Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit: An unexpected journey. Thoughts?

Lightbulb The Hobbit: An unexpected journey. Thoughts?

Hello ,Frodo fanatics and gandalf geysers, sauron supporters, orc oppressors, and gollum guys, and welcome to my newest and biggest thread, titled; The Hobbit: an unexpected journey.

My dad, who works for warner brothers, managed to get me into a 3D pre-premiere screening (UK premiere) of the latest tale of yet another misfortuned midget, and I have to say: It was phenomenal. I will not include too many spoilers in this thread for those who are planning to watch the film/read the book, but I do suggest reading the book before watching the film, as with any film. This is primarily a discussion thread, but I will happily answer any questions to do with the film/book. If I think the answer to the question is a spoiler, then I will post that it is a spoiler, and will ask whether you want to know via PM.

The cast is very respectable, with Martin Freeman (BBC's Sherlock, Nativity 2009) Ian Mackellen will be returning as Gandalf, Keanu Reeves as Lord Elrond, Sir Christopher Lee as Saruman, Cate Blanchett as Lady Galadriel, and we see the return of 31 year-old Elijah Wood, as Frodo, in the opening scenes. We will also be seeing more famous faces returning to Middle Earth, including Martin Freeman's partner-in-do-gooding, Benedict Cumberbatch (lead role in BBC's Sherlock, also featured in War Horse and other numerous roles) But this time, Cumberbatch will be voicing the evil dragon Smaug, in the later films.

And of course, how could we forget, the stunning actor Andy Serkis, returning as Gollum? (Serkis has also starred in other films, and done one of the primary roles, as the CGI created Caesar in Rise of the planet o the apes 2011) and I will finish you off with the fact (for those of you that have only seen the films) that our favourite elf of all, Legolas Greenleaf and his wife (I think) Will be featured early on from the second film, onward, and will once again be played, by the notorious Orlando Bloom (Pirates of the Carribean) as well as the loveable, yet brave Radagast, played by Billy Connolly.

Well Hobbit Hastlers one-and-all, let's get this thread started!

Sincerely,

your humble elfish scribe,

THEIRONDONUT
    Hey guys, please sign up to my RPG The Archetype, we need more members!

Spoiler:- text:

I am a proud member of Join the fight.
    Credit goes to Avenger Angel for making the RP's awesome banner. Thanks Bron and Neo for the awesome RP

I only have one question... Are they seriously turning this into three movies?

I'm not saying that I won't watch it, I'm just saying that I think that Peter Jackson is kinda pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by /b/ board
    What does Cheese Pizza mean?

^Yes.

And I'm glad they are.

Can't wait to see the film.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Klizcool View Post
    I only have one question... Are they seriously turning this into three movies?

I'm not saying that I won't watch it, I'm just saying that I think that Peter Jackson is kinda pushing it.
    Yeah it is a trilogy.

Also I can't wait, I'm probably gonna see this movie after I finished the exams

I can not wait to see this movie! I most likey see it sometime this weekend.

What I want to know is if Denny's is still serving "The Hobbit"breakfast. I don't mind a trilogy, but I just don't want to be disappoint. Other than that I really can't wait to see this movie.

Going to the midnight showing.

My only disappointment is I won't get to see Smaug until the third movie But from what I hear, they are putting a lot from tolkien canon in the movie. More than just from the book The Hobbit. For example: I think Gandalf goes to Dol Guldur and discovers the Necromancer there is really Sauron

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

Wait wut, so they're making the book into THREE films?
    Seems like a push...

To whoever has read the book, I'm sure you will agree that having three parts is amazing. Think... Each lord of the rings book are split into two films each. Now they're pretty packed with detail. The Hobbit, is much smaller than any of the lord of the rings trilogy yet split into more films of the same-ish length! They won't miss any even obscure detail. Bring on the Hobbit 9 hour marathons!
    Anybody have event pokemon to trade??

What I need-
    Jirachi
    Deoxys
    Manaphy
    Shaymin
    Mew

What I have to offer-
    Lv.100 Darkrai
    Lv.100 Mewtwo
    Lv.100 Raquaza
    Lv.50 Celebi
    Lv.100 Registeel

And much more, if you want another pokemon, add me as a friend or send me a visitors message and i will see what I have got.

Gandalf does not go to find out that Sauron is the necromancer in dol gur

*MINOR SPOILER ALERT REGARDING THE DOL GUR POST*

Also, I think Smaug is heard of in the second film as well, but more of that will be released as time comes out. I think the three-part film is a brilliant way that Warner Brothers and New Line Cinema have done it, as it will have more detail, more battles, and better plot twists. The story is still very true to the book, but the way it is ordered is very complex. That's all from me for now, keep posting your questions coming, as I am delighted to answer them! Keep on, Middel-Earthians

Donut,
    Scribe of Rivendell
    Last edited by THEIRONDONUT; 13th December 2012 at 7:57 PM.
    Hey guys, please sign up to my RPG The Archetype, we need more members!

I am a proud member of Join the fight.
    Credit goes to Avenger Angel for making the RP's awesome banner. Thanks Bron and Neo for the awesome RP

Have they added a humorous side to it? In the advert, some parts seem to have been made to be funny, myself I am not sure if I would like that because tolkien didn't mean for the book to be like that.
    Anybody have event pokemon to trade??

What I need-
    Jirachi
    Deoxys
    Manaphy
    Shaymin
    Mew

What I have to offer-
    Lv.100 Darkrai
    Lv.100 Mewtwo
    Lv.100 Raquaza
    Lv.50 Celebi
    Lv.100 Registeel

And much more, if you want another pokemon, add me as a friend or send me a visitors message and i will see what I have got.

Quote Originally Posted by THEIRONDONUT View Post
    Gandalf does not go to find out that Sauron is the necromancer in dol gur

*MINOR SPOILER ALERT REGARDING THE DOL GUR POST*
    [Spoiler=text}Radagast goes there for a reason that I am not willing to share, due to major spoilers, and the ghost of the witch-kind of angmar appears. Then, he sees the necromancer weave himself out of darkness, before being chased out of the old fortress by a hoard of demonic bats. No further detail is included about the necromancer's personailty, as it is dismissed by Saruman at the council of Rivendell (will not expand on that, as it would be a big spoiler) but more about him will be revealed in the later films[/Spoiler]

Also, I think Smaug is heard of in the second film as well, but more of that will be released as time comes out. I think the three-part film is a brilliant way that Warner Brothers and New Line Cinema have done it, as it will have more detail, more battles, and better plot twists. The story is still very true to the book, but the way it is ordered is very complex. That's all from me for now, keep posting your questions coming, as I am delighted to answer them! Keep on, Middel-Earthians

Donut,
    Scribe of Rivendell
    Ah. Thats right. Radagast, not Gandalf.

If they are able to get every juicy detail out of the books by going 3 movies, then cool. I'm just bummed I won't get to see Smaug and Biblo's talk with him until the second movie. I hope they aren't too far apart.

Anyways, just finished re-watching the LOTR trilogy. Can't wait to go on Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Prof.Oak View Post
    Have they added a humorous side to it? In the advert, some parts seem to have been made to be funny, myself I am not sure if I would like that because tolkien didn't mean for the book to be like that.
    The Hobbit is a childrens' book. The lighter tone makes perfect sense. I was more bothered by the fact that they made it a lot darker than the book.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    The Hobbit is a childrens' book. The lighter tone makes perfect sense. I was more bothered by the fact that they made it a lot darker than the book.
    I'm glad that it is a little darker. Goes with the LOTR theme better.

Can't wait for this! Better finish reading the book then I guess! I wonder why it's 3 movies...
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†
    I treat my Pokemon like family. Copy and Paste this in your sig if you do too.
    Animal abuse is horrible if you agree copy this into your signature (started by Tepig Rules)
    ~The right thing to guide us, is right here inside us, no-one can divide us, when the light is nearly gone~- When We Stand Together, By Nickelback.

Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPichu View Post
    Can't wait for this! Better finish reading the book then I guess! I wonder why it's 3 movies...
    Dolla dolla bills y'all

Quote Originally Posted by THEIRONDONUT View Post
    as well as the loveable, yet brave Radagast, played by Billy Connolly.
    Sylvester McCoy plays Radagast.

It's utterly brilliant. It doesn't get off to an auspicious start, the opening sequences are long and largely unwarranted, but it's all up from there. An epic and noble quest, a likeable ragtag group played brilliantly by a perfect cast, laughs, amazingly cool parts, stunning visuals, it's essentially a perfect adventure movie. Which is exactly what a Hobbit movie needed to be. They completely nailed it.

To address one of the biggest concerns: the 48fps 3D. Yeah, it looks totally weird at first but it grows on you and while a lot of the film would probably have been better off without it, it's totally worth it for those parts that work perfectly with it. In particular, one scene involving Storm Giants (if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about) might be the most stunning things I've ever seen in a movie and Rivendell has never looked so beautiful. And Smaug, man, flipping Smaug! There was one part where I could've sworn they'd actually found a real dragon to play him! Not to mention Andy Serkis turning in his finest performance as Gollum yet and...

Yeah, I'm just rambly-gushing now. In short, see this movie. Peter Jackson has hit it right out of the park once again.
    Done here.

The part that I loved the most was the thirty second scene in Dol Guldur where you see the Witch King and Sauron's shadow. Even if it was completely out-of-place in The Hobbit, it served as an awesome prelude to the Fellowship of the Ring.
    Last edited by ForeverFlame; 15th December 2012 at 2:13 AM.

Little plot hole I saw. Azog was dead at this time, his son Bolg was the chief Orc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    Little plot hole I saw. Azog was dead at this time, his son Bolg was the chief Orc.
    Not really a plot hole. Peter Jackson just changed the plot around to give Azog a bigger role. Sort of like Arwen in FoTR. Radagast wasn't even in the Hobbit book and he played a pretty big role in this movie.

Another scene that stood out to me was when an invisible Bilbo prepared to slit Gollum's throat. Gollum's expression during that scene was amazing. I can't even begin to explain the flood of emotions you could see in his eyes as he realized that he was cornered. I'm still stunned at how a CGI model could convey all of those emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    Not really a plot hole. Peter Jackson just changed the plot around to give Azog a bigger role. Sort of like Arwen in FoTR. Radagast wasn't even in the Hobbit book and he played a pretty big role in this movie.

Another scene that stood out to me was when an invisible Bilbo prepared to slit Gollum's throat. Gollum's expression during that scene was amazing. I can't even begin to explain the flood of emotions you could see in his eyes as he realized that he was cornered. I'm still stunned at how a CGI model could convey all of those emotions.
    But Azog was DEAD before the events of the hobbit. :P
    IMO the CGI brought the movie down from what it could have been. LOTR's goblins, orcs, and trolls looked so real. These just looked plastic to me. The small part I saw of Smaug looked the same. If this had been the same movie, with the LOTR creature models, it would have been better

I'm seeing this movie Sunday, am really excited. I loved the Lord of the Rings franchise since it first came out and am hoping this movie turns out to be one heck of a screening.

Quote Originally Posted by your boss View Post
    I'm seeing this movie Sunday, am really excited. I loved the Lord of the Rings franchise since it first came out and am hoping this movie turns out to be one heck of a screening.
    I really liked it. My only gripe was the excessive CGI. I really was hoping for the realistic looking creatures from LOTR

I saw the movie and enjoyed it a lot! Tho I can not say anything more than has already been said. Bring on part 2!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast