Thread: Is Pikachu That Strong (Really?)

Default Is Pikachu That Strong (Really?)

Is really that strong? The anime has led us to believe that is special in some way, but I don't know if I see it. Ash has lost the last three leagues with his as his final Pokémon. And, in addition, was swiftly defeated by Giovanni's . There was actually a particular twist of irony in that defeat because Team Rocket had pursued him through four regions for his supposed special power.
    Really, I just don't know if I think is that strong anymore. I suppose the greatest thing he ever did was defeat Brandon's , but hasn't displayed that sort of power in a while. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by OceanWaterOtter; 10th January 2013 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm Oshawott!
    And quite naturally I rock.
    Who are you?

...Let's be friends...
    5386-9386-3644

I keep feeling we're led to believe Pikachu is some special kind of Pikachu but at the rate he wins and loses battles, he's not that special at all.

Pikachu is as strong as the writers need him to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Staff View Post
    Pikachu is as strong as the writers need him to be.
    That applies with every Pokemon though, it's obvious the OP is talking storywise.

He COULD be stronger if he would accept a thunderstone. Then again he wouldn't be able to ride on ash's shoulder. And now that I think about it didn't Ritchie's Pikachu beat ashes Charizard. Even if Charizard didn't attack cause he was an ignorant jerk that's still a feat.

I'd like to see Pikachu and Sparky square off.

Learn to Pokemon Ash!!!
    Last edited by Dragoniss; 10th January 2013 at 9:51 PM.

NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    That applies with every Pokemon though, it's obvious the OP is talking storywise.
    Story-wise, he fluctuates in power because he's as strong/weak as the writers want him to be.

Didn't Pikachu lost his strength like twice now? (I forget the first time.. Then the 2nd time at the beginning of Best Wishes where Pikachu lost to a snivy?)
    I agree, Pikachu lost his specialness. Ash lost the league AGAIN. I'm seriously fed up with the anime's formula now, I kept trying to give the Anime a chance but now they are in a repetitive cycle where nothing is interesting anymore. Ash never gets close to champion, he see's EVERY. SINGLE. FREAKIN. LEGENDARY. And doesn't catch ONE! And he leaves all his Pokemon with Professor Oak, it doesn't keep the Anime fresh anymore they need to stop pretending that all his other adventures never existed to the newer audience.
    3DS FC: 2277-6826-8301

Looking for....
    Shiny Rayquaza from nobunaga event

Quote Originally Posted by illucio View Post
    Didn't Pikachu lost his strength like twice now? (I forget the first time.. Then the 2nd time at the beginning of Best Wishes where Pikachu lost to a snivy?)
    I agree, Pikachu lost his specialness. Ash lost the league AGAIN. I'm seriously fed up with the anime's formula now, I kept trying to give the Anime a chance but now they are in a repetitive cycle where nothing is interesting anymore. Ash never gets close to champion, he see's EVERY. SINGLE. FREAKIN. LEGENDARY. And doesn't catch ONE! And he leaves all his Pokemon with Professor Oak, it doesn't keep the Anime fresh anymore they need to stop pretending that all his other adventures never existed to the newer audience.
    I totally agree! Uhg, it's so refreshing to see someone else who agrees. There has been absolutely no development for Pikachu nor Ash! It really says something when a story has become so long that the characters regress.
    I'm Oshawott!
    And quite naturally I rock.
    Who are you?

...Let's be friends...
    5386-9386-3644

Pikachu is as strong as the writers want it to be.

Sometimes it's convenient for it to be super strong,other times it's more convenient for it to be weak...it's all plot.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanWaterOtter View Post
    I totally agree! Uhg, it's so refreshing to see someone else who agrees. There has been absolutely no development for Pikachu nor Ash! It really says something when a story has become so long that the characters regress.
    I agree.Ash and Pikachu are going nowhere,even if they're travelling so much.Ash isn't even a character anymore but a mere representation of the male protagonist from the games.

I'm sorry...the anime needs to change.There can still be a succesful anime without Pikachu.With so many mascots and marketable pkmn,come on...it's not all dependant on Ash and Pikachu.I think the anime has moved past that,has evolved in that regard.Pikachu can still be a mascot,just not appear in the anime.I know...it sounds impossible,like I'm talking about dancing elephants or something,but it's logical.Ash isn't a good character anymore!!Thus,he needs to go.And I'm sensing a wrapping up with TR returning to normal,Charizard returning etc etc...I think the whole Ash,Pikachu,TR chapter is finally closing.

People thought the earth was flat...turns out they're wrong.
    Last edited by Nacreous; 10th January 2013 at 10:21 PM.

"Fear is Freedom!
    Subjugation is Liberation!
    Contradiction is Truth!
    These are the truths of the world! Surrender to these truths, you pigs in human clothing!"

Well it tied with a Latios and like you said defeated Brandons Regice I think it's strong enough considering it's a Pikachu

Quote Originally Posted by pokechamp95 View Post
    Well it tied with a Latios and like you said defeated Brandons Regice I think it's strong enough considering it's a Pikachu
    But it lost to a tired Lucario while it itself took almost no damage from Samurott and Swanna
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    But it lost to a tired Lucario while it itself took almost no damage from Samurott and Swanna
    Two of its moves weren't good against it and DEM evolving for the Lucario. Pikachu is like the superman of pokemon hes only good when the writers want him to be and his power level is inconsistent :|

Yeah really.

Quote Originally Posted by pokechamp95 View Post
    Two of its moves weren't good against it and DEM evolving for the Lucario. Pikachu is like the superman of pokemon hes only good when the writers want him to be and his power level is inconsistent :|
    That's no different then Charizard losing to Dusclops and Bulbasaur beating said Dusclops

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    Yeah really.
    Are you more surprised that this isn't a Cyber thread or that the episode today has sparked quite a few pointless threads ^^;
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by illucio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanWaterOtter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nacreous View Post
    Pikachu is as strong as the writers want it to be.

Sometimes it's convenient for it to be super strong,other times it's more convenient for it to be weak...it's all plot.

I agree.Ash and Pikachu are going nowhere,even if they're travelling so much.Ash isn't even a character anymore but a mere representation of the male protagonist from the games.

I'm sorry...the anime needs to change.There can still be a succesful anime without Pikachu.With so many mascots and marketable pkmn,come on...it's not all dependant on Ash and Pikachu.I think the anime has moved past that,has evolved in that regard.Pikachu can still be a mascot,just not appear in the anime.I know...it sounds impossible,like I'm talking about dancing elephants or something,but it's logical.Ash isn't a good character anymore!!Thus,he needs to go.And I'm sensing a wrapping up with TR returning to normal,Charizard returning etc etc...I think the whole Ash,Pikachu,TR chapter is finally closing.

I agree with you three, especially since i am pretty sure that most of the newer fanbase do know about ash's past adventures do to these beautiful things found on the internet like oh gee i dont know YOUTUBE FOR INSTANCE!!! and then there is POKEMON.COM ITSELF!!!(not 100% if it applies to the japanese pokemon.com but still) and on tv they occasionally play a little thing called reruns, then there is the fact that it wouldnt surprise me if ash's older pokemon( with the exceptions of charizard, squirtle, and maybe bulbasaur) are losing skill because they dont train and are basically being neglected! heck it wouldnt surprise me if some of ash's older pokemon are beginning to lose respect for their trainer do to the fact he never calls on them and never trains them such as kingler and muk.
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

Pikachu tied with a Latios in Sinnoh. So yeah it can be strong. Hell it should be, its just that the writers make it weak or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    That's no different then Charizard losing to Dusclops and Bulbasaur beating said Dusclops
    Ok you got me there but the moves they used were regularly effective besides seismic toss >3> but I dont want to go into all the minor details about how the two battles were different here on this thread but what i was trying to say with my op was that with what Pikachu does I think we should give it a little slack I mean after all it's accomplishes yes you would expect more of it but it wouldn't be fun to see it beat EVERYTHING that it faces.

Even though I basically agree for the most part, I think the writing staff (and Nintendo) would be too afraid to let go of Ash and Pikachu. Maybe if they do it little by little until they finally phase
    the anime out. Such as getting rid of Brock being a step in the right direction. Also, if they truly get rid of Team Rocket after this saga, then that'll be that for them. Hopefully, they can also close Ash and Pikachu's story out, but that'd be tougher for them, methinks.

Even though I basically agree for the most part, I think the writing staff (and Nintendo) would be too afraid to let go of Ash and Pikachu. Maybe if they do it little by little until they finally phase
    the anime out. Such as getting rid of Brock being a step in the right direction. Also, if they truly get rid of Team Rocket after this saga, then that'll be that for them. Hopefully, they can also close Ash and Pikachu's story out, but that'd be tougher for them, methinks.
    As I said,the anime has evolved past NEEDING Pikachu and Ash.They are irrelevant.

"Fear is Freedom!
    Contradiction is Truth!
    These are the truths of the world! Surrender to these truths, you pigs in human clothing!"

As I said,the anime has evolved past NEEDING Pikachu and Ash.They are irrelevant.
    I agree. But the executives and the anime staff are probably too afraid to take a risk and re-do the show.

I agree. But the executives and the anime staff are probably too afraid to take a risk and re-do the show.
    I think they tested the audience with that BW2 trailer...I see that as a little experiment to see if it would be wise to move into that direction.And the trailer was received more than well,let's face it.
    Last edited by Nacreous; 10th January 2013 at 11:32 PM.

"Fear is Freedom!
    Contradiction is Truth!

I think they tested the audience with that BW2 trailer...I see that as a little experiment so see if it would be wise to move into that direction.And the trailer was received more than well,let's face it.
    Yeah. I saw it and really yearned for a show that was basically that.

I hope they do consider making the anime more like that, even if they continue using Ash. I would prefer something with more action and adventure than 'oh lets go to another COTD and save their miltank farm' or whatever.

And so, this became "Revolutionize the Anime thread #93483294823898".

As for Pikachu, feel free to use this: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...-Ash-s-Pikachu

Run for your lives.

tumblr - livejournal