View Poll Results: Do you support Barack Obama or Mitt Romney?

Voters
316. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mitt Romney

    86 27.22%
  • Barack Obama

    230 72.78%
Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 2770

Thread: Obama Vs. Romney: 2012 US Election

  1. #51

    Default

    randomspot555, I apologize for missing your point and getting off topic. I still think Newt and space was a bad example though. Just because someone has a plan it does not mean that it is a good one and I'd rather have someone who is still thinking or who hasn't submitted one yet than going with one that sucks. You could have used a much better one, but like you said it was off the top of your head that you wrote Newt.
    Last edited by Cosmical El Amarna; 8th September 2012 at 12:50 AM.
    My FC for 5th gen is 4041 2078 1937
    current wifi team
        Spoiler:- MasterBark:

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    in your dreams
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post

    Obama has been shown to be a proven failure in the art of politics, he has led us into a state of malaze and has largely lost the trust of Congress, in many ways he is already a lame duck.
    how did he lose the trust in congress when they never gave him a start, and when they did it was like like pulling teeth. The tea party doesn't like obama, that is a well established fact, not all republicans are as one minded as the republican tea party. Being many of the congressional republicans are part of the tea party, they wouldn't let obama succeed, of course you'll lose if your playing against a stacked deck. Yes, not everything Obama has done has succeeded in fact somethings he has done was been simply stupid, but show me one person who has made the correct choice 100% of the time.

    All Romney has shown me is, he wants the middle class to pay more the upper class pay less and to repeal everything Obama has done in washington. That is what he showed me during his speech at the republican convention. Romney hasn't told us any plans as to how he will fix the economy. If it isn't a tax cut, Romney has shown he just doesn't know what he's doing.

    Obama has shown me he has a steady plan, targeting the middle class Americans who of which, make up the bulk of how our economy grows. If you don't have the middle class working, how are new things going to be made, who will teach; as far as the elderly who can not afford the medicine are you just going to let them die.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waterboy62311 View Post

    Ok time to debunk this one immediately. Romney had a rally in Pittsburgh a while ago. A local baker made basic pastries, to provide for the event, obviously he took a whole staff and about 2 or 3 days unpaid for this. Romney looks at it and says to get rid of them, they look like theyre from 7-11. You call that kind of treatment to your supporters nice?
    And Obama is an angel, right?

    You're likeable enough at a Dem 2008 debate.

    It also doesn't take 2-3 days to bake cookies. Even professional baked cookies. It takes like, 1-2 hours. Tops.

    Never did Cometstarlight say Romney is 100% nice and perky all the time every day of the week. He just said "he seems like a genuinely nice man". You pointing out one time he wasn't nice and implying he's always a jerk is a huge leap in logic you're making.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmical Tel El Amarna View Post
    randomspot555, I apologize for missing your point and getting off topic. I still think Newt and space was a bad example though. Just because someone has a plan it does not mean that it is a good one and I'd rather have someone who is still thinking or who hasn't submitted one yet than going with one that sucks. You could have used a much better one, but like you said it was off the top of your head that you wrote Newt.
    The point was Newt had a vision and Romney and Obama do not. If you want to debate that Obama and Romney do have a vision, lemme know.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Riding on my Crimson Loftwing
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    [QUOTE=waterboy62311;15080061]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cometstarlight View Post

    . And he seems like a genuinely nice man, and doesn't always throw insults and attack all the time. /QUOTE]

    Ok time to debunk this one immediately. Romney had a rally in Pittsburgh a while ago. A local baker made basic pastries, to provide for the event, obviously he took a whole staff and about 2 or 3 days unpaid for this. Romney looks at it and says to get rid of them, they look like theyre from 7-11. You call that kind of treatment to your supporters nice?
    Do you have any actual proof to back this up, or are you making it up on the fly? Or perhaps you heard from CNN or some other channel? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just looking for the facts, not an obscure situation that may or may not be true.

