Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #85

Default Community POTW #85

Time for another Pokémon of the Week. The RNG has spat out a good one this week

It's Crobat. Golbat's loveable evolution. It is ridiculously fast and capable of doing serious damage

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/169.shtml

Go nuts

Wallbreaker

Crobat
    Leftovers
    Jolly 252 Speed 252 Hp 4 Atk
    Taunt
    Roost
    Brave Bird
    Cross Poison/Super Fang/Toxic
    Last edited by csraito; 12th August 2012 at 2:18 PM.

Oh yes, I love this guy but get ready for the bat puns

Nasty Plot
    Nature: Modest
    EVs 252 sp att 252 speed 4 hp
    Item: Life Orb
    Nasty Plot
    Air Slash
    Heat Wave
    Sludge Bomb

Golbat is interesting too.

Golbat-Eviolite
    Bold 252HP 252Def/ 252HP 176Def 90SDef
    Super Fang
    Taunt
    Roost
    Brave Bird

I suppose he could be great in the lower tiers as a defensive pokemon. He's got Taunt, Hypnosis, and Super Fang, plus there's always Toxic. Good defensive staller?

3DS: 5413 1009 1553

Crobat's been banished to BL for the last two generations, but has been hampered by the constantly changing metagame. It works well as a stallbreaker, as it has decent defenses, a good typing, and almost unrivaled speed in UU and OU. It can also use a Choice Band with that incredible speed. Unfortunately, it has a Stealth Rock weakness, limiting its usefulness. If you use Crobat's niches though, you will be rewarded.

Abilities
    Inner Focus: Your immune to flinches. Not as useful as the other ability IMO. It does allow you to beat Fake Out Ambipom, which can be very annoying at times though.
    Infiltrator: A rather underrated ability. Allows you to Poison an opponent even if they are under the effects of Safeguard. It can also be used to beat teams that rely on screens.

Stallbreaker
    Ability: Infiltrator
    Item: Black Sludge
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    - Toxic / Super Fang
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Taunt

Standard stallbreaker that can beat things like Jellicent, Chansey, and Blissey. Toxic ruins the former, while Super Fang can wear down the latter two. It can also cripple its normal counter like Zapdos and Slowbro on the switch. Brave Bird is a general good move to wear down Jellicent in conjunction with Toxic, but Jellicent will win if Crobat gets burned. Roost gives Crobat reliable recovery. Taunt can shut down the first three aforementioned Pokemon, but Crobat will still have to watch out for Scald burns. An alternate EV spread of 176 HP / 192 Atk / 4 SpD / 136 Spe is worth considering to OHKO Scrafty with Stealth Rock, and still outspeed Azelf.

Choice Band
    Item: Choice Band
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Cross Poison
    - Brave Bird
    - U-Turn
    - Pursuit

This set was a bit more useful in DP, but still can be effective due Crobat's resistance and Immunity to the two most common attacking types in the game: Fighting and Ground. Cross Poison is STAB and has a nice effect of poisoning or landing a crit easier. Brave Bird is Crobat's most powerful move, and OHKOs Heracross. U-Turn can scout as well as hit Celebi hard, and Pursuit can catch fleeing Psychics and Ghosts.
    Last edited by MatchMaster; 12th August 2012 at 4:27 PM.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

Quickly, the the Crobatmobile!
    Crobat @ Life Orb/Choice Band
    Trait: Infiltrator
    EVs: 252 Atk /4 Def/252 Spd
    Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Brave Bird
    - Cross Poison
    - U-Turn
    - Pursuit/Roost/Super Fang

Obviously, don’t use Roost or Super Fang along with a Choice Band. Oh Arceus, the bat puns…

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Default Die Flittermouse

Die Flittermouse
    Crobat
    Bold 252 HP, 252 speed, rest Sp Att
    Inner Focus/Infiltrator Leftovers

Fly
    Confuse Ray
    Heat Wave
    Air Slash

I have been told this one is super annoying/deadly by people who picked it up for their battle room in HG/SS, so it has the virtue of being played well by the game's AI also. Fly is the poor man's protect. You do have to be good at timing confuse ray, but the idea is to get the opponent to damage themselves, and help.

I'M (cro)BATMAN!!!
    You're driving me batty
    Sorry for all the bat puns

Toxic and Fly can work really well together, as it lets you break down your opponents HP and deal extra damage, as said before, Fly is his Protect thanks to his almost unrivaled speed.
    FC (White): 1248-9416-2795
    3DS FC: 1633-4254-1939
    Friend Safari: (Rock) Dwebble, Macargo, Barbaracle
    PM me if you want a battle or trade

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    What? You don't feel the testosterone rush through your veins when you look at Machamp's large, manly pecs?

It's simple, we whirl the Batman
    Crobat @ Leftover
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Sleep Talk
    - Whirlwind
    - none
    - none

Rather gimmicky, but you can try switch on Breloom/Amoongus' Spore or other sleep inducting moves and use Sleep Talk for guaranteed Whirlwind without negative priority, coupled with balzing speed. Make sure you have plenty hazards to maximally abuse this set.
    Last edited by misterdarvus; 12th August 2012 at 5:55 PM.

Try this one
    Bat out of hell
    adamant/jolly
    252 att 252 speed 4hp

-Brave bird
    -cross poison
    -u-turn
    -steel wing
    item life orb/choice band

hits hard and fast. Brave bird decimates anything that doesn't wall it. Cross poison gives it a secondary STAB move. U-turn is perfect on crobat, as it is an effective scouter, and counters psychic types. Steel wing stops rock and ice types.

Acro-Bat
    adamant/jolly
    252 att 252 speed 4hp

-Acrobatics
    -cross poison
    -u-turn
    -steel wing

similar to above, yet acrobatics+flying gem is powerful. same stuff for the other moves as before.

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Try this one
    Bat out of hell
    adamant/jolly
    252 att 252 speed 4hp

-Brave bird
    -cross poison
    -u-turn
    -steel wing
    item life orb/choice band

hits hard and fast. Brave bird decimates anything that doesn't wall it. Cross poison gives it a secondary STAB move. U-turn is perfect on crobat, as it is an effective scouter, and counters psychic types. Steel wing stops rock and ice types.
    Lol that is exactly what I use.
    Pokemon Black 4814-3504-9865

Crobat is a neat Pokemon. It's high speed and large array of support moves lets it annoy enemies to pretty good effect. On the offensive, you might as well use Aerodactyle instead. Or Azelf. Crobat is a UU Pokemon that has found very rough competition in the 5th generation because Prankster exists. That puts Crobat in a bad spot.
    However, Crobat can make use of a usable base 90 attack to not become Taunt bait. In addition, despite a Stealth Rock weakness, Crobat can switch into bug, fighting, grass, and ground attacks, all very common in the metagame. In addition, Crobat is immune to Toxic.
    During 4th gen, Crobat was a staple on my team. It can do stuff, but now there are things that do what Crobat does and do it better.

Meowmeow's Crobat
    EVs: 252 speed and HP, 4 special defense
    @: Black Sludge

Hypnosis
    Super Fang
    Roost
    U-Turn

This is my Crobat. I still use it from time to time. The idea was to lead with Crobat, Hypnosis whatever is there, and then use Super Fang. With the target asleep and at half HP, U-Turn would put the target below 50% HP, making whatever came in have either a free turn to set up, or an easy kill. Roost allowed me to use Crobat when its services would be needed again.
    This Crobat has one major flaw: Hypnosis. 60% accuracy is not reliable.
    I claim Buizel.

you wanna see something unexpected? here

Crobat @Leftovers
    Timid
    160spe 252sp.atk 92hp
    -Taunt/Super Fang
    -Roost/Super Fang
    -Toxic/Super Fang
    -Heat Wave/ lol i guess Super Fang
    beats the crap out of forry. other uses too.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Overview
    Crobat used to be one of the coolest pokemon out there. Only the cool kids had them in-game, and then they were considered incredibly powerful. And why not? Crobat has record-high Speed and really nice offensive stats; it was a good pokemon. But oh, how it has fallen from grace! For one thing, it isn't cool anymore. Maybe it's because I've changed my taste in pokemon. More likely, however, is the fact that nobody has a Crobat in-game. Only three people every did; Archie and Maxie, of team Aqua and Magma respectively, each had Crobats in the final battle of Ruby and Sapphire, and boy where those Crobats powerful. Not annoying, like Zubats, but powerful and they demanded respect. Since those games, only one other trainer ever used a Crobat, and that was Koga in HGSS. Koga is an idiot, imo, and hasn't ever done anything to deserve respect (you may say he's part of the Elite Four, but if you've seen those guys, you'll realize that any clown can join the E4. It's not that impressive). Battling wise, Crobat was hit really hard in the Fourth Generation with the physical/special split, and since then hasn't really been able to recover. He hasn't gained much in the fifth generation either, while many others have. Not only that, but his typing is horrendous. Poison is by far the worst Offensive typing in the game, and Flying is a decent offensive typing at best. Speaking of offense, his Attack stat is usable, but his Sp. Atk is mediocre are best. His Speed, meanwhile, is really, really fast. On the other hand, his defenses are decent. 85/80/80 defenses aren't half bad, to be completely honest. His typing, however, kills it. The Flying type is one of the top five worst types defensively, as just about every pokemon in the game can learn Psychic, Stone Edge, Ice Beam, or Thunderbolt to hit it super-effectively. Due to this, Crobat is more of a wall-breaker, meaning he tries to weaken opponents walls as much as he can so other pokemon can sweep through teams. He's pretty good at that, though. Anyway, on to abilities.

Abilities:
    Inner Focus: Prevents flinching on your behalf. It's ok for the occasional haxkiss and ever-present Jirachi (not that you would ever counter a Jirachi using a Crobat, due to typing and move-set on both sides).
    Infiltrator (DW): This ability is really meh. It basically ignores Reflect, Light Screen, and Safeguard, allowing you to attack your opponents normally. Not really that helpful, as Crobat is more of a wall breaker, and won't really be sweeping.

Imma Break Down Your Walls!
    -Super Fang
    -Brave Bird
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Poison Fang/Cross Poison
    Item: Choice Band/Life Orb
    EVs and Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SP. Atk)
    252 Atk/252 Speed
    This is a wall-breaker set. Super Fang is incredibly deadly, taking away half of the opponent's health in one go. That really hurts walls, which is great. Brave Bird is STAB that hits hard and ultimately hurts Crobat. Zen Headbutt is filler. I chose the last two because each one can Poison the foe, and they're both STAB. The difference is, however, that Poison Fang can badly poison the foe, while Cross Poison only normally poisons the foe, but has more power and a higher critical hit chance. The EVs are to hit hard and fast. Same with the items.

Nasty Plot Sweeper
    -Nasty Plot
    -Air Slash
    -Sludge Wave
    -Giga Drain/Hidden Power Ground
    Item: Life Orb
    EVs and Nature: Modest (+Sp. Atk, -Atk)
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd
    While this may seem kind of odd, Crobat can make a decent Nasty Plot sweeper. He has Nasty Plot (obviously) and a decent special move-set. Nasty Plot doubles your Special Attack stat, making it usable to sweep with; Air Slash is STAB and can make the opponent flinch; Sludge Wave is STAB as well, and hits hard; Giga Drain heals the Life Orb recoil, while Hidden Power Ground hits Steel, Electric, and Rock types, which Crobat can't do otherwise. The EVs are for maximum sweepage.

Partners
    Crobat is made for wall breaking, so you want sweepers who can take over when Crobat has done his job. As for the NP set, you will definitely need someone who can take a Rock or Electric type attack for Crobat for pokemon that out speed it, like Jolteon or pokemon that have the Choice Scarf.

Countering Crobat
    Honestly, it's not that hard. Out-speed it with the Choice Scarf and use a super-effective attack on it, and it's down. Rock and Steel types wall it, but watch out for Super Fang. Jolteon has the same Speed as Crobat, but can take most of Crobat's attacks and destroy it with Thunderbolt.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Time to Cro my wings and FLY!
    Crobat
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Item: Choice Scarf / Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant / Jolly
    Evs: 252 Speed / 252 Attack / 4 HP
    Brave Bird
    Cross Poison
    U-Turn / X Scissor
    Haze

Have you head of Nasty Plot sweepers? Well have you also heard of Haze? Probably one the most forgotten moves / underrated moves in the game. Haze is this difference between your loss to a sweeper, to your epic win! Weavile is the only one who's speed comes near to Crobat in UU, so you can definitely haze it b4 it attacks with Swords Dance boosted moves (it may cause u to die though). It also ruins the life of Baton passers and Stored Power users. Scarf is recommended for higher tiers (if u so choose to use Crobat there) and if you are allowing a mix of tiers (RU Aerodactyl is a threat), while Life Orb is for refular UU.

I need people for Friend Safari
    2DS friend code (Pokemon Y): 5000-2976-5362
    Send a private message my way if you add me.

Spoiler:- Previous In-Game Teams:

Just a tip: don't put his poison STAB grass types are hit hard by brave bird anyway and steel wing LOL, nasty plot from a base 70 sp.attack heh good luck.
    his main set have been posted already so I will try a gimmick one
    edit: oh a good golbat set isn't posted
    both of crobat abilities are situational: infiltrator is good against screens and inner focus is good against jirachi/togekiss mainly.
    so a pun: nananana crobat

Acrobat
    @ flying gem
    252 attack 252 speed, 4 defense
    Adamant/Jolly
    Inner Focus/infiltrator
    -Acrobatics
    -Taunt
    -U-turn
    -Roost/hyper fang

Works best as a lead acrobatics is a strong recoiless STAB with 110 BP after a flying gem it have an insane 247.5 sure archeops hits way better with acrobatics but crobat is faster and works well also in late game (when down to 50%) Taunt stops stealth rock although leads are rare you never know, U-turn scouts althout the SR weakness it is still useful since as said he is a lead,Roost help him survive repeated SR damage and hyper fang is great against walls.

Edit: this set is actually worse than brave bird but it doesn't have recoil.. though leftovers recovery is missing..

Golbats,Golbats everywhere
    @eviolite
    252 HP, 176 Defense, 80 sp.defense (or 80 speed to outspeed.. stuff)
    Impish
    Inner Focus/infiltrator
    -Brave Bird
    -Roost
    -Toxic
    -Hyper Fang/Protect

So a wall golbat in NU/RU is a really good idea he resists fighting which is a cool resistance, immunity to ground, also bug and grass barely touch him that what make golbat a valuable wall. Brave Bird is kinda unortodox for a wall but it protects from being a taunt bait, roost is a logical move for a wall, toxic, toxics it is pretty obvious hyper fang just cuts 50% hp of something at full health really useful on switch ins protect pairs great with toxic.

parthners should be a spinner like warturtle,cryogonal (RU only also good synergy except shared rock weakness) or stuff weak to fighting in general like bastidon or aggron.
    Last edited by Ilan; 12th August 2012 at 8:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

I had one of these in my main Platinum team. She was one of the very powerful members of my team. Crobat was also one of the best rentals back in Pokemon Stadium 2.

Now Crobat has plenty of tricks to play, like its dreamworld ability and acrobat.

"The Acro-Bat"
    EVs: 252 Att, 252 Spd, and 4 Sp. Def
    Item: Flying gem
    Moves:
    Acrobat
    Cross Poison
    Haze
    Zen Headbutt

A common moveset for Crobat (sort of). Haze may not be used very much, but I strongly encourage having it on board so you can stop Beat Up Terekion (why isn't it uber?) and Scizor.

Support
    Nature: Careful Nature
    EVs: 189 Sp. Def, 67 Def, 252 Speed
    Item: Leftovers or a critical hit boosting item
    Moves:
    Hypnosis
    Super Fang
    Tail Wind
    Roost

This is for doubles or triples. Crobat should be able to boost its team's speed, put a pokemon to sleep, and attack with super fang. Roost can be used to recover health when needed.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Crobat is just plain awesome.

We're in Bat Country! @ Flying Gem
    EVs: 67 Def, 187 Sp. Def, 252 HP

Acrobatics
    Toxic
    Steel Wing
    U-turn

This is the classic physical set. Crobat can set up toxic, while whittling away big damage.

What's Under YOUR Bed?

FC: 2466-2305-3359
    IGN: Jayrad

Set with U-Turn could be called "The Batarang" if it revolves around going in and switching out... so like a Scouting set possibly.
    My Black Friend Code is 4770 6733 5678

Click the banner to check out The Phantom Legacy
    Join us on The Phantom Legacy Xat

Come trade with me! PM me for offers.
    Be sure to check out Serpentine's Breeding Shop

I'll say this: Crobat was BORN to stallbreak. Base 130 Speed Taunt + Super Fang cripples pokemon like Nidoqueen if you run a bulky EV spread and Roost (and that's only if it runs Ice Beam), and Brave Bird hits sort of hard.

I'm terrible with puns.

And Beat Up Terrakion isn't Uber because it gets screwed up by Rage Powder Amoonguss, Scizor, Trick Room Jellicent + Amoonguss and any Scarfer capable of OHKOing Terrakion. And Smogon doesn't ban move + pokemon. All of these except Scarfers and Scizor are extremely common in doubles.
    Last edited by Vandslaux; 13th August 2012 at 2:51 AM.

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Well, let's get to the analysis...TO THE CROBATCOMPUTER (had to be done)...

*er-hem* Aside from Speed, it looks dangerously similar to Pidgeot from Base Stats alone. However, Crobat's Speed cranks the usefulness-factor over Pidgeot up to nosebleed levels. Aside from lucky chance from the Speed-ties (Jolteon, Aerodactyl, and Mewtwo), only non-Defense Deoxys, Ninjask, Accelgor, and Electrode can outrun it outside of a Trick Room without Priority in play. Add potential for Sleep, two kinds of Poisoning, HP halving, becoming Confused, or Flinching and Crobat can annoy many Pokemon to no end...

...until you see how Average its non-Speed Base Stat spread is. Average defenses, Good HP, Above-Average Attack, and Below-Average Sp.Atk mean you have to rely on those things for a bulk of your offense...

...which isn't that bad, actually. Many useful Moves in its pool, such as Acrobatics, Zen Headbutt, Nasty Plot, Heat Wave, and Super Fang, are huge assets. It doesn't matter that you gave a weaker Pokemon a job over a specialist damage-dealer when it gets the same results. The fact is you can get go fire-and-forget with something like Alakazam or Terrakion, but you'll be more memorable for making an opponent frustrated to no end in the same amount of Battle time with Crobat's point-and-pick offense. This can sway a Battle on a psychological level if the opponent is shocked by your precision-over-brute-force play-style.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    No, no it didn't.

I think we could pt here a zelda puninvolving something about the 2 things in the world that get in the way. Something about Keese everywhere.

Counters foe Eviolite Golbat: It will usually Spam Super Fang to make it worse so ... A red card holder does the trick along with the most powerful status move of all stealth rocks (curse that move!). Keep in mind that even if you got the resistance to like ... toxic, it will still reduce your health to half due to super fang. Oh, and Skarmory too, just be wary of the super fang after you use whirlwind.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post

*er-hem* Aside from Speed, it looks dangerously similar to Pidgeot from Base Stats alone. However, Crobat's Speed cranks the usefulness-factor over Pidgeot up to nosebleed levels. Aside from lucky chance from the Speed-ties (Jolteon, Aerodactyl, and Mewtwo), only non-Defense Deoxys, Ninjask, Accelgor, and Electrode can outrun it outside of a Trick Room without Priority in play. Add potential for Sleep, two kinds of Poisoning, HP halving, becoming Confused, or Flinching and Crobat can annoy many Pokemon to no end...

...until you see how Average its non-Speed Base Stat spread is. Average defenses, Good HP, Above-Average Attack, and Below-Average Sp.Atk mean you have to rely on those things for a bulk of your offense...

...which isn't that bad, actually. Many useful Moves in its pool, such as Acrobatics, Zen Headbutt, Nasty Plot, Heat Wave, and Super Fang, are huge assets. It doesn't matter that you gave a weaker Pokemon a job over a specialist damage-dealer when it gets the same results. The fact is you can get go fire-and-forget with something like Alakazam or Terrakion, but you'll be more memorable for making an opponent frustrated to no end in the same amount of Battle time with Crobat's point-and-pick offense. This can sway a Battle on a psychological level if the opponent is shocked by your precision-over-brute-force play-style.
    zen headbutt and special are horrible choices people plz stop mentioning them..
    brave bird deal with fighting types just fine! why the hell do you need zen headbutt? special lol.. base 70.. is pathetic.
    STAB neutral BB= 180 BP, SE zen headbutt= 160 we can clearly see which one is superior right?
    and there is no poison type who resist flying.
    HEat wave comming from a base 70.. is horrible... just use U-turn and switch to magnezone..
    talking about magnezone he is a fine partner crobat hate steels and magnezone hate ground and fighting attacks.
    Last edited by Ilan; 13th August 2012 at 2:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
    No, no it didn't.
    I meant because of all of the bat puns and having to take the stupid hit myself. Otherwise, it would've been someone else saying that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    zen headbutt and special are horrible choices people plz stop mentioning them..
    brave bird deal with fighting types just fine! why the hell do you need zen headbutt? special lol.. base 70.. is pathetic.
    I mentioned it mostly for the Flinching aspect. Otherwise, it's skippable entirely thanks to BB. Special is somewhat usable due to Nasty Plot access, but only if you can guarantee a boost before your meh-worthy endurance leaves you in the dust.

Anyway, countering Crobat comes down to a few possibilities:
    -Hard-hitting Priority, such as STAB Ice Shard users (aside from Cryogonal, Glaceon, Smeargle, and Donphan, any Fully-Evolved Ice Shard user fits this description)
    -More Speed and Super-Effective STAB, such as Jolteon, Aerodactyl, or Electrode
    -Endurance plus the Ghost Type, such as Cofagrigus, Dusknoir, or Eviolite-clops

The Ghost Types prevent Super Fang spamming and can Will-o-Wisp to nerf the usually-Physical Crobat. Ice Shard from the aforementioned users (combined with Crobat's meh-worthy endurance) will usually spell Crobat's doom. Jolteon, Aerodactyl, and Electrode are self-explanatory (especially with Crobat's meh-worthy endurance being in Electrode's favor as well).
    Last edited by Kraleck; 13th August 2012 at 2:34 PM. Reason: Adding to post to prevent double-posting.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast