Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Jostling for the Junior Cup (751)

watched the subbed version, i also want to see more caitlin. I wonder if they'll go into her backstory while she was in the battle frontier. and i know they wanted to show iris' battle, but i don't like how they just kicked the other characters battles to the side. and the sub said glare but i think the subbers just did that for relevancy. i dont understand how serperior (even if it is awesome) could one shot a darmanitan...
    Friends are family you choose

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonicbro View Post
    watched the subbed version, i also want to see more caitlin. I wonder if they'll go into her backstory while she was in the battle frontier. and i know they wanted to show iris' battle, but i don't like how they just kicked the other characters battles to the side. and the sub said glare but i think the subbers just did that for relevancy. i dont understand how serperior (even if it is awesome) could one shot a darmanitan...
    It was "Butt Monkey" Burgandy's Darmanitan, so it should be obvious how it got one-shotted with Solarbeam. I can almost swear that, one day, she's going to get tired of the constant losing streak and bad jokes about her and try to go for her B-Class license on-screen. That episode would probably be used to help her mellow out and make a little peace with Cilan, because right now, if she were to go against Ash at the league, she wouldn't even be able to take out Scraggy without one or two of her Pokemon being knocked out in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    It was "Butt Monkey" Burgandy's Darmanitan, so it should be obvious how it got one-shotted with Solarbeam. I can almost swear that, one day, she's going to get tired of the constant losing streak and bad jokes about her and try to go for her B-Class license on-screen. That episode would probably be used to help her mellow out and make a little peace with Cilan, because right now, if she were to go against Ash at the league, she wouldn't even be able to take out Scraggy without one or two of her Pokemon being knocked out in the process.
    sad but true. yeah i would rather see her get development and actually beat characters than getting beaten to make the others look good. I know she's supposed to be the joke character, which is kind of sad, but can they give her at least ONE win? i don't think she's won a battle on screen before....right?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonicbro View Post
    sad but true. yeah i would rather see her get development and actually beat characters than getting beaten to make the others look good. I know she's supposed to be the joke character, which is kind of sad, but can they give her at least ONE win? i don't think she's won a battle on screen before....right?
    Winning against Burgundy doesn't even make the victor look good anymore. It has about as much substance as beating a weaker COTD now or , but I can see her putting together a Sun team for the league now.

Oh well. Out of the main three rivals, it seems that Georgia is getting the most development with Trip coming in a close second recently. She seems to be getting on much friendlier terms with Iris, even though they're still rivals. She also seems to hold her rival up to high expectations as opposed to other rivals that tend to continually bash the main characters or show little to no concern for their personal lives and current strength. I wouldn't be surprised if Georgia just happened to invite herself and tag along when the group takes a trip to the Dragon Village (why do you think I made that happen in my first shipping fanfic?).

Just saw the episode. I don't understand why so many people call the battles "rushed" when we've seen dozens of battle montages in the show over the years. That's all it was, I see no problem there.

-Dragonite clearly doesn't know how to dodge, or it thinks it's such a "tough guy" that it doesn't need to. Turtwig didn't understand what dodging meant either, but that was soon fixed. Also, it's not really disobedient in the same way that Charizard or Mamoswine were. It's willing to battle for Iris, but it thinks it doesn't need her help and it can do it its own way. My guess on how this will be resolved is that a similar battle happens but Dragonite loses and feels really depressed about it. Eventually Iris manages to bring it out of its depression, and it realizes it's better off listening to her. Or possibly something similar to the demonstration battle Ash and Scraggy gave Chris and Cubchoo against that Larvitar. Cubchoo watched the battle and liked the idea of battling with Chris. Maybe something similar will happen with Dragonite, it'll watch another battle and decide to try working with Iris.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Winning against Burgundy doesn't even make the victor look good anymore. It has about as much substance as beating a weaker COTD now or , but I can see her putting together a Sun team for the league now.
    I don't see how. Last time she almost defeated Iris's Excadrill. That's still a pretty big feat in itself. She caught a new Darmanitan and it's link isn't as strong with her as it would have been if it was with her longer. That's how I see it.

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    I don't see how. Last time she almost defeated Iris's Excadrill. That's still a pretty big feat in itself. She caught a new Darmanitan and it's link isn't as strong with her as it would have been if it was with her longer. That's how I see it.
    Key word being "almost". Pretty much every time that Burgundy goes against someone, It's always safe to assume that, regardless of whatever type advantage she has, she'll still lose against her opponent. I don't know if it happens because she simply sucks (to fit the Butt Monkey role) or because she just has a severe case of Can't Catch Up that's caused by her irrational obsession with Cilan, but it's starting to get really boring to see her constantly losing. I'm honestly hoping for the day that Burgundy Takes A Level or two in awesome and has the bearded Samurott to show it.

I'm honestly hoping they make an episode that focuses on Burgundy's development one day because:

1.) We still haven't seen what S-class or B-class Connoisseurs normally do or act like,
    2.) It would be interesting to see an episode where she has to swallow her pride and ignore her desires for revenge long enough to have a chance at promotion, and
    3.) I already had enough of Butt Monkeys when I saw the TRio before Unova, and I don't feel like seeing another main character who's only real purpose is to be comic relief and to lose (the latter is what we have COTDs for).

Well, that's my rant.
    Last edited by PokeMaster366; 7th August 2012 at 3:50 PM.

Key word being "almost". Pretty much every time that Burgundy goes against someone, It's always safe to assume that, regardless of whatever type advantage she has, she'll still lose against her opponent. I don't know if it happens because she simply sucks (to fit the Butt Monkey role) or because she just has a severe case of Can't Catch Up that's caused by her irrational obsession with Cilan, but it's starting to get really boring to see her constantly losing. I'm honestly hoping for the day that Burgundy Takes A Level or two in awesome and has the bearded Samurott to show it.
    -_- Was it really necessary to link TVtropes? I'm saying because Iris has had Excadrill for a long time, and everyone knows that Excadrill is really strong. Burgundy's a new trainer and not a "prodigy." I'm just saying that she improved from last time, and I think the reason why she lost this time was not because she "always loses" but because Darmanitan was new.

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    tumblr|fanfiction

-_- Was it really necessary to link TVtropes?
    I know right? I get annoyed at people who even use the phrases "Crowning Moment of Funny" "Crowning Moment of Heartwarming" ex. Seeing Oshawott and Emolga fight was a Crowning Moment of Funny.

Anyway,

Burgundy must have some sort of epiphany that she became a Connaissuese for the wrong reasons.

-_- Was it really necessary to link TVtropes? I'm saying because Iris has had Excadrill for a long time, and everyone knows that Excadrill is really strong. Burgundy's a new trainer and not a "prodigy." I'm just saying that she improved from last time, and I think the reason why she lost this time was not because she "always loses" but because Darmanitan was new.
    Yes. Yes it was. It's just an inclination.

I can accept Dewott's loss against Excadrill in the Donamite, but it simply irked me how they let Darmanitan lose so easily to Trip's Serperior (so rude of him to attack while she's talking). Darmanitan didn't even get to put up a fight or use an attack. He just stood there and got knocked out like a typical grunt.

Well, enough talk about Burgundy for now and on to Dragonite. Dragonite is looking pretty powerful, but I'm concerned that Iris is going to have the same problem with him that Ash had with Charizard. No, I don't mean the disobedience issues (those seem to get resolved soon, anyway), but rather, that situation where he feels like a big fish in a small pond. It seemed like, at the beginning, whenever Iris got in a serious battle, she was more concerned with winning than actually becoming stronger. That personal problem seems to be clearing up as the story progresses, but I'm worried that it may resurface again now that she got Dragonite.

Am I just being paranoid?

It could be that the best way for Dragonite to realize it's better off working with Iris would be for Dragonite to have its way of battling fail. Perhaps a similar situation as the Beartic battle will happen again, but Dragonite will lose this time and get all demoralized and stuff, but Iris manages to bring it out of it and it decides to work with her rather than for her.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

It seemed like, at the beginning, whenever Iris got in a serious battle, she was more concerned with winning than actually becoming stronger. That personal problem seems to be clearing up as the story progresses, but I'm worried that it may resurface again now that she got Dragonite.
    You know as they say "old habits die hard." I wouldn't mind it to resurface. It'd show Iris's immaturity.

tumblr|fanfiction

You know as they say "old habits die hard." I wouldn't mind it to resurface. It'd show Iris's immaturity.
    It would also give the writers more material to work with and be a bit of a stab at those regular video game people that are too lazy to sit through the regular game and choose to import Level 100 legends from the beginning in order to cut time.

It would also give the writers more material to work with and be a bit of a stab at those regular video game people that are too lazy to sit through the regular game and choose to import Level 100 legends from the beginning in order to cut time.
    I never thought of it like that. XD I thought only newbs did that. :/

tumblr|fanfiction

For everyone up in arms about Darmanitan being one-shotted, Seeing as Glare paralyzes the opponent, in the world of the anime Darmanitan was paralyzed and therefore unable to get its arms up or anything to defend itself, allowing for a full-on direct hit which could've done much more damage. Seeing as the Darmanitan is newly caught, and Serperior is Trip's highest leveled pokemon, it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to me.

Except that Serperior used Leer, not Glare.

Wicked Witch got nothing on me

I'm honestly hoping they make an episode that focuses on Burgundy's development one day because:

1.) We still haven't seen what S-class or B-class Connoisseurs normally do or act like,
    2.) It would be interesting to see an episode where she has to swallow her pride and ignore her desires for revenge long enough to have a chance at promotion, and
    3.) I already had enough of Butt Monkeys when I saw the TRio before Unova, and I don't feel like seeing another main character who's only real purpose is to be comic relief and to lose (the latter is what we have COTDs for).

Well, that's my rant.
    i agree completely. im kinda tired of the clown characters that have no purpose whatsoever other than just messing around and not taken seriously. Georgia is becoming more liked to me because it looked like she was going in that direction with burgundy but she became powerful and won some battles and in this episode it even looks like she was pushing iris to become a dragon master. and i've even noticed she's even starting to be against burgundy. it seems like the writers purpose is for her to be hated b everyone, they even had the scene where she gets up in dawns face for no reason to create a reason for dawn to also dislike her. and they make her look even worse when they have cilan be nice to her and her continue her baseless anger towards him. i thought she had some hope in the first tournament when cilan suggested they just watch the match together and she agreed. they really should have an episode where she gets some type of development, and hopefully this loss opens up her eyes to it.
    i could go on forever but i'll stop here.

I don't know about you people, but I felt like the way they handled type match-ups was insulting.

This tournament sure has been dissapointing.The most dissapointing thing has been Dawn&I'm a Dawn fan.

Let's see the only battle she wins and it's a 3 second match.

Her return episode was interesting.The next episode she did nothing of importance other than bond with Iris.Next episode was about Cilan being a detective with no importance of Dawn.Next episode the same with Dawn except it was Iris catching Dragonite.

Lastly, Dawn&Ash feel like strangers to one another since they barely have interacted with each other.

I hope that if she stays after the cup she does something memorable before she leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal_Qeca View Post
    Well... she got slapped in her face by Cilan. That was something.
    Why are you making that to be a big deal? Does it bother you that Dawn is doing so little?

What are you talking about? It was a joke! Your sense of humor today is a little rusty. You were the one who was complaining about Dawn's lack of spotlight in the spoiler section not me.

I like Dawn being around, she helps to improve the chemistry between the main cast which is already good. And I missed her so I'm actually pretty happy with her presence.

Finally watched the episode. I enjoyed it. I'm a bit more interested in Dragonite's role in the tournament now when watching it's battle, and knowing what's to come.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Well, that's my rant.
    I suspect the writers may want to keep Cilan for the next Gen, so they are holding back Burgundy's development and any Connoiseur so they don't spend it all.
    Help spread the Dragonbuster Love!
    Hail to Saint Georgia!

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    I suspect the writers may want to keep Cilan for the next Gen, so they are holding back Burgundy's development and any Connoiseur so they don't spend it all.
    I doubt that. I don't think the writers want another Brock on their hands. Burgundy is being treated as a joke because that's simply what her role is. We're not supposed to take her seriously

Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    I doubt that. I don't think the writers want another Brock on their hands. Burgundy is being treated as a joke because that's simply what her role is. We're not supposed to take her seriously
    RWB might have a point. Maybe that's why we have sudden surges of Iris "development" but not with Cilan.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast