Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Doubles OU Rain Team

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    49

    Default Doubles OU Rain Team

    This is a team that I made for a tourney with some friends. I'm a little rusty battling in doubles format, so I'd like more opinions on my team before I use it.


    Politoad (F) @ Wacan Berry
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 Hp/252 Sp. Def/4 Def
    Nature: Relaxed
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Toxic
    -Protect

    Politoad's main job is to set up rain, and stay in for as long as possible. Surf hits both opponents, along with healing one teammate. Ice Beam is for anything that resists Surf. Toxic (even though it probably won't be used much) and Protect can stall while causing damage, either through Poison or another Pokemon attacking.



    Toxicroak (M) @ Muscle Band
    Ability: Dry Skin
    EVs: 4 Hp/252 Attk/252 Spd
    Nature: Jolly
    -Bulk Up
    -Sucker Punch
    -Drain Punch
    -Rock Slide

    Toxicroak is one of my physical attackers. Bulk Up is to boost attack, while raising defense to stay in longer. Sucker Punch is to get a decent hit on Latios, or any other annoying attacker. Drain Punch has good power, along with giving Hp back. Rock Slide is just to hit both opponents.
    Normally, I would give it Black Sludge, but in this tourney, you can only use one of any item. It is already being used by another Pokemon.



    Amoongus (M) @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 Hp/128 Def/128 Sp. Def
    Nature: Bold
    -Spore
    -Giga Drain
    -Rage Powder
    -Hidden Power (Ice)

    Possibly my biggest support/wall. I don't think I need to explain Spore, or even Giga Drain. Rage Powder helps me with setting up Toxicroak or Kingdra. HP Ice gives me something to hit Hydreigon or Latios with.



    Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 Hp/124 Def/8 Sp. Attk/124 Sp. Def
    Nature: Bold
    -Muddy Water
    -Earth Power
    -Toxic
    -Recover

    Lots of people suggested Gastrodon over Ludicolo, so here it is. Muddy Water hits both Pokemon well, factoring in STAB and the rain boost. Earth Power, another good STAB attack. Toxic most likely won't be used a lot, but I can use it whenever I can. Recover is another way of healing than waiting for Leftovers. Hopefully, having this over Ludi, I can get some Sp. Attack boosts from another Pokemon's Surf, then pound the opponent with boosted attacks.



    Kingdra (M) @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 168 Hp/164 Attk/4 Sp. Def/172 Spd
    Nature: Adamant
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage
    -Waterfall
    -Substitute

    As far as I know of, SS + Drizzle is legal. If I hear otherwise, the ability will probably be changed to Sniper. With Kingdra, I wanted a Pokemon that could sweep, but didn't die after one hit. If I pair Kingdra with Amoongus, Amoongus can Rage Powder, aiming all attacks at it, while Kingdra can hide behind Substitute and set up. After Amoongus is gone, or Kingdra is fully set up, start attacking



    Latios @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 Hp/252 Sp. Attk/ 252 Spd
    Nature: Modest
    -Draco Meteor
    -Surf
    -Thunder
    -Psyshock

    I accidentally put Hardy nature (no boosts) instead of Modest when I first made this... I was wondering why his Special Attack was so low...

    Latios is my only special attacker. I don't like the fact of having a choiced anything in doubles, but I didn't know what else to do. I guess Life Orb is a possibility. Draco Meteor for epic damage, surf to hurt both opponents (with good power from the rain), Thunder for 100% accuracy damage, and Psyshock for everything else. That's about it.


    Please give me any thoughts/comments you have about this team!
    Last edited by jon199; 20th August 2012 at 5:43 AM.


    3DS Friend Code: 3110-3953-0871
    IGN: Ashley

        Spoiler:- Pokegyms Badges:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St.Thomas
    Posts
    933

    Default

    How about replacing Ludic olo with Gastrodon and possibly partnering it up with Latios. You could try a mixed set with hp for gastrodon and use latios' surf to boost up sp atk with storm drain. Then, use curse to boost defense and earthquake. You have reliable recovery in recover and latios' levitate blocks earthquake. This gets you a boosting mixed sweeper, and gastrodon can fire off powerful STABed muddy waters in rain plus a boost.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coolminun View Post
    How about replacing Ludic olo with Gastrodon and possibly partnering it up with Latios. You could try a mixed set with hp for gastrodon and use latios' surf to boost up sp atk with storm drain. Then, use curse to boost defense and earthquake. You have reliable recovery in recover and latios' levitate blocks earthquake. This gets you a boosting mixed sweeper, and gastrodon can fire off powerful STABed muddy waters in rain plus a boost.
    Are you saying a bulky Gastrodon with Curse, Earthquake, Muddy Water, and Recover? I like the idea, also because it is immune to any electric attacks that could be thrown at it. Are grass moves, or pokemon, common in doubles?


    3DS Friend Code: 3110-3953-0871
    IGN: Ashley

        Spoiler:- Pokegyms Badges:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I'm a big fan of doubles and triples. Gastrodon is a really great Pokemon for doubles rain teams because of his ability Storm Drain, which activates whenever any water move hits him including your own. Because of that I wouldn't recommend a physical set because of the ups he'll get to his special attack. To address your other question grass moves aren't incredibly common but they're common enough that you should still have something for grass Pokemon
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0303-9154-9944
    Friend Safari: 3625-9075-7253 Ponyta, Slugma, Fletchinder

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St.Thomas
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boredom View Post
    I'm a big fan of doubles and triples. Gastrodon is a really great Pokemon for doubles rain teams because of his ability Storm Drain, which activates whenever any water move hits him including your own. Because of that I wouldn't recommend a physical set because of the ups he'll get to his special attack. To address your other question grass moves aren't incredibly common but they're common enough that you should still have something for grass Pokemon
    Well, I was suggesting earthquake, because it hits both opponents in doubles and with latios' levitate he'd be safe. The boost from curse would also make make gastro's atk high in tandem with sp atk boost, so it will be like a pseudo quiver dance by getting 3 stats built up at once. You could always go with earth power too. I'm also fairly new to the competitive seen, si i'm not to sure if grass types and moves are rampant. But your ice beam pokes should be able to take them out or force switches.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St.Thomas
    Posts
    933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boredom View Post
    I'm a big fan of doubles and triples. Gastrodon is a really great Pokemon for doubles rain teams because of his ability Storm Drain, which activates whenever any water move hits him including your own. Because of that I wouldn't recommend a physical set because of the ups he'll get to his special attack. To address your other question grass moves aren't incredibly common but they're common enough that you should still have something for grass Pokemon
    Well, I was suggesting earthquake, because it hits both opponents in doubles and with latios' levitate he'd be safe. The boost from curse would also make make gastro's atk high in tandem with sp atk boost, so it will be like a pseudo quiver dance by getting 3 stats built up at once. You could always go with earth power too. I'm also fairly new to the competitive scene, so i'm not too sure if grass types and moves are rampant. But your ice beam pokes should be able to take them out or force switches.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Battle Factory
    Posts
    233

    Default

    I think the Gastrodon is a great idea. Especially since nothing on your team can take a Hurricane or a Flying Gem Acrobatics. Tornadus and Dragonite are huge threats I see to this team and opposing rain teams as they can both wreck with Hurricane. Sun teams shouldn't really be a problem, and sandstorm teams may give you trouble, but either you should be able to pull through.

    May I also suggest a Volcarona? It gets Hurricane and can counter the grasses you should worry about. It also counters sun Chlorophyll users quite nicely, the biggest one being Venasaur of course. You'd have to give it Protect so it can pair with its water type friends.

    Swampert is another good option to think of because it's bulky and would pair nice with Latios with it nice EQ.
    3DS Friend Code: 2895-7887-7462
    I live in Eastern Time (GMT -4)


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Thank you for the suggestions. Replaced Ludicolo with Gastrodon. I'll see how it works out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenevix View Post
    I think the Gastrodon is a great idea. Especially since nothing on your team can take a Hurricane or a Flying Gem Acrobatics. Tornadus and Dragonite are huge threats I see to this team and opposing rain teams as they can both wreck with Hurricane. Sun teams shouldn't really be a problem, and sandstorm teams may give you trouble, but either you should be able to pull through.

    May I also suggest a Volcarona? It gets Hurricane and can counter the grasses you should worry about. It also counters sun Chlorophyll users quite nicely, the biggest one being Venasaur of course. You'd have to give it Protect so it can pair with its water type friends.

    Swampert is another good option to think of because it's bulky and would pair nice with Latios with it nice EQ.
    I would like to have a Pokemon with Hurricane, just because of the 100% chance of hitting in the rain. However, I'm not sure about using Volcarona in doubles... in the rain. Maybe a Dragonite would be better, but if there happened to be a rare hail team who liked using Blizzards, I'd be slaughtered. I'll still keep it in mind though.

    As for Swampert, if Gastrodon doesn't work out, he'll be replaced by either Swampert or Whiscash. Swampert is good with E-quakes, and Whiscash (the way I use him) is a major wall in the rain. I'll keep him in mind also. Thanks for the advice.


    3DS Friend Code: 3110-3953-0871
    IGN: Ashley

        Spoiler:- Pokegyms Badges:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •