Thread: Questionable Pokemon Designs/Ideas

Lightbulb Questionable Pokemon Designs/Ideas

Hey guys! I'm new here,since I'm really enjoying Pokemon again.
    Anyways, first thread here!

There are some strange designs I have discovered or realize
    ever since gen 3.
    I'll try to keep it short so..

1. Weird genders for certain pokemon
    -Female machoke/Machamp
    -Male Lopunny
    -Male kirlia and Gardevoir
    -Female alakazam has shorter mustache instead of none (Lol)

2. Uneccesary Evolutions/Pre-Evolutions
    Why does Rydon get an evo?
    Shouldnt Sableye get one? If Magmar can evolve into Magmortar, why can't Marowak at least?
    Also, there are many fun 'baby' Pokemon.. so where's Kangaskan's?
    I used to think Alomomola was the evo for Luvdisc, but it'snot. Why not??
    And why no baby cow pokemon that evolves into miltank or tauros?

What are your opinions on this? I know I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaCrasher View Post

ever since gen 3.

-Female machoke/Machamp
    -Male Lopunny

Shouldnt Sableye get one? If Magmar can evolve into Magmortar, why can't Marowak at least?

Alright in case of the ones that have the wrong gender I completely agree although if you've played colosseum and seen Machops sprite it does make you think.

As for Rhyperior I think most it can be explained by it's evolution item because it really needed it. Rhydon was this awesome looking pokemon with special defence so poor that even hitting it with one of it's x2 Weaknesses could kill it easily much less then it's x4 and really there was enough horned beasts that they could've taken full advantage of which they did.

Right am I the only one who notices that Genosect's design is clearly based off of Sableye's. I mean with the exception of being alot bigger and having a cannon mounted on it's back I think it's weird that I'm the only one who notices the blatant similarities.

Since you mentioned it nintendo have never actually created a calf pokemon so theres a possible scenario for the next gen. As for Alomomola I would imagine it's because in order to keep it as an evolution they would've had to add Luvdisc to the national dex and that would've disrupted Unova's ecosystem. It's not really a good explanation but it's all I can think of.
    - My Sig was too Tall, so a Mod fixed it -

Agree with the genders... I also consider Meganium quite female-ish , i soft reseted in SS to get a female chikorita
    Don't forget of female Conqueldur and Mr.Mime and male Misdreavus/magius...

For evos i was disappointed when Electabuzz and Magmar got (unnecessary) evolutions and Jynx don't... They have always been considered them as a the punching trio... And the three had preevos in gen 2... But no evo for Jynx...

About questionable design i have to say Vanillite family :/ i now there aren't many animals/things to relate with ice but seriously? An ice cream? They could made another penguin pokemon
    http://trainerproblems.tumblr.com/

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆Friend Code: 4356 1590 7493 ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Pokemon are Pokemon; a species that we know very little about. Just because they look masculine or feminine according to our standards doesn't necessarily mean that they are.

Quote Originally Posted by aloquesada View Post
    About questionable design i have to say Vanillite family :/ i now there aren't many animals/things to relate with ice but seriously? An ice cream? They could made another penguin pokemon
    Looked at Voltorb lately, yes? Ever notice how it's not even based on a real object? lolSursly Gaem Freeck u murst be runnin out of idees!!!1!!
    Last edited by Endolise; 13th September 2012 at 6:03 PM.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Female Probopass. Need I say more?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...5t8do1_100.jpg

Pokemon X/ Alpha Sapphire: (Tam) 0860-4501-8564

Friend Safari: Spiritomb | Pumpkaboo | Shuppet

I disagree with the gender thing. Just because a Pokemon looks to our human eyes to be more masculine or feminine doesn't mean anything. It's just a judgement that we make based on what is masculine or feminine for us. That doesn't mean it works the same way for Pokemon. About the only few Pokemon I agree should be male-only or female-only are ones that have some obvious biological reason for being so. Miltank and Tauros for example (females are the only ones to have udders, and bulls are male by definition).

On a related note, I really wish Gallade could be female as well as male. Between those big hips and those sweet, soulful eyes they look pretty girly in a tomboyish sort of way. It seems so lame and random that they're male-only.

And @ Gamer-legend, except for the similar colour, kind of similar smile, and the stretching-it-but-some-similarity-there colourful drive on its back, no. I don't think there's much of a design-link between Sableye and Genesect. To me, Genesect looks like a weapon with some biological basis, and Sableye looks like an imp or a pest ghost of some sort, or possibly even some jewelled idol come to life. I can easily see two different people coming up with those Pokemon separately, and any similarities between them being coincidental.
    On the other hand, I DO see loads of similarity between Jirachi and Victini, or Tynamo and Magikarp. So maybe this is just a perspective thing.

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaCrasher View Post

ever since gen 3.

-Female machoke/Machamp
    -Male Lopunny

The genders aren't that big of a deal. As it is, there is plenty of feminine looking men and masculine looking females, which works out fine in the end for most Pokemon. Machop line is the only one that is pretty weird considering they are exposing their chest. But these aren't humans so...

There is no "unnecessary" evolution. What difference does it make if Rhydon got an evolution, regardless of it's own status, getting an evolution for one reason or another is always possible.
    Also, Pokemon isn't done yet, there can always be future evolutions or pre-evolutions for other Pokemon down the line. They aren't going to do it for every single one right off the back, they save some for later.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Well actually, even for real life animals, the females can look real different (more masculine) than the males.
    E.g. Some spiders, fish and birds like owls.

X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Looked at Voltorb lately, yes? Ever notice how it's not even based on a real object? lolSursly Gaem Freeck u murst be runnin out of idees!!!1!!
    Doesn't that make Voltorb even more creative though? ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Poliwhirl'sMittens View Post
    Doesn't that make Voltorb even more creative though? ;P
    One could argue that, yes, but conversely that would mean that Vanillite is still creative, which it is.

Perhaps I should have said Geodude, as it's just a rock with arms and a face.

The point though is that there is no reason to think Vanillite is too outrageous to be a Pokemon.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467

Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Klink evolution.....I MEAN REALLY? A gear....

One could argue that, yes, but conversely that would mean that Vanillite is still creative, which it is.

Perhaps I should have said Geodude, as it's just a rock with arms and a face.

The point though is that there is no reason to think Vanillite is too outrageous to be a Pokemon.
    Agreed and yes, Geodude is a much, much better example. Voltorb doesn't seem at all as uninspired as some other pokemon.
    Last edited by Poliwhirl'sMittens; 14th September 2012 at 4:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Flam View Post
    Well actually, even for real life animals, the females can look real different (more masculine) than the males.
    E.g. Some spiders, fish and birds like owls.

Agreed there. In the bug world most female spiders actually eat their mates after laying their eggs. Pretty morbid.

Quote Originally Posted by dd1zzle View Post
    I don't see how having a gear in your team is any worse than having a hypnotist. Or a spider. Or a cotton-weed. Or magnets.

There are loads of pokemon out there that are based on really simplistic, weird things that you wouldn't consider at first glance to be possible members of a team. Take Gulpin and Swalot for example, these things seem to be based on poison glands. Yeah, glands.

Personally, I really love the way GameFreak is able to look at random crap that most people wouldn't think twice about and see all sorts of different creatures. It's a really creative ability, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, not everyone is going to feel the same way about every Pokemon. Personally, I love Vanilluxe, Jumpluff, Swalot, Sableye, Eelektross, and Klink and their relatives. And there's some pokemon I hate too, like the simis and the hitmons. But even though I may hate them, that doesn't mean they're badly designed or stupid or whatever. It just means that I don't appreciate them.

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by dd1zzle View Post
    Gear systems grow more complex. I actually love the Klink line's theme.

As Poliwhirl'sMittens and I were just saying: "Geodude evolution.....I MEAN REALLY? A rock...."
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467

yes it issort ofweird tthat male kirlias share a female's form.pokemon are enigmatic
    Last edited by Ferrin; 14th September 2012 at 7:25 AM.

Gear systems grow more complex. I actually love the Klink line's theme.

As Poliwhirl'sMittens and I were just saying: "Geodude evolution.....I MEAN REALLY? A rock...."
    That makes no sense. that is like me saying "vanillite evolution: Really? an ice cream cone..." You can't have a double standard. Geodude's evolution makes a little sense. Natural selection forced it to adapt to its environment (which is rocky areas). How did natural selection lead to an ice cream cone. I think it is better to say that all Pokemon have a decent design for the most part but you just don't appreciate some Pokemon designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Charizard View Post
    That makes no sense. that is like me saying "vanillite evolution: Really? an ice cream cone..." You can't have a double standard. Geodude's evolution makes a little sense. Natural selection forced it to adapt to its environment (which is rocky areas). How did natural selection lead to an ice cream cone. I think it is better to say that all Pokemon have a decent design for the most part but you just don't appreciate some Pokemon designs.
    I don't have a double standard. I'm fine with Geodude. I'm fine with Voltorb. I love Magnemite. I'm fine with Grimer. However, I'm actually aware that they're a rock with a face, a living PokeBall, a living Magnet, and a living pile of sludge, which are all just as silly as living "ice cream." But other people don't realize this, and they go about hating on Vanillite/Klink/Trubbish for being ridiculous without acknowledging how ridiculous some of the concepts behind older Pokemon are, or how some of them are no different. When I say things like "Geodude evolution.....I MEAN REALLY? A rock....," which is CLEARLY lifted from their own words, I'm not expressing a personal opinion, I'm pointing out their hypocrisy.

If you'd read Vanillite's Dex entry, you'd see that it's not ice cream. It's mutant ice/snow, similar to how Grimer is mutant sludge.
    Last edited by Endolise; 14th September 2012 at 5:10 AM.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467

If there's anyone with a double standard, it's those who hate on the Vanillish and Trubbish lines.

With Pokemon as lame as Trubbish and Vanillite next thing you know Game Freak will run out of ideas and have a cat based Pokemon named after a cat's meow.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    With Pokemon as lame as Trubbish and Vanillite next thing you know Game Freak will run out of ideas and have a cat based Pokemon named after a cat's meow.
    Well, in all honesty, Meowth has a good concept behind it. A better example would be the imfamous Seel.
    Last edited by Poliwhirl'sMittens; 14th September 2012 at 5:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aloquesada View Post
    For evos i was disappointed when Electabuzz and Magmar got (unnecessary) evolutions
    Magmortar and Electivire were unnecessary?Nope,Magmar and Electabuzz sucked Primeape balls before evolving.And they're not that great even now.

Geodude, Magnemite, Grimer, Vanillite, Trubbish, and Klink are all examples of evidence that natural selection in the Pokémon universe operates differently than in the real world.

That being said, understanding how natural selection forces Geodude to adapt to its environment, but not understanding how it forces Vanillite to do the same, doesn't mean that Vanillite is automatically bad. Geodude's environment probably favored the rocky design, whereas Vanillite's probably favored the more food-like design.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

I don't think we can say they're not creative enough with those simple pokemon designs.
    I mean I'm sure GF can pay the best artists/animators in the world to work with them.
    Maybe they just want to make something that relates to human's world and keep it simple. Like those pokemon based on animals or foods.

X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

Guys guys guys, what makes the human anatomy the default one? Why is another species having a female with a mustache ridicolous? Human males are usually bigger but most fish species have larger females. Stop thinking everything so 1 dimesional.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000