Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do physical appearances influence how you/others think of something?

I used too. but now I get to know people. Then, If YOLO or SWAG ever pop up, I delete them from memory. Unless its Autocorrect and were talking about Domo or Flags.
    And you questioned my sanity. My Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon

wouldn't Mega Arceus be

the O-Mega Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    What a terrible OP.
    Exactly.

The title is about physical appearances, and the post is anout racism and stereotyping...

Anyway, I am usually not one to judge, whether it be appearance or stereotyping.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

I am partial to the color green, so yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    yes, pretty things influence my decisions alot of the times
    Mine also.

i absolutely judge based on appearance. im not happy with how i look, and plan to get a few plastic surgery procedures when i can scrap together enough money.
    pokemon white friend code
    0647 5096 9579
    Name: Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Emperor View Post
    i absolutely judge based on appearance. im not happy with how i look, and plan to get a few plastic surgery procedures when i can scrap together enough money.
    whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???
    75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature. (Started by SkittyLover77)

98% of fans believe that Ash's Oshawott will not evolve. If you are part of the 2% that believes in Samurott, copy and paste this into your sig and screw the haters! (Started by PrinceGray) for Ash! XD

Also,vote for Pikachu cuz' it's freakin' awesome!

"This is it. This is your story."
    -Auron

Quote Originally Posted by verdian View Post
    whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???
    Why what? Why I wanna get surgeries and whatnot? Or why I judge on appearances? Or why I don't like myself?
    pokemon white friend code
    0647 5096 9579
    Name: Kevin

I actually was thinking of something kind of related today. I was thinking about how my mind would anthropomorphize certain nonhuman things like shapes/symbols/colours etc. and assign human traits to them. It got me thinking of what sort of associations my and possibly others' mind would make based on appearance alone. I was noticing the tendency for my mind to see shapes or letters/numbers which were round or that had curves as coming off as young, cheerful and friendly, while blockier-looking ones came off as more serious, level-headed and mature. There were a few exceptions, but maybe my imagination is a little more exotic than that of others.

In any case, I'd say perception of physical appearance and nature can be quite hard to divorce for most. One needn't look further than an animated character designer for evidence. These people can create characters made for their audience to be able to tell dozens of things from before they even see them do anything.

From personal experience, I find this is especially true when a person actually does display the personality traits their physical features would suggest. I have a neighbour who has a history of complaining to us, as well as a voice comparable to the beating wings of a mosquito. This can make her sound as if she is perpetually whining about everything, even if she isn't complaining about something at the time. I also hear quite a few complaints from my sister, and the fact that her default expression is kind of like an irritated scowl sometimes makes her seem to be constantly annoyed by everything (though to be fair, this could just be due to my being paranoid that she doesn't like me).

Even in these cases, things can get confusing. How can you tell your perception of the person isn't actually much more strongly based on their physical appearance than you would guess? I can think of a couple of East Asian people who really fit the general typical personality description they're associated with. But sometimes I have to wonder if these aspects only stand because they're part of what I expect an Asian person to be. If these people were rugged, chiselled-featured blondes, would I still see them first as brainy, and/or overachievers?

And of course, there's the possibility of the complete reverse. If I already know someone as a kind, calm, soft-hearted spirit, it's possible the physical features they hold that I associate with those personality traits might stand out more.

And then there's the assumptions people can make that draw from peoples' expected reactions to their own appearance. Seeing someone who would generally be thought of as attractive by most act quiet and unassuming, one might see this person as being quite humble and modest, maybe in need of some confidence. If a person who would traditionally be seen as homely displayed the same temperament, one might subconsciously find this suitable and expected; they probably know they're not good looking and are alienated for it. Maybe they can make it up with academic ability or something.

An interesting topic for sure, but I'm sure there are plenty of psychologists who have a lot more informed things to say on it than I do.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Emperor View Post
    Why what? Why I wanna get surgeries and whatnot? Or why I judge on appearances? Or why I don't like myself?
    haha, lol,

but do ppl need to be daam serious? xD

W2: 5072-1789-3761 | W: 1807-9100-3523 | IGN: Draco | My Clan: The Hoenn Triangle

Spoiler:- THT:

Not really, no, unless it's how an artist drew up characters for a cartoon.
    Tumblr|Twitter
    3DS friendcode: 1805-2694-6050 (Use Rain for name)
    I has Tyrogue, Sawk, and Mienfoo

Black minivans creep me out.

With blood and rage of crimson red, ripped from a corpse so freshly dead.
    Together with our hellish hate, we'll burn you all, that is your Fate!

I believe the term "Don't judge a book by its cover" surely applies here.

I think they do to everyone, but we all hate to admit it. However, when it comes to people I don't judge them on looks.
    Remember, don't worry about the choices that you make now. Because you will 100% regret anything your younger self did/said whatever it was when you grow up some. So go on, aim for your dreams and enjoy the present~

Quote Originally Posted by ZoruaBoo View Post
    I think they do to everyone, but we all hate to admit it. However, when it comes to people I don't judge them on looks.
    "Everyone judges people on appearances. However I don't."

Thanks to Steel Sector Graphics for the userbar and banner!

Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    "Everyone judges people on appearances. However I don't."
    The title of the thread says 'SOMETHING' not people specifically. And what I meant was that if you were looking at two pieces of cake, for example, you are going to be more attracted to the one that is nicer looking even though you haven't tasted them yet.

But when it comes to people, physical looks don't matter, so I don't judge them on how they look.
    Remember, don't worry about the choices that you make now. Because you will 100% regret anything your younger self did/said whatever it was when you grow up some. So go on, aim for your dreams and enjoy the present~

Quote Originally Posted by ZoruaBoo View Post
    The title of the thread says 'SOMETHING' not people specifically. And what I meant was that if you were looking at two pieces of cake, for example, you are going to be more attracted to the one that is nicer looking even though you haven't tasted them yet.

But when it comes to people, physical looks don't matter, so I don't judge them on how they look.
    In defense I don't anyone in this topic has actually discussed the appearance of objects.

Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    In defense I don't anyone in this topic has actually discussed the appearance of objects.
    Well there is a first for everything.

Regardless of how much you know about a person; even beyond their looks, even if you've met them and know their personality, you would still have incomplete data. Prejudice is all about judging based on incomplete data. Think about it: when will we ever completely know a person? A person could be a dangerous serial killer, but do we truly know that person enough to judge them? Technically, no. So, everyone is prejudice. It's all about the scales of how much you know.

As stated, it can be both positive and negative, and quite frankly, even positive ones can be bad, because you're overrating a person in comparison to everybody else (also known as the "Halo Effect").

The only way to combat it is to simply acknowledge it and factor it in your judgments. You can't get rid of it, but at least know when you're under it. You must also be open to always changing and adapting it as you gain more information on the said person. Lastly, you must understand what is "enough" information for judgment. Clothes can potentially be enough information if the pattern continues for an absurd amount of time. If a person wears gaming shirts, enjoys math and science, and I speaks in japanese phrases, they're likely a geek.

If I only see ONE of the aforementioned things, I may not have enough information to judge them as a geek; and even if the said person was a geek, can I say more than what I already know? No, they could still like to party. They could still be religious. They could still be something else. Until they explicitly state that they not, you can't completely rule it out.

So it's all about understanding the scope of what you actually know and changing accordingly. Use stereotyping as an advantage. All humans follow trends no matter what; just don't treat them as absolute.

Oh, and I beg of you to give people a chance no matter what negative thing you associate with them. This goes further than just "judging": this includes friendship and romance as well.
    Last edited by GhostAnime; 4th September 2012 at 5:52 PM.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

Regardless of how much you know about a person; even beyond their looks, even if you've met them and know their personality, you would still have incomplete data. Prejudice is all about judging based on incomplete data. Think about it: when will we ever completely know a person? A person could be a dangerous serial killer, but do we truly know that person enough to judge them? Technically, no. So, everyone is prejudice. It's all about the scales of how much you know.

As stated, it can be both positive and negative, and quite frankly, even positive ones can be bad, because you're overrating a person in comparison to everybody else (also known as the "Halo Effect").

The only way to combat it is to simply acknowledge it and factor it in your judgments. You can't get rid of it, but at least know when you're under it. You must also be open to always changing and adapting it as you gain more information on the said person. Lastly, you must understand what is "enough" information for judgment. Clothes can potentially be enough information if the pattern continues for an absurd amount of time. If a person wears gaming shirts, enjoys math and science, and I speaks in japanese phrases, they're likely a geek.

If I only see ONE of the aforementioned things, I may not have enough information to judge them as a geek; and even if the said person was a geek, can I say more than what I already know? No, they could still like to party. They could still be religious. They could still be something else. Until they explicitly state that they not, you can't completely rule it out.

So it's all about understanding the scope of what you actually know and changing accordingly. Use stereotyping as an advantage. All humans follow trends no matter what; just don't treat them as absolute.

Oh, and I beg of you to give people a chance no matter what negative thing you associate with them. This goes further than just "judging": this includes friendship and romance as well.
    It helps to be able to notice little things people do to understand their psyche.

At first yeah. Its just human nature. Help them to survive I suppose.
    People usually want to see what they want to see. Its all started w/ your eyes eh?

X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Digletto View Post
    Have you ever seen someone who was Asian? That stereotypical thing would be either extremely smart or a tennis/ping pong player.

The black guy, the one who stole your VCR and the nice sneakers he's wearing? Also, he's good at basketball and football, and can't swim.
    hahaha good one man but you forgot the white guy that uses non-white people in stereotyping 'examples' and neglects to mention himself.

and he's my favourite stereotype, too

I just don't like people who sag. Or have their piercings on their ears super stretched out. Which is really gross and weird.

Oh, definitely. Most of us try really hard to get past this and do a decent job of thinking critically instead of jumping to conclusions. However, we all have some sort of bias about anything with a physical appearance just based on its visual appeal. It's hard-coded into our brains, previously a mechanism for survival, mating, etc. and now used automatically as a social tool, whether you want it to or not.

I know that I'm not without visual bias. Especially in TV, movies, etc. I can be drawn to or turned away from something based on its visual direction, though these hardly count given that they're visual media in the first place. A better example would be Pokémon, wherein I choose my favorites almost entirely based on their physical appearances rather than their usability or anything sensible like that. And, like all of us to a degree, I have my personal tastes in the opposite gender (glasses, just on the upper side of a healthy weight, etc.). It does apply to everyone and everything, though - without even thinking about it, I form precognitions about people based on how they dress, treat their body, etc. - I try to discount these thoughts as much as possible, of course, but they're still there.

Of course we judge by appearance, it's our preliminary information source and one of the most visceral.

Still the point is since we have the ability to think critically and do more than pound our chests, we also have the ability to shed our first impressions when we get to peer more deeply into whatever it is we've judged.

Yes this cute girl lieks me and i know if she saw me in real life she would vomit, even though she has seen pics of me it still doesnt matter, she's to pretty ((((
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Sadly, yes.

Name: Scorch
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    If you've played the the metal gear solid series you should get this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast