Thread: A Flicker of Light - Volbeat RMT

Default Hyper Offensive Volbeat RMT

I'd like to share this original concept I've been using on Pokémon Online and ask for any suggestions for improvement.

Spoiler:- The Team:

BRIEF CONCEPT
    The premise of this team involves Volbeat passing a Tail Glow to Alakazam and then crucifying the opposition. Azelf sets up dual screens and Gorebyss/Jirachi/Thundurus-T provide alternative sweeping options, either to receive a Tail Glow from Volbeat or set up themselves with their own resources.

HISTORY
    The basis of this team came from a Smogon RMT by pimpinberto named 'Fireflies and empty skies' back in March 22 [feel free to look it up], although I haven't seen it anywhere else since. I originally copied this team move for move, but found the original main sweeper, Gengar, was lacking in terms of power and speed, so I thought why not try Alakazam. I didn't even consider Magic Guard at the time, but when I discovered it and added focus sash, I knew I'd found a viable strategy. I wasn't convinced with the other team members either, they didn't seem to capitalise fully on Tail Glow, and was lacking a plan B if Alakazam failed [other than Latios]. The first version of this team involved a defensive core of Heatran, Slowbro and Amoonguss, though I later removed these stall elements and moved towards hyper offense.

WEAKNESSES
    1. Priority moves i.e. Bullet Punch/Ice Shard can ruin a potential sweep.
    2. Focus sash, sturdy, or even if the opponent survives a hit, again, a sweep can be ruined.
    3. Volbeat/Azelf are taunt-weak.
    4. Volbeat can sometimes be a pain to set up with (considering his low defences).

Thanks for reading, I appreciate all feedback and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about it.

CREDITS
    - Pokemon Elite 2000 website for the animated gifs
    - Pimpinberto (Smogon) for the idea
    - Lunar (Smogon) for the Hyper Offensive revamp (including the addition of Gorebyss and Azelf)
    - Blue Harvest for major improvements (including the addition of Jirachi)

Spoiler:- Importable:
    Last edited by Jinvaani; 18th September 2012 at 5:27 PM.

I love this team I like the team work and the volbeat just turns everything on

Nice looking team revenge. My first note is your Zam set. Use Energy Ball over Shadow Ball. This lets am hit Gastrodon, Quasire and the odd Swampert hard, and will see more use that Shadow Ball. Also after Tail Glow it allows you to make mincemeat of rain teams. Otherwise, I don't know enough about the pokemon involved to make suggestions.
    Take a moment to consider just how nothing nothing really is....If you understand this, then you just solved the universe.

The truth that each person...each soul...is a book. And when we lay our feelings out in the open...and we give them no name...and we give them no author....and we give them no description.....who will actually read them..........?"

Credit to Eevee for the amazing banner.
    Current fanfiction project: Pokemon: Absolution

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMuse View Post
    Nice looking team revenge. My first note is your Zam set. Use Energy Ball over Shadow Ball. This lets am hit Gastrodon, Quasire and the odd Swampert hard, and will see more use that Shadow Ball. Also after Tail Glow it allows you to make mincemeat of rain teams. Otherwise, I don't know enough about the pokemon involved to make suggestions.
    That does make a lot of sense, considering I have Hidden Power Fire to hurt Celebi anyway. Thanks!

The main problem with this team is that if your opponent is in any way remotely skilled they won't let you pass any more than one Tail Glow boost. This team will never succeed against a good player as a +3 Alakazam isn't going to sweep much without a speed boost. Consider just running Quiver Dance Baton Pass Venomoth instead, or Shell Smash BP Gorebyss. Both can give Alakazam speed, so it isn't walked all over by anything with a Choice Scarf.

It you want to make this team even more awesome at a slight cost of seriousness you can run Yanmega somewhere. +3 Yanmega will break apart basically everything it hits, and with Speed Boost it won't fear Choice Scarfers. Also it can run some bulk and Roost, enough that it won't fear priority moves as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    The main problem with this team is that if your opponent is in any way remotely skilled they won't let you pass any more than one Tail Glow boost. This team will never succeed against a good player as a +3 Alakazam isn't going to sweep much without a speed boost. Consider just running Quiver Dance Baton Pass Venomoth instead, or Shell Smash BP Gorebyss. Both can give Alakazam speed, so it isn't walked all over by anything with a Choice Scarf.

It you want to make this team even more awesome at a slight cost of seriousness you can run Yanmega somewhere. +3 Yanmega will break apart basically everything it hits, and with Speed Boost it won't fear Choice Scarfers. Also it can run some bulk and Roost, enough that it won't fear priority moves as much.
    I appreciate your honesty. I did take a look at using Shell Smash before and even though it works a lot better, I chose just to work with Volbeat instead, if only for slight originality. If I was to remove Volbeat, I might as well pack up and go home

and I can definitely see Yanmega working somewhere but it'd be tricky slotting him in... I don't want a 3x fire weakness but then again if I replace Amoonguss then I'd only have 1 wall [slowbro]. I could replace Zam, but Yanmega doesn't share the guaranteed focus sash, and Thundurus plays an amazing role as it is. If I want Yanmega [which I do], the team needs an overhaul. I'm a little stuck, but thanks for your help!

After testing this team a little, I must say, it's rather gimmicky when playing against advanced players. Things like LO Jolteon walks this team rather easily. You are also rather Mamoswine weak. So, the first suggestion would be Psyshock > Psychic on Alakazam. With Psyshock Alakazam can get past walls such as Blissey, something you said you strugle against. To remedy your problems with speedy and/or bulky threats, I found Ferrothorn to be quite the answer. While Spore from Amoonguss is nice, as well as Regenerator, I just find it not worth on your team. Also, Slowbro+Ferrothorn core works very well too ^^ Another, minnor and maybe gimmicky suggestion would be changing Slowbro's EV's to Timid | 142HP | 134 Def | 234 Spe. While this is really gimmicky, I found Scizor just easily revenging your Slowbro after a bit prior damage, since it outspeeds Standard Bulky Water set. While you lose a respectable amount of bulk, with Timid and 234 Spe EV's Slowbro can outspeed standard CB Scizor and KO it with Flamethrower after SR damage.
    That would be pretty much all, since as Blue Harvest said, it's rather hard to play with this team succesfully, simply because the lack of speed. However, changing it would actually ruin your current team, so please, consider testing these changes ^^
    ~Demist
    Changes
    Psyshock > Psychic on Alakazam
    Ferrothorn > Amoonguss
    Timid | 142HP | 134 Def | 234 Spe > Current spread on Slowbro

Spoiler:- Sets:
    Last edited by ashsinnoh; 13th September 2012 at 10:50 PM.
    Kawaii >3<
    >_<
    ^^
    -___-^
    (01:41:52) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 62/47119 [1391 points / 1016 battles]! Smogon server

(22:46:55) *** Your rank in Standard NU is 40/3980 [1206 points / 152 battles]!

Quote Originally Posted by ashsinnoh View Post
    After testing this team a little, I must say, it's rather gimmicky when playing against advanced players. Things like LO Jolteon walks this team rather easily. You are also rather Mamoswine weak. So, the first suggestion would be Psyshock > Psychic on Alakazam. With Psyshock Alakazam can get past walls such as Blissey, something you said you strugle against. To remedy your problems with speedy and/or bulky threats, I found Ferrothorn to be quite the answer. While Spore from Amoonguss is nice, as well as Regenerator, I just find it not worth on your team. Also, Slowbro+Ferrothorn core works very well too ^^ Another, minnor and maybe gimmicky suggestion would be changing Slowbro's EV's to Timid | 142HP | 134 Def | 234 Spe. While this is really gimmicky, I found Scizor just easily revenging your Slowbro after a bit prior damage, since it outspeeds Standard Bulky Water set. While you lose a respectable amount of bulk, with Timid and 234 Spe EV's Slowbro can outspeed standard CB Scizor and KO it with Flamethrower after SR damage.
    That would be pretty much all, since as Blue Harvest said, it's rather hard to play with this team succesfully, simply because the lack of speed. However, changing it would actually ruin your current team, so please, consider testing these changes ^^
    ~Demist
    Changes
    Psyshock > Psychic on Alakazam
    Ferrothorn > Amoonguss
    Timid | 142HP | 134 Def | 234 Spe > Current spread on Slowbro

Spoiler:- Sets:
    Thanks for taking the time out to help the team. I've taken the point about Psyshock on board, and changed that. With regards to the slowbro evs, I'm finding 142HP | 134 Def | 234 Spe a little too gimmicky, especially the speed, but you're right about the importance of outspeeding scizor. I'll be testing Ferrothorn, thank you for the suggestion, although dragons would be an absolute pain to deal with without Amoonguss (as if they weren't bad enough before). I'd just have to throw Volbeat in on a hopeful dragon dance, or if they choose to flat-out attack and kill me, bring in thundurus for a chance of revenge killing. If anyone else can see the value in adding Ferrothorn, please say so.

Much appreciated!

You have ZERO physical attackers. A good special wall will completely destroy you, like Blissey. Sure, Alakazam is running Psyshock, but they can just switch out Blissey/Chansey into say a scarfed Dark type or something that resists Psyshock. Scarf'd Hydreigon would be the most trouble I can see due to U-Turn. If you switch out, the special wall is back in. If you stay in, you have 1 HP. With the prevalence of priority, that's not a position you want to be in. SubPunching Golurk can outspeed and use Substitute, making it immune to both Toxic and Seismic Toss. It can then slam the blob with Iron Fist-boosted Focus Punch.

By the way, I recognize a lot of those nicknames. Are you in MR?
    Last edited by jeffdavid102; 17th September 2012 at 6:57 PM.

252 +6 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Victini (+Atk)Critical V-create vs 0 HP/0 -6 Def Dry Skin Paras (-Def) : 103470436.36% - 121729963.64% (Guaranteed OHKO)

You Don't Say? I had no idea that a Choice Band Adamant Victini with maximum attack EVs and IVs that was baton passed +6 in attack and Skill Swapped Pure Power OHKO's Hasty Dry Skin Lvl 1 Paras with no defense EVs or IVs and -6 in defense under sun with a critical hit V-Create.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdavid102 View Post
    You have ZERO physical attackers. A good special wall will completely destroy you, like Blissey. Sure, Alakazam is running Psyshock, but they can just switch out Blissey/Chansey into say a scarfed Dark type or something that resists Psyshock. Scarf'd Hydreigon would be the most trouble I can see due to U-Turn. If you switch out, the special wall is back in. If you stay in, you have 1 HP. With the prevalence of priority, that's not a position you want to be in. SubPunching Golurk can outspeed and use Substitute, making it immune to both Toxic and Seismic Toss. It can then slam the blob with Iron Fist-boosted Focus Punch.
    Thanks. I do recognise this problem, and I've considered ferrothorn > amoonguss (thanks to ashsinnoh) to power whip or set spikes up on her (she won't like switching in too often with those around). This Golurk idea sounds interesting, who do you suggest he replaces?

EDIT: I've revamped the team to hyper offense (Thanks Lunar). Keep the suggestions coming in, thank you.
    Last edited by Jinvaani; 17th September 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Run White Herb and Baton Pass > HP Grass on Gorebyss. The point of running Gorebyss is never to sweep, it's far too slow even after a Shell Smash.

Gorebyss @ White Herb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 HP / 112 SDef / 144 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Baton Pass
    - Shell Smash
    - Substitute / Ice Beam

This runs enough bulk to survive most hits, including Rotom Volt Switch and Terrakion Close Combat. Try to set up on something that can't hurt you like Politoed or Ninetales and use your bulk to prevent the revenge killer from actually beating you. Even without investment Surf will still demolish most Roar / Whirlwind Pokes like Hippowdon, Skarmory, and Heatran.

Look into running Expert Belt Jirachi over Dragonite. Jirachi makes better use of Shell Smash than Dragonite, resists Stealth Rock, and has enough coverage and power to wipe most teams out after a Shell Smash Baton Pass.

Jirachi @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 216 Atk / 184 SAtk / 108 Spd
    Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
    - Iron Head
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Drain Punch / Fire Punch

Speed outruns Choice Scarf Latios at +2, which is the fastest thing you will ever see barring Hasty Venusaur (which no one really uses) as well as beating Gyarados and Dragonite at +0. Iron Head + Boltbeam coverage OHKOs a massive chunk of OU after Stealth Rocks damage. Even if the opponent is bulky like Reuniclus or Conkledurr and survives, they will get flinched to death by Iron Head. The last slot is up to you. Drain Punch OHKOs Heatran after Stealth Rocks and allows Jirachi to last a while but Fire Punch breaks through Scizor. Lum Berry makes sure the random Ferrothorn or Chansey that is 2HKOed can't Thunder Wave you, and protects you from getting Scald burned upon the Baton Pass. Jirachi can also sweep with a Tail Glow boost!

Run White Herb and Baton Pass > HP Grass on Gorebyss. The point of running Gorebyss is never to sweep, it's far too slow even after a Shell Smash.

Gorebyss @ White Herb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 HP / 112 SDef / 144 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Baton Pass
    - Shell Smash
    - Substitute / Ice Beam

This runs enough bulk to survive most hits, including Rotom Volt Switch and Terrakion Close Combat. Try to set up on something that can't hurt you like Politoed or Ninetales and use your bulk to prevent the revenge killer from actually beating you. Even without investment Surf will still demolish most Roar / Whirlwind Pokes like Hippowdon, Skarmory, and Heatran.

Look into running Expert Belt Jirachi over Dragonite. Jirachi makes better use of Shell Smash than Dragonite, resists Stealth Rock, and has enough coverage and power to wipe most teams out after a Shell Smash Baton Pass.

Jirachi @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 216 Atk / 184 SAtk / 108 Spd
    Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
    - Iron Head
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Drain Punch / Fire Punch

Speed outruns Choice Scarf Latios at +2, which is the fastest thing you will ever see barring Hasty Venusaur (which no one really uses) as well as beating Gyarados and Dragonite at +0. Iron Head + Boltbeam coverage OHKOs a massive chunk of OU after Stealth Rocks damage. Even if the opponent is bulky like Reuniclus or Conkledurr and survives, they will get flinched to death by Iron Head. The last slot is up to you. Drain Punch OHKOs Heatran after Stealth Rocks and allows Jirachi to last a while but Fire Punch breaks through Scizor. Lum Berry makes sure the random Ferrothorn or Chansey that is 2HKOed can't Thunder Wave you, and protects you from getting Scald burned upon the Baton Pass. Jirachi can also sweep with a Tail Glow boost!
    Thank you for all of your insight into improving the team, I've made the changes and Jirachi is doing amazingly well [I thought nothing would ever top dragonite], especially with Iron Head's insane flinch rate - it's nice to be on the other end for a change. White herb is pretty logical, not sure why I didn't spot that myself.

Thanks again!

No problem

Oh hey what are you running Energy Ball on Alakazam for? Seems like Shadow Ball might be more useful. These are the things in OU it hits Super-effective...

Cloyster, Donphan, Dugtrio, Gastrodon, Hippowdon, Jellicent, Keldeo, Mamoswine, Politoed, Rotom W, Starmie, Terrakion, Tyranitar, and Vaporeon.

Cloyster is OHKOed by +2 Shadow Ball or +0 Focus Blast.

Donphan is OHKOed by +2 Focus Blast.

Dugtrio is OHKOed by anything.

Gastrodon is OHKOed by +2 Psyshock.

Hippowdon admittedly is OHKOed by Energy Ball!

Jellicent is OHKOed by +2 Psyshock after rocks and takes the same damage from Shadow Ball.

Keldeo is OHKOed by Psyshock.

Mamoswine is OHKOed by +2 Psyshock.

Politoed is OHKOed by +2 Psyshock unless it's physically defensive. Energy Ball does not always OHKO.

Rotom W is OHKOed by +2 Psyshock.

Starmie is OHKOed by +2 Shadow Ball.

Terrakion is OHKOed by +2 Psyshock.

Tyranitar is OHKOed by +2 Focus Blast. Energy Ball isn't even close to a OHKO.

Veporeon is 2HKOed by +2 Psyshock and Energy Ball.

Shadow Ball will give you a better way to get around Alakazam (though +2 Psyshock will OHKO), Celebi (especially in Rain), Deoxys-D, Espeon, Latias, Latios, Mew, and Reuniclus. You do as well or better against basically everything except Hippowdon, who you still 2HKO and isn't even that common.

No problem

Oh hey what are you running Energy Ball on Alakazam for? Seems like Shadow Ball might be more useful. These are the things in OU it hits Super-effective...

Cloyster, Donphan, Dugtrio, Gastrodon, Hippowdon, Jellicent, Keldeo, Mamoswine, Politoed, Rotom W, Starmie, Terrakion, Tyranitar, and Vaporeon.

Cloyster is OHKOed by +2 Shadow Ball or +0 Focus Blast.

Donphan is OHKOed by +2 Focus Blast.

Dugtrio is OHKOed by anything.

Gastrodon is OHKOed by +2 Psyshock.

Hippowdon admittedly is OHKOed by Energy Ball!

Jellicent is OHKOed by +2 Psyshock after rocks and takes the same damage from Shadow Ball.

Keldeo is OHKOed by Psyshock.

Mamoswine is OHKOed by +2 Psyshock.

Politoed is OHKOed by +2 Psyshock unless it's physically defensive. Energy Ball does not always OHKO.

Rotom W is OHKOed by +2 Psyshock.

Starmie is OHKOed by +2 Shadow Ball.

Terrakion is OHKOed by +2 Psyshock.

Tyranitar is OHKOed by +2 Focus Blast. Energy Ball isn't even close to a OHKO.

Veporeon is 2HKOed by +2 Psyshock and Energy Ball.

Shadow Ball will give you a better way to get around Alakazam (though +2 Psyshock will OHKO), Celebi (especially in Rain), Deoxys-D, Espeon, Latias, Latios, Mew, and Reuniclus. You do as well or better against basically everything except Hippowdon, who you still 2HKO and isn't even that common.
    I'll refer you to my friend SoulMuse for the Energy Ball suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by SoulMuse View Post
    My first note is your Zam set. Use Energy Ball over Shadow Ball. This lets am hit Gastrodon, Quasire and the odd Swampert hard, and will see more use that Shadow Ball. Also after Tail Glow it allows you to make mincemeat of rain teams.
    But you've put up a convincing argument... I concede defeat