Thread: Innocence

Default Innocence

Personally, I think this is one of the least discussed focus of a lot of fanfic or original stories. innocence

What are the topics commonly asked about innocence? My story would focus on this theme.

Would it be its value?
    The danger?
    The reality and fantasy of innocence?
    Why innocence was forgotten or harassed?
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Innocence of what? Or who? About what? Is this about ignoring some deep facts about life, about being naďve about life, about not being guilty about a crime...?
    Solovino's Sig
    Writing what the Pokémon canon lacks since Jun 2010!

Fics» Sixth -- Playfield -- Cuasi Legendario (Spanish)

Research» Nidoran! and other Pokémon for PEFE
    — — ★ — —
    Banner by Hydro_King

I don't really know where you're getting the idea that innocence is undiscussed. From my perspective, in what I've written, read and analyzed in both fanfiction and original works... it's a very common topic and hugely so in character arc. Because a character will always begin with certain expectations and ideals which inevitably come into contact with the real world. How his ideals differ with reality will ultimately have an impact on his beliefs and attitudes.

How you deal with this topic really depends on what you want to say about innocence. Is it a good thing? A pure, if fragile light in a cold, cruel world? If so, its loss is something to mourn and its reclaimation is something to celebrate and to hold onto.

If, however, under a closer microscope this sense of innocence is based on ignorance and laden with hypocrisy, then the character's acceptance of the world as it really is, denial of past childish attitudes, and ability to move on are ways of exploring that and viewed as positive character growth.

Or a more nuanced approach can combine the two, viewing innocence as being a good quality, but also as something that can easily be taken advantage of for evil.

A character can grapple with these problems on their own--an innocent character learning about the real world through his interactions with it or a jaded character returning to a state of innocence through his own interactions with the world. Or you can have characters that represent these views and act as foils to each other--a idealistic rookie teamed up with an old, cynical hand; a moral paragon paired with a wicked or questionable person. They act in opposition to each other and their clashing views wind up effecting each other.

I find myself dealing with this topic a lot--largely because of the characters I most prefer to write for. My mild Genesis obsession probably has something to do with it as well.

What kind of innocence are you talking about? Is it not being aware of certain things happening? Is it being aware but simply not knowing any better? Or are you simply trying to focus on the loss of innocence? It's actually one of the most common themes in any media (if not the most common theme), and there are a ton of different ways you can portray it. I'm not sure what you mean by harassing or forgetting innocence, though. Could you please clarify?
    COMING SOON

Warmonger - A fantasy fic where peasants fight the wars of kings and lords, where monsters lurk in the night, and where depravity is not only expected, but encouraged...

I wish you had touched upon this a bit more in the OP, since this is one of my favorite topics, and I tend to touch upon it a lot.

From what I've gathered, I believe one of the themes of Forsaken is the loss of innocence, especially since it's brought up a lot of times. Everyone in the story has lost it at some point, and depending on the character, some have lost it more harshly than others. I figure this has to deal with not so much my own experiences in slowly losing innocence over the years, but more-so with my beliefs of it. I believe there are two different types of innocence: a child-like view innocence and a physical innocence.

Child-like innocence is what we all probably think about when we think of innocence. It's how a child views the world, and the understanding of how it works. As we get older and our minds mature, we notice the more darker side of things, and find out not everything's black and white. We leave our childhood behind in order to better process how the outside world works, and how to survive it. We get more and more cynical this way. Could you still maintain a child-like view of the world? In the form of optimism, I believe you can. There is a difference between being child-like and being childish.

Then there's the physical innocence. This, I believe, is the innocence that is the last to be lost: virginity. Once your virginity is lost, so is your innocence. There is no exceptions, no matter how tragic it is. This is something many of us protect with our lives. I'm sure most people will rather die than to lose their virginity--at least when it comes to rape, which is one the harshest tragedies of this loss of innocence. You can say having the knowledge of sex counts as well, but to actually experience sex is something else entirely, and that is where I feel is when your innocence is lost forever.

That's what I think of when I think of innocence, and depending on the story, I'll touch on one or both of these. I don't know if that's what you were looking for, but that's what went through my mind. Skiyomi's take on it is pretty interesting since she mentions characters, so if anything, pay more attention to what she says.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

jireh the provider, please try to be a little more clear about the subject you want to discuss before you submit a thread. Taking the time to consider what you want to ask would have made this feel a lot more substantial.

Innocence really is a fascinating topic. A big part of the question is, I should think, "does having it or not having it matter?" Do we view characters as being better or worse off for it? Should this simply be considered a part of growing up, and do we celebrate development or mourn the loss of innocence? Can it ever be regained?

Incidentally, I really don't see this topic itself as being black or white (to borrow KP's words). I think there are terrific arguments and fascinating ways to explore both, and it's important to do so in a way that doesn't hurt, shame or demonize the way someone does or does not think and perceive the world. I think that's vital to keep in mind if this is what we want to discuss, especially in regards to the second kind of innocence KP mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I believe there are two different types of innocence: a child-like view innocence and a physical innocence.
    While these are both decent points, I don't think the idea of "innocence" is limited to only two categories, at least not such narrowly-defined ones. For instance, I don't think it's necessarily child-like to assume the best in everyone, though it is naive. Is ignorance about the world, how it works, the suffering that occurs there, also innocence? Are those who have not killed more innocent than those who have?

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Then there's the physical innocence. This, I believe, is the innocence that is the last to be lost: virginity. Once your virginity is lost, so is your innocence. There is no exceptions, no matter how tragic it is. This is something many of us protect with our lives. I'm sure most people will rather die than to lose their virginity--at least when it comes to rape, which is one the harshest tragedies of this loss of innocence. You can say having the knowledge of sex counts as well, but to actually experience sex is something else entirely, and that is where I feel is when your innocence is lost forever.
    I'm not sure losing your virginity necessarily means losing your innocence, especially depending on what defines "losing one's virginity." Can you lose this kind of innocence without necessarily having intercourse? Can you be a physical virgin but know enough about the subject to put those who are experienced to shame? How knowledgeable about sex do you have to be to no longer be "innocent" in that way?

Also, it depends on how important "physical innocence" is to you, and what having it or not having it means to you. Does how much it matters depend on your age, your gender? The time period and societal norms will certainly play a huge part. A woman's virginity was often tied to her honour and worth, after all. Aren't we still afflicted by such ridiculous perceptions?

Just some food for thought until the OP clarifies.

~Psychic

Pokéthon was a huge success! Check out our Facebook page for photos from the event!

Okay, Clearing is what you ask, sure. I'll provide it. I get te physical one but I focus on the mental and spiritual.

In my topic of innocence, what I like in my story to provide was that there are too many cynical people in today's society. Even the children of today lost their spiritual innocence by the harsh reality (just think of bullies during elementary). By today's standards, some to a lot of children want to grow up quickly. Whereas in the end, they regretted losing their innocence too quickly. But unfortunately, innocence doesn't have any value for some people.

-Whenever a grown up acts a bit like a child IN A PROPER MANNER or not, they only get harassed by their fellow grown up people.
    -If someone talks about something different even with permission, instead of disagreeing fairly, they disagree by harassing the speaker.
    -Of course, there are 2 sides that one promote lifetime adult maturity (disregard childhood innocence) for eternal happiness, and the other side promote lifetime childhood mindset (rarely or not worry about adult problems) to truly live life without fear from reality and happiness.

Normally, the theme of my fantasy is the value of balancing innocence and maturity. Which means it is okay for you to act both 'as a child' and act as a 'grown up adult'. For me, THIS is the true meaning of living that fits my story. Living a life of balance is the most difficult yet the most rewarding. That means, even in a world of harsh, cold, and unfair reality, in one's life, living with the mind of the adult with the spirit and passion of the child is the key to eternal living.

Innocence and Maturity are like Yin and Yang. One cannot live without the other.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)