Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do physical appearances influence how you/others think of something?

Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    Of course we judge by appearance, it's our preliminary information source and one of the most visceral.

Still the point is since we have the ability to think critically and do more than pound our chests, we also have the ability to shed our first impressions when we get to peer more deeply into whatever it is we've judged.
    Best post in the thread.

It really depends on the appearance. If I see someone with torn, ragged, and dirty clothes, than I assume that they're unkempt. But if I see someone wearing a t shirt and shorts, like I always do, than it's impossible to make a justified judgment of any kind.
    I have claimed Alduin, the mighty dragon! He shall one day return to bring forth the end of time, and fulfill the prophecy of the world eater.

What's this about torn clothes, and better looking slices of cakes? If you're judging a person, the first thing you should do is judge their face. ~ sorry but it's true. Everything you need to know is on their face. specifically their eyes. It's just , most people avoid eye contact nowadays , but it's really all you need to get to know someone. You're all making this way to hard, Life isn't supposed to be that difficult, so you shouldn't over simplify it.
    Friend Code: 4170 - 1645 - 6194

Pokemon up for trade:

Pokemon I want : Any starter that you don't see up there ^

Please forgive me for being disorganized :[

Not really, well not in the way some would imagine it. I just say what's on my mind, its a bad and annoying habit but I'm use to it. I don't think much about appearance when I start talking.

Ash: Now I choose you!
    Electro Ball!

-Pikachu: PikaPika-Chu-Pi!-

Quote Originally Posted by patrickbowers View Post
    What's this about torn clothes, and better looking slices of cakes? If you're judging a person, the first thing you should do is judge their face. ~ sorry but it's true. Everything you need to know is on their face. specifically their eyes. It's just , most people avoid eye contact nowadays , but it's really all you need to get to know someone. You're all making this way to hard, Life isn't supposed to be that difficult, so you shouldn't over simplify it.
    What's this about eyes then? what does it say?
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAnime View Post
    What's this about eyes then? what does it say?
    If you're the kind of person who sees beauty in the eyes and believe that is where everything, every feeling, and the person's soul is, then yeah I guess you can stick with the eyes. But for real, sure eyes can change shape and show your mood. Some people's eyes change color from their mood. But do the eyes really show how the person truly is?

I don't believe in that, even though I find eyes to be the nicest part of someone's body, always. Eyes always have beauty in them, no matter how they look. I mean come on, who doesn't love a beautiful pair of eyes? But to judge someone's whole self on their eyes is ridiculous.

I don't judge people on their eyes. My boyfriend has the 'angry' eyes, but he's the sweetest thing ever. But if that's your way of deciding who someone is, then by all means, go ahead dears.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi. View Post
    Some people's eyes change color from their mood. But do the eyes really show how the person truly is?
    They are a trait in a package deal that allows you to read another human being. The eyes alone can probably only tell you if a person isn't happy. If they have enlarged tear troughs it is safe to assume they are stressed a lot too. Though it more so comes down to the entire facial expression. Instinctively we as human beings are hard wired to detect false showings, that is why you can tell when someone is faking a smile, mentally tired, etc. Sorrow is pretty easy to read as well. Depression not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi. View Post
    But to judge someone's whole self on their eyes is ridiculous.
    No, but they can be a good indicating factor, along with other body language and behavior.

My boyfriend has the 'angry' eyes, but he's the sweetest thing ever.
    If he has static angry eyes it is probably just his eyeball opening shape in relationship to his brows.

Thanks to Steel Sector Graphics for the userbar and banner!

To be honest, if someone is very beautiful, I'd want to be around them more. It's mostly because I'd feel like I'm being handed their scraps.
    岩根雅明=♡

Yes, appearence strongly influences perception. For instance, a dish of beige noodles is far more appetitzing to most people than blue noodles. Blue is actually the least appetizing color.

I quite often judge a book by its cover. That doesn't include racial discrimination though. It's not like I'd look at a black person and assume they're a thief. Also I've never heard of the stereotype that says Asians are smart.

There was no racism in my old school either. Out of about 600 pupils, there were only two black kids and to my knowledge they were never picked on. It was a really crappy school, too.

On a side note, I don't agree with the saying "judge a book by its cover", I find it contradictory. That's the whole reason a book has a cover, so people can judge the book by it. :L

Appearances don't always influence me or make me judge but do 87% of the time

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

well appearences not usually. i mean yeah i might not hand around southwest detroit but...
    but body language kinnda constituses as an appearence and yes i will occasionally (usually wrongly but :P)
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

My friend has almost no muscles yet he can lift almost 100 pounds O.O

So my answer is no

Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post

So my answer is no
    I have an odd friend we now call him "Buff Peter" because he can lift so much now, he argues a lot with one girl in the same class, it gets hilarious, physical appearances DON'T always influence me to like the girls more for me the current crush I have is to nice, and I really like her, sorry if I was getting off topic for a moment there

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

Well duh of course it does!!
    Pokemon Diamond FC

Hikari
    0132 9441 5231

** looking for a trading partner

if what they have done caused them to look the way they do...maybe
    ie. carelessness might have played a role in them getting hit by a car...(maybe)
    #AlphaSapphire
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Yes I have, sometimes I catch myself doing it, but that isn't how I perceive the world, through rose-colored glasses. The world is a rainbow of every possible combination. I have friends whom break the mold of stereotype at every level. I'm average height and very skinny, and I admit it, have a big head and wear glasses when the need be; what you might call nerdy, but I wasn't that great in HS. I graduated with honors and was in the top 20 of my class of a couple hundred, but I didn't really apply myself and just got by in every class; college was a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post

So my answer is no
    100 pounds is nothing what are you talking about

Chances are if you're a generally scrawny nerdy looking person I won't associate with you most likely

which coincidentally is most of you here

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotwapal View Post
    100 pounds is nothing what are you talking about

Chances are if you're a generally scrawny nerdy looking person I won't associate with you most likely

which coincidentally is most of you here
    You probably are too....
    Oh, youre probably one of those kids who hide behind a computer while your mom does everything for you. stop talking sh*t. Its annoying seeing you around the threads kid.
    My Pokemon White FC: 4728-4965-2910
    My Pokemon White 2 FC: 4513-8303-2953

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiitalian View Post
    You probably are too....
    Oh, youre probably one of those kids who hide behind a computer while your mom does everything for you. stop talking sh*t. Its annoying seeing you around the threads kid.
    lol

i know i shouldnt but you can tell a lot by someone's appearence like if they have a good sence of hygene etc.
    #AlphaSapphire

I'd like to think that physical appearances don't make any difference on my views of people, but certain things do. Clothing is an obvious one. I wouldn't really care if someone's style is outdated or anything, but if they're dressed like a tramp then I'd probably want to keep my distance. Same with people who have really oily hair or something, (mainly chavs) I'll just keep well away. So I guess it comes down to keeping away from those who don't give priorities to hygiene... and chavs in general!

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
    I'd like to think that physical appearances don't make any difference on my views of people, but certain things do. Clothing is an obvious one. I wouldn't really care if someone's style is outdated or anything, but if they're dressed like a tramp then I'd probably want to keep my distance. Same with people who have really oily hair or something, (mainly chavs) I'll just keep well away. So I guess it comes down to keeping away from those who don't give priorities to hygiene... and chavs in general!
    yeah i understand about style and such but things like hygene can tell u a lot about a person.
    #AlphaSapphire

No, I don't judge people by their appearance. To me, all races are equal, and I think unfair generalisatoins are wrong. You can't judge someone unless you know that person well. Maybe people to unconciously judge people on their appearance, I don't know, but I think someone's personality and behaviour is the most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
    I agree partly with the hygiene, but that doesn't make me avoid them just to take precautions if they do smell, in which case I would stand up wind and then interact with them.

Sometimes. But sometimes but "We should live in a nation where people are not judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

"Every night I used to pray that I'd find my people -
    And finally I did - on the open road."

I'd have to say that I try to be opened minded. If a person chooses to look a certain way that is their decision. However, I do put judgements on how a person carries them self. (facial expressions, movements, posture.) I also put judgments on how they talk (low, high, monotone, fast or slow speech)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234