    And as long as we are on people being unpaid; Obama had a group of his people staying at a hotel and then his group left without paying the multiple Ks that they had partied away. I'm trying to relocate the article now.



    Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    And Obama is an angel, right?

    You're likeable enough at a Dem 2008 debate.

    It also doesn't take 2-3 days to bake cookies. Even professional baked cookies. It takes like, 1-2 hours. Tops.

    Never did Cometstarlight say Romney is 100% nice and perky all the time every day of the week. He just said "he seems like a genuinely nice man". You pointing out one time he wasn't nice and implying he's always a jerk is a huge leap in logic you're making.



    The point was Newt had a vision and Romney and Obama do not. If you want to debate that Obama and Romney do have a vision, lemme know.
    I'm a she, but that's beside the point XD
    Last edited by Cometstarlight; 8th September 2012 at 12:59 AM.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†


    Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

    Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default

    This is based off of money being fungible. Qualifying for this money for cancer screenings means they have more general funds to dedicate to abortion. This means that, without govt funding, PP would have to make a choice of what to do with their general funds: Fund medical services and birth control, or fund abortion.

    What this law does, such as the similarl aws passed in a few states (including Indiana) doesn't eliminate cancer screening funding. It just means you can't do it at Planned Parenthood.

    I have absolutely no problem with cutting off funding to PP.
    i dont think your point is either here nor there considering ryan nor romney are very fond of birth control either. if you say you don't want government to fund money to a certain organization because "i do not believe abortion is right" for example, well that's cute i guess, but lots of catholics don't believe even condoms or birth control are right either. i suppose "population control" wasn't the best word i could have used considering the negative connotations, but my point is more less about preventing people from helplessly relying on welfare before it happens. what is the quickest way to get on welfare? losing your job or having a baby. mainly the latter. if the ultimatum you explained is true, cutting off funding for planned parenthood is much more a crusade against abortion than it is about necessary financial cutbacks. if that being the case, conservatives should take their own advice about social issues not being as important as the economy.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    With my head in the clouds
    Posts
    371

    Default


    Do you have any actual proof to back this up, or are you making it up on the fly? Or perhaps you heard from CNN or some other channel? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just looking for the facts, not an obscure situation that may or may not be true.

    And as long as we are on people being unpaid; Obama had a group of his people staying at a hotel and then his group left without paying the multiple Ks that they had partied away. I'm trying to relocate the article now.





    I'm a she, but that's beside the point XD
    I am pretty sure that fact he wants to screw over low-budget and mid class households for wealthy benefit is a good sign he is a pretty awful person. He also wants to expand the military which is pretty counterproductive.

    i dont think your point is either here nor there considering ryan nor romney are very fond of birth control either. if you say you don't want government to fund money to a certain organization because "i do not believe abortion is right" for example, well that's cute i guess, but lots of catholics don't believe even condoms or birth control are right either. i suppose "population control" wasn't the best word i could have used considering the negative connotations, but my point is more less about preventing people from helplessly relying on welfare before it happens. what is the quickest way to get on welfare? losing your job or having a baby. mainly the latter. if the ultimatum you explained is true, cutting off funding for planned parenthood is much more a crusade against abortion than it is about necessary financial cutbacks. if that being the case, conservatives should take their own advice about social issues not being as important as the economy.
    I don't foretell the issue on abortion changing much. Romney claims even if he is elected he wants to enforce choice. He is a Christian and dislikes abortion, but he doesn't want to bring it into politics.

    Of course more likely than not he is just saying that now to get votes from the large number of pro-choice advocates.
    Last edited by iFi Salamander; 8th September 2012 at 1:05 AM.

    Thanks to Steel Sector Graphics for the userbar and banner!


  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heldigunner1 View Post
    how did he lose the trust in congress when they never gave him a start,
    BigLutz is right, though. Obama, even when he had a D Congress, was really bad with communicating with them. And if he couldn't work well with a D Congress, then it is no surprise he's worked poorly with a half R Congress.

    The tea party doesn't like obama, that is a well established fact,
    GOP sure didn't like Clinton either. He still got things done. Having opposition not liking you isn't an excuse for inaction.

    Obama has shown me he has a steady plan,
    And that is....?

    targeting the middle class Americans
    And what does this mean, in terms of policy?

    as far as the elderly who can not afford the medicine are you just going to let them die.
    Medicare Part D covers prescription drugs.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default

    also, i don't see why we have to choose between social issues and the economy. its not as if an administration is only capable of doing one single thing at a time. the civil rights movement for african americans was in full swing in the midst of the vietnam war. brushing aside all social issues and saying "uh yeah, well, it'll be dealt with later there's bigger more important stuff to do" just seems kind of disingenuous.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    I am pretty sure that fact he wants to screw over low-budget and mid class households for wealthy benefit is a good sign he is a pretty awful person.
    But according to Romney's belief, he thinks his policies will help those households.

    If someone's politics makes them an "awful person", well, I don't think you were ever gonna like him in the first place.

    He also wants to expand the military which is pretty counterproductive.
    You say this as if Obama is planning on cutting the military in some way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Soul View Post
    i dont think your point is either here nor there
    It is very relevant. Keep providing the funding for the medical procedures to be done else where.

    What's wrong with that?

    considering ryan nor romney are very fond of birth control either.

    If by "fond" you mean aren't proposing any changes, sure.

    if you say you don't want government to fund money to a certain organization because "i do not believe abortion is right" for example, well that's cute
    It is "cute". It is also my belief that taxpayer money shouldn't be used to fund abortions, directly or otherwise.

    i guess, but lots of catholics don't believe even condoms or birth control are right either.
    Your point?

    if the ultimatum you explained is true, cutting off funding for planned parenthood is much more a crusade against abortion than it is about necessary financial cutbacks. if that being the case, conservatives should take their own advice about social issues not being as important as the economy.
    Please do not address me as "conservatives" and don't imply that I said something I didn't. Social issues are important. The Democrats just spent 4 days celebrating abortion-on-demand. It is such a double standard that when Democrats use social issues, some people fall all over themselves praising them. But when conservatives do it, people often in the media freak out and accuse them of bringing up social issues as a wedge.
    Last edited by randomspot555; 8th September 2012 at 1:12 AM.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    To answer the OP, I'm voting for Romney. Swing state vote, hella.

    1) Economy.
    2) Eh, kinda, but not really. I'm registered as unaffiliated, and vote for many Democrats, but on the whole, I lean more Republican.
    3) No, it won't be.
    4) I guess I'd have to say I'm more partial to Obama's social policies at face value, and Romney's economic ones. But I also feel that a president has a marginally greater say in how our country interacts with the rest of the world (ie economic affairs) than purely internal issues (ie social issues). I'm also not sold on the whole Romney-is-a-misogynist thing, because it's not as if it operates independently of the economy or anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    I still haven't completely decided, though it has nothing to do with pessimism, both candidates are just pretty terrible. After reviewing the stances and pros and cons it feels like a lose/lose situation either way. If I do vote it will be for Obama though because Romney is insufferable if you are poor.
    Even if you hate the presidential candidates and don't want to vote for either of them, you should still register and vote for all of your more local politicians; after all, they're almost guaranteed to affect you, personally, more than any president.

    Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    Well you must already be wealthy, or you have no clue what these policies are.
    OMFG TRUEST FACT EVER I AGREE LOL

    But really, I'm fairly poor myself (well, at any rate I'm sure as hell not rich), but that doesn't mean I want my country to be. Sometimes you vote for things that go against your own personal beliefs for the greater good. Well, actually, everybody does that every time, unless you ever find a candidate you agree with 100% on everything.

    Anyone who says that can't be taken seriously, ever.
    I'm getting the weirdest vibe here that, while you're clamoring for women's rights, you're simultaneously ignorantly shutting one down who has done nothing more than express that her train of thought doesn't line up with what you expect out of women. Woo, chills!

    Quote Originally Posted by waterboy62311 View Post
    Ok time to debunk this one immediately. Romney had a rally in Pittsburgh a while ago. A local baker made basic pastries, to provide for the event, obviously he took a whole staff and about 2 or 3 days unpaid for this. Romney looks at it and says to get rid of them, they look like theyre from 7-11. You call that kind of treatment to your supporters nice?
    Wait, Romney is THAT OUT OF TOUCH with voters. **** this, I'm going to vote for Obama, because at least I could see myself getting a beer with him.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Wait, Romney is THAT OUT OF TOUCH with voters. **** this, I'm going to vote for Obama, because at least I could see myself getting a beer with him.
    Obama isn't the most personable person either. He's really bad at retail politicking, as is Romney. Both of them have no shortage of disasturous things happen in small settings in Iowa and New Hampshire. If you haven't already, you need to read Game Change.

    Yes, Obama is out of touch too. Let's try judging them by their policies and whatnot instead of if they'd be our BFFs.

    And Obama drinks crappy beer anyway. I wouldn't hang out with anyone whose favorite beer is Bud Light.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    With my head in the clouds
    Posts
    371

    Default

    But according to Romney's belief, he thinks his policies will help those households.

    If someone's politics makes them an "awful person", well, I don't think you were ever gonna like him in the first place.
    Assuming he can actually create better jobs and form an economic situation where people aren't depending on much government aid just to not live on the streets. It sounds to me again like they man is just reassuring the masses that lower and mid class citizens aren't a target as a way to get into office.

    You say this as if Obama is planning on cutting the military in some way.
    Yes, and no. He never proposed this but it is pretty well known that the military has been quietly downsizing for the past few years. I also don't see how when we are already in a financial crisis why it makes sense to invest more into military when it is already 85% of our spending. That is unless we are readying ourselves for a hostile seize of resources, or a new threat.

    But really, I'm fairly poor myself (well, at any rate I'm sure as hell not rich), but that doesn't mean I want my country to be. Sometimes you vote for things that go against your own personal beliefs for the greater good. Well, actually, everybody does that every time, unless you ever find a candidate you agree with 100% on everything.
    I am not going to vote for a person who ensures I'll never go to college and therefore be making crappy wages and miserable my whole life just for the overall greater good that I make little impact on, I wouldn't expect anyone to think I am that altruistic either.

    I'm getting the weirdest vibe here that, while you're clamoring for women's rights, you're simultaneously ignorantly shutting one down who has done nothing more than express that her train of thought doesn't line up with what you expect out of women. Woo, chills!
    I am all for Women's Rights. I just can't stand people who ignorantly act offended at everything like they are being a target.
    Last edited by iFi Salamander; 8th September 2012 at 1:23 AM.

    Thanks to Steel Sector Graphics for the userbar and banner!


  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default

    It is very relevant. Keep providing the funding for the medical procedures to be done else where.

    What's wrong with that?
    ease of access. planned parenthood clinics tend to be relatively close by or placed in areas that are more impoverished. it makes it easier for people to get access to preventative care, as opposed to driving miles and miles to the nearest fancy hospital or the like.

    It is "cute". It is also my belief that taxpayer money shouldn't be used to fund abortions, directly or otherwise.
    that's perfectly cool. do your reasons begin with "i believe its morally wrong..." or "my religion says..." though? i am curious.

    Your point?
    my point is moral convictions without sound logical reasoning are not a good reason to cut off government funding for anything.

    Please do not address me as "conservatives" and don't imply that I said something I didn't. Social issues are important. The Democrats just spent 4 days celebrating abortion-on-demand.
    i intended to be speaking in only generalities, but if you thought i was singling you out in anyway i apologize.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    Assuming he can actually create better jobs and form an economic situation where people aren't depending on much government aid just to not live on the streets. It sounds to me again like they man is just reassuring the masses that lower and mid class citizens aren't a target as a way to get into office.
    Politician sucks up to rich people, news at 11.

    Let's not pretend that Romney is going to be killing poor people in the streets, because that's unlikely.

    And to be fair, let's also not pretend we know what Romney will do. Because we don't. Saying his unknown policies will favor the rich is stating something in which no one has read.

    Yes, and no. He never proposed this but it is pretty well known that the military has been quietly downsizing for the past few years.
    He has? Source?

    I also don't see how when we are already in a financial crisis why it makes sense to invest more into military when it is already 85% of our spending. That is unless we are readying ourselves for a hostile seize of resources, or a new threat.
    Because defense contracting and R&D are parts of those jobs that pay a nice middle class salary and, due to security concerns, aren't likely to be outsourced.

    I'm all for running down some of the active military operations, but gutting R&D is a dumb move that would hurt the economies in some of the coastal states and Virginia.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Bur Romney is going to ban gay marriage! This will lead him to ban interracial marriage as well.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Evil Scumbags, Inc.
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Soul View Post
    ease of access. planned parenthood clinics tend to be relatively close by or placed in areas that are more impoverished. it makes it easier for people to get access to preventative care, as opposed to driving miles and miles to the nearest fancy hospital or the like.
    This. And really, what other places are going to be funded for free testings/screenings? Certainly not hospitals since they are businesses and not government-run. Take away Planned Parenthood, and you're needlessly flooding the EDs of all the hospitals... Y'know, where people with actual emergencies should be.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Riding on my Crimson Loftwing
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Bur Romney is going to ban gay marriage! This will lead him to ban interracial marriage as well.
    Seriously? If you believe that then you are more ignorant than you appear. Interracial marriage is nothing to be ashamed of...but gay marriage.....uh, sorry, don't want to start a flame war and I really don't want to start that on this thread. Long story short: I don't support gay marriage, but that's off topic.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†


    Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

    Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    With my head in the clouds
    Posts
    371

    Default

    He has? Source?
    He hasn't. It has.

    I tried joining the Navy a couple months ago and my recruiter gave me the inside scoop that most of the branches are slightly downsizing because the war isn't as heated as it was years ago. (Albeit there is still plenty of combat.)

    Needless to say because I needed a waiver for Aspergers/ADHD I wasn't never getting in anyways.

    I'm all for running down some of the active military operations, but gutting R&D is a dumb move that would hurt the economies in some of the coastal states and Virginia.
    The military as it is now seems to be working well. I wouldn't want to invest or pull out any more money to it.

    Seriously? If you believe that then you are more ignorant than you appear. Interracial marriage is nothing to be ashamed of...but gay marriage.....uh, sorry, don't want to start a flame war and I really don't want to start that on this thread. Long story short: I don't support gay marriage, but that's off topic.
    Either troll or idiot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    This. And really, what other places are going to be funded for free testings/screenings? Certainly not hospitals since they are businesses and not government-run. Take away Planned Parenthood, and you're needlessly flooding the EDs of all the hospitals... Y'know, where people with actual emergencies should be.
    Businesses actually do have the government at the top of the strings these days. A lot of people delude themselves into thinking this isn't already a socialist country. We give them enough freedom to run their business how they want, but we put all these regulations on them. I truly believe the reason Health Care is so expensive is because it is a trade that has a lot more freedom due to the expertise required.
    Last edited by iFi Salamander; 8th September 2012 at 1:31 AM.

    Thanks to Steel Sector Graphics for the userbar and banner!


  19. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    This.
    There are other places that do cancer screenings, ultrasounds, and all kinds of stuff.

    And really, what other places are going to be funded for free testings/screenings?
    "Free" is a misnomer. Most of these people are on Medicaid or some other type of government plan. They can go anywhere that accepts Medicaid, which includes most hospitals and a lot of private practice clinics.

    Certainly not hospitals since they are businesses and not government-run.
    Planned Parenthood isn't government run either... It is a non-profit org, just like many hospitals and clinics.

    Take away Planned Parenthood, and you're needlessly flooding the EDs of all the hospitals... Y'know, where people with actual emergencies should be.
    Ugh, so many misconceptions. Hospitals are hospitals and have a variety of departments and labs. And not all of them have emergency departments.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  20. #70

    Default

    Even if you hate the presidential candidates and don't want to vote for either of them, you should still register and vote for all of your more local politicians; after all, they're almost guaranteed to affect you, personally, more than any president.
    Plus if you don't vote then you have no right to complain about what X is doing.
    岩根雅明=♡

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Interracial marriage is nothing to be ashamed of...but gay marriage.....uh, sorry, don't want to start a flame war and I really don't want to start that on this thread. Long story short: I don't support gay marriage, but that's off topic.
    what, why not? because your argument sucks and consists of "BUT MAH RELIGION" and you'll inevitably be drowned out by anyone that has a shred of common sense?

    if i were you i wouldn't bring it up either.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    10,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post
    If you can vote, who are you voting for? If not, who would you vote for?
    I'm not sure I'm going to bother, but probably Obama.

    Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post
    1) Why are you voting for that candidate?
    It's more of a lesser of two evils thing. Obama hasn't really done much, but people are exaggerating when they say he ruined the country. The recession and a lot of other issues happened under Bush's presidency, not Obama's. Obama hasn't really done much to fix it, but we could be a hell of a lot worse at this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post
    2) Are you voting across party lines?
    Nope, I'm a registered Democrat. I probably won't ever vote Republican unless a candidate comes along that can prove to have really good ideas and is trustworthy. I don't trust the Republican party in general, anyone that favors corporations getting whatever they want is either supremely idiotic or selling themselves out. Although to be fair, I don't trust the Democrats that much more either, they're still susceptible to the same corruption as Republicans.


    Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post
    3) Will this be your first time voting?
    In a presidential election, yes, but I did vote in my state's gubernatorial election 2 years ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by PocketMonstre View Post
    4) How do you feel about the economic and social policies of each candidate?
    Well, IDK what they are exactly (I'll have to do more research on it), but knowing Romney, he's probably not going to care much about anyone who's not rich. I know I sound extremely uneducated because IDK why, but reading through the thread, it seems I'm not alone. Anyway, yeah, like I said, they're both pretty bad candidates, I just consider Obama to be marginally less bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Zeppelin Rules!
    Posts
    2,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iFi Salamander View Post
    I am not going to vote for a person who ensures I'll never go to college and therefore be making crappy wages and miserable my whole life just for the overall greater good that I make little impact on, I wouldn't expect anyone to think I am that altruistic either.
    In many ways, that's more than a fair point, too. Still, that particular reason doesn't hold any water with me because my financial aid has gone down every year that Obama has been in office (Pell and other grants, specifically). Now, being that I'm only one person whose situation varies mildly year-by-year, me saying this may not mean much, but I sure enjoyed federal aid under Bush much more than I do Obama. And with education funding being one of the big things you actually would expect Democrats to do a lot more of than Republicans, I can't see Romney really being any worse in this regard.

    I am all for Women's Rights. I just can't stand people who ignorantly act offended at everything like they are being a target.
    Wait, were you replying to the hypothetical "omg romney offended me b/c i am a woman" part of Cometstarlight's post? Because if so, I misconstrued what you were saying and apologize. Though it really did look as if you were replying to her personal opinion, and that's how I responded.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pesky Persian View Post
    This. And really, what other places are going to be funded for free testings/screenings? Certainly not hospitals since they are businesses and not government-run. Take away Planned Parenthood, and you're needlessly flooding the EDs of all the hospitals... Y'know, where people with actual emergencies should be.
    I think the idea is that the government stops directed money towards abortions in particular, as a generally-voluntary medical procedure that isn't preventative, while keeping their other facilities operational. I don't know whether or not I agree with it, because both that part and the part where women are given more reproductive freedom and there are fewer unwanted children in the country sound pretty good, but that's how I interpreted it

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Evil Scumbags, Inc.
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    There are other places that do cancer screenings, ultrasounds, and all kinds of stuff.
    So why make Planned Parenthood the named target? What exactly, other than abortion services which are parts of many other clinics as well, makes it any different? It's a good resource for a lot of people. The more places for preventative care, the better in the long run.

    "Free" is a misnomer. Most of these people are on Medicaid or some other type of government plan. They can go anywhere that accepts Medicaid, which includes most hospitals and a lot of private practice clinics.
    Exactly. Most of them are on Medicaid, meaning the taxpayers are paying for it either way. Do you have any idea how many people come into hospital EDs for things like STD/STI testing because they're on Medicaid? A whole hell of a lot, I can tell you that.


    Planned Parenthood isn't government run either... It is a non-profit org, just like many hospitals and clinics.
    I know it's not government-run. Many hospitals are for-profit. At least, some of the ones around here are. Not many, but some. They have to act like businesses in order to keep running. Even the ones that are nonprofit have to make money in order to keep running. I highly doubt Planned Parenthood would be able to make enough money, considering the kinds of people they target for healthcare, to keep running.

    Ugh, so many misconceptions. Hospitals are hospitals and have a variety of departments and labs. And not all of them have emergency departments.
    I don't have any misconceptions about hospitals, thanks. I'm well aware they have a variety of departments and not all of them have EDs. The ones that do have EDs see a lot of people of lower socioeconomic status come through their doors for routine testing because they can't afford it. More places for preventative care saves us (the hospital staff) time and resources that could have been better spent on people with real emergencies.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    I think the idea is that the government stops directed money towards abortions in particular, as a generally-voluntary medical procedure that isn't preventative, while keeping their other facilities operational. I don't know whether or not I agree with it, because both that part and the part where women are given more reproductive freedom and there are fewer unwanted children in the country sound pretty good, but that's how I interpreted it
    I can understand people not wanting to fund Planned Parenthood because of the abortion factor. But really, that's one potential (because it depends on how you look at the situation) negative to the multitudes of positive things a facility like Planned Parenthood brings to the community.
    Last edited by Pesky Persian; 8th September 2012 at 2:00 AM.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    With my head in the clouds
    Posts
    371

    Default

    In many ways, that's more than a fair point, too. Still, that particular reason doesn't hold any water with me because my financial aid has gone down every year that Obama has been in office (Pell and other grants, specifically). Now, being that I'm only one person whose situation varies mildly year-by-year, me saying this may not mean much, but I sure enjoyed federal aid under Bush much more than I do Obama. And with education funding being one of the big things you actually would expect Democrats to do a lot more of than Republicans, I can't see Romney really being any worse in this regard.
    Well I am striving to study Pathology and Radiology to become a specialized physician and diagnostician. However I come from a pretty poor upbringing and I really can't find jobs around here that will make me much more than minimum wage. So I like all the help I can get through college. If my FA starts getting cut I'm trapped in a cage. I am not even in Med school yet and that kind of retraction could become quite a problem. I am not trying to act entitled to education, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life doing nothing because of policies. That is why that is quite a big concern for me.

    Wait, were you replying to the hypothetical "omg romney offended me b/c i am a woman" part of Cometstarlight's post? Because if so, I misconstrued what you were saying and apologize. Though it really did look as if you were replying to her personal opinion, and that's how I responded.
    Yeah I was agreeing with him/her by saying that was a pretty ridiculous thing to say. Probably should have just quoted the first part, my bad.

    Thanks to Steel Sector Graphics for the userbar and banner!


Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •