Page 35 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity (March 24th 2013)

Just downloaded the demo and, similar to the game Okami, there is a lot of dialogue bit it is fun. Can't wait to get it!

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

I'm grinding the Magnagate dungeons for items in preparation for the game release. Lady Luck has smiled upon me so far and gave me a Calcium, Reviver Seed, TM Embargo, a Pass Scarf, and enough money to buy TM Rock Tomb and TM Aerial Ace.

My only TM is rock smash....

Maybe I'll get lucky, and get a Leaf storm or solarbeam TM in the magnagates, like how I obtained Thoron (End of game spell) in the prologue of fire emblem awakening on my first playthrough.

Hmm, wanna play the demo extra dungeons to get my fix, but not sure if it'd be too easy starting with a huge stockpile.

Mixed feelings about the lack of hunger. On one hand, it wasn't too bad, since it did refill if you ended up having to use a reviver. On the other, aww, no fun like in Mount Horn (but bite, bug bite everywhere!)
    Autumn Friendly: 18-4 4 RQ, 1657, 578th place
    International challenge: 16-2 7 RQ 1634
    Spring friendly: 18-0 1721, 173rd

4527 7711 4773 is my 3ds FC,
    Don't have any room for random safari requests :/ Friends list is full as is.

While I initially wasn't too keen on having to use only the same three Pokemon for the magnagate dungeons, I've started to like it, since it forces me to strategize using seeds and orbs to survive the boss fights at the end, rather then brute force.

On a related note, all of the boss fights in this PMD, story ones included, allow orbs to be used unlike the previous games where they'd just fail. I imagine that'll make things a lot easier, considering you've got orbs that do things like provide the whole party with a massive attack or evasion increase.

I am nervous as all heck about this game. From what I've gathered...

Pros:
    -Better Attack System
    -Better Graphics
    -No Starter Quiz
    -Story Sounds On-Par With Previous Titles
    -Move Leveling

Cons:
    -Disgustingly Small Pokemon Variety
    -All Starters Are Standard "Anime-Favs"
    -No More Hunger/IQ
    -Paid DLC
    -Painfully Slow Text Speed
    -Can't Recruit Legendaries
    -"Call Me Maybe" Joke

Explorers of Sky is one of my favorite games of all-time, and the more things I see different about this game, the more against it I feel. I'll end up trying it eventually, regardless, but until it proves me otherwise, my concerns stay where they are.

I feel like all the game is, so far, is a simplification. The less Pokemon may be a direct result of the graphics, but I don't think the choices are accidental. Every Pokemon in the game, as far as I can tell, has a Body Size of 1. The exceptions are the Legendary boss battles, the Legendaries themselves, of which, cannot be recruited. Then we have the simplified dungeon mechanics (the no hunger one really irks me), and a simplified move interface (which is a plus for me). I'm afraid this will also lead to less gameplay time, as well as less difficulty. It may end up being a great game on its own right, and I sincerely hope it is, but I can see no way it can live up to Explorers going as it is...
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

Aside from the low number of Pokemon, it's added more to the game then it's taken away.

Removing IQ is actually an improvement, because it makes it easier to use different Pokemon, due to the replacement of team skills applying to your entire roster.

Hunger is still in effect in the only places it actually mattered in, which are the lengthy postgame dungeons.

I don't see what the big issue about paid DLC is, since all of it is either to provide you with conveniences or a challenge.

My problem with DLC is only when it's being made alongside the game to be DLC. There is no reason, if they're done by the time the game is, to make us pay for it. I'm fine with, say, a company finishing a game, and maybe after a few months deciding to spend the time to make more content for the game. Day 1 DLC, or even first month DLC, is just downright greedy and unfair to the paying public. Even then, I'd be okay with the DLC existing if it was just convenience for the lazier individuals who want the easy way out (assuming the game's non-competitive, of course), but what concerns me is that you said the DLC is for challenge. Challenge is one of the top reasons I love the PMD games. I'm hopeful that this one will still be forcing me to restart story missions 10+ times and pushing me to my limit, I'm just terrified that a lot of the good challenges will, in fact, have to be paid for, and no longer part of the experience.

That ties back to my "simplification" argument. Ignoring the Pokemon roster, I agree that they added more than they cut. However, I feel the things that they cut are things that added to the challenge. I'm not sure if anyone else had this, but I've, personally, managed to die from starvation on plenty of story dungeons. I love the extra preparation that the hunger system provides the games, making me ration out my backpack and bank slots more efficiently. As for IQ, I did see its replacement, but what was once an RPG element is now an additional treasure hunt. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but it's my personal preference to have to do more grinding than exploration. Again, my preference.

That's basically what it boils down to for me. For Pokemon games, the previous PMD games have been fairly complex and unforgivingly difficult, and that's what drew me in. The DLC and horrible roster are the two things I'm legitimately mad about, but the game's difficulty being shut down is currently my biggest concern. I can deal with fewer Pokemon and not having all of the deserved content, but if the challenge is gone, then this game is a major no-sell for me, at least not until I can find it used for cheap a few years down the road.

What'll do it for me is if anyone who's imported the game, or otherwise managed to play the whole game, can confirm that it is, indeed, still a solid 20+ hour storyline, a substantial postgame, and still excruciatingly hard.
    My Shinies:

The first DLC dungeon is free though...

According to Serebii, yes, this is a pretty long game.

From what I've seen, there's not as many Post-Game dungeons as explorers, but there's still quite a few. So yeah, the main story is at least as long as the other PMDs.

Is it as hard? Considering the difficulty of the previous PMDs was just because of the attacks being deadlier than the main series and 99-floor dungeons, yes.

And I really don't see why hunger not being as important is an issue. I personally hated it, it just forced you to waste most of your inventory space with apples so you don't die from hunger. Neither with DLC, since they don't force you to buy it or anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshi View Post
    According to Serebii, yes, this is a pretty long game.

From what I've seen, there's not as many Post-Game dungeons as explorers, but there's still quite a few. So yeah, the main story is at least as long as the other PMDs.

Is it as hard? Considering the difficulty of the previous PMDs was just because of the attacks being deadlier than the main series and 99-floor dungeons, yes.

And I really don't see why hunger not being as important is an issue. I personally hated it, it just forced you to waste most of your inventory space with apples so you don't die from hunger. Neither with DLC, since they don't force you to buy it or anything...
    I couldn't find anything on the main site referring to the game's length, but I'm willing to trust a fellow fan on this. Post-game dungeons, for me, were all about collecting the Legendary Pokemon that were in them, so a smaller post-game makes sense. As for hunger, I can acknowledge that the people for and against it are split, but it was a pro for me.

Finally, about the DLC, while it's true that they don't force you to buy it, my concern is that there are dungeons that should have been in the game already that they'd want us to pay money for. I have the right to not buy them, true, but then I will have a game, that I paid full price for, that I don't even own completely. Again, I'm fine with DLC being created and added on later if it adds something important to the game that wasn't part of the original experience, but I cannot be more against cutting content out of the game to be sold as DLC.

All that aside, I can see that I'm in the minority here. Plenty of my fellow PMD fans seem to not share my concerns for the game, and while I don't understand why not, I still have to admit that I seem to stand alone here. Assuming you all loved Explorers of Sky as much as I did, and still have no quarrels with the apparent simplification that Gates to Infinity has, then it may well be worth trusting my fellow fans on this one. I've been wrong about games before.
    My Shinies:

According to information on the main site, you don't even need the DLC dungeons to recruit extra starters at all. They are in the main game, but somewhat difficult to get to. This goes back to that paying for laziness thing from earlier.

Is it possible to find the picture sprites to each Pokemon anywhere?

I really want the Gen 5 pictures of Oshawott, Snivy, Excadrill, Emolga, Krookodile and Zoroark.

Oh wow. One of the demo's Magnagate dungeons gave me a Joy Ribbon. That's a spectacular find!

I think a Pass Scarf was the nicest thing I got so far, considering that it can normally only be found in the postgame dungeons. That kind of makes me wonder if the other high grade hold items like the Pierce Band and X-ray Specs can be obtained from the magnagate dungeons (Though I probably shouldn't get TOO carried away with the item farming, lest I trivialize the storyline when I get the full game).

Apparently, you can get TMs from some of the dungeons as rewards, so I think I'll keep playing until I get some of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post
    I couldn't find anything on the main site referring to the game's length, but I'm willing to trust a fellow fan on this. Post-game dungeons, for me, were all about collecting the Legendary Pokemon that were in them, so a smaller post-game makes sense. As for hunger, I can acknowledge that the people for and against it are split, but it was a pro for me.

[BI'm pretty annoyed with no special Legends and Hunger (except in Infinite Dungeon and other likewise)][/B]

Finally, about the DLC, while it's true that they don't force you to buy it, my concern is that there are dungeons that should have been in the game already that they'd want us to pay money for. I have the right to not buy them, true, but then I will have a game, that I paid full price for, that I don't even own completely. Again, I'm fine with DLC being created and added on later if it adds something important to the game that wasn't part of the original experience, but I cannot be more against cutting content out of the game to be sold as DLC.

I would like the DLC too... But most dungeons are pretty much just repeats, easier, or harder versions of already existing versions. Except Donut Road or whatever, which is the only place where you can get Donuts (just like Bananas, except they don't sell well).

All that aside, I can see that I'm in the minority here. Plenty of my fellow PMD fans seem to not share my concerns for the game, and while I don't understand why not, I still have to admit that I seem to stand alone here. Assuming you all loved Explorers of Sky as much as I did, and still have no quarrels with the apparent simplification that Gates to Infinity has, then it may well be worth trusting my fellow fans on this one. I've been wrong about games before.
    Eh. Asnwers bolded.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    I think a Pass Scarf was the nicest thing I got so far, considering that it can normally only be found in the postgame dungeons. That kind of makes me wonder if the other high grade hold items like the Pierce Band and X-ray Specs can be obtained from the magnagate dungeons (Though I probably shouldn't get TOO carried away with the item farming, lest I trivialize the storyline when I get the full game).

Apparently, you can get TMs from some of the dungeons as rewards, so I think I'll keep playing until I get some of those.
    I got all of those you said, along with Struggle Bug, right when I was going to buy it in the shop <_<

I actually got like 3 Pass Scarves in a row.

I would've expected they'd wait until you got the tougher magnagates where you get to use fully evolved starters before they started handing out the best hold items.

The difficulty rating on them goes all the way up to 12 stars, but as far as I've noticed, all of the ones I've gotten in the demo were only three stars.

At least they're letting us stock up on supplies before the main game comes out. It's a shame that we can't do a sort of "New Game+" with the demo to also grind our personal Pokemon too... but I guess that might be asking for a bit much.

They probably will have some even better stuff for the higher ranked Magnagates, or at the very least have the better items be more common.
    My Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    I would've expected they'd wait until you got the tougher magnagates where you get to use fully evolved starters before they started handing out the best hold items.

The difficulty rating on them goes all the way up to 12 stars, but as far as I've noticed, all of the ones I've gotten in the demo were only three stars.
    I got a 4☆, 13 floor dungeon. It wasn't easy considering I was struggling to find a Max Elixir by the 7th floor.

I got a four star dungeon once... And got lots of stair orbs from it

Just got a 4-Star dungeon, myself. Only six floors, though...

Also, I found something new to complain about. My partners seem to insist on moving towards enemy Pokemon, instead of staying with me. I hope there's a Team Skill, or whatever, that fixes this...
    My Shinies:

For whatever reason, you can't access the strategy menu in the demo, which is where you can tell them to only attack enemies that are within range instead of moving to engage them.

Ah, well thank goodness that's going to be an option, at least.

I confess, I may have judged the game too quickly. My first impressions of the demo were very poor, but I'm having fun with this Magnagate feature. I'm still not wholly convinced it'll live up to Explorers, but it's slowly becoming a buy in my book, regardless.
    My Shinies:

Not having tactics in the Magnagates is annoying me aswell. Otherwise I am really enjoying the demo. So far, from the Magnagates, I have gotten; $ 12,000, 2 Pass Scarfs, 2 Detect Scarfs, a Choice Scarf, something that is the opposite of the Choice Scarf, 2 Reviver Seeds, More orbs than I care to count, and about 9 hours and counting.

Ok so I just noticed something in Serebiis dungeon listings- it says that all DLC is only accessible AFTER the story is completed? Is this true? If so, I guess I wont be wasting 2 bucks to get my Deino early on.
    3DS Friend Code:
    1590-4688-8478
    Add me for Friend Safari!
    Send a PM with your Friend Code to confirm!

Page 35 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast