Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon in lower tiers that can be used in upper tiers

Default Pokemon in lower tiers that can be used in upper tiers

This thread is based on a thread on smogon titled 'Favorite non-ubers you use in ubers.'

Anyway, to explain in detail, this is about Pokemon that are placed in lower tiers that you use in higher tiers. For example, I use Ludicolo in Ubers despite its placement in NU, due to its typing, great coverage, and excellent abilities.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

I think Quagsire just might be the king of "Usable lower tier Pokemon in OU that aren't actually OU yet." So many of the top stall teams in the metagame include Quagsire in some way, shape, or form. It's just a great stop to random setup sweepers (besides Haxorus, curse you Mold Breaker), not to mention it's pretty bulky, has great typing and offensive options, and even has its own reliable recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    It's just a great stop to random setup sweepers (besides Haxorus, curse you Mold Breaker), not to mention it's pretty bulky, has great typing and offensive options, and even has its own reliable recovery.
    And those annoying users of Draco Meteor, who simply fire it off until Quagsire is KO'd, as Unaware also ignores the Special Attack drops. Quagsire can somewhat negate this since Ice Punch is legal with Unaware, but it'll still have trouble getting past Kyurem, who sports great bulk unless Quagsire is carrying Stone Edge.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

Actually, Unaware only affects stat boosts, so the SpA drops would still apply.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/abilities/unaware

Not that Quagsire is a great switch-in to Draco Meteors anyways, but at least he can still stop one that already suffered a SpA drop.

rotom-c is a great option over rotom-w in voltturn teams. excellent typing, (albeit kinda redundant STABS), and makes a great scarf user.

ditto. nuff said.

scrafty, though now uu, is a great pokemon who is one of the few who can dismantle ferrocent cores.

Charizard...
    "Curse you Stealth Rock!"
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Sableye is a great pokemon to use in OU, because of its DW ability Prankster. It can make a good spinblocker for stall/HO teams, and has the ability to limit opposing HO teams with its priority Will-O-Wisp. Slowbro is also a great pokemon, with decent bulk/resistances/regenerator it makes a very solid physically defensive wall. Additionally a lot of chlorophyll sweepers like Lilligant, Sawsbuck, and Victreebell are very viable on OU sun teams.

Click my Sig to go to our xat!!!

credit to EG and extroph

Azumarill is a beast in OU rain althoug being UU.
    Gastordon can be used in ubers to stop kyogre
    Kingdra also ubers due to swift swim.
    Sawsbuck and shiftry in OU because of the sun
    Darmanitan and victini nuke in the sun with their strong STABs
    Nidoking is also strong enough to beat lots of OU walls.

There are lots of more examples that's how pokemon shift tiers.. if people would ignore pokemons in lower tiers the tiers would always stay the same except ubers.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Actually, Unaware only affects stat boosts, so the SpA drops would still apply.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/abilities/unaware

Not that Quagsire is a great switch-in to Draco Meteors anyways, but at least he can still stop one that already suffered a SpA drop.
    actually, if you're attacking an Unaware Pokemon using Draco Meteor, it does ignore the drops (though they're applied after the Unaware mon leaves the battle).

Okay, checked Bulbapedia, and you're right.

Also, let me just throw Amoonguss out there. I absolutely love the Dual Spores set, since you can effectively knock out a Pokemon with Spore and then cripple some other stuff with Stun Spore. It also switches in and out pretty easily with its good resistances, great bulk, and Regenerator. Overall, great check to Rain teams and bulky Waters in general, as well as random stuff to pretty much any offensive Pokemon that can't OHKO it (whether through Spore, Stun Spore, or one of its offensive moves).

Xatu comes to mind...

Moltres, Zapdos, Golurk, Bisharp, Slowbro, Scizor, Metagross are good in higher tiers.
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

Well I like Amoonguss, Quagsire, Dugtrio, Flygon and Nidoking are great in OU as walls or revenge killers. I find Beedrill great at seting up Toxic Spikes in RU and UU. Ferrothorn is awsome in Uber as one of the best counters to Scraf Kyogre.

Before Thundurus itself became an Über, it was my favorite non-Über to use in Übers, as I loved its priority Thunder Wave and Taunt. Now, my favorite non-Über to use in that tier is Espeon, due to its great utility, provided primarily by its excellent Ability, Magic Bounce.

a. Mienshao ... despite being UU for MR. Koffing (Smogon) University packs a wallop, given you give it something to make her faster. Give her low sweep for an upcoming scarfer forces the enemy to make a switch or risk another blow. A good competitor for the OU fighting types and Mr. Fire gorilla (darmanitan)

b. Cinccino ... with her new ability skill link she just gotten the ability astra from fire emblem (hits the enemy 5 consecutive times regardless of weapon). Very handy for outrunning enemies, ubers itself define her threat. I ko'd Groudon and Kyogre too since either of the 5 hits of the multi hitting moves will become a critical hit. Life orb is recommended for power but choice Items work fine (really, how do you deal with choice item users?)

c. Galvantula ... The 91 thunder plus rain can give even Mr. Poliwalitoed concerns. Apply choice scarf for speen and life orb for devestatiion

d. Butterfree ... Gotta like the Quiver dance status set since she can play as a mixed use very nicely
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Xatu. is a great one to use :3
    Check out Dragon-Tamer club..had to remove it because sig was too big. (Mod: As was having the water club)

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[
    Need someone to train your pokemon or breed for one ? I will do it.

amoonguss trolls people. anything with shell smash is fun.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

First thing i think of is Charizard, it's beastly in the sun
    Pkmn W: 3181 5617 3649
    Pkmn W2: 1464 4040 1673
    [IMG]http://i45.*******.com/rbijc4.jpg[/IMG]

dugtrio is great on sun teams, but no one should ever use charizard, it is bad :3

Credit to the amazing Lunar <3 and EG and BH :3

Quote Originally Posted by Izanami View Post
    dugtrio is great on sun teams, but no one should ever use charizard, it is bad :3
    There's your nostalgia, shot between the eyes.    Spoiler:- Bleeding to death, oh so slowly...:
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

@Charizard: It can actually be quite a wallbreaker provided it's the lead Pokemon, but struggles against more offensive teams.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

I'm still a big fan of Sheer Force Nidoking to be used in the upper tiers. Although lately, the LO + Sheer Force set is easily overpowered. I've been considering a Choice Scarf set with Thunder/Fire Blast/Ice Beam/Earth Power. Thunder has a 12% chance to OHKO 4 HP/ 0 Sp Def neutral natured Keldeo. Thunder has a 60% chance to OHKO Tornadus-T and Fire Blast/Ice Beam obliterates Breloom. He is also a great check to Terrakion's Stone Edge/Close Combat coverage.

Oh and Xatu is my all time favorite poke. I used to run Espeon, but the lack of reliable recovery outside of sun just hurts. I had this battle on PO and he tricked a choice specs onto Xatu from Whimsicott (This was an OU Battle). I proceeded to Night Shade figuring he can't set up any hazards/taunt me so I might as well attack. He sent out Forretress and then used Block which bounced back not letting Forretress leave. I figured yup he comes the volt switch. He then proceeded to set up stealth rock and spikes and I'm KOing him slowly with Night Shade. Let's say that battle didn't end well for him lol

Scarf Heracross. It still hits like an armored truck in OU, and Megahorn provides a nice STAB alternative to the obvious close combat. Not to mention Guts (Toxic Spikes, Will o Wisp).

Yanmega, with proper support, can be quite a threatening sweeper. Not too many things can take a specs-boosted bug buzz or air slash, (except for that blasted heatran) and speed boost considerably sweetens the deal.

I also ran cryogonal in OU for a period. It is shockingly good against hydreigon and can spin away spikes with ease. Not to mention haze and levitate.

None shall oppose our reign!

Check out my fanfic, Pokelypse chronicles. You won't regret it.

http://pokelypse.blogspot.com/

Input is appreciated.

I used Gallade for a spell in OU, and he did very well. High Sp. Def combined with Bulk Up, Drain Punch, and very good coverage + priority with Shadow Sneak is quite the combination.

Credit to FrozenConstellation

Pokemon no one would ever dream of using can used to full effect under the right circumstances. Just check out this video to understand more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNML...e_gdata_player

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast