Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Community POTW #83

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Most people will switch.= useless set. Last time I checked dark types aren't immune to psychic status moves like trick or hypnosis.
    Well thanks for the feedback... LOL! I said that I don't even know if it works or not but maybe it won't be that useless, just gimmicky! Sleep mechanics changed in 5th gen and not many opponents will predict having nightmare on a hypno... So It's not that impossible to inflict the status. Even if the opponent switches, having a sleeping pokemon in one's party is not a good thing!

It might turn out to be a horrible set either, but I just thought of posting something new!

Again, I was not taking B2/W2 Move Tutor into account as it is not available where I am yet. In terms of the firsts Black and White, Hypno is the best option(and he works well if you know what you're doing). In Black 2 and White 2, I'll gladly admit there will be better options, Slowbro/Slowking look particularly promising, and Cofagrigus as well. Gengar and other sweepers are not suitable for this build, as they can't generally take a hit.

What about using hypnosis to force a switch and use it to set up? Sub punch set works here.

Hyp hop
    Substitute
    Hypnosis
    Focus punch
    Zen headbutt/psycho cut
    Adamant/brave
    Evs 252 hp 252 att 4 def
    Leftovers/wide lens

Lets see. Use this late game.(2/3 opponents left). Hypnosis should make the foe switch, so you then put up a substitute. Next turn, if foe isn't ghost type, it can have delt a strong focus punch while the foe tries to take down the substitute. The last move makes sure that ghost types don't wall you completely. Leftovers for recovery or wide lens to improve hypnosis' shaky accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    What about using hypnosis to force a switch and use it to set up? Sub punch set works here.

Hyp hop
    Substitute
    Hypnosis
    Focus punch
    Zen headbutt/psycho cut
    Adamant/brave
    Evs 252 hp 252 att 4 def
    Leftovers/wide lens

Lets see. Use this late game.(2/3 opponents left). Hypnosis should make the foe switch, so you then put up a substitute. Next turn, if foe isn't ghost type, it can have delt a strong focus punch while the foe tries to take down the substitute. The last move makes sure that ghost types don't wall you completely. Leftovers for recovery or wide lens to improve hypnosis' shaky accuracy.
    Sableye and Spiritomb say hello to your "nice" set.
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by ArcanusX View Post
    Sableye and Spiritomb say hello to your "nice" set.
    He means late game, and Sableye is banned from NU so late game isn't bad.

Hypno isn`t a good PKMN but I made one that I liked:

"The Hypnotist"
    -Hypnosis
    -Dream Eater
    -Barrier
    -Focus Blast(Better Choice)/Hidden Power(Bug)/Signal Beam(For BW 2 move tutor)/Shadow Ball (It sucks with Shadow Ball)
    Nature: Modest Ability: Insomnia
    Item: Wide Lens [for the awful Accuracy]
    EVs: 58 Def/ 200 SP. Atk/ 152 SP. Def/ 100 Speed

The Strategy is simple, first of all we must put the enemy to sleep with hypnosis, to sharply raises its Defense stat to stay alive, or you can choose to use dream eater to heal your health and when you want to kill the opponent you can Focus Blast, Signal Beam(BW 2) or Shadow Ball. It`s always a good choice the raise his bad defense to survive because he didn`t have a good defense and his Sp. Def you don`t need to be worried about, and if you are sure that the opponent is sleeping you can use Dream Eater to do some damage and heal you the base power its great 100, and the other attacks you can it`s much better using Focus Blast Because of the base power being 120 but the accuracy doesn`t help just like hypnosis this is why I`m putting Wide lens, but there are other options to you to make, HP(Bug), Signal Beam (BW 2) and Shadow Ball.

I think a good set would be a calm mind set using shadow ball, psychic, and focus blast as the attacks...those 3 attacks have awesome coverage in the nu tier...of course, like other hypno sets, it functions better after physical opponents have been eliminated...with that much team support, hypno should be able to function fairly well...o yea, don't forget to wipe out walls while you're at it...they can be difficult to beat since hypno has no good way to heal status and damage in a stall war

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    He means late game, and Sableye is banned from NU so late game isn't bad.
    About that, I don't know which Pokémon belong to which tier and what's banned (or not) so I said the first thing that came to my mind about the set.

About that, I don't know which Pokémon belong to which tier and what's banned (or not) so I said the first thing that came to my mind about the set.
    I got directed here when I asked about tiers:
    http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/.

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    I got directed here when I asked about tiers:
    http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/.
    Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Rayofquazar View Post
    Well thanks for the feedback... LOL! I said that I don't even know if it works or not but maybe it won't be that useless, just gimmicky! Sleep mechanics changed in 5th gen and not many opponents will predict having nightmare on a hypno... So It's not that impossible to inflict the status. Even if the opponent switches, having a sleeping pokemon in one's party is not a good thing!

It might turn out to be a horrible set either, but I just thought of posting something new!
    Hypno have 73 sp.attack (KOes nothing..) once Nightmare or Dream Eater show up the opponent will know it and won't let you use it ever again.. and people tend to switch when they are put to sleep so they aren't set up foddders..

Hypnos' best bet is a special wall or nasty plot to be kinda scary (although everything with a base 100 with specs is stronger than than..)
    Dream Eater even in theory is horrible in practic it is more horrible. I tend to laugh when people use that or hyper beam variants.
    Last edited by Ilan; 3rd August 2012 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Thanks for the info!
    No problem =]

Hypno is probably one of the most outclassed Psychic pokemon, then again, he is creepy.

Hypno is easy... but next week... I can't give details but next week will be a nightmare.

It will be Unown next week, we get to laugh at its uselessness and enjoy it with pizza.

I tried a little testing with Hypno, and let me just start by saying that NP Hypno is terrible. Base 73 SpA is really weak sauce, and its speed doesn't do it any favors. Trick Room sorta fixes the speed problem, but it's really not a move to rely on, and Hypno rarely gets the opportunity to use both NP and TR (which it really needs to sweep effectively at all). It also pretty much dies if Skuntank or Absol walks onto the field. I have no clue why you would use this over Mr. Mime, who has much more speed and power, as well as Baton Pass to boot and (IIRC) protect it from Pursuit.

The specially defensive set is actually kinda decent. It soaks up special hits easily with its great special bulk and WishTect, and at least it has Seismic Toss to help its low level of power. The real problem here is finding a reason to use it over another Wish-based special wall. Lickilicky is usually going to be better with its decent power, similar if not better special bulk, good physical bulk to compliment, bigger Wishes, Heal Bell, and Dragon Tail phazing. Flareon also gives it some competition with its arguably better resistances, Heal Bell once again, Roar phazing, and the ability to do decent damage and spread burns with Lava Plume. Neither of these guys are complete Pursuit bait either. The resistances to Psychic and Fighting attacks are nice, but many Psychic types have ways of getting past Hypno (i.e. a boosted Shadow Ball), and the most common Fighting types can muscle past Hypno by targeting its much lower physical bulk.

So honestly, the specially defensive set is the set to use for this guy. It's actually pretty decent, but you always have to ask why you're using this over something else.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    I have no clue why you would use this over Mr. Mime, who has much more speed and power, as well as Baton Pass to boot and (IIRC) protect it from Pursuit.
    Hypno gets Baton Pass as well.
    But yeah, Hypno's pretty terrible. You could run a support set with Light Clay, and Dual Screens. Wish and Seismic Toss as recovery and attack. This set is outclassed by every other psychic type though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grei View Post
    Alternatively, the Pokemon fandom is on a whole entirely unable to be pleased, and no matter what Game Freak does, a loud minority will always ***** about how they could have done it better. :P

Fun with SI prefixes:

What do you call a 2000 g. mockingbird?

2 kilo Mockingbird

That pun was like 1 trillion bulls: terra-bull

Oh yeah, he does get it from XD. Thanks for catching that. All the same, though, Mr. Mime does have the huge advantage of being able to BP out before either of the premier NU Pursuit users can hit it due to its higher speed stat. It also makes a better BP abuser with Soundproof preventing Roar phazing, but that's more of a side note.

Is Takeo the one who chooses and creates puns for the POTW or is it Blue Harvests work? After seeing the Armaldo POTW with Takeo being mentioned in the LC section, it popped in my head.

Sweet dreams
    The Hypnotist (mentioned)
    Bedlam in the Bigtop (an old scooby doo reference)
    Last edited by Takeo; 5th August 2012 at 9:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    Is Takeo the one who chooses and creates puns for the POTW or is it Blue Harvests work? After seeing the Armaldo POTW with Takeo being mentioned in the LC section, it popped in my head.
    The final decision for POTW stuff is entirely up to me.

But most of the time Saturday at 4 am when I'm drunkenly trying to slap this thing together Takeo is usually the one who collects the puns.

sometimes i try to think of puns but i suck at it

Credit to the amazing Lunar <3 and EG and BH :3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123