Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #87

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Having a look at optional moves.
    Giga drain is a strong recovery move
    Hp fire stops skarmory and ferrothorn.
    Pain split is a ok recovery move, but you have recover.
    1. Giga Drain has mostly-redundant coverage with Water STAB. Mostly, you'll be using it on other bulky Water Types and other Pokemon have the offense to do so.
    2. Skarmory and Ferrothorn hate being burned by Will-o-Wisp or Scald and are both neutral to Ice Beam. Other Hidden Power Types could be considered because of this.
    3. Pain Split is an Offensive-Recovery Move without being an actual offensive Move. Pain Split does rely on your HP being below your opponent's for maximum efficacy, yes, but you'll often be taking damage because Jellicent is a bulky Water and that's its job - damage soaking.

Why waste time restoring your HP with a redundant-coverage-and-somewhat-blockable Giga Drain or by using a Recover and not dishing out passive damage? Pain Split is crippling to a fragile opponent if you are at critical HP levels and you balance it with your opponent's (hopefully full) HP. Then you can potentially revenge-KO them if they cannot keep up their damage output with your bulk. Skarmory, Blissey, Chans-Eviolite, most defensive-style Water Types, and Ferrothorn aren't that bulky with a huge chunk o' health stolen, either. I'm not sure of interaction with Liquid Ooze, but it does make you recover while dishing out damage without relying on Grass Type's mostly-redundant coverage.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

I was kind of disappointed at the lack of Doubles and Triple sets in the last few POTW's. Granted, Drapion doesn't really have any Doubles options other than a gimmicky Acupressure set, but I was surprised not to see at least a Fake Out or Tailwind support set for Crobat or something like a Fake Out and Hypnosis set for Gravity teams. Anyways here's a couple of Jellicent sets for that section.

Trick Room Setter

Item: Mental Herb/ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Nature: Quiet
    EV's: 252 Hp, 4 Def., 252 Sp. Atk.
    IV's: 0 Speed
    Moves:
    Trick Room
    Protect
    Water Spout/ Scald
    Shadow Ball/ Ice Beam/ Giga Drain

More often than not if you encounter a Jellicent in Doubles, this is the set you'll see, almost always paired up with a Rage Powder Amoongus. Ghost types are easily the most reliable Trick Room setters in doubles, and Jellicent's no exception. Mental Herb ensures Trick Room comes into play even if they try to Taunt Jellicent into submission while Fake Outing Amoongus. Of course you could drop the Mental Herb and have both pokemon Protect during the first turn to block Fake Out and set up TR safely the next turn, but if you know that the Fake Out+Taunt is coming why not use that turn to absorb the Taunt and blast them with Water Spout, then set up the next turn with Rage powder and TR anyways. Sitrus Berry can also be used to get some health back after setting up TR to power up Water Spout. Protect, as always, is a necessity in Doubles. Scald is the reliable alternative to Water Spout. Shadow Ball is a solid STAB, but it can be substituted with Ice Beam for coverage if the team needs it, or Giga Drain as a form of recovery (though it is a little redundant as Jellicent is commonly played with Amoongus already).

Water Spout Spam

Item: Water Gem/ Choice Specs
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Nature: Modest / Timid
    EV's: 4 Hp, 252 Sp. Atk., 252 Speed
    Moves:
    Water Spout
    Shadow Ball
    Ice Beam /Giga Drain
    Protect/ Ice Beam/ Giga Drain

Remember how I said the TR setter was the the most common Jellicent set in Doubles? This set takes advantage of that to hit foes hard with Water Spout while they're expecting TR, and do it again and again and again. +1 Water Spout can be devastating to opponents, particularly in the rain and with a speedy Surf abuser keeping Jellicent healthy. Oposing Water Absorb and Storm Drain users can come in and take advantage of this, but most won't like getting hit with Giga Drain, or Ice Beam for those people who try to use Cradily and Maractus. Water Gem increases Water Spout's power for the first turn and allows you to use other moves, while Choice Specs gives a constant boost to all the moves at the cost of being locked in the move. Obviously you'd want to trade out Protect for a coverage move if you go the Specs route.
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

I used once jellicent in a hail double team paired with vaporeon to create a double water absorb surf Spam

something like this
    @ leftovers (actually life orb is useable)
    252 HP, 252 sp.attack, 4 defense
    Modest
    Water Absorb
    -Surf
    -Recover
    -Shadow Ball
    -Blizzard/ice beam

the aim is to partner with vaporeon and sapam surf maybe rain would be better but I just was playing around

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

I know from training a jellicent myself that it would be a great partner to a rock or steel type (as long as you don't use surf), as its immunity to fighting moves and access to psychic would take down fighting types.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 10/11 NEW!! 10/14
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

Really, What makes you guys think of Jellicent as Pringles and admire that MUSTACHE!?

Anyways, Simple poisoning can fairly work like only 1 layer of toxic spikes since it HATES POISONING or poisoning from Sludge bomb. Roserade is fairly nice to use for th immunity of toxic and ignores the Will o Wisp.

I know, this ones gimmicky but try Gurdurr with guts and eviolite. It works nice in a pedigree
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    Really, What makes you guys think of Jellicent as Pringles and admire that MUSTACHE!?

Anyways, Simple poisoning can fairly work like only 1 layer of toxic spikes since it HATES POISONING or poisoning from Sludge bomb. Roserade is fairly nice to use for th immunity of toxic and ignores the Will o Wisp.

I know, this ones gimmicky but try Gurdurr with guts and eviolite. It works nice in a pedigree
    Mustachios are the best.

Nah, jellicent doesn't turn useless with normal poisoning toxic poison is much more, with normal poison and burn jellicent can still wall things with toxic it will struggle to stay more than a few turns.

And why not conkeldurr? it is OU after all..
    Most conkeldurrs are walled now cause they use ice punch>Payback

Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    I used once jellicent in a hail double team paired with vaporeon to create a double water absorb surf Spam

something like this
    @ leftovers (actually life orb is useable)
    252 HP, 252 sp.attack, 4 defense
    Modest
    Water Absorb
    -Surf
    -Recover
    -Shadow Ball
    -Blizzard/ice beam

the aim is to partner with vaporeon and sapam surf maybe rain would be better but I just was playing around
    Wait! This could work with gastrodon, as storm drain can make it hit harder with its moves, and gastrodon can surf to help jellicent

Jellicent is simply one of the best special wall available in the game. With the Great Water/Ghost typing, even greater movepool, and one of the greatest abilities a bulky water could ask for, jellicent is here to frustrate opponents unable to get rid of it! It also has great support options as well as disruptive options such as trick. THIS GUY'S MOVEPOOL IS AMAZING!! The only thing keeping jellicent from excelling is the lack of an offensive presence and it's speed is not great but it has access to trick room. Have I already said that it has a great movepool? Anyway, Jellicent only have 4 weaknesses to Grass, electric, ghost and dark. The first three are mainly special and jellicent is able to take a decently strong super effective special hit! Dark is notably dangerous for the popularity of moves such as crunch and night slash's hax.

This fish's jelli-Scent will make you sick!
    Jellicent@leftovers
    Ability: Water absorb
    Nature: +SpDEF/-ATT
    EVs: 252SpDEF/252HP/4SpATT
    Moveset:
    -Toxic/Will-O-wisp
    -Hex/shadow ball
    -Recover
    -Substitute/Protect

Easy set for a special wall. Toxic or will-O-wisp will be your way to statusing opponent for increasing the damage output as well as crippling opponent. While toxic has better accuracy, will-O-wisp can mean the end of a physical sweeper (Like tyranitar) your main counter. Hex can deal massive damage for a statused opponent while shadow ball is a great reliable attack if you got taunted cz hex's power is somewhat weak if the opponent is not staused! Recover is so great, healing you whenever you want and whatever the conditions are. In the last slot is your way to stay healthy as well as a way of scouting and avoiding attack. Substitute is reliable at the cost of 25% HP while protect is free but rather unreliable for multiple uses.

Wait! This could work with gastrodon, as storm drain can make it hit harder with its moves, and gastrodon can surf to help jellicent
    So what your saying is that Gastrodon is a partner? *Snaps fingers*
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...8#post15775448 I'm back guys. Kind of. I won't be really active and sorry for any inconvenience I've caused!
        Spoiler:- B2W2:

Help the eggs!

Serebii War Fiction Story

Quote Originally Posted by Chidori__O View Post
    So what your saying is that Gastrodon is a partner? *Snaps fingers*
    In a nut shell: yes.

In a nut shell: yes.
    Okay. Wouldn't any pokemon with the ability Storm Drain be a partner (Cradily, Gastrodon, Lumineon and Maractus)?
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...8#post15775448 I'm back guys. Kind of. I won't be really active and sorry for any inconvenience I've caused!

Help the eggs!

Okay. Wouldn't any pokemon with the ability Storm Drain be a partner (Cradily, Gastrodon, Lumineon and Maractus)?
    Any Pokemon with water immunity can be a good partner in doubles for surf, But Lumineon and maractus sucks credily doesn't make the core well then gastordon/vaporeon Since they have good defenses and sp.attack.
    Last edited by Ilan; 29th August 2012 at 9:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Any Pokemon with water immunity can be a good partner in doubles for surf, But Lumineon and maractus sucks credily doesn't make the core well then gastordon/vaporeon Since they have good defenses and sp.attack.
    Cradily is built to wall and has a Base Sp.Atk 4 points lower than Jellicent. With Storm Drain buffs and Trick Room active, it can bust some heads alongside Jellicent with Earth Power, Ancientpower, and Giga Drain while being a pain to take out from its endurance as well. Doubles may not be friendly to the Jellicent + Cradily combo, but Triples just might be...
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

It's Pun Time! A few pun examples for Jellicent:

"I'll take a Pringles potato chip and EAT IT!"
    "I'm the Big Jellicent, baron of all special walling matter, king of potato chips the world over!" (King Bob-omb reference, Jellicent version)
    Pringles: Butter and Jelly
    Pringles: 50 Cent Jelly
    The Princess is jealous for not being a jellyfish. (Female only)
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by ArcanusX View Post
    It's Pun Time! A few pun examples for Jellicent:

"I'll take a Pringles potato chip and EAT IT!" I lol'd at that but I don't think people will get the reference. Also, why Pringles?
    "I'm the Big Jellicent, baron of all special walling matter, king of potato chips the world over!" (King Bob-omb reference, Jellicent version) Mario 64, right?
    Pringles: Butter and Jelly Don't get/understand.
    Pringles: 50 Cent Jelly Don't get/understand.
    The Princess is jealous for not being a jellyfish. (Female only) How do you come up with these?
    Response in bold.

Help the eggs!

1: Also, why Pringles?
    2: Mario 64, right?
    3: Don't get/understand.
    4: Don't get/understand.
    5: How do you come up with these?
    1: Jellicent and the Pringles mascot have identical mustaches.
    2: That's right! And Jellicent was nicknamed earlier (by me) as Bob-omb (DAT STACHE!)
    3: Have you ever knew about the butter and jelly bread/sandwich/toast?
    4: Jellicent=Jelly+Cent and there's a rapper known as 50 Cent.
    5: Well, my puns are so terrible (at least somebody else said that), or maybe you are jealous/Jelly/<insert a random Jelly based pun here>, you know what I mean.

Another pun example:
    Everybody knows that mustache is EVIL! (The set I post earlier)
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

A Frill Ride of Excitement!
    Nature: Bold
    Item: Eviolite
    EVs: 252 HP 252 Defense 4 sp d
    Recover
    Will-o-wisp/Toxic
    Protect/Hex?
    Acid Armor

Not good with LC sets but this Frillish is built to take Physical hits while wear the opponent down.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    A Frill Ride of Excitement!
    Nature: Bold
    Item: Eviolite
    EVs: 252 HP 252 Defense 4 sp d
    Recover
    Will-o-wisp/Toxic
    Protect/Hex?
    Acid Armor

Not good with LC sets but this Frillish is built to take Physical hits while wear the opponent down.
    Frillish works better as a Sp Def wall, and EV's in LC dun work that way. But Acid Armor is a cool idea, but since like LC is filled with Misdreavuses and Lileeps, it kinda goes to waste, which sucks

Most Frillish use like, Scald/Shadow Ball/Will-O-Wisp/Recover, with 236 HP/196 Def/76 SpD Bold or Calm.

It gives it like 25 HP/22 Def/26 Sp Def, which is still pretty good
    ayd22: what's it like to use broken items to make up for lackluster skills
    ayd22: yeah your playing great right not
    ayd22: rethink your strategy
    Togoro: get styled upon
    The Pokemon Showdown Little Cup Ladder

I do nothing anymore. Oops
    PASBL

Quote Originally Posted by KingTorterraXIV View Post
    Frillish works better as a Sp Def wall, and EV's in LC dun work that way. But Acid Armor is a cool idea, but since like LC is filled with Misdreavuses and Lileeps, it kinda goes to waste, which sucks

Most Frillish use like, Scald/Shadow Ball/Will-O-Wisp/Recover, with 236 HP/196 Def/76 SpD Bold or Calm.

It gives it like 25 HP/22 Def/26 Sp Def, which is still pretty good
    Yeah I know about Acid Armor, but for Jellicent, it could be in the Other Options as being paired with Will-o-wisp for taking Physical hits better but kinda wastes a move slot for it.

Do you people even know what a pun is?

Ability: Cursed Body
    Item: Wise Specs
    Modest w/ 252 Sp attack, 128 Defense, 130 HP
    Hydro Pump
    Hex/Shadow Ball/Night Shade
    Ice Beam/Sludge Bomb
    Will-o-wisp

Partners:
    Surf-users if Water Absorb is used, espically while holding an Absorb Bulb.
    Trick Room-users
    Mud Sport-users to soften the blow on Electric-type attacks.

Countering:
    Dispite its defense is lower that its special defense, its Cursed Body is a problem. Although, it says that Cursed Body only activates when hit with an direct-contact attack like Power Whip; previous battles against it says that it disables any attack that does direct damage like Thunder. But it only briefly disables one move at a time per pokemon.
    Here's one idea, to anticipate Cursed Body, have two attack that are Electric/Grass/Dark/Ghost-types.
    Another idea is ability-changing moves like Entrainment, Simple Beam, Worry Seed, or Skill Swap.
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 2nd September 2012 at 3:54 AM. Reason: Recent reply
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Jellicent
    @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Shadow Ball
    - Scald
    - Recover
    My Jellicent set, works well and gives the jelly some def, while still keeping some Sp.Def.

Credit to iPokemon^

Other Options:
    Acid Armor- explained but paired with Will-o-wisp can make you physically bulky
    Pain Split- can reduce opponents HP while recovering some but Recover is better
    Damp- kidding! don't use this.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
    Do you people even know what a pun is?
    Well, POTW isn't just puns, it's also jokes as well.

Help the eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    Ability: Cursed Body
    Item: Wise Specs (if Hydro Pump)/Leftovers or Cell Battery (if Waterfall)
    If Hydro Pump, Modest w/ 252 Sp attack, 84 Defense, 84 Sp Defense, 90 HP
    If Waterfall, Naughty/Lax w/ 168 Attack, 168 Sp attack, 168 Defense, 6 HP
    Hydro Pump/Waterfall
    Hex/Shadow Ball/Night Shade
    Ice Beam/Sludge Bomb
    Will-o-wisp

Partners:
    Surf-users if Water Absorb is used, espically while holding an Absorb Bulb.
    Trick Room-users
    Mud Sport-users to soften the blow on Electric-type attacks.

Countering:
    This one of the pokemon you need to set up every pokemon to watch out for.
    Dispite its defense is lower that its special defense, its Cursed Body is a problem. Although, it says that Cursed Body only activates when hit with an direct-contact attack like Power Whip; previous battles against it says that it disables any attack that does direct damage like Thunder. But it only briefly disables one move at a time per pokemon.
    For this one, to anticipate Cursed Body, have two attack that are Electric/Grass/Dark/Ghost-types.
    Ability-changing moves like Entrainment, Simple Beam, Worry Seed, or Skill Swap.
    If you Slash too many moves that's not a set that's it's whole movepool also waterfall shouldn't be used. the EVs and natures are quite bad..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast