Thread: Animals and Pokemon: What do you think?

Default Animals and Pokemon: What do you think?

So, I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but I was wondering what you guys think.

I've always been thinking to myself that in the Pokemon world there are - there has to be other animals. And hopefully this gets rid of the "misconception" that people eat Pokemon in their world.

The reason why I say there has to be cats, fish, dogs, and such is because whenever the Pokedex classifies a Pokemon. Like Zangoose for example. It calls it the "Cat-ferret Pokemon".

For the Pokedex to recognize Cat and Ferret (I am basing this off the english version of the anime mind you), then it's aware those exist or there's something in that world considered a cat and ferret.

So, do other animals exist in the Pokemon World? Are Pokemon just a "special" Species, kind of like humans?

Remember when it comes to Pokemon, especially grass Pokemon, if they are plants - are they animals? And if they are just plants, there are trees and all kinds of grass in the Pokemon world. And that means those trees are living things, but not Pokemon. Meaning there are other living things, as trees for example, that are not Pokemon.

What do you think?
    Friend Code POKEMON Y: 3024-6107-6817. Add me! Let me know please! I breed hidden abilities, battle, and trade!
    Friend Safari:
    Dark: Sneasel, Nuzleaf, Liepard (Online PSS/3rd)

I recall the original series of the anime do feature some real animals
    THIS IS A SIGNATURE

Their are hints that "real" animals do exist, they have caught and eaten fish a few times.

"Misconception" nothing. What else would be in something called a "Moo Moo Burger"?
    Last edited by SoulSilverMstr411; 12th September 2012 at 2:51 PM.
    Some days you just can't force a smile. :<

They exist, but they aren't the focus of the games.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

a pidgeotto eats a worm on an episode and a different shows james eating a whole lobster
    Last edited by Ferrin; 11th September 2012 at 3:53 PM.

They exist. But even rarer than shinies.

X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

I doubt it. We already know that Pokemon are used for food. Plus, regular animals would have almost no chance at surviving in an ecosystem involving Pokemon.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

I have not seen any in the games. They don't exist. Plants are obviously something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    We already know that Pokemon are used for food.
    Wait, we do?

All I can think of is slowpoke tails...but werent those implied to be unethical practice?
    Last edited by Mitja; 11th September 2012 at 4:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    Wait, we do?
    There are Slowpoketails, and Cherubi's "second head" (it isn't really a head but I'm not sure how to describe it) is said to be edible. Plus, Pokemon often eat each other in the wild as stated by various Dex entries (Heatmor > Durant, Starly > Cherubi, Tailow > Wurmple) which suggests the presence of some kind of food chain that I see no reason to exclude humans from. Plus, there's the Sinnoh Folk Tale that mentions ancient human civilizations eating Pokemon, and I'm sure that practice would have continued.

The main reason why people think that there should be regular animals in the Pokemon world is so that Pokemon won't get eaten, but think about that: You'd essentially be reducing the role in nature of several kingdoms of animals into being nothing more than food; a scapegoat species, almost. All because Pokemon are somehow special? If we had Pokemon instead of animals in our world, you wouldn't think anything was strange about eating Pokemon because we'd still be highest on the food chain and we'd do it anyway.

That being said, however, there are also some Pokemon that produce food; Chansey and Blissey have their eggs, Tropius' bananas, Combee and Vespiquen make honey, and Miltank of course has Moo Moo Milk.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

I see that pokemon are part of human use for food. But I do believe animals exist too. I think it's wrong to say theydon't based on my tree example, pokedex entries, and the point that in a world of pokemon humans exist and are not pokemon themselves - proving other animals that are not pokemon exist. You don't see them in the anime or games (maybe) because they aren't the focus (as someone said before).

Pokemon eating each other is part of their cycle and sure, humans can eat them too. But there has to be animals other than pokemon and humans in that world.

Edit: after doing some looking around, animals do exist in the pokemon world. There are tons of examples in the anime, games, manga, and even the TCG. Some examples include bugs, many fish, chicken, cows and cats.
    Last edited by WarpAvP2; 11th September 2012 at 5:26 PM.
    Friend Code POKEMON Y: 3024-6107-6817. Add me! Let me know please! I breed hidden abilities, battle, and trade!
    Friend Safari:

I think there were real animals (hence their appearance in early anime) but they became extinct, maybe? I don't know.

White 1335 5361 5411
    White 2 3740 7568 0796

Not only are there normal animals in the Pokemon world, but they're also apparently still threats to Pokemon. After all, a Ghastly was able to scare away Ekans after transforming into a normal mongoose. There are also tons of different places where normal fish are found.

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Not only are there normal animals in the Pokemon world, but they're also apparently still threats to Pokemon. After all, a Ghastly was able to scare away Ekans after transforming into a normal mongoose. There are also tons of different places where normal fish are found.
    Absolutely true!

and

"GoldenMew
    I think there were real animals (hence their appearance in early anime) but they became extinct, maybe? I don't know."

Because so many more pokemon have been made, animators instead of using real world animals simply replaced them with pokemon - pokemon that were similar or just a better choice because it is about pokemon anyways.

So like in the early concepts of the anime there were cats -> which can now be replaced by skitty's and such in crowds... etc..
    Friend Safari:

I think a lot of the ambiguity is because the games have never featured an animal at all outside of literal (usual dex) references. Very few, if any, dialogue suggests animals live in the world.

But the games are a lot more static than the various mangas and the anime, which have showed off animals at numerous points...mostly early in the franchise's history, but even as recently as Movie 9 where coral was featured.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Flam View Post
    They exist. But even rarer than shinies.

^ This is very true

They probably just never focus on it...but I recall in the library in D/P/PL they said they do eat pokemon.....O.o so I think its because in the games they dint consider animals to be there D:

Ohhh they exist alright. But are barely shown; just like shinies in the game.