View Poll Results: What is your favourite Fossil-pokémon?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • Omanyte--Omastar (Rock/Water)

9 4.79%
  • Kabuto--Kabutops (Rock/Water)

29 15.43%
  • Aerodactyl (Rock/Flying)

35 18.62%
  • Lileep--Cradily (Rock/Grass)

22 11.70%
  • Anorith--Armaldo (Rock/Bug)

20 10.64%
  • Cranidos--Rampardos (Rock)

14 7.45%
  • Shieldon--Bastiodon (Rock/Steel)

7 3.72%
  • Tirtouga--Carracosta (Water/Rock)

24 12.77%
  • Archen--Archeops (Rock/Flying)

28 14.89%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fossil Pokémon

Quote Originally Posted by auteur View Post

According to some of Aerodactyl's Pokédex entries, it was revived from the DNA that was inside the Old Amber. My knowledge in DNA is almost null, but I guess one can assume that the remains (the ones trapped in amber and the ones fossilized in rocks) contain the full genetic information, and thus, with some futuristic technology they can revive the full organism. This may be reaffirmed by Omanyte's Red/Blue entries: "Although long extinct, in rare cases, it can be genetically resurrected from fossils." I guess the rare cases mean when the genetic code can fully be recovered and isn't damaged or has missing segments.
    The old pokedex entries in red/blue/green kind of remind me of the Jurassic Park movie. Which resurrected dinosaurs from the genetic materials found in pieces of amber etc... If I remember the movie also said that some of the pieces of DNA came from other animals as well like lizards or birds.

Anyways, my favorite fossil Pokémon are Tirtouga and Aerodactyl.
    I do not care about signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Poliwhirl'sMittens View Post
    I personally think that the majority of these prehistoric pokemon were originally rock pokemon like Aerodactyl who wasn't even revived from a rock/fossil.
    Right! Aerodactyl wasnt even directly exposed to "rock layers" to have an effect on its DNA that would turn it into a Rock type.

Cradily doesnt even strike me that much as a Grass pokemon.. I mean sure it vaguely resembles plants.. but it looks like rubber or something. Something tough and mineral-rich..

I cant see it not being Rock type x_x

My favourite fossil is Tirtouga/Carracosta because they are turtles (I like turtles btw)
    Cranidos/Rampardos gets a close second because of their MASSIVE Attack stat.
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

There needs to be Rock/Electric and Rock/Fire fossil twins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
    Cradily doesnt even strike me that much as a Grass pokemon.. I mean sure it vaguely resembles plants.. but it looks like rubber or something. Something tough and mineral-rich..

I cant see it not being Rock type x_x
    Lileep is an ancient Pokémon that was regenerated from a fossil. It remains permanently anchored to a rock. From its immobile perch, this Pokémon intently scans for prey with its two eyes.
    Does this mean it just attaches to a rock and holds on forever? Or does it mean that the bottom part of its body used to be a rock that it attached itself to but due to fossilization and reviving, it became apart of it?

Either way, I can't believe the third option because I think Lileep and and Anorith were originally dual water pokemon instead of rock but being a rock type may facilitate the preservation of a pokemon in fossil form.
    Last edited by Poliwhirl'sMittens; 16th September 2012 at 3:49 AM.

Does this mean it just attaches to a rock and holds on forever? Or does it mean that the bottom part of its body used to be a rock that it attached itself to but due to fossilization and reviving, it became apart of it?
    I think the "it" in the Pokédex entry refers to the ancient Lileep, because in "Lileep is an ancient Pokémon... it remains anchored to a rock", you can assume the antecedent is Lileep.

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2h6dobp.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing Star View Post
    I think the "it" in the Pokédex entry refers to the ancient Lileep, because in "Lileep is an ancient Pokémon... it remains anchored to a rock", you can assume the antecedent is Lileep.
    So would you say that the bottom part of its body was originally a rock that it attached itself to?
    Last edited by Poliwhirl'sMittens; 16th September 2012 at 3:53 AM.

But would you say that the bottom part of its body was originally a rock that it attached itself to?
    Oh, I forgot that part in my last post.

I'm assuming ancient Lileep used to attach itself to rocks (making the rock not part of its body). But since the fossil consists of a dead Lileep attached to that rock, I'm going to conjecture that the bottom part of its body was originally a rock that the ancient Lileep attached itself to.

Oh, I forgot that part in my last post.

I'm assuming ancient Lileep used to attach itself to rocks (making the rock not part of its body). But since the fossil consists of a dead Lileep attached to that rock, I'm going to conjecture that the bottom part of its body was originally a rock that the ancient Lileep attached itself to.
    That would explain its rock typing or the facilitating of its fossilization. Now I need to think of how Anorith was able to become fossilized.

That would explain its rock typing or the facilitating of its fossilization.
    Well, I'm sure that things that Pokémon tend to have with them at all times don't contribute to their types. Farfetch'd's (wow, that word looks awkward) leek thing doesn't make it part Grass-type.

But yeah, one can safely assume that fossil Pokémon are all part Rock-type because... well, they stayed buried in rock for millions of years and were excavated.

Well, I'm sure that things that Pokémon tend to have with them at all times don't contribute to their types. Farfetch'd's (wow, that word looks awkward) leek thing doesn't make it part Grass-type.

But yeah, one can safely assume that fossil Pokémon are all part Rock-type because... well, they stayed buried in rock for millions of years and were excavated.
    Well, like I said before, I believe that Lileep was originally dual water and grass while Anorith was water and bug. So yes, I do believe that they (Lileep and Anorith) became rock types due to fossilization but being a rock type or having rock-like attributes may make it easier for their fossils to be well-preserved.
    Last edited by Poliwhirl'sMittens; 16th September 2012 at 4:02 AM.

Well, like I said before, I believe that Lileep was originally dual water and grass while Anorith was water and bug. So yes, I do believe that they became rock types due to fossilization but being a rock type or having rock-like attributes may make it easier for their fossils to be well-preserved.
    Oh yeah, the ancient versions of the fossil Pokémon definitely may have had some other types.

As for Aerodactyl, the Old Amber may not have the actual fossil-like look, but I believe that the (gooey?) amber outside covered the bony remains of the ancient Aerodactyl and was just regular water or something that became that color of millions of years. That being said, though, I don't really know what type an ancient Aerodactyl would be, since it doesn't really look anything other than Rock or Flying. Dragon/Flying, maybe? (Same with Archen and Archeops; I don't see what types their ancient counterparts could have been. Normal/Flying?)

Oh yeah, the ancient versions of the fossil Pokémon definitely may have had some other types.

As for Aerodactyl, the Old Amber may not have the actual fossil-like look, but I believe that the (gooey?) amber outside covered the bony remains of the ancient Aerodactyl and was just regular water or something that became that color of millions of years. That being said, though, I don't really know what type an ancient Aerodactyl would be, since it doesn't really look anything other than Rock or Flying. Dragon/Flying, maybe? (Same with Archen and Archeops; I don't see what types their ancient counterparts could have been. Normal/Flying?)
    Well actually, I do believe that most of the fossil pokemon were originally rock type and Lileep and Anorith are the odd ones out and maybe Archeops. And the process of reviving may alter the pokemon's appearance and give them rock-like attributes.

And amber is actually fossilized tree resin (at least in real life)
    Last edited by Poliwhirl'sMittens; 16th September 2012 at 4:30 AM.

Well actually, I do believe that most of the fossil pokemon were originally rock type and Lileep and Anorith are the odd ones out and maybe Archeops and Aerodactyl. And the process of reviving may alter the pokemon's appearance and give them rock-like attributes.

And amber is actually fossilized tree resin (at least in real life)
    Yeah, with Pokémon like Kabuto and Omanyte, I could see them retaining their Rock types (Kabuto for its hard dome-like shell, and Omanyte following Magcargo logic).

If amber is fossilized tree resin in both the real world and in the Pokémon universe, does that mean that Aerodactyl was an herbivore (or at least, an omnivore)? It could've died near trees or something, or have eaten tree-dwelling Pokémon.

Yeah, with Pokémon like Kabuto and Omanyte, I could see them retaining their Rock types (Kabuto for its hard dome-like shell, and Omanyte following Magcargo logic).

If amber is fossilized tree resin in both the real world and in the Pokémon universe, does that mean that Aerodactyl was an herbivore (or at least, an omnivore)? It could've died near trees or something, or have eaten tree-dwelling Pokémon.
    It's not impossible that it was an omnivore but I doubt it was an herbivore. Even its real-life counterparts are carnivores so I believe your last sentence may be true. Whoops I accidentally included Aerodactyl in the "not originally rock type group." It wasn't revived from a fossil so it's safe to say it was rock from the start.
    Last edited by Poliwhirl'sMittens; 16th September 2012 at 4:32 AM.

Aerodactyl is still my favorite, but I think Cranidos would be a close second.
    3DS Friend Code: 3582-9622-5627

"Oh, and here is my grandson. …Erm, what was his name now?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ver-mont View Post
    Aerodactyl is still my favorite, but I think Cranidos would be a close second.
    I agree with Cranidos and Aerodactyl both being in my top three favorite fossil Pokémon. In fact, besides Lileep and Cradily, I really don't like any of the other fossil Pokémon.
    I like Cranidos mainly because it's cute and powerful, whereas Rampardos is a really good team member if used correctly. Aerodactyl is just awesome.
    I like Lileep's design, and though I'm not too fond of Cradily's, I like it because it serves as a pretty useful wall.

Cranidos, Rampardos, Aerodactyl - 10
    Lileep - 8.5
    Cradily - 8
    Every other fossil Pokémon - 3 or below

Its not just that they are Rock-type, but (which pretty much always goes hand in hand with that) they all also specialize in Rock-type moves. If they were just suddenly Rock type because of being buried for ages... how would that also make them natural users of moves like Rock Blast and Rock Slide?
    Also, buried for ages... would fossils just as easily be Ground types then?

For me easily the top 2 are Aerodactyl and Carracosta they just look precisely what ancient pokemon should look like.
    - My Sig was too Tall, so a Mod fixed it -

Its not just that they are Rock-type, but (which pretty much always goes hand in hand with that) they all also specialize in Rock-type moves. If they were just suddenly Rock type because of being buried for ages... how would that also make them natural users of moves like Rock Blast and Rock Slide?
    This is what I find confusing, the borderline between rock and ground type. To me, they're the same thing! The ground IS made of rock. (Just look at the ground type moves, Earthquake? Caused by the movement of rocks/partial melt. Fissure, Dig, blah blah. Unless it's just the force that's caused by movement in the ground of any kind? IDK. Doesn't make any sense to me, but there were lots of rock/ground types in gen 1 that puzzled me too. Are they defining rock types as exposed rock and ground types as everything under our feet? Don't get it. :C

Pokemon X: (Tam) 0860-4501-8564

Friend Safari: Spiritomb | Pumpkaboo | Shuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Tonguetyd View Post
    Rampardos' speed is 58.Great speed my a@s.
    compared to most rock types hell yes

I think being part rock just signifies them being revived from a rock. Also, the process of reviving may alter their moves as well as their appearance due to the influence of fossilization.

Rocks are rocks, and Ground is more dirt, sand etc.

Poor shieldon, I know few people like it but still.

Most probably just resting, or they made nests on trees like birds. I doubt a Pokémon described as "A ferocious, prehistoric Pokémon that goes for the enemy's throat with its serrated saw-like fangs." (Red and Blue Pokédex entry) could be anything but a carnivore.

I like Lileep's design, and though I'm not too fond of Cradily's, I like it because it serves as a pretty useful wall.
    I prefer Lileep's design to Cradily too, though that doesn't mean that Cradily is not awesome. I guess it's the purple colour and the vertical pose that makes it look better to me.

That's a good point. I've never thought about that, but it would be crazy that they learned something while being dead. Maybe one could argue that it's the resurrection process that changes something, but still, it doesn't make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchog View Post
    Poor shieldon, I know few people like it but still.
    Shieldon and Bastiodon are awesome. They may not be everyone's favourite, but still, here's someone that likes them.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast