Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Ash, Iris & Trip's Final Battle (753)

Yeah it honestly sucks because Iris isn't in the league yet they chose to focus so heavily on her over Ash.

This was a good episode. It was nice to see Krokorok evolve.

Great episode to finish the Junior Cup! Sad to see Dragonite lose control after seeming to bond so well with Iris. Looking forward to seeing how Iris and Dragonite develop their friendship over the next few episodes! Georgia and Burgundy were particularly funny during this arc, they're a combination I love to see together.
    nothing lasts forever, but this is getting good now.
    ~I've claimed Turtwig~

Wow, I really feel sorry for Ash not landing one attack.
    I mean, if (this is a massive IF) this was the game, Trip would be those NPC's who annoyingly use something to ether increase their evasion or speed so you have trouble landing any attack.

Claimed by me!

It was similar to BW042 - Ash gets to the final of a 16 trainer competition only to loose to a rival who up to this point in the series has shown Ash very little respect as a trainer. I will make the following observations.

Ash vs Iris
    Ash has finally beaten Iris in an official battle. It sure took long enough. I would like to think that it would mean that Iris will have to finally admit that Ash is not just a little kid and to stop acting so smug towards him. But it's not really like that because the main reason Iris lost is because Dragonite stopped listening to her. The battle was more a focus on Iris/Dragonite than Ash vs Iris. I liked the fact that Ash was sympathetic towards Iris and didn't rub it in her face. It shows maturity. She did not give him the same grace in the club battle episode. I actually feel very sorry for Iris particulary when Burgundy and Georgia were making fun of her - that's a pity because I wanted Ash's defeat of Iris to have a little bit of vindication in it.

Arguably the problem is that Ash should have beaten Iris back in the first BW series at the Club battle finale - it should not have taken this long for him to do so and Ash should have been given as cleaner win as Iris had. The fact that the outcome of this battle was at least party due to 1. Krokodile's evolution and 2. Dragonite not listening gives room to question the outcome. In short Ash is a much better trainer than Iris but the fact that the loss was due to dragonite not obeying kind of prevents that fact being displayed.

Ash vs Trip
    This was just bad. Ash had a massive type advantage over Trip yet he still lost. And yet in BW042 he lost because of a type disadvantage - it's not excatly consistent. I'm starting to wonder if the writer just didn't like Ash. His performance in Unova is mediocre compared with other regions. It's not exactly fair that Ash lost to Trip when Trip is a much less experienced trainer and had been rather rude to Ash in previous episodes when all Ash was trying to do was be his friend. At least Trip wasn't mean to Ash this time - He was just silent. I don't see what's so significant about Trip winning anyway - It just turns the junior cup into a filler arch just like Club Battle. Ash hasn't really gained anything from it.

Ash compared with Serena
    I can't remember the name of the episode but in XY Serena's first performance sees her suffering a massive humilation due to her Fennekin tripping over a cord and ends with the emotional scene of her bursting into tears and cutting her hair. Rewatching this episode makes that ending seem a little bit silly. Here Ash and his Pokémon despite having worked much harder and put in more effort than Serena ever had suffers a crushing loss to a trainer with less experience and who was rude to Ash at every meeting. Yet we see no crying or hair cutting from Ash - nor did we see it in BW042. Why? Same goes for Pikachu.

It's sad really because throughout BW Ash and Pikachu do everything right and really do try to do their best yet it's never enough. And Pikachu looses to opponents it should never have lost to. Serena???

Overall I'm giving this episode 8/10 because it's still a very good episode even if it didn't do what I would have liked it's still decent. And at least it was Pignite who took the beating and not Pikachu. Personally I think Ash should have won the Club Battle tournament and loose to Iris here - Then Iris becomes the one who looses to Trip.
    Last edited by Pikachu52; 29th July 2015 at 11:39 AM.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple. Ones that will make them see the world in a new light.

Why? simply most of serena trainings are clearly offscreen. That's all. Like ash many times in other series, so many think that ash doesn't training enough his pokemon for the same reason. sometimes writers show the work and training, sometimes not. Like in the last pokemon performance for serena, we dont see her "training" for make pokepuff before, but all in a flashback that show an "offscreen" moment. Even in the "hair-cut" episode, there is a brief flashback.

honestly too training episodes, even if they build-up the "climax" for the final competition, aren't needed every time, tend to be repetitive and boring. Instead IMO sometimes are better other things like serena confronting her mother or her bursting into tears and cutting her hair, this was a very good idea and a high moment in the anime.
    Last edited by 04n70n10; 27th July 2015 at 4:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 04n70n10 View Post
    Why? simply most of serena trainings are clearly offscreen. That's all. Like ash many times in other series, so many think that ash doesn't training enough his pokemon for the same reason. sometimes writers show the work and training, sometimes not. Like in the last pokemon performance for serena, we dont see her "training" for make pokepuff before, but all in a flashback that show an "offscreen" moment. Even in the "hair-cut" episode, there is a brief flashback.

honestly too training episodes, even if they build-up the "climax" for the final competition, aren't needed every time, tend to be repetitive and boring. Instead IMO sometimes are better other things like serena confronting her mother or her bursting into tears and cutting her hair, this was a very good idea and a high moment in the anime.
    I agree with what your saying. There isn't a need for constanlty having training episodes. The mix up is reasonable but I think the show is better when it focuses on the Pokémon rather than the human characters.

I was simply to drawing attention to the fact that throughtout best wishes and certainly here Ash puts everything in but it's never enough. He made it all the way to the final but lost to Serperior without landing a single hit despite his type advantage. Same in the Club Battle. Ash's loss in both cases is considerably more heartbreaking than Serena's in XY (her first appearence did she honestly expect to win) yet Ash is not given the dramatic scenes of depression that Serena is. Why?

Why did the XY writers try to turn Serena into a massive Woobie over one loss that was entirely her and Fennekin's fault and yet give Ash the most unfair losses in BW - worse than that they did it to Pikachu also. Similarly if Ash is able to recover so quickly after his loss to Trip - he was upset but Dawn and Cilan cheer him up - does it not make Serena's whole crying and cutting her hair scene seem just too pathetic to be take seriously despite it being a major point in her development. That was the main point of my comparison.
    This is a story about Ash Ketchum and his loving partner Pikachu. These two share a bond far beyond that of ordinary pokemon and trainer. Together they pursue Ash's dream to be pokemon master and make friends with many different people and pokemon along the way. He and Pikachu train everyday to make this happen to fulfill their dream. But the path to victory is lined with danger. There are many challenges ahead for this couple. Ones that will make them see the world in a new light.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213