View Poll Results: What is your favourite Fossil-pokémon?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Omanyte--Omastar (Rock/Water)

9 4.79%
  • Kabuto--Kabutops (Rock/Water)

29 15.43%
  • Aerodactyl (Rock/Flying)

35 18.62%
  • Lileep--Cradily (Rock/Grass)

22 11.70%
  • Anorith--Armaldo (Rock/Bug)

20 10.64%
  • Cranidos--Rampardos (Rock)

14 7.45%
  • Shieldon--Bastiodon (Rock/Steel)

7 3.72%
  • Tirtouga--Carracosta (Water/Rock)

24 12.77%
  • Archen--Archeops (Rock/Flying)

28 14.89%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fossil Pokémon

Default Fossil Pokémon

Thread for everything fossil-pokemon related!

Ever wondered how comes fossil Pokémon are always Rock type?

I found 3 theories:

---It was the most common type in ancient times.
    Perhaps most pokemon back then were Rock type, so most fossils happen to be too.

---Its a result of being fossilised & revived.
    Meaning that all these pokemon likely did not have the Rock typing when they were still alive, but gained it because their remains were enclosed by layers of rock since ancient times.

---They were well preserved because they are Rock
    Any other pokemon decays, but Rock pokemon, due to being mineral based organisms, or having rocky armor, don't.

Personally,
    The first one seems absurd to me, as I doubt the world was dominated by Rock pokemon long ago, it was probably simialrly diverse as it is now.
    The second might be the case, especially if gamefreak did not give it much thought and just went "these are fossil pokemon, lets make them Rock lol".
    But the only one really making sense to me is the third one.
    Gamefreak should give us some fossils of living pokemon, so we could see if they would only pick ones like Larvitar and Shuckle, to confirm that the rock-part is what prevents their DNA from getting damaged.

-Then there is an interesting pokemon, that was thought to be extinct too, but was recently discovered to still be alive, so it could be considered a pseudo-fossil. I'm talking about Relicanth of course. Should it count as a fossil pokemon? And is the Rock type there for the same reason as for fossil pokemon or is it merely coincidence that the living fossil happens to be part Rock too?

-Also, how comes Omanyte and Kabuto (Rock/Water) are more Rock-specialized than Tirtouga (Water/Rock) who is foremost a Water pokemon?
    Perhaps Tirtouga is just a turtle with a rocky shell, while the other two are more mienral based and their shells not just external armor?

-Which is your favourite fossil Pokemon and why?

-What kind of fossils would you like to see next?
    What kind of creature, what would their type be?
    Last edited by Mitja; 13th September 2012 at 3:34 PM.

Archeops. If combined with high speed stat and acrobatics, you can zoom through the opponents team.

My faves are more than one actually: Kabuto, Lileep, Archeops n Tirtouga.
    Simply b/c their shiny colors are green. But I choose Lileep. Simply b/c I've been hunting for its shiny.

I'd like to see Dark, Ghost or other types part Rock that are not available yet. Maybe based on Raptor or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

My favourite is Cranidos and Rampardos because they are pure Rock type(so they don't have 4x weaknesses),have good stats and movepool.Also their ability does not hinder thempoints at Archeops.But I have only used Cradily and am currently using a Tirtouga both in Black.Cradily helped a lot against Fire types in my grass Monotype and is a good Pokemon.Tirtouga has also been good but It's very slow which is it's main problem apart from 4x Grass weakness.
        Spoiler:- Completed and Current Playthroughs:

Why are Fossil Pokemon Rock Type: Maybe because fossils they're found within rocks? /insert boring lecture on how fossils are formed here, and the fossil Pokemon are revived from their rock remains. Unless the Pokemon that live in the present day existed in ancient times, then having a fossil of them is impossible.
    Look at water type Pokemon. They come from water = water type? Not too hard to figure out.

As for my favourite: Cradily. I don't even know why, I just love it. I spend most of my time drawing and labelling fossils and rocks, so whenever I see a fossil that a Pokemon is based off of, I have a sad inside voice squeee. The only one I don't like is Archeops, 'unno why.

"-Then there is an interesting pokemon, that was thought to be extinct too, but was recently discovered to still be alive, so it could be considered a pseudo-fossil. Should it count as a fossil pokemon? And is the Rock type there for the same reason as for fossil pokemon or is it merely coincidence that the living fossil happens to be part Rock too?" - Are you talking about Relicanth? The animal it's based off of is called a living fossil because it's gone through minimal evolutionary changes so it pretty much "preserved the species" much like fossils do.

"Also, how comes Omanyte and Kabuto (Rock/Water) are more Rock-specialized than Tirtouga (Water/Rock) who is foremost a Water pokemon?
    Perhaps Tirtouga is just a turtle with a rocky shell, while the other two are more mienral based and their shells not just external armor?" Possibly because they live on the seafloor? They don't swim (well, the animal they're based off of doesn't (well they think a few did, but I've not seen Kabuto swimming in the anime and I haven't seen Kabutops in the anime so idk about him) so they'd be more primarily rock type? Tirtouga swims though, so it'd be more adept at moving and controlling water than the sea floor Kabuto+friends.

-What kind of fossils would you like to see next?
    Hmm, maybe a Hallucigenia?
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...CsNlqNApI5RYAc
    Psychic/Rock type? Or Poison/Rock type? Dunno! =P
    Last edited by Flandre; 13th September 2012 at 3:22 PM.

Pokemon X: (Tam) 0860-4501-8564

Friend Safari: Spiritomb | Pumpkaboo | Shuppet

Shieldon! My one has taken down Lugia's, Latios' and also a Houndoom! Its a beast
    Sig deleted by Hydrohs. Read the sig rules.

Lileep and Cradily have always facinated me with their looks
    I always thought that their patterns were their eyes

Mercy
    Without understanding, it is merely an excuse
    for the weak to escape Judgement

Isn't Genesect said to have lived at the same time as these fossil Pokémon? Well... it's not a Rock-type in the least, unless it was and Plasma turned it into a Steel-type when they brought it back and added the cannon to it. *shrugs*

The theory about why they are Rock-type sounds the most accurate to me. It's not said that the cloning in the Pokémon universe is perfect, even with the best technology. I'm sure some of the fossilized remains transferred over a little in the rejuvenation, so that would explain the dual types, though it is also possible they were that way to begin with. Like with our own extinct animals, Pokémon were different in prehistoric eras, and they died out due to conditions of the earth changing, and thus weren't needed anymore. Still... interesting.

As for favorite... um... it's either the Omanyte family or the Lileep family. Mainly because the first evolution is adorable.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Adalricus View Post
    Lileep and Cradily have always facinated me with their looks
    I always thought that their patterns were their eyes
    That part where the real eyes on Lileep/Cradilly: on the real animal is actually it's bum,usually, haha.

This goes in Pokepolls...

So my favorite is Armaldo, because it looks badass :] and i usually chose pokemon based in design

however all the fossils have good points and are very usable in battle, Carracosta with shell smash is incredible, Archeops and Aerodactyl are beasts... I used swift swim Kabutops in a rain team and is very good... I haven't used 4th gen fossils, though...

My favourite is Kabutops, because it just looks bad-*** with those blades. Almost like an ancient version of Scyhter.

Of the theories, I find the second one the most plausible. Although they all have rock-like qualities integrated in their design, I don't think all of them would pass for Rock types, if they weren't fossil pokemon (Lileep and Archen lines plus Aerodactyl).
    Just another generic signature.

Quote Originally Posted by synthetica View Post
    My favourite is Kabutops, because it just looks bad-*** with those blades. Almost like an ancient version of Scyhter.

Of the theories, I find the second one the most plausible. Although they all have rock-like qualities integrated in their design, I don't think all of them would pass for Rock types, if they weren't fossil pokemon (Lileep and Archen lines plus Aerodactyl).
    Why Archen and Aerodactyl, but not Cranidos/Sheildon lines? :S

Quote Originally Posted by aloquesada View Post
    This goes in Pokepolls...
    Just because I decided to add a poll for fun after I finished making the first post???? I hope not, otherwise I would have never included it. Geez its really hard to make a thread that doesnt get closed regardless of them having a very quick and interesting discussion. wtf.

I'm a fan of Fossil Pokémon. As such, I tried to research on everything the main games say about them, and there're only very few things we know about them. I guess this mystery surrounding them and their rarity is what I like the most about them.

As for the theories, there's no evidence about any of them, but I always thought the second one was the most plausible one. At least it seems that way to me.

As for my favourite, it's really hard, since I like them all, but I voted for the Lileep/Cradily family. Kabutops and Archeops are definitely up there too. Overall, I'm happy that we've had a couple of new fossils every generation since Gen III, and I hope the trend continues in Gen VI.

BTW, my love for fossils extend to Relicanth, since they're described as a living fossils and they haven't changed it form in a hundred years, which is neat.
        Spoiler:- Signature: 3DS FC & in-game character:

I've come to really like Archeops as a Pokemon. It's ability can be a pain, but it is still a fun Pokemon to play with!
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ Why Alder is my favorite champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Flandre View Post
    Why Archen and Aerodactyl, but not Cranidos/Sheildon lines? :S
    I don't really know. It's just the impression I get by looking at their designs, there isn't much more to it, just my opinion.

Now that I think about it, I don't know what what type Cranidos line would be, if the rock part of fossil pokemon was dropped given they are pure rock types. Probably normal, with a small chance of fighting.

As for Shieldon line, I've always seen those "shields" on their head as made of stone.

But that's just my opinion.

Now that I think about it, I don't know what what type Cranidos line would be, if the rock part of fossil pokemon was dropped given they are pure rock types. Probably normal, with a small chance of fighting.
    Even Dark seems more plausible than Fighting, since its just hitting stuff with its head like a meany.

But eh, losing the Rock type makes no sense to me for anyone of them. Unless their designs changed too.

Id like to see a Rock/Electric T-rex with giant whatever those things on Electabuzz' head are, on its back.

And is it just me or is it weird that there is no Rock/Dragon fossil yet?

Quote Originally Posted by auteur View Post
    Overall, I'm happy that we've had a couple of new fossils every generation since Gen III, and I hope the trend continues in Gen VI.
    Sure, but I think we've had enough fossil duos. The only one that was not cookie-cutter fossil pokemon was Aerodactyl back in gen I.
    I wanna see them shake it up a bit. Release just one, or three. Or if they did two again, make one a single staged, and the other a 3 staged or something.. varying total stats, level of evo, perhaps some with evolving methods that arent by level etc... fossils have lots of stuff to do xD
    Last edited by Mitja; 13th September 2012 at 6:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    Even Dark seems more plausible than Fighting, since its just hitting stuff with its head like a meany.

But eh, losing the Rock type makes no sense to me for anyone of them. Unless their designs changed too.

Id like to see a Rock/Electric T-rex with giant whatever those things on Electabuzz' head are, on its back.

And is it just me or is it weird that there is no Rock/Dragon fossil yet?
    Well, it also gets some punching moves, but I see where you're coming from.

Anyway, I don't think they should lose their rock typing, I just think some of them only got it because they are fossil pokemon. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course. Except that it made my fossil run on HG (I was using only fossil pokemon) quite difficult when I was facing a bunch of water types in succession. No, I wasn't using Cradily.

I don't think the non-existance of fossil rock/dragons is weird. If they were to make one, it would probably overpower its counterpart, which Gamefreak will probably try to avoid. They could make it a standalone like Aerodactyl, but I think Gamefreak will stick to fossils coming in pairs.

I don't really know. It's just the impression I get by looking at their designs, there isn't much more to it, just my opinion.

As for Shieldon line, I've always seen those "shields" on their head as made of stone.

But that's just my opinion.

Well they're both based off of the same kind of creature (Dinosaur really, and Archen as the next step between Dinosaur and Birds, so they're really not that much different to Cranidos in terms of what they're based on.) I still think Rock seems the most common sense type for them all, since Dinosaurs don't really resemble any of the other types. they need a dinosaur type i think the nearest you could get to dinosaur is dragon type. But that'd be a bit too much. XD I'd have to go with Ground/Dragon for Cranidos/Rampy if he weren't rock type, or even just ground type.

@edit:; lol at the punching moves. I'd pay to see that. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6heDX0kqY7...tle+arms+2.jpg
    Last edited by Flandre; 13th September 2012 at 6:25 PM.

I like Aerodactyl and Archeops

Quote Originally Posted by Flandre View Post
    Well they're both based off of the same kind of creature (Dinosaur really, and Archen as the next step between Dinosaur and Birds, so they're really not that much different to Cranidos in terms of what they're based on.) I still think Rock seems the most common sense type for them all, since Dinosaurs don't really resemble any of the other types. they need a dinosaur type i think the nearest you could get to dinosaur is dragon type. But that'd be a bit too much. XD I'd have to go with Ground/Dragon for Cranidos/Rampy if he weren't rock type.

@edit:; lol at the punching moves. I'd pay to see that. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6heDX0kqY7...tle+arms+2.jpg

I know they are, but to me for some reason Cranidos seems a bit more rocky than Archen. I thougt about the dinosaur/dragon connection as well and came to the same conclusion .

Edit: LOL at the pic.

I wonder why they didn't have fossil Pokemon in Gen 2? :C Maybe it's to do with the location so close to Kanto, but still most of the regions apart from Unova are kinda close. DX

Could be. I don't remember much of Gen 2, were there no fossils at all in the game or just no new ones?

Either way, it's a shame.

Could be. I don't remember much of Gen 2, were there no fossils at all in the game or just no new ones?

Either way, it's a shame.
    There weren't any new ones, not sure if the old ones were available then or not. It's just a bit odd that only 1 gen has no fossils. XD

Well my favorite is obviously Armaldo. Cause it's based on my favorite prehistoric animal.

I am indeed the one with the power of a god.
    The divine flames that I've absorbed
    will burn you to a crisp with nuclear energy and leave nothing behind!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast