Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength of the Recurring Characters and their Pokemon?

Default Strength of the Recurring Characters and their Pokemon?

A lot of Ash's reserves are getting minimal screen time and many of the rivals are being treated like crap, but do you think their current treatment is enough for them to be considered decent battlers? If the saga were to end right here, do you think Ash's Boldore would go down as a powerhouse in our memories or as another poorly treated reserve?

Burgundy lost all of her on screen battles, but if the battles are actually examined instead of just paying attention to the end result maybe she's not such a lost cause after all?

In her battle against Cilan, her Dewott actually did pretty well. It wasn't dominated by Dwebble. Dewott would have one-hit KOed Dwebble with Aqua Pulse if not for Sturdy provided that it works the same way it does in the games. And it was after Dwebble's Shell Smash that Dewott fell (I don't think anything has survived Dwebble/Crustle's Shell Smash yet) Dwebble's such a powerful pokemon that it earned the nickname Zeustle on these forums, so holding it's own against a pokemon like that is pretty impressive. Her Sawsbuck fared a bit worst and was kind of demolished by Pansage.

In her battle against Ash her Stoutland actually put up a decent fight against Palpitoad. Palpitoad went on to defeat a pokemon that swept three of Bianca's pokemon soon after.

Dewott failed again against Iris, but put up a decent fight. Iris vs Burgundy is probably one the my favorite battles in Best Wishes. It wasn't short and brushed under the rug like many other battles in this saga. Excadrill seems like one of the strongest members of the main cast and had already beaten over 100 pokemon before that battle. Dewott actually seemed to be even with Excadrill fr a while. Pretty impressive.

And Burgundy vs Trip was an abortion of a battle. Darmanitan falling to an attack it had resistance to in one hit makes it her weakest pokemon in my opinion.

So for Burgundy her Dewott, and to a lesser extent Stoutland, may actually be competent battlers. Her other two (if they're ever even seen again) need work.

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

Sawk and emboar were the only two that truly impressedme.

What in the Donamite or in the entire saga?

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

Trip and Serperior, of course~!

Nothing but basic. You want to know me more? Ask me everything! I am otaku, fujoshi, love yuri too. Self-proclaimed Trip's queen on Pokemon fandom

I like Bianca with all three of hers, Georgia with Vanilluxe, and Burgundy and Dewott.

Currently writing: The Missing Link!
    Chapters posted: 10
    Please read and review. I'll be eternally grateful.

Sawk, Emboar, and Beartic have impressed me of the recurring Characters' Pokemon.

They've been the strongest of the pokemon.
    "Heart + Determination + Perserverence = Success" ™

My Philosophical quote on goals and dreams.

Sawk is probably one of the strongest pokemon belonging to a rival currently. Bianca's Emboar and Trip's Serperior/Frillish may be the only things that compare. Beartic is decent, but not amazing. I can't believe it lost so easily to Dragonite. I realize Dragonite's a pseudo-legendary, but there shouldn't be that sort of difference in power between it and Beartic. Especially sense Beartic has an overwhelming type advantage. None of Beartic's attacks seemed to hurt Dragonite at all, even Ice Beam barely phased it, and it only took one hit from Thunder Punch to subdue it. Tying against Excadrill made it seem good, sense it had a type disadvantage to two of it's attacks but that loss against Dragonite took it down a notch in my opinion. I think Excadrill would be able to beat it now.

Ash's team

Pikachu - Unlike in AG and DP, Pikachu doesn't seem to have had as much of a power degrade. It lost to Snivy, but that was explained by Zekrom disabling it's Electric attacks. It lost to Cress's Panpour but that was also justified by having it use Mud Sport. As usual the effect of an attack was greatly exaggerated (Mud Sport,) but that's nothing new. After that it's beaten something in every battle it's been in. It's not as strong as it was at the end of DP or AG obviously, but it's stronger than it was at the League in Hoenn or at the 6th/7th gym in Sinnoh. In AG Sceptile, Swellow and Corphish felt like the major powerhouses. Even Glalie seemed to be a better choice during the League. In DP Staraptor, Buizel, Infernape and Gliscor all seemed to be more reliable then Pikachu. As a Turtwig/Grotle, Torterra seemed tougher too. In BW Pikachu actually seems like Ash's "go to" pokemon again. Personally, I'm not a fan of this but that's for another thread.

Oshawott - It seems pretty tough. It lost a few battles against pokemon it had an advantage against (Chili's Pansear/Bianca's dads' Darmanitan) but it won a few against pokemon it had a disadvantage against too (Stephan's Blitzle/Cilan's Pansage.) It seems to win more often then not and defeated other powerful pokemon like Ash's Palpitoad, Lenora's Watchog and Clay's Krokorok.

Pignite - Probably the strongest of Ash's Unova pokemon. It constantly got wins as a Tepig. Aside from the major ones against Chili and Lenora it always got these odds and ends battles like Scrafty and Mandibuzz. It also lost it's fair share of battles as a Tepig, leading me to believe that Oshawott was actually stronger before it evolved. Most of those losses were to be foreseen so I don't count them against Tepig (Subway Twins are basically Frontier Brains, Druddigon is stronger and had an advantage and Dwebble used the strongest Rock type move.) After it evolved it seems like they're trying to turn it into another Charizard/Infernape. It's been a beast in every battle it's been in since then. In it's evolution episode it beat it's own evolution along with another pokemon in the same battle, it got another win against Brycen and a forth against Roxie. It just evolved but it's racking up wins as a Pignite quickly.

Snivy - Ash's Snivy is a tough one to judge. When it was first caught it seemed like it could be the strongest member of the team. It beat it's own evolution, a pokemon belonging to Ash's main rival for the saga, and was acknowledged by that rival as Ash's only pokemon that was worth a a damn (along with Pikachu.) It already had a ton of powerful moves leading Cilan to believe that it ran away from a previous owner who it deemed too weak. After that everything went down hill. It's very similar to Buizel in that way. It was impressive that it beat Georgia's Pawniard sense it's attack were all not very effective against it and it was female and unaffected by Attract. It was treated very badly at Elesa's gym and with a 4X type advantage and ability to infatuate it's opponent in Clay's gym it didn't seem very impressive. It didn't hold it's own against Excadrill after beating Palpitoad either. It's win against Trip's Servine was also taken back when it ended up losing the rematch. That rematch made it seem like the only way it could win was Attract. Ash typically isn't too good with status moves (Synthesis) so I hope Snivy doesn't end up being one note by trying to rely on Attract. It seems to be a lot like Ash's Swellow too in that it seems to try to endure a type that it should have a disadvantage against. It held it's own against Bianca's Pignite and that wild Simisear and took an amazing amount of punishment from Heatmor and Emboar before falling. It has a lot of potential, we just need to see it in more battles.

Scraggy - Has surprisingly become really strong. In it's first battle that wasn't training, it beat a fully evolved Flying type pokemon (Mandibuzz.) In the Donamite tournament it did great and got two more wins and it got a win in it's first gym battle ever.

Unfezant - As a Pidove it seemed pitifully weak. During the 5 on 5 battle with Trip it was brushed off like nothing. And it never had another battle until like 60 episodes later. As a Tranquill and Unfezant it seems relatively strong. It took out two pokemon in the same gym, so right now it's at least up to the same level that Noctowl was in during Johto. It was taken out relatively easily by Koffing too though... Definitely not as good as Swellow or Staraptor yet. Probably one of Ash's weakest Unova pokemon with Snivy and Boldore.

Boldore - It's in the exact same situation as Unfezant. Instead of beating two pokemon in one gym it beat one it had a disadvantage against. Boldore did take out Tepig and Oshawott as a Roggenrola but the battle against Oshawott wasn't really a serious one. It's probably about even with Unfezant. They both need to win their next battles

Palpitoad - I don't think it's quite as low in rank on Ash's Unova team as Boldore and Unfezant, but it's not far behind. Like the two of them it had one impressive gym victory and got raped inthe battle against Roxie. Instead of beating a pokemon it had a disadvantage against or two in the same battle, it beat one that previously swept Bianca. I'm not saying any of Ash's current pokemon are "weak," just weaker then the others. Palpitoad beating Zebstrika solo is actually pretty impressive. I just think Ash's others have proven themselves a little bit more. Oshawott actually beat Palpitoad, so out of the two Water types it's clear which is stronger. It does have one thing that gives it an edge against Unfezant and Boldore, it won it's only other non-gym battle. For Unfezant it was the battle against Trip, for Boldore it was the one against Bianca and Juniper and for Palpitoad it was the Don Battle Tournament.

Leavanny - This one is probably the strongest of all of Ash's reserves. Aside from Pignite I think it's his strongest Unova pokemon overall. In the battle against Burgh it took a lot of abuse from multiple attacks that were super-effective against it and ended up beating two pokemon that it was weak to. It took a lot of hits from Leavanny before actually fainting too. It stood up to Iris's Emolga despite another type disadvantage and was the only reserve to get a win at Roxie's gym (again, at a disadvantage.) And in the Junior Cup it got yet another win... at a disadvantage. If people would take a feminine-looking stick bug seriously I think Leavanny would be remembered as Ash's Unova powerhouse if the saga ended right here.

Krookodile - It may tie with Leavanny. It did lose one battle without a win but it's taking down Iris's over-hyped Dragonite. And a win against Brycen's Beartic at a disadvantage can't be ignored.

1. Pignite
    2. Leavanny
    3. Krookodile
    4. Pikachu
    5. Oshawott
    6. Scraggy
    7. Snivy
    8. Palpitoad
    9/10. Boldore and Unfezant

Whoops, I did forget to say Serperior.

Frillish has only been seen once with Trip, so not enough to judge by yet imo.
    "Heart + Determination + Perserverence = Success" ™

My Philosophical quote on goals and dreams.

Burgandy's Darmanitan is bad, so is Trip's Conkeldurr.

I personally think most the rivals are being rushed, and have little to nothing to do with the development.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

It would probably be like this:

Trip> Stephan> Georgia> Burgundy=Bianca

No, I don't consider Bianca to be stronger than Burgundy, what of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post

bianca would probably be above Georgia but we all know your a bianca haters

:P I get you dislike Bianca but Burgundy has never had an on-screen win so this is obviously a bad call.

Trip (Obvious) > Stephan > Bianca > Georgia > Burgundy > NOBODY!

Spoiler:- Personality Pony:

Quote Originally Posted by thunderblade12 View Post
    1. Pignite
    2. Leavanny
    3. Krookodile
    4. Pikachu
    5. Oshawott
    6. Scraggy
    7. Snivy
    8. Palpitoad
    9/10. Boldore and Unfezant
    In my opinion:

1. Pikachu
    2. Pignite
    3. Krookodile
    4. Leavanny
    5. Unfezant
    6. Snivy
    7. Palpitoad
    8. Boldore
    9. Oshawott
    10. Scraggy

Quote Originally Posted by Pokeshippers View Post
    Trip (Obvious) > Stephan > Bianca > Georgia > Burgundy > NOBODY!
    Agreed.

Though Bianca beat Trip so nothing is certain at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Agreed.

Though Bianca beat Trip so nothing is certain at this point.
    In a 1v1, to be fair a 1v1 doesn't accurately gauge power levels, if anything it's more like a sudden death round.
    Last edited by Pokeshippers; 14th August 2012 at 7:17 PM.

Spoiler:- Personality Pony:

Quote Originally Posted by DMerle View Post
    :P I get you dislike Bianca but Burgundy has never had an on-screen win so this is obviously a bad call.
    But she has won before.

Off-screen doesn't make it any easier.

Quote Originally Posted by AceDetective View Post
    bianca would probably be above Georgia but we all know your a bianca haters
    I'm a haters? Most insulting thing I've evva been called. >:O

But she has won before.

Off-screen doesn't make it any easier.
    well both of them won off screen gym battles.Bianca won at least two of them in gyms before she met up with ash for the first time,burgundy only had one confirmed offscreen victory.

At least Burgundy (most of the time) is a threat when she goes up against a main character and doesn't treat her pokemon like teddy bears. You can't say the same for Bianca, who usually just flails around until she loses/pulls a DEM bullcrap move and wins somehow.

The bisharp win was 100% legit

True, but I did say "usually" didn't I?

At least Burgundy (most of the time) is a threat when she goes up against a main character and doesn't treat her pokemon like teddy bears. You can't say the same for Bianca, who usually just flails around until she loses/pulls a DEM bullcrap move and wins somehow.
    i wouldn't say thats accurate.Bianca was a real threat to pikachu in their first battle,once excavalier started to listen she did well, and was able to beat bisharp quite easily(granted she did have a type advantage).Most of her losses come down to going up against stronger opponents (lets be honest miccinno vs zebstrka was a complete mismatch and she did ok and sawk was shown to be extremly strong in that tournament) only really against elesa did she really do badly but her pokemon are much stronger now.Burgundy on the other hand can't get any victories agianst strong opponents (her only victory was against chilli who was doing really badly at the time with when she had a type advantage).Now don't get me wrong i like Burgundy as a character i just think atm she isn't as strong.
    Last edited by Luthor; 15th August 2012 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    The bisharp win was 100% legit
    Cabernet has more strategy thought. When she fought Iris, she had 2 strategies, the Water Pulse to make Excadrill unable to use Dig & Revenge. What does Bianca do? Attack, attack, attack! That Fling one is the only exception but that move came out of nowhere as well. Bianca may have more "wins" but Cabernet has strategies planned out which sadly she was unable to show at the Junior Cup.
    - Claimed:

-XY, already better than Best Wishes.xD

Pokemon Y Team:

Greninja
    Talonflame
    Pikachu
    Venusaur
    Flygon
    Aggron

3DS FC: 1993-7360-7585

Quote Originally Posted by KibaLG8 View Post
    Cabernet has more strategy thought. When she fought Iris, she had 2 strategies, the Water Pulse to make Excadrill unable to use Dig & Revenge. What does Bianca do? Attack, attack, attack! That Fling one is the only exception but that move came out of nowhere as well. Bianca may have more "wins" but Cabernet has strategies planned out which sadly she was unable to show at the Junior Cup.
    reminds me of a quote "One may know how to conquer without being able to do it" and i think this sums up Burgundy she may know what to do to win, but she dosn't have the strength and as such can't do it yet, so she isn't as strong atm.Bianca may not be as strategic but she can get wins.

Here's the order of strenght in the rivals in my opinion
    1. Trip - Yeah he's much stronger than everyone else now
    2. Georgia - Even though she lost in the first round, it was against a crazy Dragonite, and she has pretty good Pokemon imo
    3. Stephan - Sawk. Nuff said.
    4. Bianca - Having Emboar and Escavalier (or was it the other bug? never remember which one) is no laughing matter. And Minccino is not bad either
    5. Burgundy - lol

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast