Thread: Pokecube

Default Pokecube

Hello everyone,

I want to share with the community a project a friend and I have been working on over the past year. We came up with a way to create a ‘Cube’ out of the Pokemon TCG. For those unaware, Cube is a concept that comes from the card game Magic: the Gathering. Cube is a group of cards that are put together for players to draft and play with. This attempts to simulate the process that happens at some pre-releases (opening packs and building decks from those packs), but instead with some of the most powerful cards printed throughout the entire game. Have you ever wanted to play Super Energy Removal to remove Energy from your opponent’s Reshiram? Play Professor Oak and then attach Expert Belt to Machamp Prime?

An introduction to what the Cube is about: http://pokecube.com/2012/05/02/what-...-a-pokecube-3/
    A visual list of the cards in the Cube: http://pokecube.com/2012/08/21/visual-list/
    A written list of the cards in the Cube: http://pokecube.com/2012/05/02/the-current-pok/

Cube has been a blast to build and play. It has been a great way for me (and others) to keep playing the Pokemon TCG without having to go to events or keep up with the most current decks. The Pokecube list has been pretty refined, but we are welcome to discussion and suggestions for cards to include.

Pretty cool idea of "PokeCube!" I think it would be pretty helpful, instead of having to go to all those events, as you stated. Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Legendarys View Post
    Pretty cool idea of "PokeCube!" I think it would be pretty helpful, instead of having to go to all those events, as you stated. Keep up the great work!
    Thanks! It has also been a great way to get people to experience the Pokemon TCG who otherwise wouldn't had.

After a long overview of you're cards, there's not a whole lot you can do with these cards in combination, cards I would add in would be memory berry, junk arm, energy switch, super scoop up, night mantinence or super rod (revive and energy retrieval do not make up for these cards considering the fact that if you get one of those cards, all the other 7 players will grab other combinations of a deck you're trying to pull to help themselves out and mess you're decklist up), I would definitely get rid of fisherman for palmers contribution as it is a better card, being stuck with that much energy and no way to get it out of you're hand fast other then to wait another turn to shuffle them back into you;re deck or you might have to wait a few turn's so you're opponent's going to super energy removal you to death, dual ball, more trainer's instead of supporter's.

I would have reduced the amount of special energy or added in enhanced hammer to give them a counter because right now everything I see on that list for multipul deck construction is very unbalanced because of that. I believe that if you want to give a person a good experience into pokemon tcg the first step should always be deck construction, and the first step to that is to move cards around that can balance it out.

Personally I can't even see a solid decklist to play in that mess of cards, each round would be extremely slow, nobody is likly to get enough synergy cards to pull of a successful win due to the draft style of playt, depending on the amount of rounds (we'll say 4 plus top cut) held this can last somewhere up to two day's (so this would not be a good idea for a league unless you where willing to hold onto the deck's for next weekend and what happen's if one of you're 8 player's can't make it next week).

Don't get me wrong It's a good idea and bunch of cool looking pokemon cards.
    Last edited by ven?; 11th September 2012 at 7:56 AM.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

Quote Originally Posted by ven? View Post
    After a long overview of you're cards, there's not a whole lot you can do with these cards in combination, cards I would add in would be memory berry, junk arm, energy switch, super scoop up, night mantinence or super rod (revive and energy retrieval do not make up for these cards considering the fact that if you get one of those cards, all the other 7 players will grab other combinations of a deck you're trying to pull to help themselves out and mess you're decklist up), I would definitely get rid of fisherman for palmers contribution as it is a better card, being stuck with that much energy and no way to get it out of you're hand fast other then to wait another turn to shuffle them back into you;re deck or you might have to wait a few turn's so you're opponent's going to super energy removal you to death, dual ball, more trainer's instead of supporter's.

I would have reduced the amount of special energy or added in enhanced hammer to give them a counter because right now everything I see on that list for multipul deck construction is very unbalanced because of that. I believe that if you want to give a person a good experience into pokemon tcg the first step should always be deck construction, and the first step to that is to move cards around that can balance it out.

Personally I can't even see a solid decklist to play in that mess of cards, each round would be extremely slow, nobody is likly to get enough synergy cards to pull of a successful win due to the draft style of playt, depending on the amount of rounds (we'll say 4 plus top cut) held this can last somewhere up to two day's (so this would not be a good idea for a league unless you where willing to hold onto the deck's for next weekend and what happen's if one of you're 8 player's can't make it next week).

Don't get me wrong It's a good idea and bunch of cool looking pokemon cards.
    Thanks for the suggestions, always looking for feedback. I could see a switch to some of the Trainers you discussed, since those cards focus on the ability to replay some of your more powerful cards, which is a big deal when ever card only appears once. If going with Junk Arm, Item Finder would also be included since they are similar. We will try some of these out and let you know how it goes.

As for special Energies, while it might seem like a lot, most players end up anywhere from 0-2 of them in the draft so there is no fear of someone having too many. This makes Enhanced Hammer work as a weaker Energy Removal.

These decks are not as fine tuned as tournament decks and that is for a few reasons. One is the singleton nature of the Cube, so only having one copy of a card really reduces some of the redundancy power that constructed decks have. The decks are also weaker because players are building them from a shared pool, instead of whatever cards they can get their hands on. Even though they might seem weaker, I would argue that the decks are just different. There is skill in picking cards in turn with other players and then putting those cards together into a deck. This adds a bit to the fun of the Cube and makes it a different experience every time.

Since most decks are around the same power level, games usually don't take too long. They might not be as fast as tournament decks, but they are definitely faster than the decks people build out of packs at Pre-releases.
    Last edited by PokeCuber; 13th September 2012 at 9:50 PM.

Thank you for this thread.

The other day, I was thinking about how much fun a pokemon cube would be. I am an avid magic drafter and random game player. I was about trying to create my own pokemon cube, but realized how little I knew about the pokemon tcg after the first couple sets. I hope your cool with me copying your cube and proxying it up for me and my friends to play.

I do have one question. How do steel and dark energy work? When I was playing steel and dark energy weren't basic energy. How do I use the abilities of pokemon like Houndoom if I havn't drafted Dark Energy. If the game has changed to the point where dark and steel energy are basic energy without abilities I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm not sure.

Once again thank you, and I hope you update this cube for future sets.