Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Too young to post?

Quote Originally Posted by EzzPeon View Post
    There isn't much you can do to keep children off the internet by putting age restrictions on things since they can easily be bypassed most of the time.

You can't judge someone's maturity or responsibility from their age, at least not with teenagers. And adults could be immature and irresponsible too.

So there is a lot of inappropriate stuff for kids on the web, but the internet is also a great place to learn. Because I know that I learnt a lot from the internet and by being on Serebii. I was twelve when I joined here and it was absolutely horrendous. I went and posted terrible sprite artwork, couldn't take criticism, got into some discussion with someone and my posts hurt to look at with all the mistakes and capitals everywhere. (At least I wasn't a troll.) But the internet is how learnt English, which is not my native language. I have a lot of knowledge from reading around here and today, two and a half years later, I still feel like I have some advantage over other people in my class that are actually older than me. And that's thanks to things I've read and come across on the internet over the years. I'm better at taking criticism nowadays, too. Hopefully.

Still, age restrictions should be there in some cases, absolutely at sites with explicit content. And even when anyone can lie about it, it's at least a warning. It's ridiculous that some parents just let really young children on the internet, though..
    I say amen to this comment.
    I'm 12 and people on here who don't look at my age think I'm older than I really am.
    Heck, I've seen 42 yr olds on here with less maturity than me!

It's all about majority. If you're going to spam and troll, you deserve to get banned regardless if you're 8 or 23.

Also, the mods need to seriously edit posts that have bypassed the censors. There are 4 year old who come here.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

i would argue that there are much worse things than the occasional curse word that a 4 year old can be exposed to on the internet. see: just about any fandom. 4 is way too young for the internet. i think kids shouldn't really be using the internet unsupervised until they're 12 or 13.
    life is
    a game

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    i would argue that there are much worse things than the occasional curse word that a 4 year old can be exposed to on the internet. see: just about any fandom. 4 is way too young for the internet. i think kids shouldn't really be using the internet unsupervised until they're 12 or 13.
    It can't be helped. The average Pokémon player is 4 years old. Mods still need to do their job though.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    It can't be helped. The average Pokémon player is 4 years old. Mods still need to do their job though.
    yes they do. namely, places like this debate forum should be off limits to those below a certain age.

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    yes they do. namely, places like this debate forum should be off limits to those below a certain age.
    Censor bypassing is against the rules. I don't know whether or not mods are infracting the offenders, but they're surly not editing the posts afterward.
    Jackpot!

It can't be helped.
    uhhhhh yeah it can, parental supervision when using the internet is a must

The average Pokémon player is 4 years old.
    way to pull that out of nowhere, i'm pretty sure a tiny amount of kids under the age of 6 or 7 can even figure out how to PLAY the game. i have 4 year old cousins and they sure as hell aren't smart enough yet to figure out strategies or how to use the internet by themselves.

Mods still need to do their job though.
    we do, and i'm sure you don't know what it involves so please don't try to tell us how to do our jobs.

any more discussion on how much work the mods are doing will be considered spam and infractable, thanks!
    life is
    a game

If you own a site then you can set the age limit to whatever you want. Oh? You say that you can lie about your age and sign up anyway? Good. If you see something that you don't like or someone says something that gets you mad, then you can only blame yourself for it.

I don't care about age limits. I've always been over the age limit whenever a site stated that they had one so it never bothered me.

The average Pokémon player is 4 years old.
    You do know that this is in no way correct, right?

Either way, back when I was young, I lied about my age and such many times. Not everyone is going to be scared for life by being exposed to something "inappropriate."

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Either way, back when I was young, I lied about my age and such many times. Not everyone is going to be scared for life by being exposed to something "inappropriate."
    I think they're being scared because some stupid kid is going get conned online and end up getting raped. It happens.
    Jackpot!

Hey I'm ten and you don't see me trolling the Serebii forums, do you?
    I don't have a Facebook/Twitter, things like that as I'm too young. Ok maybe I lied slightly, I'm eleven in ten days, on march the eigth but ya know what I mean.
    I am on these forums as tbh a swear word doesn't offend me. But I do understand the age limit one fb/twitter as they don't have similar rules to this forum rof awesome pokemon stuff:-)

image credit goes to me, yay! i might make you an image if you ask nicely
    +I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste if you are too!+

Quote Originally Posted by FE21 View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a "Sorry, we do not allow children of your age to register." or similar message from websites/fourms because of my age. Especially when (in this case) I can view what other people have posted. What also erks me is that I can easily lie about it! Take Facebook for example. If I put my birth year as say, 1986, it would be absolutly fine, but how dare I truthfully type in anything from 1994-present! There are perfectly good reasons why websites wouldn't want 10 year olds (nothing against 10 year olds) trolling (or doing/reading/looking at other things), but when you can easily lie about something like that, I find it very annoying and not really solving the problem. Take for example my example: That message came from a prominent coin collecting website. Specific for that case: I know a good number of under-legal-age year olds who could/would contribute a large amount of knowledge to the fourm. I can understand on "adult" websites, but otherwise I don't see the benifit.

Somethings to consiter:
    *Anybody could easily lie about their age
    *Today a 17 year old can't join, but tomorrow the same guy (now 18) can
    *It actually keeps people from (gasp) asking questions and (double-gasp) learning something)
    *Serebii is free for anyone of any age to use, so lets all thank them for that liberty!

I posted this thread to see what you all think (both under and over age) about this topic, so without further due:
    kids and teenagers are pretentious and arrogant and always think they know/understand more than they do. get over this age discrimination, there are more serious forms of discrimination about, like against republicans, just suck and up and get over yourself, at least YOU can grow out of it.

Biased AGAINST Republicans? Republicans, who have admitted they need to be more inclusive to anyone who is not white, straight, or male because their dated ideologies are losing them support, and yet have done little to nothing to actually act on these admissions? Whose prominent party members have continued to make racist/sexist/homophobic comments as though it wasn't a big deal? Who endorsed a man who was incredibly unabashed about his disregard for people of color, people below the poverty line, women, people with disabilities, the elderly, and anyone who doesn't fit his idea of who/what a working-class American should be?

Let me play you the world's smallest violin! Comparing "discrimination against young people" to "discrimination against Republicans" is the weakest possible comparison you could come up with, not only because the Republicans can cry me a goddamn river for all I care when it comes to not having one of their representatives elected president for eight years (lord forbid), but because... age discrimination is not a thing. At all. If you're under legal age, you can damn well wait like the rest of us. Sucks to hear, believe me, I understand, but you're not special enough snowflakes to demand equality the same way all the groups Republicans routinely ignore and demean do.

I don't have any sympathy for this argument, sorry.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Kids should be allowed kn, but it's their problem if they get into anything that they don't like.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Age restrictions shall exist though people don't obey it.

In the end you can say that at least you tried to avoid children of acessing censored content.

I always just lied. A number of sites still have me a bit older than I really am as they have no way to adjust age settings.

Anyway, while I do think that many age based restrictions are silly and arbitrary, I do understand they are trying to protect kids. Though I doubt they accomplish that very well.
    Shiny Semi-Flawless/Flawless (5th gen):

Working on Learning 5th gen RNG.
    Diamond FC: 4213 0213 1340
    Black FC: 2666 8273 4049

Yay, I've claimed Charizard .

Like other people said, it depends on the maturity of the kid, if they can handle different opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Age restrictions shall exist though people don't obey it.

In the end you can say that at least you tried to avoid children of acessing censored content.
    yeah. I mean you will get people who go round it, it is just ticking a box that says 'i am at least...'. there is no way of telling if it is true. as long as they understand what they are signing up for then they should be allowed to do so. if they can make a mature decison then let them do so. we can't stop them, only warn them.
    The Doctor: 'People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually*
    from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.'
    In other words: Time is Complicated.
    Credit to epicjirachifan, Chapter of Charizard FairyWitch and Astaral Shadow of the Under

Here's the fact of the matter. If you are the webmaster of a web site or forum, and children see it, you are the one who gets in trouble if something happens, or if a kid sees something they shouldn't, especially if there's no age restriction. It doesn't matter what you say, or how you try and justify it. Parents will not see it that way. I've seen this happen. I've been there when soccer moms have complained. I've seen situations with children that caused websites to crash and burn, and the scary thing is, it doesn't take much. On a rather large forum I used to visit a few years back, it only took one incident where a kid's mother complained to authorities that her kid was being harrassed, to shut down the whole place, lock, stock and barrel.

You can blame the people who were on the site or the kids who shouldn't have been there until you're blue in the face. But at the end of the day, the buck stops with the webmaster. He was the one that got in trouble for it, not the kids.

And yeah, it's scary to think that this kind of thing can happen. But it can, and it does.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Serebii stated that there isn't an age limit on this forum. This is mostly because COPPA doesn't necessarily apply to the UK. Even so as long as you act mature and behave well then you're fine here.

But in the end, age limits restricting children on forums are pretty much useless. We have parents buying Call of Duty for kids, we have little children running on FPS'es like Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike and others.

To be fair, I've always lied, because if I hadn't lied about my age at any point on the internet then I probably wouldn't even be here. The only game that I couldn't actually play and couldn't get away with lying is Second Life. That looked like a perfect imitation of real life, but you have to prove your age by verifying your identity to the publishers.

3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

Yeah, age limits do absolutely nothing to enforce COPPA in its area of jurisdiction without the users actually divulging their age - paywalls (like Something Awful's) and email restrictions (like NeoGAF's) tend to do that much more effectively.
    last.fm
    facebook

OFFICIAL ATTACK HUCKSTER OF SPP
    If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

Not just to change the topic, because this kinda relates. What do you guys think of people under age playing rated M games? especially your ones like COD where you can communicate with one another
    Epic trades for you!

FC:
    Black 2: 4857 4837 4412

Offering:
    DWF:

Looking for:

Please if you want any of these and more just PM me!

All of the above are only available in black/white 2... I'm waiting for the pokemon transporter :P

In Pokemon x/y
    FC: 3754-6299-8594

Offering: Chespin, Fennekin, Squirtle, protean froakie
    Vivillions: elegant, modern
    Things I'm looking for: Mega pinsir's stone, mewtwo x's stone, mega tyranitars stone, mega manectric's stone

I firmly believe that everyone under the age of 12-13 years old should be barred from ever posting anything on the Internet. It would benefit them by preventing them from inevitably feeling horrible, horrible, soul-crushing shame as a result of happening upon old posts that they can't believe were actually typed by their former self, and it would benefit everyone else by preventing them from reading the kind of nonsense that 11-year-olds tend to post on the Internet.

(I might be biased and responding emotionally to the fact that I'm speaking as someone who just came across this website again and is being forced to come face-to-face with the kinds of things he posted at age 11 for the very first time, but still.)
    I used to be on this website in like 2007 when I was 11-12 years old. I'm going to assume that every single post I ever made during that time was horribly cringeworthy and I fully apologize for and shamefully redact everything that I ever said on here when I was an annoying prepubescent brat.

I think it really depends on what site kids go on. They may also lie about their age and they might see somthing that like worries them or something. I guess they try and make websites safe.
    Last edited by pokemonmaster99325; 6th July 2013 at 7:19 PM.
    I love every Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by fitzy909 View Post
    yeah. I mean you will get people who go round it, it is just ticking a box that says 'i am at least...'. there is no way of telling if it is true. as long as they understand what they are signing up for then they should be allowed to do so. if they can make a mature decison then let them do so. we can't stop them, only warn them.
    But they are just as likely to not heed that "warning" as they are to lie about their age.

I do not really think classifying someone as too young to post is good. As the original poster says, it limits our knowledge. Being in a society with older people can be helpful: it lets us learn many things we may not know, it increases our vocabulary, etc. I know, there are offensive things not meant for children, but they would get to know about them sooner or later, we cannot have them living under a rock, so how about preparing them beforehand?

A common misconception is that age would indicate mental maturity. I disagree: knowing more can actually help people become more mature and accepting. No use in stalling it.

I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast