Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Islamophobia and McCarthyism

Default Islamophobia and McCarthyism

Last week, Minnesota Republican Congresswoman Michele Bachmann accused top Hilary Clinton aide, Huma Abedin, of having connections to the Muslim Brotherhood which she believes is infiltrating the government. Keep in mind, Abedin is married to former NY Democratic Congressman Anthony Weiner who is Jewish and Pro-Israel. She is sided with 4 other Congressmen who also made the claim.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1680083.html

However, Senator John McCain condemned Bachmann's accusations and current House Majority Speaker John Boehner considers it too dangerous.

This is pretty much McCarthy-like since Bachmann is questioning Abedin's loyalty to America based on her religion. It's not just her but also others who think the same way. I like to hear your opinions on this.
    Last edited by Silver Soul; 28th July 2012 at 3:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Soul View Post
    Last week, Minnesota Republican Congresswoman Michele Bachmann accused former Hilary Clinton aide, Huma Abedin, of having connections to the Muslim Brotherhood which she believes is infiltrating the government. Keep in mind, Abedin is married to former NY Democratic Congressman Anthony Weiner who is Jewish and Pro-Israel. She is sided with 4 other Congressmen who also made the claim.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1680083.html

However, Senator John McCain condemned Bachmann's accusations and current House Majority Speaker John Boehner considers it too dangerous.

This is pretty much McCarthy-like since Bachmann is questioning Abedin's loyalty to America based on her religion. It's not just her but also others who think the same way. I like to hear your opinions on this.
    Lol, this is nothing compared to our islamophobic political party.
        Spoiler:- My latest challenge:

McCarthyism is a fairly large stretch, Ms. Abedin is a high ranking Government official, and her family has extensive ties with the Muslim brotherhood. The letter asked for the Inspector General to look into it and report back to congress. Not to set up some Anti American board to drag her in from, not jail time, but to look into the foreign family ties of a high ranking Government official with a terrorist organization, ties I might add do exist. To say that anyone is questioning Ms. Abedin's loyalty strictly on her religion, and not on the actual ties her family has is ludicrous. Mind you the Government is supposed to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Edit: Here are the ties:

Dr. Saleha Abedin ( Huma Abedin’s mother ) has been a member of the Muslim Sisterhood, “which is essentially nothing more than the female version of the Brotherhood,” according to Walid Shoebat, a former Brotherhood member who has renounced the organization. The Brotherhood is not only the font of Sunni supremacist ideology, it spearheads the international support network for Hamas, the terrorist organization that openly proclaims itself as the Brotherhood’s Palestinian branch.

According to one report, Dr. Abedin has on occasion represented herself as a delegate of the MWL. Moreover, as William Jacobson documents at Legal Insurrection, Dr. Abedin has led the International Islamic Committee for Woman and Child (IICWC), an Islamist organization that hews to the positions of Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi, the Brotherhood’s leading sharia jurist. Like Brotherhood entities, the IICWC defends such practices as female genital mutilation and child marriage, which find support in Islamic law and scripture.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-mccarthy?pg=3

"Another piece of the puzzle and what was common knowledge in the Arab world is that Huma Abedin has a brother named Hassan Abedin who sits in on the board of the Oxford Centre For Islamic Studies (OCIS) where Huma’s brother is a fellow and partners with a number of Muslim Brotherhood members on the Board, including Al-Qaeda associate, Omar Naseef and the notorious Muslim Brotherhood leader Sheikh Youssef Qaradawi; both have been listed as OCIS Trustees. Naseef continues to serve as Board Chairman."

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/jamie-g...huma-abedin-2/
    Last edited by BigLutz; 26th July 2012 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    McCarthyism is a fairly large stretch, Ms. Abedin is a high ranking Government official, and her family has extensive ties with the Muslim brotherhood. The letter asked for the Inspector General to look into it and report back to congress. Not to set up some Anti American board to drag her in from, not jail time, but to look into the foreign family ties of a high ranking Government official with a terrorist organization, ties I might add do exist. To say that anyone is questioning Ms. Abedin's loyalty strictly on her religion, and not on the actual ties her family has is ludicrous. Mind you the Government is supposed to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Edit: Here are the ties:

Dr. Saleha Abedin ( Huma Abedin’s mother ) has been a member of the Muslim Sisterhood, “which is essentially nothing more than the female version of the Brotherhood,” according to Walid Shoebat, a former Brotherhood member who has renounced the organization. The Brotherhood is not only the font of Sunni supremacist ideology, it spearheads the international support network for Hamas, the terrorist organization that openly proclaims itself as the Brotherhood’s Palestinian branch.

According to one report, Dr. Abedin has on occasion represented herself as a delegate of the MWL. Moreover, as William Jacobson documents at Legal Insurrection, Dr. Abedin has led the International Islamic Committee for Woman and Child (IICWC), an Islamist organization that hews to the positions of Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi, the Brotherhood’s leading sharia jurist. Like Brotherhood entities, the IICWC defends such practices as female genital mutilation and child marriage, which find support in Islamic law and scripture.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-mccarthy?pg=3

"Another piece of the puzzle and what was common knowledge in the Arab world is that Huma Abedin has a brother named Hassan Abedin who sits in on the board of the Oxford Centre For Islamic Studies (OCIS) where Huma’s brother is a fellow and partners with a number of Muslim Brotherhood members on the Board, including Al-Qaeda associate, Omar Naseef and the notorious Muslim Brotherhood leader Sheikh Youssef Qaradawi; both have been listed as OCIS Trustees. Naseef continues to serve as Board Chairman."

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/jamie-g...huma-abedin-2/
    Yes but still, things like this would lead to more unfounded bigotry based on the notion that Muslims in general are all evil. Not only Huma Abedin is the victim here, but also Minnesota Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison who is also Muslim.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1688150.html

Yes but still, things like this would lead to more unfounded bigotry based on the notion that Muslims in general are all evil. Not only Huma Abedin is the victim here, but also Minnesota Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison who is also Muslim.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1688150.html
    No it would hopefully lead to a investigation into her family ties with a radical organization, there is nothing unfounded or bigoted about that. She is a high ranking adviser who has access to classified materials, and has a mother part of a extremist organization. There is nothing wrong with looking into that, infact by not looking into it, you are putting Muslims into a special class and saying that just because of their religion they are immune to investigation based on their family associations.

BTW Keith Ellison's associations are no secret.

"" Known for months has been that Mr. Ellison was involved in the 1990s with the Nation of Islam, which even he now concedes is racist and anti-Semitic. In a letter of apology to the local Jewish community, Mr. Ellison claimed that he was never a member of the Natio of Islam and thus didn’t realize until later the organization’s ugly ideology. But according to press accounts at the time, Mr. Ellison served as Nation of Islam spokesman at a 1997 public hearing where he defended — in his own words — “the truth” of a government official’s supposed comment that “Jews are the most racist white people.”

Only learned recently and far more troubling is Mr. Ellison’s seemingly tight connection with Nihad Awad, co-founder of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), whom he met almost two decades ago at the University of Minnesota.

Mr. Ellison’s campaign obviously has downplayed the affiliation with Mr. Awad. But here are the facts: Mr. Awad headlined a fundraiser last month that the campaign estimates netted $15,000 to $20,000, and in July, and it appears that CAIR’s co-founder bundled contributions totaling just over $10,000. (The campaign issued a terse denial on the latter point, though it refused to explain away overwhelming evidence to the contrary.) The campaign has gone so far as to suggest that Mr. Awad did all this without having any contact with someone he’s known since the late 1980s. "

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-085114-9378r/

That is all from a 2006 article.
    Last edited by BigLutz; 26th July 2012 at 1:54 AM.

I would say it's better to judge someone based on their actions, rather than the actions of their family.
    "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."
    Gandalf to Saruman

Quote Originally Posted by Zevn View Post
    I would say it's better to judge someone based on their actions, rather than the actions of their family.
    That is very true, but in the ultra secrecy of U.S. intel, it is best to make sure that there are no possible leaks, than to wait and hope there are no leaks.

No it would hopefully lead to a investigation into her family ties with a radical organization, there is nothing unfounded or bigoted about that. She is a high ranking adviser who has access to classified materials, and has a mother part of a extremist organization. There is nothing wrong with looking into that, infact by not looking into it, you are putting Muslims into a special class and saying that just because of their religion they are immune to investigation based on their family associations.
    That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Abedin would suffer from all this by guilt by association which in the eyes of bigots, makes her an enemy to America automatically. You are not understanding the sympathy from this.

Publicly accusing her is far different than investigating in the interest of safety. They are trying to discredit her.
    Gandalf to Saruman

I think you are missing the point Silver. If this person has family members with ties to a terror organization then she is a possible liability. Since her family could be taken hostage or she could be blackmailed by the group. So if she does have ties (even distant ones) It needs to be investigated to insure her integrity.

So true!

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Abedin would suffer from all this by guilt by association which in the eyes of bigots, makes her an enemy to America automatically. You are not understanding the sympathy from this.
    So you are saying Congress should go "Hey we know this woman's family has ties to this organization, but some people may see her as a enemy so screw it we are not doing anything"

Quote Originally Posted by Zevn
    Publicly accusing her is far different than investigating in the interest of safety. They are trying to discredit her.
    Last time I checked they were not accusing her of anything, just asking to investigate ties, if those ties turn out to be nothing then she would be vindicated would she not?

Vindicated in the eyes of the reasonable perhaps, which I'm sure you are aware is not the majority of the U.S.
    Gandalf to Saruman

Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    I think you are missing the point Silver. If this person has family members with ties to a terror organization then she is a possible liability. Since her family could be taken hostage or she could be blackmailed by the group. So if she does have ties (even distant ones) It needs to be investigated to insure her integrity.
    If it was to insure her integrity, then they did a TERRIBLE job at it. Poor communication can kill you know.

It just seems that way Zevn.

I disagree Silver. If she doesn't have ties then as Big pointed out she will recover if she plats it gracefully. It will be worse if she fights the investigation cause we will begin to wonder what she is hiding.
    Last edited by Malanu; 26th July 2012 at 2:18 AM.

So true!

Quote Originally Posted by Malanu View Post
    It just seems that way Zevn.

I disagree Silver. If she doesn't have ties then as Big pointed out she will recover if she plats it gracefully. It will be worse if she fights the investigation cause we will begin to wonder what she is hiding.
    Yeah. But the problem is this for example recently, Senator McCain came into her defense last week and this is what he got in response from Arizona Tea Party Leader Wes Harris who wants to RECALL him for it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1697793.html

Wes Harris, the founder and chairman of the Original North Phoenix Tea Party, now says McCain's words have given him grounds to mount an effort to unseat the longtime senator.

In an interview with the Arizona Capitol Times, Harris called McCain an "embarrassment," before laying out a variety of unapologetic anti-Islamic sentiments.

“Have you ever read the Quran? I suggest you do so, because anyone that is a Muslim is a threat to this country, and that’s a fact,” Harris told the Times. “There is no such thing as a moderate Muslim. If they are Muslim they have to follow the Quran. That’s their religion and that’s their doctrine.”

According to the Times, Harris believes Muslims are incapable of being loyal to the U.S., because he claims that their faith in Islam and the Quran trumps any other allegiance. He also apparently believes Muslims shouldn't be able to serve in the State Department at all.

“Is [Abedin] a Muslim? Is she an active Muslim?” Harris asked the Times. “I rest my case. That’s all she needs to be.”

In his email airing his grievances, Harris also linked to the Bare Naked Islam blog, an internet clearinghouse for Islamophobia that claims to have further proof of Abedin's supposed ties to the Muslim Brotherhood. One post touts a new report from the Center for Security Policy, the right-wing think tank behind the paper that led to Bachmann and her cohort's initial inquiry, that seeks to unveil the "Islamist" roots of Abedin's mother.

While other top Republicans, including House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), came out to reject Bachmann's accusation, Harris says McCain's defense of Abedin is just the latest in a string of actions that have warranted a recall effort.

“Go to hell, Senator, it’s time for you to take your final dirt nap,” Harris concludes.

Yeah. But the problem is this for example recently, Senator McCain came into her defense last week and this is what he got in response from Arizona Tea Party Leader Wes Harris who wants to RECALL him for it.

And? If the voters believe that McCain is wrong they will recall him, if not then they won't, that should not dispute the fact that this needs to be investigated.
    Last edited by BigLutz; 26th July 2012 at 2:37 AM.

Its just another attempt to cover up the real corruption in that government because it side tracks people from the truth in which most are very close to truely understanding...
    Bug-Type Represent !

Then let the honorable woman be investigated. Because as an honorable man, if I'm not hiding something, you can look till you are old and grey. It's how my honor works.

So true!

I really, r e a l l y don't like John McCain. But I think he does have a point here. Malanu, I don't think that he, or that woman, have a problem with her being investigated. I'm sure she has nothing to hide. But the problem is that the act of being investigated alone could will be used by the media to end her career. It doesn't matter that they'll find nothing, the headlines will read "So and so investigated for links to terrorism." That's all people will see and that's all they'll remember.

Jon Stewart covered this last week. He found a better connection between Bachmann and Al-Qaeda.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

Quote Originally Posted by marioguy View Post
    Jon Stewart covered this last week. He found a better connection between Bachmann and Al-Qaeda.
    And notice they address the weakest piece of evidence and ignore the stronger pieces?

Seems like the big problem is accusing her publically over a radio station rather than just asking for an investigation if she wants it. There's nothing wrong with investigation a real connection if there is one (and family connections don't always mean anything) but since Bachmann started by going to the media, it looks exactly like she was trying to damage Abedin's career, because regardless of the way the investigation turns out, Abedin would never fully recover from a full-fledged media campaign, and Bachmann's got to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Albus Dumbledore
    Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

My deviantART
    | Suggested Alternative News: The Juice Rap News and The Corbett Report

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyC View Post
    Seems like the big problem is accusing her publically over a radio station rather than just asking for an investigation if she wants it. There's nothing wrong with investigation a real connection if there is one (and family connections don't always mean anything) but since Bachmann started by going to the media, it looks exactly like she was trying to damage Abedin's career, because regardless of the way the investigation turns out, Abedin would never fully recover from a full-fledged media campaign, and Bachmann's got to know that.
    I may be confused but I thought this all started with letters to the Inspector General, the radio and tv interviews coming later when the Press caught wind of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Malanu, I don't think that he, or that woman, have a problem with her being investigated. I'm sure she has nothing to hide. But the problem is that the act of being investigated alone could will be used by the media to end her career.
    Or it could give the finger pointing bunch a black eye. Crying wolf and all that you know. Look at the conspiracy rhetoric surrounding the Clinton's and they seem to be floating to the top.

So true!

I may be confused but I thought this all started with letters to the Inspector General, the radio and tv interviews coming later when the Press caught wind of it.
    Okay, but still. I would say that it matters who initiated the media arrangement, but it doesn't. Say the press caught wind of it and asked to interview her; same thing would apply. I would think the professional thing to say is 'no, this is a serious matter that could potentially slander a colleague's career, and possibly a developing security issue.' But she went on the radio with it. This quote from sctimes, which the article is linked to, says it best:

Meanwhile, Rep. Keith Ellison, DFL-Minneapolis, said in a statement that he’s puzzled by Bachmann’s comments. Ellison, the first Muslim-American elected to the U.S. Congress, said he doesn’t understand why Bachmann would make such accusations through the press if she has information that’s as sensitive as she claims.

“If she has sources for this type of information, she owes it to the country to reveal them to the proper authorities, but definitely not this way,” Ellison said. “If she doesn't have this type of information, she should not be whipping up fear and hysteria about a very important matter.”
    If she's not trying to politicize this and - slander - this woman, then her method is pretty baffling. But then again, I hear people sometimes find Bachmann baffling.
    Last edited by CSolarstorm; 26th July 2012 at 7:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albus Dumbledore
    Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

My deviantART
    | Suggested Alternative News: The Juice Rap News and The Corbett Report

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast