics will make you opponent think twice before switching out his sleeping pokemon. When you put a pokemon to sleep with hypnosis, activate nightmare's status and proceed to firing Dream eaters and watch the opponent's pokemon HP goes down as the damage racks up and your own HP goes up as you suck the life out of them! Shadow ball and signal beam are for dark type pokemon that are immune to hypnosis and dream eater and also can save you from other insomnia or vital spirited pokemon. Reflect is also easy to set up on a sleeping pokemon to buff up your weaker physical bulk turning hypno into a great wall!
    Note: If hypnosis misses on a physical sweeper, you are as good as dead but you can survive a special hit and try your luck again recovering that loss of HP with Dream eater!
    This is at best a gimmick set that I thought of and I don't even know if it works or not... but it can grant you a KO on something that is bothering you on your opponent's team with some luck!
    Most people will switch.= useless set. Last time I checked dark types aren't immune to psychic status moves like trick or hypnosis.

Wonder if this set can be usable...

Hypnosis abuser
    - Hypnosis
    - Barrier/ Light screen
    - Dream eater/ psychic/ psyshock
    - nasty Plot
    Held item: leftovers
    Nature should be a neutral one
    252 speed/252 defense/4 special attack
    Put the foe to sleep with Hypnosis. barrier is a great skill that increases Your measly 70 defense. light screen can be used if you want more sp. def. dream eater is like free recovery while doing awesome damage with nasty plot. psychic can be used in place so can psyshock I think speed is important to put the opponent to sleep.

hyper hippie hypno
    - barrier
    - nasty plot
    - drain punch/fire punch/ shadow ball
    - psychic/ psyshock
    252 sp. Atk/ 252 defense/ 4 speed
    Held item: leftovers
    Nature should be a Nuetral one as well
    Your pure attacking set. barrier increases your defense.nasty plot for better sp. Atk. drain punch, fire punch or shadow ball can ruin it's weakness types. psychic is your good old sweeping stuff, but psyshock does physical damage

Other options:
    Focus Blast hits super hard, but doesn't have the best accuracy.
    Switcheroo can really screw others up
    Dark pulse can be used instead of shadow ball, but it's pointless due to hypno being sort of slow
    Zen headbutt is great, but same drawback as dark pulse
    Reflect can be used for your teammates, but barrier adds more def.
    Brick break can be used to break duo barriers
    Trick room can be used for slow hypno

That's what I think. Please give me some feedbacks, thanks

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Counters-Honchkrow is a big one, immune to sleep, and stabs and can kill it with Night Slash, but watch out for Ice/Thunder Punch. Murkrow also works with Priority Taunt and where it down with Night Shade, but again watch out for Ice/ThunderPunch. Cinncino can also hurt as well with STAB Banded Tail Slap. Prankster Liepard gets a mention with Prankster and can proceed to hurt it with STABs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast