Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Community POTW #88

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCrow View Post
    I find that hard to believe...with eviolite, ivysaur's nature-neutral defensive stats jump up to 324 HP/~327 Defense/~387 Sp. Def.
    In addition to that, ivysaur has access to 3 forms of recovery: Giga Drain, Synthesis, and Leech Seed. Ivysaur's speed stat may cap at 219 or 240 based on nature, but it also can abuse chlorophyll, thus doubling its speed into, at least, 438...sure ivysaur doesn't get leftovers, and it's even more weather dependant than venusaur (if that's even possible), but i see merits to using it
    But she is right. You could excuse Leftovers for the bulk of the Eviolite, since it does give Ivysaur more immediate bulk. Unfortunately, there's still the fact that if you're running a defensive set (which is the only reason conceivable to use Ivysaur in the first place), you have to run significant speed investment just to outpace the unboosted metagame. In fact, if Ivysaur and Venusaur were to both be EV'd to outspeed base 130s in the Sun with the rest in HP and SpD, Venusaur would have about 87% of Ivysaur's bulk, about 93% factoring in the added "bulk" from Leftovers, and all with a greater resistance to passive damage and the ability to take advantage of SubSeed far more effectively. Not only that, but Venusaur can at least be somewhat of an offensive presence even without much investment. Ivysaur's uninvested base 80 SpA and 62 Atk stats aren't going to be doing much of that.

When you look at it, SubSeed is honestly the only defensive set that either should be running, and the fact is that you don't need a lot of bulk to SubSeed. The whole point of the strategy is to avoid the opponent's attacks through Sub and Protect while constantly healing yourself with Leech Seed and Leftovers. Even Whimsicott, frail as it is, is notorious as a SubSeeder. So the added bulk of Ivysaur wouldn't really come in handy in those situations.

I find that hard to believe...with eviolite, ivysaur's nature-neutral defensive stats jump up to 324 HP/~327 Defense/~387 Sp. Def.
    In addition to that, ivysaur has access to 3 forms of recovery: Giga Drain, Synthesis, and Leech Seed. Ivysaur's speed stat may cap at 219 or 240 based on nature, but it also can abuse chlorophyll, thus doubling its speed into, at least, 438...sure ivysaur doesn't get leftovers, and it's even more weather dependant than venusaur (if that's even possible), but i see merits to using it
    Even if you run Max Hp and Max Sp Def Ivysaur will get 60 / 103 / 145 Defenses. Venusaur is better overall defensively because of Leftovers but if you want to use Ivysaur he could make a decent switch in to bulky Water types.. maybe. Its still going to be slower than most things. Either go fully defensive or if you want Speed use Venusaur. No speed Chlorophyll Ivysaur will outrun Jolly Lucario, most Zapdos / Jirachi and Adamant Salamence. It hits 312 speed so here you can see what it will outrun.

How do I know this?, because before I became the luckiest player on Serebii I was a noob that asked BH about whether or not I should use a Evolite set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    It's like Turtwig, both were the most underappreciated starter of their respective generation yet there are those who were smart to pick it.
    Except Turtwig was complete crap, it and its evolutions weren't even cute or a badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
    Except Turtwig was complete crap, it and its evolutions weren't even cute or a badass.
    Takeo I will destroy you D:<
    ayd22: what's it like to use broken items to make up for lackluster skills
    ayd22: yeah your playing great right not
    ayd22: rethink your strategy
    Togoro: get styled upon
    The Pokemon Showdown Little Cup Ladder

I do nothing anymore. Oops
    PASBL

Quote Originally Posted by KingTorterraXIV View Post
    Takeo I will destroy you D:<
    I know that feel......

If only Leaf Storm was compatible with Chlorophyll, it would help Venasur deliver more power.

I know that feel......
    Me too. I think we all want to destroy Takeo a little :(

Quote Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
    Even if you run Max Hp and Max Sp Def Ivysaur will get 60 / 103 / 145 Defenses. Venusaur is better overall defensively because of Leftovers but if you want to use Ivysaur he could make a decent switch in to bulky Water types.. maybe. Its still going to be slower than most things. Either go fully defensive or if you want Speed use Venusaur. No speed Chlorophyll Ivysaur will outrun Jolly Lucario, most Zapdos / Jirachi and Adamant Salamence. It hits 312 speed so here you can see what it will outrun.

How do I know this?, because before I became the luckiest player on Serebii I was a noob that asked BH about whether or not I should use a Evolite set.

Well, idk if i should take this in the humor it seems to be intended, or you're calling me a noob...so, imma refuse the latter with a poor excuse about how long it's been since i've played competetively...scratch that, how long its been since i've touched anything pokemon related, other than the potw....plus, i'm not all that fond of grass types, so i don't exactly have perfect knowledge on it all...now, if you'll excuse me, i'll go sit in the corner and count the bumps on the wall

Well, idk if i should take this in the humor it seems to be intended, or you're calling me a noob...so, imma refuse the latter with a poor excuse about how long it's been since i've played competetively...scratch that, how long its been since i've touched anything pokemon related, other than the potw....plus, i'm not all that fond of grass types, so i don't exactly have perfect knowledge on it all...now, if you'll excuse me, i'll go sit in the corner and count the bumps on the wall

PASBL

Well if ivisaur have that much bulk why not use it in NU? it could work better there with that bulk and 80 SP.A isn't that horrible there.. I would still use vileplume though..

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

We should honor Bulbapedia by using it as the title for the Bulbasaur LC section!

We should honor Bulbapedia by using it as the title for the Bulbasaur LC section!
    I guess, but Bulbasaur sucks really bad

PASBL

Quote Originally Posted by KingTorterraXIV View Post
    I guess, but Bulbasaur sucks really bad
    I know, bad LC pokemon with bad popularity hurts it.

It's Pun Time! Here's a few pun examples for Venusaur:

Just add Sun! (The set I post earlier)
    Solarbeam-ing the OU Tier in your Dreams!
    Let me make my photosynthesis, Growth-ing like the plants and then Solarbeaming your face!
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

Heres some puns.
    Bring me sunshine-any chlorophyll set
    The photosynthesis game-another for a chlorophyll set. (Don't ask why for the pun)

Venusaurus Rex

Growth
    Solarbeam/Giga Drain
    Sleep Powder
    HP Fire/Fighting
    Ability:Clorophyll
    EVs: 4 HP 252 Special Attack 252 Speed
    Item: Life Orb

This thing is a monster under the sun. Thanks to BW2 it can combine Giga Drain and Clorophyll to amazing effects. Under the sun Solarbeam OWNS but you might go with Giga drain so that you can heal life orb damage. HP fire is good for owning other grass types, bug types and the like, but fighting means you aren't heatran bait. Sleep powder is cool for owning counters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

Hoenn Starters :3

I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123