Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1439

Thread: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity (March 24th 2013)

  1. #1151
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Unova
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Guy View Post
        Spoiler:- ...:


    Not sure if I'll get this game yet...
        Spoiler:- Spoiler:

  2. #1152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cometstarlight View Post
    This is why Gates to Infinity irritates me. They don't include anywhere near close to all the pokemon, you can't recruit all the legendaries, they took out a lot of the good stuff from Explorers of Time/Darkness that compelled me to play it. It just feels dumbed-down.
    Snap didn't include them all, and neither did Conquest or Ranger. Yet those are good games, what's wrong with PMD dping the same thing?

    And I think that the no recruit legendaries is a good thing... If you leveled them to 100 in TDS They get EXTREMELY Overpowered.

  3. #1153
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Whats that? Can you eat it?
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkmbl View Post
    Snap didn't include them all, and neither did Conquest or Ranger. Yet those are good games, what's wrong with PMD dping the same thing?

    And I think that the no recruit legendaries is a good thing... If you leveled them to 100 in TDS They get EXTREMELY Overpowered.
    The issue, really, is all about choice and scale of the world.

    In snap, you were on a special island taking pictures of the inhabitants. This wasn't some miracle island that housed every single pokemon. Besides, this comparison is kinda unfair. They had 63 'mons in snap, a la 43% of every pokemon at the time. If we got ONLY 43% of the possible pokemon in GtI, we'd have a whopping 280 pokemon - nearly twice that of the game. How about Pokemon Snap that had a mere 30 pokemon in it?

    Conquest, as an island, was much larger had much more diversity. While it had far less pokemon - only around 200 - it fit the theme of the game. There were only a limited number of people who had the ability to communicate with a limited number of pokemon.

    Ranger (the third one) had 307 pokemon, and this was before the release of Black and White.

    The first issue with GtI is that, and let's face it, 144 is a drop in the bucket. But the greater issue is that this is THE "Pokemon World." You're telling me in the world of pokemon, only 20% of them are readily found? Each pokemon is a unique species, and therefore, a potential unique character. When you let a player assume direct control of a pokemon, but refuse them a good 80% of all potential playable characters, that's a HUGE deal. And for the love of Arceus, of course legendaries are overpowered if you level them to 100. What did you bloody expect? A God of Time to not be able to slip-stream-mode himself? A God of Space to not be able to transverse every known matter, unhindered? They are legendaries for a reason, and if you manage to recruit them, then power to you. You can't refuse players the ability to play a certain way just because YOU found it that it cheapened the game to play as overpowered bonus characters and not as yourself.

  4. #1154
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Personally, I wouldn't have even given the small Pokemon roster a second thought if not for one thing: the previous PMD games featured the entire roster. That's the main issue with this game, that content-wise it is significantly smaller than the previous games. That is not an opinion statement, either. The game has:

    -Less Dungeons
    -Less Pokemon
    -A Much Shorter Main Story
    -SIGNIFICANTLY Smaller, Almost Nonexistent, Post-Story

    All of the above are factual statements, not opinions. That's one of my many problems with the game, that it is undeniably a smaller game. It is then my opinion that the game is a step backwards for the franchise, for these and many other reasons.

    As I've been stating, though, I do still think it's a good game. Having finally beaten it, and taken a day to mull it over, I give the game a solid 73%, 7.3/10, however you want to word it, but the simple fact of the matter is: excluding the WiiWare pieces of crap, Gates to Infinity is easily the smallest of the PMD games.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

  5. #1155
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Whats that? Can you eat it?
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't have even given the small Pokemon roster a second thought if not for one thing: the previous PMD games featured the entire roster. That's the main issue with this game, that content-wise it is significantly smaller than the previous games. That is not an opinion statement, either. The game has:

    -Less Dungeons
    -Less Pokemon
    -A Much Shorter Main Story
    -SIGNIFICANTLY Smaller, Almost Nonexistent, Post-Story

    All of the above are factual statements, not opinions. That's one of my many problems with the game, that it is undeniably a smaller game. It is then my opinion that the game is a step backwards for the franchise, for these and many other reasons.

    As I've been stating, though, I do still think it's a good game. Having finally beaten it, and taken a day to mull it over, I give the game a solid 73%, 7.3/10, however you want to word it, but the simple fact of the matter is: excluding the WiiWare pieces of crap, Gates to Infinity is easily the smallest of the PMD games.
    The WiiWare games don't exist. They are as real as Other M in my eyes. =P

    So, I evolved my starters, and now the fact that they don't sleep at night, while nitpicky, is driving me bloody insane. THEY HAVE SLEEPING ANIMATIONS FOR WHEN THEY GET HIT MY SLEEP MOVES OR TRAPS. It couldn't have been THAT hard to just.....AARRRGGGGGGGGGGGG. *breaks*

    Also, lol@Serperior's moving animation. The poor thing is going to get whiplash going around town at those speeds. At least it looks fairly natural and snake-like in dungeons...just not in town.

  6. #1156
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shiny charizard master View Post
    The WiiWare games don't exist. They are as real as Other M in my eyes. =P

    So, I evolved my starters, and now the fact that they don't sleep at night, while nitpicky, is driving me bloody insane. THEY HAVE SLEEPING ANIMATIONS FOR WHEN THEY GET HIT MY SLEEP MOVES OR TRAPS. It couldn't have been THAT hard to just.....AARRRGGGGGGGGGGGG. *breaks*

    Also, lol@Serperior's moving animation. The poor thing is going to get whiplash going around town at those speeds. At least it looks fairly natural and snake-like in dungeons...just not in town.
    yeah i actually don't like this either, i was gonna keep them at their second stages (servine and dewott) to make it seem weird. But the sleeping thing is such an annoyance, they've done this in every game, i dont understand whats so hard about giving them sleeping animations...they gave a random toxicroak a unique sleeping animation! With all the things they did with this game, as far as animations go, the fact that they could obviously have fixed this, and didn't, annoys me.
    Friends are family you choose

  7. #1157
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Outside of Hawaii (I wish...)
    Posts
    7,762

    Default

    The main story of GtI actually has almost the exact same number of mandatory dungeons as Explorers did.

    I personally think it felt longer mainly because how slow the story's pacing is up until the future arc.

  8. #1158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shiny charizard master View Post
    The issue, really, is all about choice and scale of the world.

    In snap, you were on a special island taking pictures of the inhabitants. This wasn't some miracle island that housed every single pokemon. Besides, this comparison is kinda unfair. They had 63 'mons in snap, a la 43% of every pokemon at the time. If we got ONLY 43% of the possible pokemon in GtI, we'd have a whopping 280 pokemon - nearly twice that of the game. How about Pokemon Snap that had a mere 30 pokemon in it?

    Conquest, as an island, was much larger had much more diversity. While it had far less pokemon - only around 200 - it fit the theme of the game. There were only a limited number of people who had the ability to communicate with a limited number of pokemon.

    Ranger (the third one) had 307 pokemon, and this was before the release of Black and White.

    The first issue with GtI is that, and let's face it, 144 is a drop in the bucket. But the greater issue is that this is THE "Pokemon World." You're telling me in the world of pokemon, only 20% of them are readily found? Each pokemon is a unique species, and therefore, a potential unique character. When you let a player assume direct control of a pokemon, but refuse them a good 80% of all potential playable characters, that's a HUGE deal. And for the love of Arceus, of course legendaries are overpowered if you level them to 100. What did you bloody expect? A God of Time to not be able to slip-stream-mode himself? A God of Space to not be able to transverse every known matter, unhindered? They are legendaries for a reason, and if you manage to recruit them, then power to you. You can't refuse players the ability to play a certain way just because YOU found it that it cheapened the game to play as overpowered bonus characters and not as yourself.
    Still, it's not a disaster. Blame the wiiware titles for the lack of pokemon... They were panned because there was TOO many of them, and 649 would make it a nightmare.

    Ys II is a example of a amazing game with little variety. All monsters you fight are almost the same, but the game is still one of the best in the world. What I'm saying is that PMD GTI's "faults" are actually pros to some people. Which is why I gave it a 10 out of 10 in my review on a website

  9. #1159
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkmbl View Post
    What I'm saying is that PMD GTI's "faults" are actually pros to some people.
    While I disagree with you heavily on what the game's pros and cons are, I do have to confess to this being the case. However, I'm still yet to see any argument to convince me that having an overall smaller game is a good thing, be it in Pokemon count, dungeon count, or dungeon sizes.

    Let me see if I can get a basic list going.

    You'll Prefer Gates to Infinity If:
    - Improved Graphics Can Make a Game
    - You'd Prefer Customizing Your Base Over Customizing Your Team
    - You Hated The UI In Previous Games
    - You Never Touch The Endgame in RPGs
    - You Prefer Games With Less Content
    - You Found The Previous Games Too Hard

    You'll Prefer Explorers of Sky If:
    - You Prefer Sprite-Based Graphics
    - You Like To Customize Your Team Moreso Than Your Home Base
    - You Prefer Games To Have More Content
    - You Adamantly Play RPGs After The Credits Roll
    - You Enjoy Difficulty In Games
    - You Feel Satisfaction From Grinding

    This is, to the best of my knowledge, the basis of the major issues that divide the fanbase. Does either side take offense to this list?
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

  10. #1160
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Whats that? Can you eat it?
    Posts
    1,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkmbl View Post
    Still, it's not a disaster. Blame the wiiware titles for the lack of pokemon... They were panned because there was TOO many of them, and 649 would make it a nightmare.

    Ys II is a example of a amazing game with little variety. All monsters you fight are almost the same, but the game is still one of the best in the world. What I'm saying is that PMD GTI's "faults" are actually pros to some people. Which is why I gave it a 10 out of 10 in my review on a website
    I don't quite see how they were panned for the number of playable pokemon, when the issues of the game (at least for me) ranged from the usage of those stupid egg-mon graphics, the TERRIBLE story, the 15 dungeons per version (although they were pretty much the same dungeon with an aesthetic change), the LACK of variety of playable starter pokemon per version (forced to all electric/ yellow pokemon, all water/ blue pokemon, and all fire/ red pokemon). I'm going to call you out on this so called "panning" and demand sources on that, I'm sorry to say.

    I don't think the YS comparison fits. At all. "I believe lack of variety in a game series based on the variety of fauna should be comparable to a game series that isn't about variety of fauna." I think I'm going to 1 up your comparison for you, since we're saying silly crap. "Borderlands 2 only has 3 major classes of enemies - robots, crazed humans, and fauna - therefore it is acceptable for Pokemon to have only 3 classes of pokemon."

  11. #1161
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    575

    Default

    I just remembered one thing that I absolutely HATED about the final boss. No spoilers.

    If you die to the final boss, you get a chance to restock supplies before trying again. Of course, I'm fine with this. I don't like how you don't need to go through a dungeon before trying again, because I feel that takes away from the incentive to stay alive. Still, for story reasons, it makes sense.

    BUT. If you die to the final boss, and have already damaged the boss some, the boss will NOT HEAL between encounters. If you took out half the boss's health in the first bout, that means that you get to immediately go back to fight it again, and it will still have half health. This took away any and all difficulty from the battle, and given that the previous boss was already a walk in the park, to find the final boss to be even easier was... infuriating.

    Primal Dialga took me days to beat. This game pretty much hands you the victory. For the ending to be so easy, even with me and my partner being only level 36 for these last two battles. The previous PMDs were infamous for their difficulty, and the fact that this game was so much easier was one of the biggest letdowns for me.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

  12. #1162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post
    While I disagree with you heavily on what the game's pros and cons are, I do have to confess to this being the case. However, I'm still yet to see any argument to convince me that having an overall smaller game is a good thing, be it in Pokemon count, dungeon count, or dungeon sizes.

    Let me see if I can get a basic list going.

    You'll Prefer Gates to Infinity If:
    - Improved Graphics Can Make a Game
    - You'd Prefer Customizing Your Base Over Customizing Your Team
    - You Hated The UI In Previous Games
    - You Never Touch The Endgame in RPGs
    - You Prefer Games With Less Content
    - You Found The Previous Games Too Hard

    You'll Prefer Explorers of Sky If:
    - You Prefer Sprite-Based Graphics
    - You Like To Customize Your Team Moreso Than Your Home Base
    - You Prefer Games To Have More Content
    - You Adamantly Play RPGs After The Credits Roll
    - You Enjoy Difficulty In Games
    - You Feel Satisfaction From Grinding

    This is, to the best of my knowledge, the basis of the major issues that divide the fanbase. Does either side take offense to this list?
    That list seems to sum it up well. If you like very long and lengthy games to 100%, get sky. If you want a short but sweet experience, get GTI

  13. #1163
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Outside of Hawaii (I wish...)
    Posts
    7,762

    Default

    I managed to get one of the special magnagate dungeons earlier.

    It was a 13 star difficulty one with 13 floors, and had Ho-Oh as the end boss instead of the usual mob of Pokemon. I'm honestly not sure how winning is even possible if you don't get extremely lucky with items you gather on the way to the boss, as they hit hard and have very high defenses (Double Chop was only doing 50 damage per hit with criticals and three levels of attack boosts). An All Protect Orb ended up letting me win without taking any damage, but I doubt I would've survived without it.

    The dungeon itself was packed with rare items like TMs and vitamins, but the clear rewards were totally lackluster. A previous standard 13 star dungeon yielded a nifty Heart Pendant as a reward, though (Raises max HP by 50 while held).

  14. #1164
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    The Well of Soles shoe store
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkmbl View Post
    That list seems to sum it up well. If you like very long and lengthy games to 100%, get sky. If you want a short but sweet experience, get GTI
    I more or less agree with this, though in terms of ability yo customize your team, it's sort of a mixed bag. By the time you beat the game on Gates, you'll have a whole lot of high-leveled Pokemon that you can freely switch between, while on time/darkness/sky, you'll probably be stuck using the hero and partner and just a couple of other Pokemon unless you feel like grinding a ton, but on the other hand, you DO have the option of grinding up new recruits, whereas in Gates, if there's a Pokemon found only in the earlier dungeons (or something found at level 5, like Oshawott), that you didn't recruit on your first playthrough, then you're pretty much out of luck unless you feel like doing a LOT of standing around by the stairs wearing a Joy Ribbon.
    3DS Friend Code: 1864 - 8413 - 3256

  15. #1165
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SE asia, Phiippines.
    Posts
    698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post
    While I disagree with you heavily on what the game's pros and cons are, I do have to confess to this being the case. However, I'm still yet to see any argument to convince me that having an overall smaller game is a good thing, be it in Pokemon count, dungeon count, or dungeon sizes.

    Let me see if I can get a basic list going.

    You'll Prefer Gates to Infinity If:
    - Improved Graphics Can Make a Game
    - You'd Prefer Customizing Your Base Over Customizing Your Team
    - You Hated The UI In Previous Games
    - You Never Touch The Endgame in RPGs
    - You Prefer Games With Less Content
    - You Found The Previous Games Too Hard

    You'll Prefer Explorers of Sky If:
    - You Prefer Sprite-Based Graphics
    - You Like To Customize Your Team Moreso Than Your Home Base
    - You Prefer Games To Have More Content
    - You Adamantly Play RPGs After The Credits Roll
    - You Enjoy Difficulty In Games
    - You Feel Satisfaction From Grinding

    This is, to the best of my knowledge, the basis of the major issues that divide the fanbase. Does either side take offense to this list?
    thanks for the heads up. In all honesty, I need to play both versions in order for me to understand the perspective of both Casual and Hardcore players some more.

    Basically the PMD series was the inspiration for the Video Game I'm creating right now. Try imagining yourself as a video game designer every now and then if possible, like in my case.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

  16. #1166

    Default

    I'm actually honestly considering moving to Japan to work with Spike chunsoft when I get older... I've admired them for a long time. I may also try a RPG maker attempt to make a fan sequel, as I REALLY do love this game more than any other I played

  17. #1167
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Moo Moo Farms
    Posts
    3,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post
    While I disagree with you heavily on what the game's pros and cons are, I do have to confess to this being the case. However, I'm still yet to see any argument to convince me that having an overall smaller game is a good thing, be it in Pokemon count, dungeon count, or dungeon sizes.

    Let me see if I can get a basic list going.

    You'll Prefer Gates to Infinity If:
    - Improved Graphics Can Make a Game
    - You'd Prefer Customizing Your Base Over Customizing Your Team
    - You Hated The UI In Previous Games
    - You Never Touch The Endgame in RPGs
    - You Prefer Games With Less Content
    - You Found The Previous Games Too Hard

    You'll Prefer Explorers of Sky If:
    - You Prefer Sprite-Based Graphics
    - You Like To Customize Your Team Moreso Than Your Home Base
    - You Prefer Games To Have More Content
    - You Adamantly Play RPGs After The Credits Roll
    - You Enjoy Difficulty In Games
    - You Feel Satisfaction From Grinding

    This is, to the best of my knowledge, the basis of the major issues that divide the fanbase. Does either side take offense to this list?
    Personally, i'd take Explorers of Sky with Gates to Infinity style graphics.

    and while i like the base customization, add enough shops and it makes the actual town almost useless.

    Only things i dont like about GTI is lack of starter pokemon and the 1 mission at a time, as ive said.

    I think the Only Post-game content ive ever done in PMD is the Evolution fight with the Guild in Time.

    Think im one of the Few that likes both GtI and Sky equally
    Last edited by Pikasaur; 31st March 2013 at 5:14 PM.

  18. #1168

    Default

    I've played both explorers of sky and GTI both thoroughly and while I do love the graphics and customizable paradise, I feel the sprite-based artwork in past PMD installmaents is what made the game so alive and mature, for some reason. Also I miss fighting groudon ;_;

  19. #1169
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pikasaur View Post
    Personally, i'd take Explorers of Sky with Gates to Infinity style graphics.
    I agree. I did start replaying Sky last night, and while I still find the gameplay to be better, I do find myself missing the full 3D. Granted, GTI's also really zoomed in, so you can't see as much of the floor, so let's add in a "with the option to zoom the camera out" to the list. Then let's add GTI's base customization and bam, we have a game that pleases everyone!
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

  20. #1170

    Default

    Am I the only one who

        Spoiler:- FINAL BOSS:

  21. #1171
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Outside of Hawaii (I wish...)
    Posts
    7,762

    Default

    Apparently, some Magnagate dungeons have a fixed clear reward.

    That is, it'll unfailingly give you a particular item every single time you complete it. The Sacred Dunes dungeon, for instance, always rewards you with one of those Heart Pendants I mentioned earlier whenever you finish it.

    I fully intend to do more Magnagates to see if there are any other cool items that can be farmed in this fashion (Dark or dragon devices would make me happy).

  22. #1172
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    50

    Default

    I just got GTI today, and am really enjoying it. But I don't like that 24 item maximum of items I can hold. When does that number expand?
    Got my copy of X!

  23. #1173
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Outside of Hawaii (I wish...)
    Posts
    7,762

    Default

    Each time you raise your paradise rank (Up to Platinum rank) you'll gain another page of inventory space, for a total of 48 item slots.

    EDIT: I managed to get the magnagate dungeons containing Lugia and Kyurem today. It was rather nice to have a proper rematch against the latter, since he's not a total pushover like he is the first time you fight him, thanks to his drastically increased stats and better moveset.
    Last edited by Rakurai; 1st April 2013 at 3:20 AM.

  24. #1174
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,798

    Default

    The next DLCs come out April 4th, right?
    I hope the Sweets DLC comes in the batch after this one.

  25. #1175
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    49

    Default

    can some one explain the clerk change upgrade you get?

Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •