Thread: ToonYoungster's Pokemon Character Project

Default ToonYoungster's Pokemon Character Project

I've recently started a project of mine, mostly for drawing practice, but also an excuse to draw every important character in the Pokemon games! Basically, I'm going to use the character's latest game sprite as the pose and draw them in my own style. I've already done the Kanto gym leaders, and I want to get some feedback before continuing. Here are the rules I've made for myself.

1) Each character's trainer class will be their current position as of Pokemon Black 2 and White 2, with a few exceptions.
    2) No one, expect the player, in the Pokemon World Tournament will be of a PKMN trainer class, despite being classified as such.
    3) Agatha and Lorelei will still be ranked as Elite Four.
    4) Members of villainous teams will be listed by their rank, even if they are/were of another trainer class.
    5) Player characters and rivals will be given the class PKMN Trainer, except Red and Blue.
    6) I will use the characters' lastest game sprite.
    7) Quotes will be used for anyone without a specific title.
    8) I plan on holding off on the Hoenn Region, in case the RSE remakes (which WILL happen!) will revamp the characters' outfits.
    9) Updates will be made with two characters per post.

I may add on to this list as I go on. Wish me luck!

BROCK
    "The Rock-Solid Pokémon Trainer!"

MISTY
    "The Tomboyish Mermaid!"
    If you play Pokemon with your favorites and don't rush through the game to start EV training, IV breeding, etc... I salute you.

Ozzy Hotspot Buster Zeke Stewie Sundae
    This is my Pokemon White team. I beat the gym leaders, the Elite Four, N, and Ghetis without evolving my Pokemon. I love this team.

Help me complete the National Pokedex!
    Current Status: 642/646 Still Need: , , ,
    Events up for trade: ASH , FEB2012 , TRU , TRU , 2012MAY , ALAMOS , TRU , Movie14
    Platinum FC: 4511-6675-9996
    HeartGold FC: 3654-3503-9839
    White FC: 3739-9038-0200

those are so cool!! i can't wait to see the rest finished.
    Follow lillipup for more pokemon art.

join this written rpg with me journey to delta region. looks fun!
    new fc 4728 5304 1250
    I'm a girl

^ Thank you! I had a bit of trouble making Misty look good enough Anyways, update!

LT. SURGE
    "The Lightning American!"

ERIKA
    "The Nature-Loving Princess!"
    If you play Pokemon with your favorites and don't rush through the game to start EV training, IV breeding, etc... I salute you.

This is my Pokemon White team. I beat the gym leaders, the Elite Four, N, and Ghetis without evolving my Pokemon. I love this team.

Events up for trade: ASH , FEB2012 , TRU , TRU , 2012MAY , ALAMOS , TRU , Movie14

Hmm... Surge's arms are rather gorilla-like, proportionally speaking. The elbow should end around the ribcage on an average human, and the tips of the fingers should stop just a little bit below the crotch when standing up. If he were to put his arms down here, they'd go to at least his knees. I think it'd be rectified by shortening his arms and making his legs longer -- Surge seems like a pretty tall and well-built guy, for obvious reasons.

Erika looks decent, except for two things. One, her mouth is a little too high up and close to her nose on her face, and two, the shape of her figure is very strange. Kimonos like that are rather flattening due to how they drape, so while she should still have some semblance of a figure, it's a little overstated here. Also, although I don't think you meant to, the curve that I think is supposed to be for her legs being slightly bent looks more like her hips are way too far down. I think I can see what you were going for, but draping fabric is difficult, so it didn't work quite the way you intended.

So I think proportions/anatomy and the gravity and drape of fabrics are good things to practice with. You have a good start, though, and your lines are very clean, so it's hardly a hopeless case. :P

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

^ Thanks a lot for the feedback. Yeah, I know there was something off when I made these, especially Surge's arms and Erika's legs. I couldn't quite figure out what went wrong, so thanks for pointing it out.
    Last edited by Toonyoungster; 4th September 2012 at 3:15 PM.

I always think its a good idea to be truthful about things like this, they dont seem that bad at a first glance, well, exept for the faces. The faces seem to be a little out of proportion, and eyes seem to be in the wrong place. Misty's body seems a little strangly proportioned to, as mentioned before L.T. surge's arms are slightly gorrila like, they are to long. Erika seems to have a non-exist
        Spoiler:- games I want:

Click the banner to check out my semi-regularly updated chiptune filled soundcloud.

Quote Originally Posted by absolalone111 View Post
    I always think its a good idea to be truthful about things like this, they dont seem that bad at a first glance, well, exept for the faces. The faces seem to be a little out of proportion, and eyes seem to be in the wrong place. Misty's body seems a little strangly proportioned to, as mentioned before L.T. surge's arms are slightly gorrila like, they are to long. Erika seems to have a non-exist
    Thank you for being honest. This project really is meant more to practice my drawing, antatomy, proportion, etc, so I really appreciative the feedback.

Time for Janine and Sabrina! I feel like the quality in these two is so inconsistent. I'm really proud of how I drew Janine, which is ironic since she's probably my least favorite Kanto gym leader. Sabrina on the other hand...I really f***** up on. *sigh* Stiff hair, awkward legs, too low waist, you name it. Maybe I'll redo her someday.

JANINE
    "The Poisonous Ninja Master"

SABRINA
    "The Master of Psychic Pokémon!"

You better have Burn Heal, 'cause Blaine's in the house! I'm pretty satisfied with this, minus the REALLY long left arm. Bleh. And also, an ex-gym leader, Giovanni! I went through a lot of attempts trying to get his face right, and even now I don't like it. I just don't think it captures his cold and experienced outlook on life, ya know? As usual, please give feedback!

BLAINE
    "The Hotheaded Quiz Master!"

GIOVANNI
    "There is nothing I wish to say to you.
    I will concentrate solely on bettering myself, and none other."

i love blaine! and if the arm is too long it's only marginally.
    i totally missed the girls too. sabrina looks great! janine's face is perfect! at least in my opinion.
    it's good to have thing proportioned, but stick to your style. that's what makes it so fun.
    for example. it's ok for surge's mouth to be a little farther from his chin cuz it makes him look smug.
    but for girls it doesn't work as well. they look more sly when they are smug. so yeah.
    it's all a matter of whether they balance with themselves or not. anyway i like your pictures.

once you finish this project let me know. i'd like to commission a few pics from you. if youre ok with that.
    Follow lillipup for more pokemon art.

join this written rpg with me journey to delta region. looks fun!
    new fc 4728 5304 1250
    I'm a girl

Sorry for the slow update! Just started college a few weeks ago, and plus the new game came out so...yeah. I only have one gym leader this time, but I think its my best one yet. It's...GARY MOTHER****** OAK!...I mean Blue.

BLUE
    "Smell ya later!"