Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 107

Thread: Too young to post?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default Too young to post?

    I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a "Sorry, we do not allow children of your age to register." or similar message from websites/fourms because of my age. Especially when (in this case) I can view what other people have posted. What also erks me is that I can easily lie about it! Take Facebook for example. If I put my birth year as say, 1986, it would be absolutly fine, but how dare I truthfully type in anything from 1994-present! There are perfectly good reasons why websites wouldn't want 10 year olds (nothing against 10 year olds) trolling (or doing/reading/looking at other things), but when you can easily lie about something like that, I find it very annoying and not really solving the problem. Take for example my example: That message came from a prominent coin collecting website. Specific for that case: I know a good number of under-legal-age year olds who could/would contribute a large amount of knowledge to the fourm. I can understand on "adult" websites, but otherwise I don't see the benifit.

    Somethings to consiter:
    *Anybody could easily lie about their age
    *Today a 17 year old can't join, but tomorrow the same guy (now 18) can
    *It actually keeps people from (gasp) asking questions and (double-gasp) learning something)
    *Serebii is free for anyone of any age to use, so lets all thank them for that liberty!

    I posted this thread to see what you all think (both under and over age) about this topic, so without further due:
    [IMG][url=http://www.dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx]
    [IMG][url=http://www.dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    This totally blew my mind when I found this out last year in my business law class. It is illegal in America for websites to collect information from people under 13. If your'e 12, they can't ask you for your name. This law was passed in I think 1997. I was wondering then why I suddenly couldn't play Yahoo! Games anymore. That's the reason.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    The interwebbs is a cruel, cruel place. Don't believe me? Apparently the majority of it is pornography.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    The interwebbs is a cruel, cruel place. Don't believe me? Apparently the majority of it is pornography.
    Nope. Only 1% is.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    a really nice chair
    Posts
    3,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Nope. Only 1% is.
    If you are an animal, every animal photo withoud clothes is pornos.

    Therfore ParaChomp's statistic is correct.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas View Post
    If you are an animal, every animal photo withoud clothes is pornos.

    Therfore ParaChomp's statistic is correct.
    I can argue that anything you consider to be pornography is just art. Now there's no more porn on the internet.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FE21 View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a "Sorry, we do not allow children of your age to register." or similar message from websites/fourms because of my age. Especially when (in this case) I can view what other people have posted. What also erks me is that I can easily lie about it! Take Facebook for example. If I put my birth year as say, 1986, it would be absolutly fine, but how dare I truthfully type in anything from 1994-present! There are perfectly good reasons why websites wouldn't want 10 year olds (nothing against 10 year olds) trolling (or doing/reading/looking at other things), but when you can easily lie about something like that, I find it very annoying and not really solving the problem. Take for example my example: That message came from a prominent coin collecting website. Specific for that case: I know a good number of under-legal-age year olds who could/would contribute a large amount of knowledge to the fourm. I can understand on "adult" websites, but otherwise I don't see the benifit.

    Somethings to consiter:
    *Anybody could easily lie about their age
    *Today a 17 year old can't join, but tomorrow the same guy (now 18) can
    *It actually keeps people from (gasp) asking questions and (double-gasp) learning something)
    *Serebii is free for anyone of any age to use, so lets all thank them for that liberty!

    I posted this thread to see what you all think (both under and over age) about this topic, so without further due:
    The thing is, on a site like Facebook, you can put up profile pictures. If your age is 42 and you have albums full of Pokémon and pictures of 10 year old boys, it's going to get suspicious. Asking for age is better than not asking at all. We can at least compare the age of the user with his/her friends and see how it matches up. If a 42 year old's friend list is full of middle school kids, either he's really creepy or he's not old enough to have a Facebook. I know not all sites allow you to upload pictures of yourself (this forum, for instance) so there's no real way of telling how old someone can be aside from the way they post and interact with other members.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Nope. Only 1% is.
    Did my research (don't worry, it's clean). Nonetheless, when considering the whole, that's a pretty big chunk regardless.

    On topic of arguments, they can get easily out of hand for worthless things. Just skim around these forums to find out what I'm talking about.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Until the average young person is not stupid, we shall assume that they're all stupid and that discredits anything they have to say.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Somewhere between 2-12% of the internet is porn (depending on if you are talking full on porn sites or just sites that might contain porn). Most of those statistics that say 40-98% are just made up BS.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/julieruv...ally-for-porn/

    Sort of on topic, conversations like THIS is usually why younger people are banned from most websites. Simply put, even on child friendly websites like Serebii things aren't really child friendly.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    267

    Default

    I agree with the OP-immature people should be banned, and age wouldn't matter at all.

    I hate stupid people...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Sort of on topic, conversations like THIS is usually why younger people are banned from most websites. Simply put, even on child friendly websites like Serebii things aren't really child friendly.
    Don't remind me of competitive battling...and don't remind me of anime either despite my signature.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inna House... With Cable!!!
    Posts
    3,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FE21 View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a "Sorry, we do not allow children of your age to register." or similar message from websites/fourms because of my age. Especially when (in this case) I can view what other people have posted. What also erks me is that I can easily lie about it! Take Facebook for example. If I put my birth year as say, 1986, it would be absolutly fine, but how dare I truthfully type in anything from 1994-present! There are perfectly good reasons why websites wouldn't want 10 year olds (nothing against 10 year olds) trolling (or doing/reading/looking at other things), but when you can easily lie about something like that, I find it very annoying and not really solving the problem. Take for example my example: That message came from a prominent coin collecting website. Specific for that case: I know a good number of under-legal-age year olds who could/would contribute a large amount of knowledge to the fourm. I can understand on "adult" websites, but otherwise I don't see the benifit.

    Somethings to consiter:
    *Anybody could easily lie about their age
    *Today a 17 year old can't join, but tomorrow the same guy (now 18) can
    *It actually keeps people from (gasp) asking questions and (double-gasp) learning something)
    *Serebii is free for anyone of any age to use, so lets all thank them for that liberty!

    I posted this thread to see what you all think (both under and over age) about this topic, so without further due:
    This is where a parent fails! If a parent is not minding their child, and that child ends up somewhere they don't belong, It's that parents fault.

    The age laws are there for a reason, failed as they are, they are meant to protect children from exposure to inappropriate material. I personally would not let my 11 year old son on this forum. I am fine with him looking at the other areas of Serebii for Pokemon research, but I don't want him to see the tripe some of the member here post. On a forum for a kids game swearing should be a immediate bannable offense.

    But the point is there are rules about age for a reason, just because someone is willing to lie about their age... Well that just proves the kind of person is in the first place.

    So true!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    INSIDE...
    Posts
    2,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatguy View Post
    I agree with the OP-immature people should be banned, and age wouldn't matter at all.

    I hate stupid people...
    Young is not necessarily stupid, though. And even if it is, it's entirely possible to grow up and learn better. Ask anyone who's been on the internet for five to ten years since they were a teenager, and you'll probably get a lot of similar answers on that.

    Gonna have to agree that "child-friendly" doesn't necessarily mean anything on the internet nowadays, and that it's really the parents' responsibility more than the kid's. The kid is going to do what they want anyway, and more than likely lie about age to have the same freedom as the "big kids" online, which is why parents need to actually do something about it -- internet controls come to mind, although there's also a whole debate about invasive parenting in monitoring kids' online activities in its own right.


    SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

    Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    The age laws are there for a reason, failed as they are, they are meant to protect children from exposure to inappropriate material. I personally would not let my 11 year old son on this forum. I am fine with him looking at the other areas of Serebii for Pokemon research, but I don't want him to see the tripe some of the member here post. On a forum for a kids game swearing should be a immediate bannable offense.
    I didn't realize who you were until I tried to quote you. I thought your avatar was the Ampharos from your signature.

    I agree that there needs to be stricter rules on censor bypassing. I don't know whether or not the mods are actually infracting the offenders, but the fact that the censor bypased posts are left unedited means that the mods aren't doing enough. It seems that even the mods forget that kids also go to Pokémon message boards.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    You can't spell consider and you think you're going to learn things of consequence on this site.

    Yeah you're too young to be on the internet alone.
    I wrote the RBY and GSC pages on serebii.net

    https://twitter.com/cifalacus

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cifala View Post
    You can't spell consider and you think you're going to learn things of consequence on this site.

    Yeah you're too young to be on the internet alone.
    Splling and grammer hav nuthing to do wiht aje.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    I agree that there needs to be stricter rules on censor bypassing. I don't know whether or not the mods are actually infracting the offenders, but the fact that the censor bypased posts are left unedited means that the mods aren't doing enough. It seems that even the mods forget that kids also go to Pokémon message boards.
    I've been interacted for cussing through avoiding censorship recently but other times I don't. In all honesty, I think it comes down to the area of the forum or the mods (no offence). Worst part is, people are harsher in the areas that are stricter on censoring.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    8,980

    Default

    It has already be stated many times that the censor rules depend on the section and mods in question. In Misc/OVGD/Atl. Anime, where everyone is pretty much 16+, you can curse and not get infracted as long as your post has some kind of point other than to swear. In other sections like Generation 1/2/3/4/5 discussion and GPD it might be enforced more due to Pokemon topics attracting younger members that are sometimes 10-14 of age or so.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    I can argue that anything you consider to be pornography is just art. Now there's no more porn on the internet.
    No you can't.

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Splling and grammer hav nuthing to do wiht aje.
    Yes it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    About 97% of these women posing for pornographic pictures are held at gunpoint, and it can be anywhere. The majority of the time is by force.
    Lulz wat?

    SC: 5414 - 8627 - 7288 Platinum: 2621 - 8560 - 3249

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    I can argue that anything you consider to be pornography is just art. Now there's no more porn on the internet.
    I can argue that anything you consider to be art is just pornography. Now you're a smart-aleck who opened a can of worms.

    Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    This is where a parent fails! If a parent is not minding their child, and that child ends up somewhere they don't belong, It's that parents fault.
    I've been saying this for a while -- though maybe not necessarily specifically about the Internet.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChedWick View Post
    No you can't.
    He can, but he'd be wrong -- which isn't really anything new, pardon my French.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cifala View Post
    You can't spell consider and you think you're going to learn things of consequence on this site.

    Yeah you're too young to be on the internet alone.
    I can't spell it or I might have hit the wrong key and didn't catch the mistake when I read it back to myself...
    All things CONSIDERed, I'm leaning towards the second one...
    [IMG][url=http://www.dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx]
    [IMG][url=http://www.dragonflycave.com/newpay.aspx]

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lost in thought...
    Posts
    497

    Default

    I believe that people should always 'ask an adult before going online', when they're young. I think that the internet is quite a shifty place in some areas, and that people should always be careful. Sometimes, people really aren't at the maturity level needed to face the internet...which is a massive jumble of a HUGE amount of different ideologies and beliefs and lifestyles. There are people out there who might take advantage of them, and that worries me. Age limits are there for a reason, but I also think that first and foremost, the parents should be the ones looking out for their own kids.

    | tumblr. | dA |

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    It has already be stated many times that the censor rules depend on the section and mods in question. In Misc/OVGD/Atl. Anime, where everyone is pretty much 16+, you can curse and not get infracted as long as your post has some kind of point other than to swear. In other sections like Generation 1/2/3/4/5 discussion and GPD it might be enforced more due to Pokemon topics attracting younger members that are sometimes 10-14 of age or so.
    Seems like some mods aren't doing their job.
    Jackpot!

    I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Seems like some mods aren't doing their job.
    I know, people swear on Smogon all the time. Now let me cuss in the competitive section!

    That said, I know I'm repeating myself, but it's usually the places that have more mature topics that let censoring slide.

    Stumbled upon this post.
    Last edited by ParaChomp; 12th September 2012 at 6:33 AM. Reason: LOLs
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •