Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about Ash losing every tournament in Unova?

Normally i would try to be optimistic and say that Ash will make it to the Unova League finals, but DP dashed my hopes against the rocks the minute Tobias sent out Latios, I think the writers are just stuck as to what to do about Ash, and it seems they'd rather focus on building up the characters around him

I've made my peace with Ash being reset every saga so I'm fine with him losing these tournaments. I like that other characters are getting built up with them. Iris got the first one, Bianca and Stephan got the second and Iris and Trip are getting this one. They still need to have two more, one where Cilan and Burgundy shine and one where Georgia wins. I see these more as this saga's answer to contests anyway. Ash doesn't need to take everything. Him entering is still a good thing though, at least he wins a few rounds giving his pokemon a few extra wins. He gets eight gyms, isn't that enough?

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

I wouldn't say Ash losing is that big of a deal in all fairness.

Club Battle: Again, Ash did lose here however he improved and came 2nd after earning a place in the finals. Yet again, he was at a type disadvantage as Pikachu is weak against Excadrill's Ground type moves.

Clubsplosion/Donamite: Ash came in the Top 4 of a tournament. Which is still very high, especially since he managed to earn a place in the semi-finals of the competition. His Scraggy then lost to Throh but Scraggy is part Dark Type so it had a typing disadvantage anyway.

Junior World Cup: Again, Ash lost but he came 2nd and earned a position in the finals of a tournament, a huge accomplishment.

Ash's losses are no big deal in my eyes. Clubsplosion and Club Battle were due to type disadvantages and he did earn a place in the Semi Finals at the least. As for Junior World Cup, it's yet to be confirmed how much of a clean sweep the match will be but until Ash ends up in the bottom of the tournament bracket or performs extremely badly there is nothing wrong with the occasional loss.
    Last edited by EspNeon; 10th August 2012 at 12:00 AM.

Ash gets the onscreen Gym battles. Let the other characters have their day in the sun. He's not the be-all, end-all of the anime.

Also, you mixed up Club Battle and Clubsplosion.
    Pokemon Y Friend Code: 3282-3535-2249

Friend Safari: Pansage, Petilil, Gogoat

As of now, my focus is on Safaris with starters (barring Wartortle and Quilladin), but give me your Safari anyway. Chances are I'll find something interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Curran View Post
    Why can't the anime producers realise we won't give a sh*t if they replace ash. By all means do it, replace him with someone who is the complete opposite of him. Perhaps Hilbert or even bringing back Jimmy.
    Speak for yourself, and yourself only.

Because will give a crap about Ash if he's replaced.

While I would watch any Pokemon anime without Ash, it will never in my eyes, ever be as successful even if I was the driving force behind this new anime.

Because I don't give two ****s about some freaking carbon copy of Ash starting brand new and doing the same damn thing Ash does.

Do you think the Black and White protagonist, would be any different. He'd have some stupid starter, he'd have the same Pokemon as Ash (perhaps with a few differences), he would generally act the same as Ash, only look different.

Not to mention Ash not being able to catch future generation of Pokemon really sucks.

I want to see Ash catching Pokemon XYZ not carbon copy Ash.
    ----------------------------------

About the first tournament, I have to agree with those who said that Pikachu could not believably have beaten Excadrill (not unless Excadrill took damage from a different Pokemon). I would've moaned and whined had Pikachu beaten Excadrill. What I didn't like is Iris being in the finals in the first place since she never should've won the semi finals which led to her being in the finals.
    --------

I don't like how Ash hasn't won anything outside of gym battles.

People say that's enough, but they keep forgetting. Ash will always have won gym battles. So they don't mean anything when you think about it. Especially since Ash didn't really deserve that Toxic Badge.

A battle tournament, a mini league, Ash has to win at least once, because Ash will never win the league, so why can't he win these battle tournaments? I'm not saying he should win all of them. But you know I think he should win at least 25% and more of them.

Besides tournaments >>>>>> Gym Battles any day. Because another think you people are forgetting, Ash could easily battle gym leaders whenever he wants. And they aren't the best gauge of strength, especially since looking at the 8th gym, it shows that Ash isn't ready for the league.

Winning a tournament with other battle competitors, would show off that strength.

The one thing I dislike about these tournaments, is the 1 vs 1 format. That's the only thing gym in this generation have over the battle tournaments.

That said there needs to be more random battles. I feel as if Ash should've had a full battle already.

I rather hate how full battles are rare. Personally I would like 2 full battles before the league. I don't care if Ash loses in those 2 full battles, BUT as long as they aren't like the full battle between Ash and Paul at Lake Acuity.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Speak for yourself, and yourself only.

Because will give a crap about Ash if he's replaced.

While I would watch any Pokemon anime without Ash, it will never in my eyes, ever be as successful even if I was the driving force behind this new anime.

Because I don't give two ****s about some freaking carbon copy of Ash starting brand new and doing the same damn thing Ash does.

Do you think the Black and White protagonist, would be any different. He'd have some stupid starter, he'd have the same Pokemon as Ash (perhaps with a few differences), he would generally act the same as Ash, only look different.

Not to mention Ash not being able to catch future generation of Pokemon really sucks.

I want to see Ash catching Pokemon XYZ not carbon copy Ash.
    Well to be honest, if there was a new protagonist, he/she wouldn't necessarily be the same as Ash.

There are tons of directions and personalities they could go with a new character.

I am glad they are doing it. Sure it's nice to see Ash win once in awhile but it's not exactly fun to see Ash win everything over and over again

I'm getting a little bit pissed off cause he doesn't even know how to win a tournament when he's wishing to be the greatest Pokemon master ever.

Credit to Riataro from EGC

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

I do wish he would've won one of the tournaments, hopefully there is still one more tournament at least. Though it would probably be won by Cilan/Bianca.
    "Heart + Determination + Perserverence = Success" ™

My Philosophical quote on goals and dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost471 View Post
    I am glad they are doing it. Sure it's nice to see Ash win once in awhile but it's not exactly fun to see Ash win everything over and over again
    The problem with this is that he isn't winning any of them. I thought that these Don thingys were supposed to be originally for him to train but everyone else to taking over. However, it will make me feel aweful if Ash was to lose yet another league plus to have lost all of these mini competitions. That's what gets me feeling down.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    The problem with this is that he isn't winning any of them. I thought that these Don thingys were supposed to be originally for him to train but everyone else to taking over. However, it will make me feel aweful if Ash was to lose yet another league plus to have lost all of these mini competitions. That's what gets me feeling down.
    But that's all they are, "mini competitions." Ash has got to the semi's in two, and the quarter's in the other so I don't really see the problem.

I don't have any issues w/ him losing in those tournaments, he only entered them for fun plus the prizes seems uninteresting and I doubt he'll use them.:P

Ash not winning tournaments is fine with me, Ash using 6 pokémon to beat only 3 pokémon in a Gym Battle is way worse in my opinion.

It doesn't matter to me at all. I'm still entertained, that's all I really care about.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Ash not winning tournaments is fine with me, Ash using 6 pokémon to beat only 3 pokémon in a Gym Battle is way worse in my opinion.
    I agree. It seemed out of character for him to accept a handicap.

Of course, we know the real reason he accepted the handicap: more screentime for his Pokemon, even if half of them got completely slaughtered. Some is better then none?

Quote Originally Posted by An00bis View Post
    I agree. It seemed out of character for him to accept a handicap.

Of course, we know the real reason he accepted the handicap: more screentime for his Pokemon, even if half of them got completely slaughtered. Some is better then none?
    Exactly. But since it was a two-parter, they easily could've made it into a 6 vs. 6 battle. I mean it was his eight badge for crying out loud. Where's the Volkner-action, or the Juan-lenght battles?

Although I miss DP Ash, the one I less liked was AG Ash, then the Best Wishes one.
    Shiny Pokémon (47)

Shiny Event Pokémon (11)

Quote Originally Posted by Royal_Qeca View Post
    Although I miss DP Ash, the one I less liked was AG Ash, then the Best Wishes one.
    And why is that exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    Alright it is true he isn't winning anything right now but maybe this means he is gonna make a big comeback in the league. Maybe this season he can finally do the elite four challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Royal_Qeca View Post
    Its the same guy, this one is just funnier because of the better group.

its been confirmed that the 9th episode is trip vs alder serperior vs boufalant so trip does beat ash

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    And why is that exactly?
    I just felt that he was being portrayed as a more naive character and it shouldn't be that way. Even though I liked May and Max and all the nice chemistry between the main cast, I always looked at him as a boring trainer with an uninteresting team (my opinion as a kid). At least when Battle Frontier started my mind changed for better.

And maybe because I don't find any great memorable scene with Ash involved in AG. That's something that doesn't happen in OS or DP (I'm not gonna mention BW because it would be stupid to say that lol). But yeah, concluding Best Wishes Ash is just the same guy but "funnier" (and more immature) than DP Ash.
    Last edited by Royal_Qeca; 10th August 2012 at 6:27 PM.
    Shiny Pokémon (47)

Shiny Event Pokémon (11)

I find it disappointing that Ash will probably loose the tournaments in Unova. It just shows you that the series is becoming very stale. I find it annoying that Ash's character was basically rebooted for the Unova series. The show has become so predictable, and what is the point in watching the show when you already know how it is going to end? If Ash hasn't won any Pokemon Leagues at this point, then I doubt he ever will. I would say lets see what the next generation has to offer but we all know it will be the same thing all over again. Ash goes to new region, gets all different Pokemon and abandons his older Pokemon, Ash gets new traveling partners and looses in the Pokemon League. I think its time for them to end the show with Ash and reboot it with different characters completely or replace the writers and get better talent. This of course is my own opinion and many will probably disagree

I feel very weird, since the good old day Ash have win every competition he enter in except the league of course. And now seeing him lost all this tournament make me feel like he may actually win the league this time around!! (WHAT? Loosing all this tournament maybe leading him to victory for once)

Quote Originally Posted by spikyearedpichu View Post
    I feel very weird, since the good old day Ash have win every competition he enter in except the league of course. And now seeing him lost all this tournament make me feel like he may actually win the league this time around!! (WHAT? Loosing all this tournament maybe leading him to victory for once)
    I must say that I hope that is the case, and if it is, I think that it would save the series and rocket it up to one of the best since Ash actually accomplished something. He wouldn't even have to beat the Elite 4. Just winning the Unova League would be enough to show that he is progressing. Still, I think that if he does win the league, his losses in all of these tournaments should be referenced before going to the league and the show should show that Ash is learning from the mistakes he is making in these tournaments so he can win the league.
    Team Rocket will pay for their crimes.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast