Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The $250,000 Pyramid

Hybrid View

Default The $250,000 Pyramid

As any game show fan has probably heard by now, the classic game show Pyramid is returning to the airwaves. To celebrate, I'm bringing the game to these forums.

BASICS:
    Two teams of two players. Each team has one celebrity partner (who change from show to show) and one contestant. Two full games are played in each 'episode'. A full game consists of the front game and the bonus round, the Winners' Circle.

RULES:

In the main game, six categories are presented to the teams, each with titles hinting at the words, names, or phrases in the category. For each subject, you'll have 7 items to describe in 30 seconds. Rules for describing: say what you want except saying the word outright (or any part), saying "starts with" or "rhymes with", or saying "sounds like." Any of those immediately forfeits the word and proceeds to the next one. I'll PM the giver all 7 words at once. However, like the real show, once you pass a word (only the giver can say "PASS") or forfeit it, you can't come back to it, even if time permits. However, just like on the show, if your receiver comes up with a PASSED word later in the topic and says it, YOU GET CREDIT. In the front game, players will alternate turns as giver and receiver, except for each team's last topic, in which the team decides who'll give (you may confer, but the player that gave clues first must act as the spokesman in this case). Timing is simple: 1/3 of a second off for each word used in your description (including parenthetical gestures), 1 second off to give an answer, and no time for verdicts or transitions.

In each game, one category will have a bonus hidden behind it; in the first game of the 'episode', that will be 7-11 (take $50 for each word, or go for $1,100 for getting all seven words). In game 2, this can be Mystery 7 (get all seven words without knowing the topic for a bonus prize) or Gamble for Two Grand (if you choose to take 5 seconds off the clock and get all 7, you win $2,000).

In the case of a tie, the scores are erased, and two more categories are presented; the team that created the tie chooses first. Both categories will be things that start with a given letter of the alphabet, such as S or P. If the first team gets all seven words, the second team MUST complete their seven words in less than the time it took the first team to get their seven words to win. If both teams somehow manage to tie, whether by both finishing at the same time, or if both teams tie with less than 7, the scores are wiped again, and two more tiebreaker categories are presented. The winning team advances to the Winner's Circle. If a tiebreaker is caused by a 21-21 tie, the winning player receives $2,500 in addition to advancing to the Winner's Circle.

WINNERS' CIRCLE

Before the round starts, the team must decide who will give clues and who will receive clues. The giver will have 60 seconds to convey 6 categories by ONLY listing items in the category. The receiver must identify the category. He or she must give a complete category, but as long as the 'essence', or key word of the category is given, it will be accepted (EX: Saying "things that are cooked" instead of "things you cook."). The following things are forbidden and will result in the category being forfeited: saying something that doesn't make sense or doesn't fit, describing the category, using the operative words or any synonyms (or any part thereof), using prepositions (even "of," there are many ways to get around it), indicating gestures of any kind, and giving "yes/no" hints.

Timing: 1/2 second off for any word in your list, 1.5 seconds off for any guess, no time off for verdicts or transitions. Categories will be presented one at a time and can be passed and returned to in order as time permits. Only the giver can say "PASS," but if the receiver comes up with the category after passing but before the first clue of the next category, it WILL be credited (trust me, it's happened on the actual show before).

In the first game of an episode, the Winner's Circle is worth $10,000. If the same player makes it to the Winner's Circle a second time in the same episode, the Circle is worth $25,000.

If a player fails to win the Circle, they receive money based on which categories they got in the 60 seconds. In order, the first three boxes are worth $100, $200, and $300, respectively, the next two are worth $400 and $500, and the top box is worth $500. The money of the claimed boxes will be added together to make a score for the other player to beat. If the other player makes it to the Winner's Circle, they must score more money or beat all six categories to return the next episode. If the player in the first game wins the $10,000, the other player must win the second game and the $10,000 in their Winner's Circle to return on the next episode. If the two contestants win the same amount of money, including both winning $10,000, both players return the next day.

After the first game, both contestants change partners for the second game of an episode.

Players remain for a maximum of five 'episodes'.

THE $250,000 TOURNAMENT

After a certain amount of episodes (generally 20 or 25), the three players that completed the Winner's Circle in the fastest time return to compete in a round-robin tournament to compete for $250,000. Two of the three players compete each day; no bonuses are in play, except for the 21-21 tie bonus. If nobody wins the winner's circle on a day, the player with the lower amount of score money is replaced by the third player for the next day; this continues until the winner's circle is won (in the case of a score tie, a coin is flipped to determine who comes back the next episode). If the $250,000 is won in the first game of an episode, the other two players play the second game for a chance at $25,000 in the Winner's Circle. The celebrity players still switch each day during the tournament.

In general, you'll want to be good with words on this game.

Should this be accepted, I'll need two contestants, and two celebrities (please specify who you'd like to be in that case, as on Serebii Squares).
    3DS FC: 0302-0291-6804

Move along, nothing to see here.

I'll be the celebrity Carol Channing!
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardTrubbish View Post
    Description: I am sexy
    ~I Like Boys~

I would like to be a contestant. You can never squeeze a Gameshow past me.

Credit to Rayquaza The First

I can't seem to stay here, can I?

We'll need one more contestant and one more celebrity.

Can I be a contestant?
    [IMG]http://i43.*******.com/6p2jyb.jpg[/IMG]

I'll be a celebrity, more specifically, Sho Minamimoto.

I hope my partner isn't zetta slow.
    Last edited by Recon; 15th August 2012 at 5:50 PM.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

Dang it too late
    3ds FC 2492-4223-4524
    Black FC:0432-9941-9309
    Black 2 FC: 3397-2999-9109
    AC:NL Dream Address: 6900-2317-3049

Fireray, I can get you in for episode 2. On that note, here we go!

(fade up on slate)

This is the $250,000 Pyramid, production number 0001, VTR 8/15/12, take 1.

(fade to black)

(fade up, montage of Winner's Circle wins from the pilot episodes)

(jump cut to the set, a modern replica of the 80s set)

Johnny Gilbert: From Television City in Hollywood, this is the $250,000 Pyramid!

(the theme starts playing)

Today's special guests are Carol Channing! And from The World Ends With You, Sho Minamimoto!

(applause as they walk onto the set)

And now, here is your host, Dick Clark!

(OOC: Just pretend for the sake of this that
    A. He isn't dead and
    B. He didn't have that stroke a few years back.

Good? Good.)

Thank you! Thank you very much, thank you Johnny, we're back!

(cheers and applause)

Somebody could win a lot of money today, some things have changed, some things are the same, we'll get to that in a minute here.

Carol, you've played the game before, how have you been since then?

(fun fact: she actually was on Pyramid once... granted, it was in 1974, but still.)

Why, I'm good Dick! *chuckles* Thank you!
    ~I Like Boys~

Well, that's good to know. I'm presuming you've met your partner, he is Jordie, tell us about yourself.

Well I am very excited to play this game and I hope I do as well as I am on another game show.

Yes, uh, 'Sale of the Century'? I thought that show was off the air. Good luck, anyhow.

'Pyramid' history today - our first celebrity from outside movies and television - please welcome Sho Minamimoto!

How are you today, Mr. Minamimoto?

*pulls out megaphone*

Attention, all yoctograms! The possibility of me winning is zetta high! I'll beat the factoring brains out of you brain-dead binomials!
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

...I can tell already this is going to be a long day.

Welcome to 'Descent into Madness', drinkwaterlaura.

(mild audience laughter)

Tell us your story.

I have been in many gameshows recently. I hope to get revenge for $ale Of the Century, it just so happens the guy is right there. (points to the other table, specifically jordie) No hard feelings, but you're going down. I need to win a gameshow sometime, and the time is NOW.

Credit to Rayquaza The First

I can't seem to stay here, can I?

Oh, you've met! That should make things interesting today. Let's have a look at the categories on this first Monday of the series:

THE MANE CATEGORY
    HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH
    LIPPITY-DOO-DAH
    ROUND AND ROUND
    BETWEEN YOU AND ME
    HE'S CERTIFIABLE

We'll throw up 7-11 on the board for good measure, find that, go 7 for 7 and you'll win $1,100. Jordie, Carol, which one to start?

Well I think The Mane Category, please.
    ~I Like Boys~

(the trilon flips)

Carol, describe for your partner these things associated with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. These are things associated with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Ready?

Go!

A horse with a horn is a...
    ~I Like Boys~

Unicorn...

*DING*

26 2/3

*DING*

24 1/3

Yes. A male fan.
    ~I Like Boys~

(Sorry, I didn't know I had to post something)

Let's keep going then

(you're supposed to guess based on what 'Carol' just described, what she said after my post is your clue. The game works like that, after you get one, you move right on to the next thing, with no pause.)
    Last edited by Twentington; 17th August 2012 at 11:36 PM.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast