Thread: OU Sun Team 1

Default OU Sun Team 1

So this is my first attempt at a sun team and after working at it I've placed 1659 on the PS simulator with it. Keep in mind im using a team with the item clause and with Pokemon i have a reasonable amount of access to, which sadly means no DW Venusar. So without further adew, my team. At a glance

So as you can see its a sun team, with a couple sweepers, a few walls and ninetails.

Now in depth we go,

Reverence (Ninetales) @ Expert Belt/Heat Rock
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Dark Pulse/Sunny Day
    - Energy Ball/Solarbeam
    - Protect
    The idea of this ninetails is to obviously set up the weather, and put holes in the opposing team with max speed and sp.attack it can easily one or in most cases two hit ko most pokes. (Note all the second items and attacks go together as a second set).
    The idea behind the second set is to turn the weather wars when politoad and t-tar show their ugly faces only to be greeted by a sunny day to ruin their days.

Sloth (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Flame Charge
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Dragon Pulse
    Heatran is here to do two things; Stop dragons from rampaging and go on a killing spree. After one flame charge it outspeeds most threats in the ou and between its other three attacks it can hit hard anything that tries to come in on it before it can do a thing.

Innocence (Sawsbuck) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Double-Edge
    - Jump Kick
    - Horn Leech
    This is my Chlorophyll sweeper. Its purpose is to rip apart the opposing team with a swords dance and speed higher than most if not all scarf users, if jump kick or horn leech wont do it double edge will almost always ohko. In my experience much better than the standard Venusaur set, which is completely walled by any Heatran.

Envy (Infernape) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Mach Punch
    - Flare Blitz
    - Close Combat
    Now this Infernape set must look very strange at first being completely walled by Chanduleer and disable Gengar, however odd it may seem, it is a near perfect revenge-killer. With a fake out mach punch combo, most of the time that is enough damage to ko whatever needs to be swept up. Flare Blitz for a stab sun boosted attack and close combat for a hard hitting fighting attack, as long as this set is used properly one can make up for the lack of coverage.

Greed (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 72 Spd / 184 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Protect
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Fang
    - Swords Dance
    This is a standard annoying Gliscor defensive swords dance set, which fits perfectly into the defensive hole in my team. With a swords dance it can put some serious damage on anything not prepared to handle it however beware, faster special users such as the latitwins can put some serious damage on it if not careful.

Jealousy (Volcarona) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flame Body
    EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Quiver Dance
    - Bug Buzz
    - Morning Sun
    - Fiery Dance
    This is the crown of the team. My stat boosting special sweeper, its a little bulky so it can take a couple hits so it can dance then heal away any damage its taken. Fiery dance in the sun hits like a truck and bug buzz to give it another stab attack, and nice coverage against things like latitwins and Tyranitar(apparently a lot of people do not understand that bug is super effective against dark). EDIT*: This Volcarona is bulky enough to get a quiver dance off at 50% damage from the stealth rock weakness against most supereffective attacks in the sun. After one quiver dance it is fast enough to outpace most of the meta game and because of this, a Rapid Spinner is no longer nessisary.

I would like the most honest critisism no matter how brutal it may be. Thank you for your time. Also on a side note, the nicknames are themed after vices and virtues in case you were wondering.)

THE FOLLOWING POKEMON ARE HONORABLE MENTIONS AND NO LONGER ON THE TEAM.

I dropped this Donphan set for the Heatran set above.

Sloth (Donphan) @ Muscle Band
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    This Donphan is a spinner, rapid spin to clear the way for the rest of the team to come in safely, toxic to put some residual damage on anything that tries to set up on it, stealth rock to set up my own rocks and earthquake for a stab attack.
    Last edited by Vice.Virtue; 3rd August 2012 at 6:16 AM.
    Gen 6 breeder currently collecting ha samples and accepting contracts.

I would change Morning Sun to Roost on your Volcarona. Reasoning being that Morning Sun is fantastic under the sun, but what about the times you lose the weather war? Roost is a lot more consistent and doesn't depend on having sun up to have good heals. And if there's anyway you can get a DW Venusaur, I'd try that out with a mixed set. Sleep powder, then Growth for boosts (Boosts SpA and Atk by 2 stages under sun), and then Earthquake (great on Heatran!) and either Solarbeam or Giga Drain. Pretty sure Giga Drain is legal again with Chlorophyll (though I'm not 100% sure). I also think you should try out U-Turn, instead of CC or Mach Punch. Helps keep momentum. And now that I'm thinking of it, I would change Gliscor to Gastrodon or some other bulky water type (Maybe Jellicent, nice spin blocker). At the moment, water will roll over your team after Sawsbuck is down, with all 5 other Pokemon being weak to water.
    3ds FC: 5370-1459-8135
    5IV Bred Pokemon:
    Jolly Sneasel with Fake Out and Ice Punch
    Calm/Modest Rotom
    Jolly Gible with Sand Tomb, Dragon Claw, and Outrage
    Impish Klefki
    Modest Chlorophyll Bulbasaur
    Jolly Skill Link Cloyster with Icicle Spear, Rapid Spin, and Rock Blast
    Adamant HA Dratini

Quote Originally Posted by mparr65 View Post
    I would change Morning Sun to Roost on your Volcarona. Reasoning being that Morning Sun is fantastic under the sun, but what about the times you lose the weather war? Roost is a lot more consistent and doesn't depend on having sun up to have good heals. And if there's anyway you can get a DW Venusaur, I'd try that out with a mixed set. Sleep powder, then Growth for boosts (Boosts SpA and Atk by 2 stages under sun), and then Earthquake (great on Heatran!) and either Solarbeam or Giga Drain. Pretty sure Giga Drain is legal again with Chlorophyll (though I'm not 100% sure). I also think you should try out U-Turn, instead of CC or Mach Punch. Helps keep momentum. And now that I'm thinking of it, I would change Gliscor to Gastrodon or some other bulky water type (Maybe Jellicent, nice spin blocker). At the moment, water will roll over your team after Sawsbuck is down, with all 5 other Pokemon being weak to water.
    Not a bad idea but ive tested the team enough to say i win the weather wars most of the time, the other half of the time im playing against a weatherless team so im almost always getting a 66% boost from it.

Now you have 7 Pokes up there. For some reason I don't think that's legal! :P
    3ds FC: 5370-1459-8135
    5IV Bred Pokemon:
    Jolly Sneasel with Fake Out and Ice Punch
    Calm/Modest Rotom
    Jolly Gible with Sand Tomb, Dragon Claw, and Outrage
    Impish Klefki
    Modest Chlorophyll Bulbasaur
    Jolly Skill Link Cloyster with Icicle Spear, Rapid Spin, and Rock Blast
    Adamant HA Dratini

Quote Originally Posted by mparr65 View Post
    Now you have 7 Pokes up there. For some reason I don't think that's legal! :P
    Ahh no i edited and im showing the donphan set i used to run, ill make it more obvious hes no longer on the team