Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 266

Thread: Jostling for the Junior Cup (751)

  1. #126
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30,569

    Default

    Sadly I agree. As bland as Trip always is, the writers have pretty much ruined Georgia and Burundly. The sad thing is they both started off with tons of potential, but seeing them always lose and lose quickly is very tiring.

    Even Barry who lost most of his battles remained funny and entertaining.

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    7,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    The only thing I’m happy about is the disapproval Iris got from Alder, Cilan and most importantly Georgia. I’m expecting this rivalry to take a new turn now since Dragonite’s victory represents more how amateur Iris is rather than her strength.
    Wait, she got a disapproval? :O

    I didn't know that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    Burgundy keeps being the butt monkey of this show. I don’t even know why she exists. She serves no purpose. At least Georgia's rivalry is getting a new dimension but Burgundy just keeps being an idiot and has absolutely no effect on Cilan’s journey. He deserves something better.
    QFT.

  3. #128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderblade12 View Post
    Review of episode:

    This episode was the accumulation of everything I hate about Best Wishes. As soon as Georgia and Burgundy appeared with their usual bickering I felt an annoyance I've never felt with this show before and thought to myself "What's the point of sitting through the same shtick at every toutnament? They're both going to lose the first round anyway." But damn if that disappointment didn't continue as the episode went on. The battles were all pointless. Not a one of them was worthwhile. At least the previous two tournaments had at least one memorable battle in each episode of the tournament. The longest battles were Caitlin vs Cynthia and Iris vs Georgia and even they were a massive disappointment. I still say they might as well write Burgundy off the show. They've dug her grave and now they're just spitting in it. She didn't even order an attack before losing. When I'm wishing a CotD could have taken a recurring character's spot in any given situation, you know there's a problem. Burgundy was treated no better than any of the other CotDs in this episode and having her at this tournament at all seems like a huge waste. Ash, Cilan and Dawn's battles were painfully short, especially since we know that's pretty much going to be Dawn's only on screen win in her entire cameo. I really hope they add something for her before she leaves because right now her cameo feels about as special as when Angie, Luke or some other mostly useless character tags along with Ash and co. for a few episodes. People might say "yay, Leavanny got a win" or "Good, Trip is finally showing progress" but will anyone really remember Leavanny's 3 second battle against a Karablast at the end of Best Wishes? Will anyone actually take a win against Burgundy, a character who never got an on screen victory, seriously? This is the same fanbase with people who said Infernape wasn't that strong despite it's countless victories just because it used it's completely legitimate ability a few times. Georgia might as well not even be Iris's rival any more either. Not only did Dragonite beat Beartic, it did so flawlessly. None of it's attacks seemed to phase it in the least and it beat it with a single hit. No one seemed to care at the end of the battle that Dragonite didn't listen to Iris either, so don't play that card. It's probably an issue that will resolve itself in this tournament just like Emolga's laziness "issue." I've also come to realize how two-dimensional Georgia and Burgundy both are compared to other rivals in the series. Their entire gimmick is that they show up, yell a bit and act as cannon fodder in a tournament. The only bright side to this episode are an Unova Elite 4 member FINALLY appearing, even though this late in the game I doubt that means the others are on their way, and Trip showing the same distaste in Alder that may lead to some development at the end of this tournament (at least that shows the writers haven't completely forgotten how to maintain continuity.)


    3/10 (Awful)

    *Puts up flame shield*
    This is pretty much what I think too. Dawn should have at least gotten a a full battle scene before losing to Dragonite in the next round, but the writers can't even get this right. Her cameo seems totally pointless right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Wait, she got a disapproval? :O

    I didn't know that.
    Cilan didn't celebrate her win. Georgia called her out for not controlling Dragonite and Alder didn't look pleased either. It was only Ash, Dawn and Iris who celebrated.

    I don't know why she celebrated, though. That bothered me. She shouldn't have . She acted like a weak trainer all battle long.

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    No one seemed to care at the end of the battle that Dragonite didn't listen to Iris either, so don't play that card. It's probably an issue that will resolve itself in this tournament just like Emolga's laziness "issue."
    That's the one problem I had regarding the battle's outcome: Iris did not seem worried much after the "win". She just cheered and was happy that she passed, not even showing fear or any other emotion regarding Dragonite's disobedience, and if she did it wasn't important enough to foreshadow future problems. I was correct in predicting that Georgia would say something like "I lost to Dragonite but not to Iris" but it just didn't feel right to me. I guess I'm just being picky, but when it's something as important as a key Pokemon's development, one that will be getting a lot of focus and hype for more than 2 episodes, then I have the right to complain. I've never complained much about this show yet BW2 is bringing out this side of me that keeps on getting disappointed.

    At this point I've almost given up on Dragonite's development in the WT (and Dawn's for that matter, but that's for a whole different discussion). There is nothing that can surprise me anymore and the writers had many opportunities to make this a great arc, yet it's not meeting up to the hype that's been gradually building up for it. Maybe they'll redeem it in the following episodes, I don't know, but for now it's not seeming very promising at all, at least to me. :/

  6. #131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Wait, she got a disapproval? :O

    I didn't know that.


    QFT.
    Not quite sure where he heard that, but during the match, Adeku said Kairyu has a strong will to fight, in addition to wondering if Kairyu dislikes using moves that have a type advantage over the foe's Pokemon......nothing about disapproval.....just evaluatory remarks I'd say.


    I don't blame Adeku though, it takes alot more than someone of Iris' class to impress him.

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    Cilan didn't celebrate her win. Georgia called her out for not controlling Dragonite and Alder didn't look pleased either. It was only Ash, Dawn and Iris who celebrated.

    I don't know why she celebrated, though. That bothered me. She shouldn't have . She acted like a weak trainer all battle long.
    I guess she was just happy that her Pokemon won even if it didn't go exactly her way. She did say something about it to Dragonite at least, the next episode will probably have her dive more into this issue.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

    Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wherever *****s go
    Posts
    5,066

    Default

    Awful, awful episode. I usually try to just watch this show as if I were a kid and not take it to seriously, but there was just so much wrong here.

    First off, I have no idea why this was so rushed. I get that there's going to be an Alder battle at the end, but would really have been that bad to have an extra episode for that instead of including it in the four episode arc. Ash, Dawn, and Cilan's battles were all so pitiful it wasn't even funny. I don't like Dawn but if her return meant that all she really got was a five-second Piplup battle then I'm going to be disappointed.

    And then there was Burgundy. Yet again she loses in the first round. I get that she's not supposed to be taken seriously, but jeez, can't she at least make it to the second round? The fact that the battle lasted like, thirty seconds made it even worse. It looks like they just gave her Darmanitan to try and not let her roster go stale, but it didn't even get to move. Her mistreatment rubs off on Cilan too, because it means that he's bereft of a proper rival. Poor Cilan~

    Finally, Iris vs Georgia. It was a poor battle. I don't have a problem with her winning or anything, but the fact that it was just another OHKO match was really disappointing. Beartic should have at least been able to scratch Dragonite, instead of just standing there gawping as its moves didn't work.

    Yeah. Pretty horrible episode overall, even if the exhibition match was all right. The rest of the tournament doesn't look too promising. B|


    e: Not really related to the episode, but the fact that they apparently changed Leer so drastically is pretty weird. I hope Scraggy's looks like that next time he uses it.
    Last edited by Valoo.; 2nd August 2012 at 9:14 PM.

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ant View Post
    Yeah.....uh-huh.......you must have also been studying Japanese for 5 years?

    They clearly said the Japanese name for LEER, followed by the Announcer-dude repeating LEER, and explaining the Def.-Lowering Effect.........but whatevs......
    So they just decided to change it's animation and paralyze it's opponent for the hell of it?

    Animators what the hell? Scraggy's leer looks pathetic in comparison to Serperior's. I get that Scraggy is basically a baby, but come on.

    And just so we're clear, niramitsukeru was called out and not hebinirami.

    =====================

    WAIT, WAIT, HOLD ON.

    Trip told Serperior to lower Darmanitan's defense BUT USED SOLARBEAM TO KNOCK IT OUT?

    Writers do you even play the games?
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 2nd August 2012 at 9:24 PM.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Writers do you even play the games?
    They really are mirroring OS now! D= *jk, jk*

    At least the animation looked nice...

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    This account has been hacked.
    Posts
    3,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post

    WAIT, WAIT, HOLD ON.

    Trip told Serperior to lower Darmanitan's defense BUT USED SOLARBEAM TO KNOCK IT OUT?

    Writers do you even play the games?
    They're too busy writing.~~

    Perhaps they could have let Serperior use another attack instead of Leer, but whatever.

    Or maybe Trip is just an idiot. ^^

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    All over the place
    Posts
    1,679

    Default

    this is pretty much an episode about awesome pokemon flexing their muscles...that's it...disregarding the obvious rush, it's more or less to get people excited by showing pokemon after pokemon after pokemon...so in that sense, I think it's pretty good, but I do have some things to say...Trips is one pissed off kid...I'm guessing he wants to show Alder what a "real" trainer is when in truth he doesn't even get it himself...what a kid...it's obvious they are going to build up to Trip vs. Alder, Trips gets owned and learns something about how winning isn't everything and regains respect from Alder...I just hope serperior isn't the one to get owned...speaking of serperior, it was as awesome as it can get...one shot on a fire type?...but then again what can I say? It's serperior...as for dragonite, it seemed it was more or less trying to test its own endurance...it wanted to see how many ice attacks it can take...after taking two ice beams and a blizzard, I guess it realized its limit and decided to end it quickly...beartic had no chance...

    also, I see that a lot of people think the move serperior used was leer...I'm pretty sure it was glare...also, garchomp used brick break (not dragon claw) against gothitelle's brick break...

    edit: nvm it is leer...I think the issue arose that leer translates to "glare" in Japanese while glare is "snake glare"...
    Last edited by XXD17; 2nd August 2012 at 10:07 PM.
    Draconic Pokemon are King: My Deviant: http://xxd17.deviantart.com

    Future Alpha Sapphire Team:

  13. #138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    So they just decided to change it's animation and paralyze it's opponent for the hell of it?

    Animators what the hell? Scraggy's leer looks pathetic in comparison to Serperior's. I get that Scraggy is basically a baby, but come on.

    And just so we're clear, niramitsukeru was called out and not hebinirami.

    =====================

    WAIT, WAIT, HOLD ON.

    Trip told Serperior to lower Darmanitan's defense BUT USED SOLARBEAM TO KNOCK IT OUT?

    Writers do you even play the games?
    Yes, for the 8001th time, Leer was called out, and it was repeated by the announcer and explained the Def. lowering effect.

    Moreso than paralysis, Daruma was too scared to move, ergo, the description in the DPP games "The foe is given an intimidating leer with sharp eyes."

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    IN YO FACE
    Posts
    4,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Which proves how screwed over this tournament is. What is the point of Georgia and Burundly as rivals if they always lose?
    Since they aren't Ash's rivals, they aren't THAT important, but still serve a purpose for Iris and Cilan.

    In the case of May and Dawn, they each had multiple rivals, and each of those rivals had their own roles. Drew was May's serious rival and Harley was May's punching bag. Zoey was Dawn's serious rival and Ursula was Dawn's punching bag.

    With Iris and Cilan only having one rival each, the writers have decided their roles and personalities. Burgundy is Cilan's punching bag (and everyone else's) and Georgia is Iris's moderate rival, someone who can be taken seriously but can still be beaten. In other words, Georgia is Iris's Drew and Harley combined into one.

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Basement, York
    Posts
    3,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ant View Post
    Yes, for the 8001th time, Leer was called out, and it was repeated by the announcer and explained the Def. lowering effect.

    Moreso than paralysis, Daruma was too scared to move, ergo, the description in the DPP games "The foe is given an intimidating leer with sharp eyes."
    I don't think Dman was questioning you, rather the writers decision.

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    With Iris and Cilan only having one rival each, the writers have decided their roles and personalities. Burgundy is Cilan's punching bag (and everyone else's) and Georgia is Iris's moderate rival, someone who can be taken seriously but can still be beaten. In other words, Georgia is Iris's Drew and Harley combined into one.
    That's...kinda sad, actually. Georgia and Burgundy have had the worst rival treatment yet, no matter how you look at it (well maybe Kenny had it worse, but still). Pity, since I really liked them both when they were new to the series. I sincerely hope the writers turn a new leaf and give the two of them the redemption they deserve, but I'm losing my faith here.

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Basement, York
    Posts
    3,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuppirox View Post
    That's...kinda sad, actually. Georgia and Burgundy have had the worst rival treatment yet, no matter how you look at it (well maybe Kenny had it worse, but still). Pity, since I really liked them both when they were new to the series. I sincerely hope the writers turn a new leaf and give the two of them the redemption they deserve, but I'm losing my faith here.
    I wouldn't say Georgia has it so bad, Burgundy on the other hand is a total joke.

  18. #143
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuppirox View Post
    That's...kinda sad, actually. Georgia and Burgundy have had the worst rival treatment yet, no matter how you look at it. Pity, since I really liked them both when they were new to the series. I sincerely hope the writers turn a new leaf and give the two of them the redemption they deserve, but I'm losing my faith here.
    The overall quality of rivals has been pretty poor this entire season. Stephan and Bianca aren't terribly impressive, Georgia has actually done very little as Iris's rival, and Burgundy is tossed around like a ragdoll by everyone. I'm willing to give Trip a little leniency since Paul is a pretty tough act to follow, but he's received very little development throughout the series. In my opinion, however, today was a good episode for Trip. He's finally made it past the first round (unlike someone else we know).

  19. #144
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    11,234

    Default

    I hear next time Burgundy shows up she's going to be losing to that kid from that obscure Dunsparce filler from the Johto saga.

    If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    2,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMerle View Post
    I wouldn't say Georgia has it so bad, Burgundy on the other hand is a total joke.
    That is true, sadly.

    Quote Originally Posted by I am Lu View Post
    The overall quality of rivals has been pretty poor this entire season. Stephan and Bianca aren't terribly impressive, Georgia has actually done very little as Iris's rival, and Burgundy is tossed around like a ragdoll by everyone. I'm willing to give Trip a little leniency since Paul is a pretty tough act to follow, but he's received very little development throughout the series. In my opinion, however, today was a good episode for Trip. He's finally made it past the first round (unlike someone else we know).
    The BW rivals in general are making it hard to bring anything new to the table with the exception of showing off new Pokemon for the sake of making it seem as though they are still getting stronger, that they still have roles as rivals... It's getting boring, even Shooti's story is getting a bit stale. Fortunately he seems to be getting some more development lately so he's not a total lost cause.

    Stephan and Bianca...no comment. I still like them, so I'll wait to see more of them to form an opinion on their status.

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderblade12 View Post
    I hear next time Burgundy shows up she's going to be losing to that kid from that obscure Dunsparce filler from the Johto saga.
    There was an obscure Dunsparce filler in Johto? Oh my.

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Basement, York
    Posts
    3,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderblade12 View Post
    I hear next time Burgundy shows up she's going to be losing to that kid from that obscure Dunsparce filler from the Johto saga.
    Lol, and she's using a Kyurem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuppirox View Post
    The BW rivals in general are making it hard to bring anything new to the table with the exception of showing off new Pokemon for the sake of making it seem as though they are still getting stronger, that they still have roles as rivals... It's getting boring, even Shooti's story is getting a bit stale. Fortunately he seems to be getting some more development lately so he's not a total lost cause.
    I feel like the world tournament will provide us a little more for his plot.

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    6,170

    Default

    Uuuugh...the battles were SO short. Dx I don't know...:/ this doesn't really strike my fancy. It's just the same old, same old so far....>.>
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

  23. #148
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    This account has been hacked.
    Posts
    3,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    Uuuugh...the battles were SO short. Dx I don't know...:/ this doesn't really strike my fancy. It's just the same old, same old so far....>.>
    At least it isn't "way too long and wasting all my time!"

    But yeah this ep was kinda dumb. Throw in some generic music and watch as everyone gets one-shotted.
    Last edited by BurningSociety12345543210; 2nd August 2012 at 11:03 PM.

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Aspertia City
    Posts
    3,474

    Default

    Us
    Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    At least it isn't "way too long and wasting all my time!"

    But yeah this ep was kinda dumb. Throw in some generic music and watch as everyone gets one-shotted.
    Did you not read anyone's post, there was no one shotting except for Trip and Dragonite, everyone else's matches were just finishing up. This happened before

    This show
    DBZ
    Every shown with freaking tournaments

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30,569

    Default

    I really don't understand why the quality of the battles went downhill from DP. These feel very similar to the one-hit KO battles from Kanto.

    Its strange because all the writers are still the same as the ones from DP, so what the hell happened?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •