Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526
Results 626 to 640 of 640

Thread: Cheating on your partner.. is it as wrong as people make it out to be

  1. #626
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    "No, cheating is never okay in any type of relationship, even if you're just dating casually. The only time you should have relations with someone other than your partner is if you talk to your partner and you both agree that having sex with other people is acceptable. This isn't a complicated concept."

    How can you "cheat" if you're just casually dating? You can only cheat on someone in a relationship where both of you have agreed to remain exlusive to one another and not see other people/have sexual relations with other people. Up until the point where both parties have that discussion, it really seems like fair game.

    It makes absolutely no sense to me why I should be expected to remain exclusive to someone if I've only been on two or three casual dates with them, like coffee or the movies and such. If you don't want the person you're seeing to be banging other people, it's your responsibility to speak up about what you want and lay out ground rules.
    Last edited by Qyxew; 15th April 2013 at 9:00 AM.

  2. #627
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qyxew View Post
    "No, cheating is never okay in any type of relationship, even if you're just dating casually. The only time you should have relations with someone other than your partner is if you talk to your partner and you both agree that having sex with other people is acceptable. This isn't a complicated concept."

    How can you "cheat" if you're just casually dating? You can only cheat on someone in a relationship where both of you have agreed to remain exlusive to one another and not see other people/have sexual relations with other people. Up until the point where both parties have that discussion, it really seems like fair game.

    It makes absolutely no sense to me why I should be expected to remain sexually exclusive to someone if I've only been on two or three casual dates with them, like coffee or the movies and such. If you don't want the person you're seeing to be banging other people, it's your responsibility to speak up about what you want and lay out ground rules.
    Well, casually dating is the start of a relationship, the start of being boyfriend and girlfriend.

    And it's not like people are only meant to be exclusive to each other when agreeing on that, it's the other way around. Having sex with others than your partner is not okay, unless you and your partner agree on that. Like Psychic said, a relationship is assumed to be monogamous by default.

  3. #628
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    How does two coffe dates make someone my "partner"? They aren't my partner. We aren't in a relationship. We are simply two people with mutual interest in one another exploring whether said interest could possibly go anywhere. Granted relationships are usually considered monogamous by default, but I fail to understand how casually dating in it's infancy (The first 2 to 3 dates and such) is by any stretch of the imagination a "relationship" of any kind.

    When you are just dating a person, you don't know that person yet, so how are you to know that the two of you are even going to be together? You are just in that 'getting to know you' phase where you find out whether or not you want to be in a romantic relationship with that person, and that person only. So you usually don't want to just start off saying 'okay, you're my boyfriend now! You can't see anyone else and neither can I!' because you don't know whether or not your relationship is going to go anywhere. Dating is kind of like shopping for candy bars. You may see a candy bar that you think you like and pick it up, but then, you see another candy bar a few shelves down that you like even more, and you buy that bar. When you are dating a person, you're kind of picking up the bar and examining it to see if you want to commit to purchasing it and eating it, if that makes any sense to you.

    Courtship isn't what it was in the 50's, it's a fairly common thing for people to date more than one person at a time. It is by no means a safe bet whatsoever to simply assume that the person you've been on a few dates with could not possibly be dating other people in today's culture. Especially with the rise of online dating. Now as far getting intimate with multiple people, then sure, I'll definitley concede that if that's something you want, you should be up front from the get go and be honest about what you want, and if they're okay with it, then cool. The only reason I say that is because of STD's and risk factors involved, otherwise I wouldn't even give you that. Though, still, you would think that you'd be smart and get tested before having sexual relations with someone, but eh. I digress.
    Last edited by Qyxew; 15th April 2013 at 9:34 AM.

  4. #629
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    9,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qyxew
    The only reason I say that is because of STD's and risk factors involved, otherwise I wouldn't even give you that.
    Really? You wouldn't consider multiple partners something people should be honest about outside of diseases? Or am I interpreting this wrong?
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

  5. #630
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    715

    Default

    I tend to agree with Qyxew, if the parameters of the relationship in its early stages aren't discussed I can not see how it would constitute as cheating. 2-3 dates in, to me, does not qualify that as a relationship. what would be an acceptable time frame? a month?

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    Really? You wouldn't consider multiple partners something people should be honest about outside of diseases? Or am I interpreting this wrong?
    I am a little lost on that as well...

    B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  6. #631

    Default

    Huh... Well im just going to throw this out there. I am a HUGE slu*. But atleast I admit it, HOWEVER I also think cheating is 100% wrong. And when I am out and about having fun its when im NOT in a relationship. Cheating is just wrong, thats like going up to your mom or dad and telling them you have a better one.
    POKEMON X

    SO EXCITED FOR GEN 6, HAVE NOT BEEN THIS EXCITED SINCE GEN 3 AND 4, ALSO HAVE NOT PLAYED AS THE GIRL SINCE THEN.

  7. #632
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Really? You wouldn't consider multiple partners something people should be honest about outside of diseases? Or am I interpreting this wrong?
    Well, there's a difference between being honest about something and keeping things on a need to know basis.

    It's sort of difficult to articulate, but I'll do my best. If it's already common for people to date multiple people at once, and it's not really safe to assume someone you're dating casually is seeing only you, then sex isn't that far off. If I were dating someone, let's say two or three casual dates (nothing serious at all) and I discovered he had a brief fling, I would be more offended at the fact if we started having sex and he never disclosed that information to me my health would be at risk, [italics]not[/italics] because I believe my two casual dates laid claim to any sort of sexual exclusivity over him. That's why I think Qyxew digressed, is because only in an ideal world does everybody get tested and have perfectly safe sex. If they did however, given my scenario once more and a relationship developed, that fling I mention would be nothing more than an added number to a partners sexual history, and it wouldn't really be fair to dismiss someone simply based on a particular sexual encounters proximity to a potential relationship evolving, because that's completely arbitrary.
    Last edited by maleficium; 15th April 2013 at 3:29 PM.

  8. #633
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    Also, please do not call people "it" - just because someone doesn't define themself as male or female does not make them an "it." That is quite disrespectful and dehumanizing.
    Anything is, by definition, "it". "it" simply refers to a previously mentioned noun, preferably in a way that makes it clear what noun is being referred to. It's a great word when writing about a general human, because it's gender neutral.

  9. #634
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Off doing something important
    Posts
    4,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qyxew View Post
    "No, cheating is never okay in any type of relationship, even if you're just dating casually. The only time you should have relations with someone other than your partner is if you talk to your partner and you both agree that having sex with other people is acceptable. This isn't a complicated concept."

    How can you "cheat" if you're just casually dating? You can only cheat on someone in a relationship where both of you have agreed to remain exlusive to one another and not see other people/have sexual relations with other people. Up until the point where both parties have that discussion, it really seems like fair game.

    It makes absolutely no sense to me why I should be expected to remain exclusive to someone if I've only been on two or three casual dates with them, like coffee or the movies and such. If you don't want the person you're seeing to be banging other people, it's your responsibility to speak up about what you want and lay out ground rules.
    I was not referring to casual dating as "has been on two/three casual dates." Obviously, this is not a monogamous relationship. I was referring to someone you have been casually dating for some time, just as Darth Wheatly defined it as the "activity of going on dates: the activity of going out regularly with somebody as a social or romantic partner." As you can see, we both used the singular noun "partner."

    That said, if you're having sex with someone you've just been on a few casual dates with, then yes, you should be aware of things such as their health status and whether or not they are seeing/sleeping with other people.


    Quote Originally Posted by jakeypride View Post
    Huh... Well im just going to throw this out there. I am a HUGE slu*. But atleast I admit it, HOWEVER I also think cheating is 100% wrong. And when I am out and about having fun its when im NOT in a relationship. Cheating is just wrong, thats like going up to your mom or dad and telling them you have a better one.
    How much sex you have and whether or not you cheat on your partner are two totally unrelated things. I sincerely hope nobody assumes you would cheat just because you have multiple partners - if they do, shame on them. That said, the term "slut" tends to have unfortunate, entirely unrelated connotations, and is used in some pretty awful ways (like victim blaming). But that's another story.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Anything is, by definition, "it". "it" simply refers to a previously mentioned noun, preferably in a way that makes it clear what noun is being referred to. It's a great word when writing about a general human, because it's gender neutral.
    Firstly, I have yet to see humans referred to as "it"s. Even if you're saying something like "the worker" or "the CEO," you don't later refer to them as "it." In English, humans (and sometimes animals) only get gendered pronouns; "it" is a non-gendered pronoun that refers to an object. Thus, when you say "it" in English, it is assumed you are referring to an object.

    Secondly, I said "it" is dehumanizing because transgenered people, intersex people, androgynous people and so on have been called things like this that are incredibly disrespectful and dehumanizing. It's most likely Darth Wheatly was referring to such people by including "it." I respect the fact that Darth was trying to be inclusive in this way, but they simply used the wrong pronoun. (See - Darth's gender is undisclosed, but I'm not referring to them as "it.")

    So, to clarify, the poster said "make sure you are going to marry the right Girl/Guy/It." Instead, they should have said "marry the right girl/guy/person." Not only is it more inclusive, but it's also grammatically correct.

    If anyone wants to continue this conversation, here is not the place.

    ~Psychic

    Pokéthon was a huge success! Check out our Facebook page for photos from the event!

  10. #635
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    9,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maleficium View Post
    If they did however, given my scenario once more and a relationship developed, that fling I mention would be nothing more than an added number to a partners sexual history, and it wouldn't really be fair to dismiss someone simply based on a particular sexual encounters proximity to a potential relationship evolving, because that's completely arbitrary.
    This is what I'm still misunderstanding I think..

    You said given a relationship developed... if the fling happened before it, woopee.

    But if it happened during it, and STD's didn't exist, what then?

    I suppose I'm just looking at it more as an honesty/awareness standpoint.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

  11. #636
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    644

    Default

    To answer short, sweet, and to the point, I think cheating on a partner is completely unnacceptable.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†



    Christianity is a Relationship with our true God, Jesus. It's not a Religion. Copy and paste If you agree

    Registeel is mine, yay!

    Adventure of Adventureness & Awesome of Awesomeness: Smashing the 4th wall into gazillion pieces since 2010. - Sig too long, so Mod a cropped it

  12. #637
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    59

    Default

    all depends on the circumstances, i would generaly be offended, but if the person wanted badly to stay in a relationship with me, and my being with them, i would probably overlook it once.
    [IMG]http://i33.*******.com/vqjxj5.jpg[/IMG] wow fantastic baby [IMG]http://i33.*******.com/vqjxj5.jpg[/IMG]

  13. #638
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Whether you love your partner or just started a serious relationship, once you make that commitment it shouldn't be broken unless both of you decide on another agreement (or brake up). Now obviously cheating would be to get with another woman or man without your partners consent. If your partner allows it, then lucky you (here you assume I'm a guy, and correct you are). When I say partner, I'm talking about a person you decided to share a closed relationship with. This is different from dating. I believe dating different people at a time is ok, as long as no promises are made. It's ok to have options before choosing. I'll put this all in one sentence; I would date different women at a time (but this never happens) and get to know them, but in the end I would only commit to one and let the others go. Case in point, my opinion, cheating is not allowed in my world.
    LOOKING FOR ITEMS? I GOT YOU COVERED
    For those still playing 4th Gen: Tired of searching the wild for held items? Hit me up. Shards, Stones, Lights Balls, even Soul Dews. Also offering every Non Legendary for your Pokedex Completion. PM me with Offers and Requests

    I HAVE CLAIMED BAHAMUT, KING OF SUMMONS
    FC 1550 8079 7411

  14. #639
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mandi. View Post
    I know many people aren't truly in love with their partner which I could probably understand why cheating would happen. But when you are TRULY in love with somebody, yet still manage to cheat and sleep with other men or woman? What is going through your head?

    To end my post, I'll ask the main question.
    What are you views on cheating?
    To your first point, people who do cheat aren't truly in love. Because if they were, they wouldn't feel the need to cheat.

    And to the main question: Well, it's simple. It's wrong to do. There are no excuses to justify cheating. If you don't want to be bound to a single person, then don't start a relationship with them.

    edit: To add a bit more to my post. I think cheating happens more often the younger people are in a relationship. Younger people tend to be less serious, acting more on impulse and not thinking of the consequences of their actions. They often don't know what they really want from a partner yet. They are more willing, and able to, to take risks at young age.
    The older you get, the less risks you can take, because it becomes harder to form new relationships. At older age, a lot of people have established relationships already, so it's harder to find someone who hasn't. Also, you know better what you want from a person, so you're less willing to try a relationship with someone who simply looks pretty.
    Of course it's also that younger people have been together much shorter, not having had enough time to develop a serious relationship yet. While older people in a relationship have often been together for many years, and the longer you've been together, the less likely you're going to even think about separating. You've built a strong bond with your partner at that age.
    Last edited by Milennin; 4th April 2014 at 12:47 PM.

  15. #640
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    drinking sex on the beach
    Posts
    10,029

    Default

    dont bump extremely old threads

    be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

    Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •