Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 173

Thread: Different starters

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    15

    Default Different starters

    Do you think in the sixth generation there should be 3 new types of starter Pokemon, like for example lighting, ground and water.
    Please share some of your ideas.


    Got to collect them all.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    1,384

    Default

    My opinion: No.
    Gamefreaks opinion: No.
    Chance of ever happening: 0%

    /thread






    ..ok, seriously:
    The Grass Fire Water starter types are essential. They are there to introduce any newcomer to the weakness/resistance mechanic, and they do it best, along with being really elemental and contrasting.

    Besides, there is no other viable cycle anyways.

    Its equally likely as starters having a single stage that never evolves ala Pinsir & co. Which is 0%

    This is a core part of the main series, and is better left to spin-offs to mess around with.
    Last edited by Mitja; 4th September 2012 at 12:12 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowbeast View Post
    Do you think in the sixth generation there should be 3 new types of starter Pokemon, like for example lighting, ground and water.
    Please share some of your ideas.
    Is that a new type for lamp-related pokemon?

    In all seriousness, though, it is unlikely they'll change the starter types as they operate like the classic Rock, Paper, Scissors game. One is strong or weak against the others.
    Current Hunts


    2,470 SRs/4,940 birds seen - PAUSED

    SS Extra

    900 SRs

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I under stand where u are coming from.


    Got to collect them all.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Castelia City
    Posts
    100

    Default

    That's one of the few things we can be sure that never will happen... But i think still with the three types we have, exist many posibilities. I mean, we still don`t have a defensive Fire Starter or a fast or "non-bulky" Water Starter, or we can have new secondary types...
    http://trainerproblems.tumblr.com/



    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆Friend Code: 4356 1590 7493 ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ice Ice Outpost
    Posts
    2,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    Besides, there is no other viable cycle anyways.
    Umm yeah there are actually a few...
    Poison, Grass, Ground
    Ice, Grass, Rock
    Steel, Ice, Ground
    Electric, Water, Ground
    Rock, Fire Grass

    Just to name a few. You clearly need to think before you speak.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hope's Peak Academy
    Posts
    190

    Default

    I don't think that would be likely.
    The more these ideas happen, the more the "original Pokemon way" is destructed.
    "I want you to make me a stepping stone so everyone can shine…!"

    Ice Friend Safari - Snover / Bergmite / Cloyster
    Current and temporary Friend Safari is Grass - Tangela / Swadloon / Maractus

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    298

    Default

    I think theres no chance for GAMEFREAK to change the types of starters...Except they add secondary type just like what aloquesada said...But for my opinion,GAMEFREAK can make a main series game with Eevee as starter which is a Normal-type that can evolve to various forms.

    3DS Friend Code: 1950 - 8194 -5373
    Ghost Friend Safari with Phantump, Lampent, and Driftblim

        Spoiler:- Special Thanks:

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    Umm yeah there are actually a few...
    Poison, Grass, Ground
    Ice, Grass, Rock
    Steel, Ice, Ground
    Electric, Water, Ground
    Rock, Fire Grass

    Just to name a few. You clearly need to think before you speak.
    Ground is neutral to itself, whereas Grass and Poison are NVE against themselves.
    Rock is neutral to itself, whereas Grass and Ice are NVE against themselves.
    Ground and Steel are neutral to themselves, whereas Ice is NVE against itself.
    Electric has no effect on Ground, whereas Ground is NVE against Water, and Water is neutral to Electric.
    Fire and Grass are NVE against themselves, whereas Rock is neutral to itself.

    None of those work.





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ice Ice Outpost
    Posts
    2,786

    Default

    Hey dumbo I typed them in order. For example, the first one:
    Poison is good against Grass which is good against Ground which is good against Poison.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    None of your bizness
    Posts
    830

    Default

    I think we need a Fighting, Dark and Psychic starter type for a change. or at least make those secondary typing.


    FC: 4699-6505-4258
    IGN: Diva

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    Hey dumbo I typed them in order. For example, the first one:
    Poison is good against Grass which is good against Ground which is good against Poison.
    I'm quite aware. But you're suggesting those trios of types for starters, yes?

    If you are, this means that A vs. B, B vs. C, and C vs. A have to have the same matchup; A vs. C, B vs. A, and C vs. B have to have the same matchup; and A vs. A, B vs. B, and C vs. C have to have the same matchup. None of those five trios of types fit this.

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    I think we need a Fighting, Dark and Psychic starter type for a change. or at least make those secondary typing.
    Neither does this trio of types, but I can imagine this trio being secondary types of starters sometime soon.





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Where I live.
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    I think we need a Fighting, Dark and Psychic starter type for a change. or at least make those secondary typing.
    And you are the victim of this threads Pecking Party. Sorry, but you brought this upon yourself. Ahem...This is so totally stupid. Fighting does not resist Fighting (While not obvious, all types do need to resist themselves to fit into the same dynamic as Grass-Fire-Water). Dark does not resist Psychic, it is immune (They have to resist the next type, immunities are a no go). And it has been said a million fracking times. As I've pointed out in the last thread like this (Which was just the other day) a third of users say this, a third do the research and know it isn't, and a third just laugh at the two sides bickering over something like this. Now as secondary types, as long as there isn't a Fire/Fighting type, I truly don't mind.

    There are other legitimate cycles, but Fire-Grass-Water is basics and is 15 or so years old. It will never change. Can we just get a ban on certain topics, this one included? It can do nothing but good.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ice Ice Outpost
    Posts
    2,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    I'm quite aware. But you're suggesting those trios of types for starters, yes?

    If you are, this means that A vs. B, B vs. C, and C vs. A have to have the same matchup; A vs. C, B vs. A, and C vs. B have to have the same matchup; and A vs. A, B vs. B, and C vs. C have to have the same matchup. None of those five trios of types fit this.



    Neither does this trio of types, but I can imagine this trio being secondary types of starters sometime soon.
    Oh. I feel stupid now... Sorry for calling you a dumbo.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Parilia City
    Posts
    2,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    Oh. I feel stupid now... Sorry for calling you a dumbo.
    It's fine. Many are passionate about this subject and often jump the gun as a result.

    The only starter trio I've seen that actually works is Rock-Fighting-Flying:
    Rock is neutral to Rock, NVE against Fighting, and SE against Flying.
    Fighting is neutral to Fighting, NVE against Flying, and SE against Rock.
    Flying is neutral to Flying, NVE against Rock, and SE against Fighting.





    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South East Abbey, Tethe'alla
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    In many if the side games, most of the starters are different types...


    “Nameless... Like me...” - tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder and tales of the abyss

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Agreed. I'm all for the original grass, fire, water starters but I gotta admit variety is good. It would be interesting to have a change.
    http://pokefarm.org/_ext/user/Houndoom#0 Please click my eggs and join me on pokefarm.org! My name is Houndoom and I'm more than happy to help any newcomers along And by the way, I'm a girl! XD Now seeking a new apprentice. Who will answer the call?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    7,604

    Default

    I know how you feel, but Gamefreak will most likely keep it's same old tradition of having Grass, Fire and Water. I do want to see move types being combined like how Torterra was Grass/Ground and Empoleon was Water/Steel.

    I actually heard Serperior was supposed to be Grass/Dragon, but it was later changed because Emboar wouldn't be able to deal super effective moves against it.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Where I live.
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YokoKurama View Post
    I know how you feel, but Gamefreak will most likely keep it's same old tradition of having Grass, Fire and Water. I do want to see move types being combined like how Torterra was Grass/Ground and Empoleon was Water/Steel.

    I actually heard Serperior was supposed to be Grass/Dragon, but it was later changed because Emboar wouldn't be able to deal super effective moves against it.
    You heard wrong. While that is correct, they do not use Dragon types for the exact reason that it breaks the starter trio, especially if it were the Water Starter.

    @iliekmudkipz, The side and main games are not really connected past their general series. Jus tbecause there are in side games stands to mean nothing in the main series.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Battle Frontier isn't in ORAS
    Posts
    6,755

    Default

    Like some said, the Fire-Water-Grass core will probably stay the same in the future. An exception may be Bulbasaur, who is dual-typed however.


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    7,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousHeartless View Post
    You heard wrong. While that is correct, they do not use Dragon types for the exact reason that it breaks the starter trio, especially if it were the Water Starter.
    I read it actually, I wasn't as clear. And I know they wouldn't break it, there's nothing wrong with hoping. And what Water starter are you talking about?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Where I live.
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    Well then I read your post wrong. I wasn't specifying a water starter, just stating that a Water/Dragon starter (Especially since the starters tend to be rather decent Pokemon) would be a game-breaker because it's only weakness is Dragon-type moves. And since Dragon-types don't appear until you can get your starter well trained and Dragon-type moves tend to not show up until then either, your starter will be immensely broken.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    7,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousHeartless View Post
    Well then I read your post wrong. I wasn't specifying a water starter, just stating that a Water/Dragon starter (Especially since the starters tend to be rather decent Pokemon) would be a game-breaker because it's only weakness is Dragon-type moves. And since Dragon-types don't appear until you can get your starter well trained and Dragon-type moves tend to not show up until then either, your starter will be immensely broken.
    I understand where you're coming from and all. Also, you do know I'm talking about Serperior right? You've been saying Water so much.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Where I live.
    Posts
    1,385

    Default

    The water was a side-note related to the fact they wouldn't give any starter a Dragon-typing. Guess I am the one who needs to be more clear.

    Now back to the original topic. They will never give a new type triangle, and I don't see why people hope so. There is nothing at all wrong with Grass-Fire-Water and it is as traditional as Pokeballs. We aren't randomly going to be getting Blue Poke-Cubes to capture them in, and we aren't going to have another type triangle. Practically everything other than Dragon and the starter types are free for Secondary types. There, over, done with.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    None of your bizness
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousHeartless View Post
    And you are the victim of this threads Pecking Party. Sorry, but you brought this upon yourself. Ahem...This is so totally stupid. Fighting does not resist Fighting (While not obvious, all types do need to resist themselves to fit into the same dynamic as Grass-Fire-Water). Dark does not resist Psychic, it is immune (They have to resist the next type, immunities are a no go). And it has been said a million fracking times. As I've pointed out in the last thread like this (Which was just the other day) a third of users say this, a third do the research and know it isn't, and a third just laugh at the two sides bickering over something like this. Now as secondary types, as long as there isn't a Fire/Fighting type, I truly don't mind.

    There are other legitimate cycles, but Fire-Grass-Water is basics and is 15 or so years old. It will never change. Can we just get a ban on certain topics, this one included? It can do nothing but good.
    Wow no need to get an attitude. It's my opinion after all


    FC: 4699-6505-4258
    IGN: Diva

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •