Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 107

Thread: Too young to post?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Shiver Star
    Posts
    2,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Now let me cuss in the competitive section!
    You're acting like a petulant child who thinks that he's entitled to break the rules. Stop whining. You don't have to, nor do you need to, swear.
    We can all agree that the second generation was either Pokémon's Golden Age or its Silver Age.

    Black and White gave me a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same.

    Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,997

    Default

    I think young people have more of a right to come on these sites than immature adults.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inna House... With Cable!!!
    Posts
    3,829

    Default

    HEY!
    I resemble that Remark Mandi!!!

    So true!

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    HEY!
    I resemble that Remark Mandi!!!

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inna House... With Cable!!!
    Posts
    3,829

    Default

    Perfect comeback pic/post Mandi!

    So true!

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    I'm just going to say, if we're reaching the age of technology and internet and still barring a lot of kids from the world, we'll have shelter kids, the internet version...

    of course, this can be elaborated and broken down, but i can't solidify my idea yet...
    hopefully someone catch my thought

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    INSIDE...
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    I'm just going to say, if we're reaching the age of technology and internet and still barring a lot of kids from the world, we'll have shelter kids, the internet version...

    of course, this can be elaborated and broken down, but i can't solidify my idea yet...
    hopefully someone catch my thought
    I think the internet would do the exact opposite, in a sense, because it's just so vast. There's the problem of potential addiction and all, but for the most part, it doesn't exactly shelter them the same way as not letting them use it at all. (Actually, I think disallowing kids use of the internet at all is more sheltering in today's age.)

    The issue here seems to be more whether parents would want to keep their kids from stumbling into something they shouldn't, and ultimately protecting them from their own stupidity and/or immaturity.


    SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

    Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama


  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Die Vereinigten Staaten
    Posts
    290

    Default

    I say some people shouldn't be allowed within 20 feet of a computer (IOW They shouldn't post). Either they're too young, too immature, or just flat out not right to be online. It makes being on Forums like this a lot less enjoyable. They play the system and avoid what it SHOULD be doing, which is making this place better and troll free. It's surprising what kind of people are on here; I love the honest people here, and its fun to chat with them, but some of the "annoying ones" (for lack of a better word) make me want to leave.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ~!The Milky Way!~
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post
    I think the internet would do the exact opposite, in a sense, because it's just so vast. There's the problem of potential addiction and all, but for the most part, it doesn't exactly shelter them the same way as not letting them use it at all. (Actually, I think disallowing kids use of the internet at all is more sheltering in today's age.)

    The issue here seems to be more whether parents would want to keep their kids from stumbling into something they shouldn't, and ultimately protecting them from their own stupidity and/or immaturity.
    don't forget I said both "age of technology and internet" and "barring a lot of kids from the world".
    I might be unclear, but the latter part meant the internet lol.

    Also, I think it's not just about blocking kids to stumble things. Some things parents -need- to talk to their kids about. The Sex talk. The curse word talk. The etiquette talk. And you could have too many talks and helicopter parents, but that's whole another topic...

    Challenges completed: LG Grass mono
    Pokemon HGSS roleplaying forum. Referral: Tikikala

    FC: 2981 6880 2804
    Flying Safari:

  10. #35
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Elsa's Ice Palace.
    Posts
    3,475

    Default

    My sister joined facebook when she was 7..which was last year... It's sort of weird. I broke the rules myself for joining TradeMe...like eBay when i was 14...Legal age there is 18...nya~
    I support ElsAnna. Hate it? Bug off

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    INSIDE...
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacho View Post
    Also, I think it's not just about blocking kids to stumble things. Some things parents -need- to talk to their kids about. The Sex talk. The curse word talk. The etiquette talk. And you could have too many talks and helicopter parents, but that's whole another topic...
    They should, but they often don't, because the media or other people can do it for them, or the kids can find out themselves. Lackluster parenting is what ultimately leads to a lot of the problems that have been mentioned here already.


    SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

    Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama


  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    This is where a parent fails! If a parent is not minding their child, and that child ends up somewhere they don't belong, It's that parents fault.

    The age laws are there for a reason, failed as they are, they are meant to protect children from exposure to inappropriate material. I personally would not let my 11 year old son on this forum. I am fine with him looking at the other areas of Serebii for Pokemon research, but I don't want him to see the tripe some of the member here post. On a forum for a kids game swearing should be a immediate bannable offense.

    But the point is there are rules about age for a reason, just because someone is willing to lie about their age... Well that just proves the kind of person is in the first place.
    Explain what makes the inappropriate material inappropriate. I've seen many warnings about inappropriate material, but they have always been superfluous. It's actually even bothering me that I can't watch some youtube videos because someone flagged them as inappropriate.
    Protecting children from inappropriate material might be good, but that's only if there is inappropriate material to protect them from and I can't think of an example of that.
    A significant amount of adults start watching pornography when they are 12-13 years old and some even have intercourse at that age and I don't see anything bad about it.
    The other thing that seem to get a lot of warnings as inappropriate material is gore. People get to see that in biology class at a young age, so why not at the internet? I'd like it if someone tells me why it's bad that children or young adults might see these "inappropriate" things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post
    Young is not necessarily stupid, though. And even if it is, it's entirely possible to grow up and learn better. Ask anyone who's been on the internet for five to ten years since they were a teenager, and you'll probably get a lot of similar answers on that.
    I've been a member of forums like this one for at least 5 years and I'm still a teenager. As I've gotten older, my brain have developed and I have also gained more knowledge, but what I've written have basically been the same for 5 years. It might be more structured, better explained and possibly more advanced thoughts now, but I'm still writing in the same type of threads, responding to the same type of comments and writing similar things.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom & Ireland
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Discussion boards are scary, desolate and cold places. Now your forums and stuff have their age limits because children younger than the age of 12 are very gullible and tend to go along with anything, so in other words they're very susceptible to being abducted or giving away important information that strangers shouldn't know, etc. I fully understand that children aged 12 and above are just as susceptible to this in some cases, but the law has to draw a line somewhere. To give a voice to those in danger above 11 posting on discussion boards, I personally think that they should be lightly supervised by parents until a good age (18?), or until their parents feel that they have a good understanding. It is out of the law's grasp if children are still in danger as this point, really, because as another poster said, it's only really bad parenting that leads to a young person being in danger on the Internet.

    Quote Originally Posted by FE21 View Post
    Somethings to consiter:
    *Anybody could easily lie about their age
    This is true (and to be fair, it actually should be more strongly enforced in my opinion, but what can you do), but anybody can easily lie about a lot of things in life. It comes down to parenting once again; "those who lie never truly benefit".

    *Today a 17 year old can't join, but tomorrow the same guy (now 18) can
    The line has to be drawn somewhere. By playing that card, somebody two days before their 18th is only 1 day younger than a person who just joined, so they should be allowed to join too right? And then what about a person 3 days away from their 18? They're only 1 day away from someone able to join as well now, so they should just be allowed to join... and so on and so forth.

    *It actually keeps people from (gasp) asking questions and (double-gasp) learning something)
    I don't think knowledge should be valued above safety.

    *Serebii is free for anyone of any age to use, so lets all thank them for that liberty!
    Wohoo
    [img]http://i37.*******.com/kaqkj7.jpg[/img]
    Nostalgic banner made by Team Brushfire (probably not even an active member anymore)
    Last.fm

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    INSIDE...
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I've been a member of forums like this one for at least 5 years and I'm still a teenager. As I've gotten older, my brain have developed and I have also gained more knowledge, but what I've written have basically been the same for 5 years. It might be more structured, better explained and possibly more advanced thoughts now, but I'm still writing in the same type of threads, responding to the same type of comments and writing similar things.
    That's what I mean, though. You start out with ideas and thoughts just as legitimate as an eighteen-year-old or a middle-aged person, but you don't have the social skills, tact, or maturity to channel those ideas the same way older people do. General you, because I've seen a lot of cases where young teens are making asses of themselves on the internet without meaning to, but then three or four years later, they've grown up a lot and have cleaned up their act a bit, despite being the same person. I'm a good example of that, too, actually... you don't wanna know about what I did on the internet at thirteen, oh lordy.

    Part of a parent's job is to guide their kids into being functional adults who can continue on their way without having to rely on their parents or other people, and I think allowing them to learn from their own mistakes instead of sheltering them is a big part of that. Saving them from their own stupidity, however... it's one thing if a tween decides to troll a forum and get banned from it and cries to mommy, but totally another if they wind up doing something dumb like threatening someone who decides to take action against them, or agreeing to meet someone offline for sex who is showing all the warning signs of being a bad apple... stuff like that that could get them in legal trouble, or any other type of palpable trouble.


    SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

    Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama


  15. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post
    I'm a good example of that, too, actually... you don't wanna know about what I did on the internet at thirteen, oh lordy.
    I actually returned to the first forum I was a member of after writing that post to read what I wrote when I was thirteen. I don't know if you want to know what I wrote, but I do know that I don't want you (or anyone else) to know what I wrote.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    well yeah i think that there are some things/sites that kids shouldnt post on.
    but the strictness is so annoying when people can lie about stuff.
    i mean i wouldnt post on something that asked me for something that i didnt want to give.
    and if i thought that they didnt deserve what they were asking for i wouldnt want to be there at all.
    Live long and prosper


    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me or take a look at the information in my profile.

  17. #42

    Default

    .... i really don't know what to say. people put an age restriction to prevent underaged people because they think people under a certain age can't handle it. for any site to ask for an age is dumb because the fact that if the person can hold an email, they can handle the responsibilities of the site in question.
    join t-flare


    http://t-flare.com/

  18. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thetruepichu View Post
    .... i really don't know what to say. people put an age restriction to prevent underaged people because they think people under a certain age can't handle it. for any site to ask for an age is dumb because the fact that if the person can hold an email, they can handle the responsibilities of the site in question.
    Agreed. (this is coming from a 7th grader who thinks Activison and EA suck, and that Valve and Nintendo rock. (which is true, as shown in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ ))

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    INSIDE...
    Posts
    2,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thetruepichu View Post
    .... i really don't know what to say. people put an age restriction to prevent underaged people because they think people under a certain age can't handle it. for any site to ask for an age is dumb because the fact that if the person can hold an email, they can handle the responsibilities of the site in question.
    A lot of them can't. Maybe they think they can, but there are just enough that can't to require that kind of stipulation to be in place.

    Never mind the fact that it can make others online uncomfortable to be talking to a ten or eleven-year-old on a site they know they're not supposed to be on, and how it gets about a hundred times worse when you bring in things like erotic content online and how kids lie about their age to get access to it. Especially if it's an interactive site; adults on those sites don't want to write with, chat with, or otherwise be in the presence of someone who could land them in jail or cause a whole hell of a lot of discomfort otherwise.

    It's not usually that extreme, but it can get others in trouble because of your lie. As far as most people are concerned, anyone under the age of thirteen is generally not emotionally equipped to be using the internet anyway.


    SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

    Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama


  20. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Within the inner sanctum.
    Posts
    181

    Default

    I feel this debate has bounced a bit between the thought of "How far does one measure the scope of 'Using the internet?' Is it a tool solely of socialization, or an evil hive of forbidden knowledge and concepts no younger individual should be exposed to?" If it is solely a wand of social media, I would agree that the younger generation should not use it. From experience, younger folks have a hard time grasping the concept that sub-forums have their own rulesets, and tend to wind up in silly situations, like posting an ad for a Fan Comic in a Fan Fiction thread.

    For the latter, you are dealing with a wider, much more subjective concept. The internet in and of itself is a brilliant learning device, but only in the right hands. If we, the USA (My country, for the purposes of this argument) placed an internet-wide age limit, we would be dealing with an internet censorship scandal (SOPA and China come to mind.) And when I say "Internet-Wide age limit," I'm not talking like a little bar that pops up in a redirect window in every citizen's browser - that's not how we'd handle it. The Government knows better, and they know everybody's age. We'd be looking at a bill that enacted a nationwide parental control, sponsored by the government.

    And they'd have help, too. I recall a post talking about personal information being leaked. While that is an issue, remember that companies like Google keep track of everything you say, do and look at. Google Chrome might be fast and efficient, but what is the point when now you have two faceless entities watching your every move?

    My best advice is not to use social media outlets much at all. I've spent more time reading about Internet History than all the time I've spent here combined. Compare my post count with my join date. It says something. Probably something about time management.

    And I hate to bring this up, but it is at the very least somewhat relevant: Manchildren. They exist, and I can name at least one with a wiki.
    Last edited by Spudnugget1; 13th October 2012 at 1:00 PM. Reason: Incorrect semantics.

    Creating sentience is simple. Accepting it, however, is harder than it looks.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Most websites make you be 13+ because the law says they cant take information from anyone under 13 years old. Obviously, they are aware of the fact that you can easily lie about your age but its just a legal safety net. Usually they arent just trying to get at kids under 13. Another reason they might not want little kids on their websites is so that they can be free to curse and discuss adult things like mortgages and reading the newspaper without being hassled by youngsters. And usually kids cant type or express their opinions in a constructive way.
    Last edited by OldManJenkins; 19th October 2012 at 3:10 AM.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Anyone should be able to post on the Internet as long as they can handle criticism and can read and write the preferred language of said board, forum, or anything else on the Internet that's socially interactive.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland.
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    The interwebbs is a cruel, cruel place. Don't believe me? Apparently the majority of it is pornography.
    Nope, Majority is Spam and Advertisements.


    Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    This totally blew my mind when I found this out last year in my business law class. It is illegal in America for websites to collect information from people under 13. If your'e 12, they can't ask you for your name. This law was passed in I think 1997. I was wondering then why I suddenly couldn't play Yahoo! Games anymore. That's the reason.
    Pretty much exactly this... Although, it's not just limited to America.
    3DS FC : 2020-0494-0652 [Y]
    Friend Safari : ;662;

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Yeah the majority of stuff on the internet is spam,advertisement or porn.

    The rest consists of information, false or not, though its that information that i feel can be quite detrimental to a teenager. Though
    their is a lot that of teenagers that can handle whats up on the internet, theirs a hell of a lot that they cant and that they could
    misunderstand or misinterpret. As a result, that misinterpretation or misunderstanding could lead to a number of things including a post on that forum that doesn't make any sense in regards to what might be deemed an arcane or hard to understand topic, in which would stunt the topic in itself. This one reason though
    is by fare not the only reason many sites have age restrictions.

    Theirs a number of forums in which might offer information in which would and could
    change ones perspective in quite a dramatic way if understood,misunderstood or even simply read. The pure fact that on the internet
    people often reveal what they truly feel because of the medium in itself and the way people are allowed to express their mind offers an
    unadulterated sometimes offensive view/opinion. In that case, any age restriction is obviously looking out for others.
    That in itself, is a justifiable excuse to slap a age restriction on the front page of almost any site.
    Its understandable that many of these sites with age restrictions might be offering information or even knowledge in which that *teenager*
    might actively be wanting to seek out , but weather that person could actually understand that information
    or knowledge and in some cases interpret the information correctly, is the reason their are age restrictions on forums.
    Because the truth and even false information can be very dangerous..
    Last edited by Celestial Moth; 26th October 2012 at 7:50 PM.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    It's dark and it's kinda scary
    Posts
    6,514

    Default

    Your never too young to post, heck after your born, the first word you learn could be Serebii.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
    Well fuk u too

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •