Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #90

This week, we have one of the best Pseudo-Legendary Pokémon ever.

Hydreigon, everybody's favourite three headed EVIL Dragon and my favourite Pseudo-Legendary Pokémon.

Ability Compendium:
    Levitate: Damage dealing Ground-type moves have no effect on this Pokémon. Cannot be trapped by Arena Trap ability. Takes no damage from Spikes.
    EVIL Hydreigon's best (and only) Ability. It allows the EVIL Dragon to have one of the highest entry hazard resistances among all Pokémon.

Pros:
    High stats in Attack (105), Special Attack (125) and Speed (98)
    Decent defensive stats (92/90/90)
    A super nice movepool either physical, special, mixed, anything you want, EVIL Hydreigon learns moves from 16 of the 17 types, doesn't learn Grass-type moves.
    EVIL, lots of EVIL, tons of Pseudo-Legendary EVIL, Hydreigon even has an EVIL typing (Dark/Dragon)
    It's a three headed Dragon (it was one of my dreams, seeing a Dragon with 3 heads in Pokémon)
    It's unique typing (and Ability) gives EVIL Hydreigon some resistances and immunities, resisting the four basic types Dragons usually resist (Electric, Fire, Grass and Water), two to Dark and Ghost and two immunities (to the ever common Ground and another to Psychic)
    Has one of the highest entry hazard resistance among the entire metagame, being immune to all forms of Spikes and taking only neutral damage to Stealth Rock (Flygon is better since it takes minimal damage from SR).

Cons:
    Four weaknesses: two very common among Dragon-types (Dragon and Ice), another common to the ever present Fighting and an odd one to Bug-types (a Dragon-type being afraid of Bugs is a rare vision).
    The hardest Pokémon to train ever, you need to level up to Level 64 to obtain the EVIL Hydreigon.
    The best user of Illegal Evolution Poké-Wheaties, used by Unova Spatial Princess Dragon Champion Iris and Ghetsis (and the freaking bastard used that TWICE).
    Weak to Ice Shard, Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave.

Ein, Zwei, Drei
    @Life Orb
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Sp Atk/252 Spd/4 Sp Def
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    Dark Pulse
    Dragon Pulse
    Flamethrower
    Roost
    A basic Roost set, where Roost heals the Life Orb recoil (and other kinds of damage) the EVIL Hydreigon will suffer.
    Dark and Dragon Pulse are your STABS of choice, while Flamethrower goes well with Dragon Pulse in terms of coverage (however Flash Fire Heatran will wall this).

The EVIL Dark Dragon
    @Choice Band/Choice Specs/Leftovers/Life Orb/Wise Glasses
    EVs: 252 Sp Atk/252 Spd/4 Sp Def
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    Dark Pulse
    Dragon Pulse
    Flamethrower
    Earth Power
    The same set as Roosting EVIL Dragon except we have Earth Power instead of Roost and a different hold item.
    Even with Earth Power, Flash Fire Heatran with Air Balloon will wall this as long as no damage is taken.
    About items, you can chosse one of the following list:
    Choice Band/Specs: Forces EVIL Hydreigon into using only one move with a 50% boost in Speed (Band) or in Special Attack (Specs)
    Leftovers: Lefties restores EVIL Hydreigon's HP over time, adding some defensive power.
    Life Orb: Boosts EVIL Hydreigon's attacking moves by 30% at the cost of 10% max HP as recoil damage.
    Wise Glasses: Adds 10% to EVIL Hydreigon's attacking moves.

Physical, physical, I want an EVIL Physical Dragon!
    @Choice Band/Choice Scarf/Leftovers/Persim Berry
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Sp Def
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Outrage/Dragon Rush
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    EVIL Hydreigon's high Attack stat allows him to use a Physical set.
    Crunch is your Dark-type STAB of choice with the occasional Defense drop putting your opponents afraid of a Dragon Rush/Outrage.
    About your Dragon STAB, Dragon Rush has a high chance of Flinching (I love flinching opponents, you know) but has shaky accuracy, while Outrage has Outrageous power, however it locks EVIL Hydreigon into using that move 2-3 times in a row and then confuse you.
    Earthquake and SE/RS gives you the infamous Quake Edge combo.
    About items, Choice items lock you into using the same move (Outrage, anyone?) until you switch out, Leftovers restores HP over time, while Persim Berry removes confusion after the Outrage spam.

Prediction for next week:

That way, we can have another voting PoTW Special week.

PS: Don't mind if I added too much EVIL to this post!
    Last edited by Star Champion AJ; 16th September 2012 at 4:37 PM. Reason: Adding some EVIL to this post...
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

a little cup set i use sometimes

physical set

deino@choice scarf
    outrage
    crunch
    aqua tail
    superpower
    ev's: 252 attack,252 speed,4 hp?
    unresisted combinaton

rather decent sweeper!

The hydra we all like.FINALLY.

The 3-headed beast
    timid/modest
    252 speed/ 252 sp.atk
    @choice scarf
    -Draco meteor
    -Focus Blast
    -flamethrower/fire blast
    -Dark pulse/U-turn

The good ol´revenge killer set.An awesome way to put its ´´odd`` base 97 speed to good use.Draco-Meteor leaves a hole through anything that doenst have steel as a typing and isnt named chansey/blissey.For steels, Focus blast and the fire move of choice can work as a way to deal with them(suck on that, ferrothorn).Dark pulse as a stab option, and u-turn for scouting.If u-turn is chosen, a hasty nature would be a great idea.The nature is on hwat you want:
    Modest to hit thing really harder or:
    Timid to outspeed more enemies.(a choice scarf jolly haxorus, for instance...)
    Fighting-types can make short work of it.(namely terrakion)Pokes like skarmory can help on the situation, as with that big defense it makes short work of it.

Prediction to next week:CHARIZARD,PLEASE.

Click on my banner to go into my shop!

White FC: 4642-4390-4207
    Y FC:5069 4882 3444

my mixed defence set

hydreigon@leftovers
    bashful nature
    fly
    toxic
    protect
    surf

just golike this
    toxic
    fly
    protect
    fly
    protect
    and on and on!

You jerks had to vote for the Pokemon that has ~10 usable sets as well as two usable pre-evolutions.

I hate you all.

Finally, another dragon type. What’s more, it’s my favourite Gen. V Pokémon.
    This is my first set posted on one of these POTW threats, so here we go:

Hydreigon
    Levitate
    Life Orb
    - Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
    - Dark Pulse
    - Flamethrower
    - Tri-Attack/U-Turn
    4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed

This beast is all about attacking.
    The first two slots are Hydreigon’s best STAB moves, I would personally choose Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor because that move can be used over and over.
    Flamethrower is there for the steel types that resist it’s dragon attack, and it’s way more reliable than Fire Blast.
    U-Turn is essentially an offensive switch-out, but it’s not extremely damaging to the things Hydreigon might actually run from. (ice/dragon/fighting types) So, you could fill this slot with Tri-Attack, which could prove very useful in some situations. It has a one in five chance of either paralyzing, freezing or burning the opponent, while still doing some decent damage. This could potentially mean the end to any Pokémon trying to wall this dragon.
    You can call me Lance the Dragon Master! You know that dragons are mythical Pokémon! They’re hard to catch and raise, but their powers are superior! They’re virtually indestructible! Well, are you ready to lose? Your League challenge ends with me!

My team of favourite Pokémon:

I think Zweilous should be featured, too. The following move set is based off of one I saw in a Youtube video.

Blind but Dangerous
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 ATT, 126 Def, 130 Sp. Def (you can add the 4 EV points to defense if you want to)
    Item: Evolite
    Moves:
    Outrage/Dragon Claw
    Fire Fang
    Crunch
    Super Power

Before releasing the beast, try to pass down an accuracy boost (Speed Boost Blaziken or Ninjask works the best). With the combination of hustle and a few boosts, it could out-perform Hydreigon.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    You jerks had to vote for the Pokemon that has ~10 usable sets as well as two usable pre-evolutions.

I hate you all.
    Which Pokémon you wanted to cover this week? Magikarp, Unown, Weepinbell?
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by absol-umbreon View Post
    a little cup set i use sometimes

physical set

deino@choice scarf
    outrage
    crunch
    aqua tail
    superpower
    ev's: 252 attack,252 speed,4 hp?
    unresisted combinaton

rather decent sweeper!
    Deino really doesn't need Aqua Tail. It doesn't hit anything that outrage already hits. Fire Fang is better for dealing with Bronzor. Superpower is neat too. EV's should be 20 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spe, cause it doesnt need 252 to hit it's highest number, so extra EV's go into bulk. Deino's main problem this that Hustle sucks. It always misses when it needs to hit. Too bad it doesn't get Hone Claws. I wanna fiddle around with an Eviolite set. That might be fun :P
    ayd22: what's it like to use broken items to make up for lackluster skills
    ayd22: yeah your playing great right not
    ayd22: rethink your strategy
    Togoro: get styled upon
    The Pokemon Showdown Little Cup Ladder

I do nothing anymore. Oops
    PASBL

I hate you all.
    I voted for Durant, so you can't hate us all!

If you were to pronounce hydreigon with a correct german accent, then it's name becomes a pun for dragon...i always thought that gamefreak did that on purpose

Ghetsis: Hydreigon Is Awesome-
    -Fire Blast
    -Dark Pulse/Acrobatics
    -Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
    -Focus Blast
    Item: Wide Lens
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 S.Atk/ 252 SPD

Hyreigon has a great Special Attack stat, and this set will take full advantage of it. It's moves cover all of it's weaknesses, as well as having Levitate to negate Ground moves. Dragon Pulse is more accurate, yet has less power. However, it doesn't lower your Special Attack stat. Draco Meteor would probably be a near-end move, considering the power, stat lowering, and the Wide Lens boosts accuracy. Fire Blast wrecks Bug, Grass, and Ice types. Dark Pulse is an STAB move that ruins Ghost types, Psychic types, and Acrobatics is a filler that wrecks one of Hydreigon's weaknesses in Fighting. Focus Blast ruins Normal types and Ditto if it Transforms, Ice types, Rock, Steel, and Dark types. Good luck with the set.
    If you want me to do a Black or White Challenge, just tell me. I get bored.

I hate you all.

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Ok, so I don't know if anyone's posted this yet, and I don't care. It's amazing.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Rash Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Superpower
    - Roost

Ok, so before BW2, mixed Hydreigon was pretty much an inferior MixMence. It just didn't break walls like Mence could, but this all changed in BW2 with Superpower. Between Draco Meteor and Fire Blast, you're hitting pretty much everything hard besides Heatran, Tyranitar, Blissey/Chansey, and maybe some weird NU stuff that I won't even worry about right now. Superpower almost completely fixes this, letting you handle Heatran, Tyranitar, and Blissey with Superpower (Chansey needs a lot of prior damage, though). However, Roost is probably the best part about this set. Hydreigon may have an additional Fighting weakness that most other Dragons resist, but its neutrality to Rock, 2x weakness to Ice instead of 4x, and its resistance to Pursuit (not to mention its surprisingly good bulk) have all given it advantages over other Dragons. Now with Roost, Hydreigon can truly take advantage of its good bulk and typing and actually last a long time against teams that can't do enough damage to it. Definitely my new favorite set, and it really jeeds to be used more.

I hate you all.
    LOL I voted for haxorus so you can't blame me

@JesusFreak: yes, duranteater posted a similar set.

Scarf set is basicly the same set I posted before but with timid as main and modest as secondary and U-turn as an option instead of earth power or dark pulse.

Counters: Chansey nuff said. Hydreigon have more checks than counters it is very hard to switch into it specs ones demolish almost everything with draco meteor.
    Last edited by Ilan; 16th September 2012 at 7:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Hydreigon; the first ever hybrid Dark-Dragon Pokemon ever. My top two favorite types finally combined onto a single Pokemon, yay! 6 resistances, 3 weaknesses (all of which very common attacks), 2 immunities (one from it's Ability), and very good offensive coverage (only Steel resists both types) it's a very good Pokemon. 98 base Speed is...odd, but not horrible. Although good in OU, I personally found Hydreigon to be laughable prior to the Move Tutors of Black2/White2. I mean, seriously, it can't learn Dark Pulse unless you trade over a Gyarados that was taught it back in Generation IV? (That's what my research showed: Gyarados shares an Egg category with Hydreigon, can be taught Dark Pulse via TM, it's an Egg move for Hydreigon...you get the rest.) Anyways, here are my set ideas.

Back in my day, we used swords not fancy guns!
    ~Dragon Pulse
    ~Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    ~Surf
    ~Hyper Voice/Tri Attack/Flash Cannon
    Item Attached: Choice Scarf/Life Orb
    EVs and Natures: 252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
    Timid (+ Speed, - Attack)/Modest (+ Special Attack, - Attack)

Pre-Black2/White2 Moveset. Dragon Pulse is your standard go-to attack. STAB, hits most things for neutral, good PP, this ought to be on every Hydreigon. Flamethrower has that perfect coverage as described in Reshiram's file; Fire Blast is for those who prefer the trade off of higher accuracy and PP for power. Which is...99% of the people who are members of this site/who write up the POTW. Surf has good coverage, good power, and is your best weapon against Terrakion (there's also Earthquake, but 105 Attack compared to 125 Special Attack?). It also hits most Steels neutral and is the only Special Attack it has (again, pre-Black2/White2) that'll hurt Heatran. The last move is just for filler. Hyper Voice has good power and invokes Skyrim memes (I even named mine in White Alduin), plus most Pokemon who can safely switch into it have little to no business switching in due to Hydreigon's other possible moves. Tri Attack is weaker, but has the possibility of inflicting a Status onto your opponent. Yes it's random, low chance of happening, and may bring about your own defeat (ex. giving a Burn to something with Guts), but the possibility of ruining Magic Bounce users with a Status they'd usually laugh off (such as Espeon with Paralysis) is enough to warrant at the least a "gimmick" mention. Plus it's one of a handful of Dragons who can inflict Freeze Status semi-reliably. (Kyurem is the other; most others don't have the moveslots for Ice Beam or in Dragonite's case Ice Punch. Plus Dragon as an offensive type tends to hit most things Ice would and more anyways so how often does one see a Dragon and an Ice move on the same Pokemon?) Flash Cannon also hits Terrakion and Tyranitar like Surf, but with the chance of a Special Defense drop. Have I mentioned that before, that Flash Cannon does that Special Defense drop bit? Other than that, your other moves tend to leave Flash Cannon on the sidelines, so save this for Double Battles when you have a Serene Grace-equipped partner.
    Items are fairly self-explanitory. Choice Scarf makes up for Hydreigon's Speed (oh the things that outrun this Dragon!) and is preferred over Choice Specs since you've got a strong 125 base Special Attack to work with already. (Though the extra power is always nice...) Life Orb boosts the power of Hydreigon's attacks while cutting your own health. Just make sure you run an EOD unit on your team (Espeon, Rapid Spinners, etc) so you don't KO yourself sooner. (EOD, for those not familiar with the term, means Explosive Ordinance Disposal; a sub-branch of the US Navy that gets rid of land mines, IEDs, and other hazards. A fitting term for Pokemon who exist competitively just to get rid of field hazards, no?)

Welcome to the future!
    ~Dragon Pulse
    ~Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    ~Earth Power
    ~Dark Pulse
    Item Attached: same as above
    Ability: Levitate (it's the only Ability it gets.)
    EVs and Nature: same as above

Post-Black2/White2 moveset. It works the same as the previous set, but with two different, key attacks. (Side note, for those who "breed perfection" this set can be created legally by breeding a Hydreigon with a Gyarados who was taught Dark Pulse in Gen IV and whatever's breedable with Hydreigon that knows Earth Power. I don't.) Earth Power is slightly weaker than Surf and hits most of what the Water move also hits. The differences are fairly huge, however: a chance to lower the foe's Special Defense and a X4 hit on Heatran (who, as stated for Reshiram, is the only thing that resists the Dragon/Fire offensive combo). Dark Pulse is your other STAB move, and a good one too. Hits Psychic and Ghost types hard, and the Flinch chance always helps even if your opponent has a counter in.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

-Take up thy cross and follow Christ Jesus.
    ~Don't underestimate my God~
    ♥I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you do too and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.♥

I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar, "I don't use "uber" Pokemon," edited out by me because I do use "uber" Pokemon on occasion.)

I hate you all.
    I voted haxorus, though hydreigon did cross my mind, as well as half a dozen others.

I hate you all.
    For the record, I didn't vote Hydreigon. I voted for Arcanine even though realistically I didn't think it would win.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

-Take up thy cross and follow Christ Jesus.
    ~Don't underestimate my God~
    ♥I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior. If you do too and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.♥

I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar, "I don't use "uber" Pokemon," edited out by me because I do use "uber" Pokemon on occasion.)

I hate you all.
    Lol. What exactly did you want to cover? For the record, I voted for Metagross.
    DW Pokemon I can offer:

lol I was being sarcastic, I'm fine with Hydreigon.

I pick Hydreigon too

Phisidreigon
    Item @ Choice band/black belt
    EV's 252 attack, 216 speed, 52 Hp/def
    Super power
    Outrage
    Stone edge

SP.dragon
    Item @ dragon/dark/earth gem
    Eart power/heat wave
    Dark pulse
    Dragon pulse/draco meteor
    Charge beam/surf

I can't think of anything else
    Last edited by SmeargleRocks; 17th September 2012 at 3:43 AM.

Badge: Wyvern Badge
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge)

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyoshi View Post
    Although good in OU, I personally found Hydreigon to be laughable prior to the Move Tutors of Black2/White2. I mean, seriously, it can't learn Dark Pulse unless you trade over a Gyarados that was taught it back in Generation IV? (That's what my research showed: Gyarados shares an Egg category with Hydreigon, can be taught Dark Pulse via TM, it's an Egg move for Hydreigon...you get the rest.)
    there are other Pokemon you could pass dark pulse with for example I had used a Seviper....(Arbok also works)
    The worst part was that Earthpower was also an eggmove, so it was useless as you had to forgo STAB to get it...
    (My Hydregion's set has already been covered so this is my contribution...
    Dragons are my friend, Ice is my foe...
    (Kyurem is an exception) dragonics rule

-Let us hope for gen 6 to turn out well!

I hate you all.
    Hey, don't look at me, I voted for Garbodor.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Ah, Hydreigon... one of the very first things I made in BW once I learned how to RNG Eggs, anyways.

The one I use, Sp. Atk:
    Modest/Timid. EVs: 6 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd
    Item: Choice Specs
    Dragon Pulse
    Dark Pulse
    Flamethrower
    Earth Power

Though technically, I can't have Hydreigon with both Earth Power and Dark Pulse in BW without support from BW2, there's nothing a little glitched Ditto can't handle. But for those who argue about its 'legitimacy', replace Earth Power with Surf or Charge Beam.

Second one, Atk:
    Adamant/Jolly. EVs: 6 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd.
    Item: Choice Band
    Outrage
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Head Smash

Outrage does what it does best: kill things, including allies in Generation III and IV. Earthquake is there to destroy Steel types that withstand Earthquake (and also kills allies too, so beware). Crunch is for secondary STAB and may lower Def. Head Smash is for... Skarmory, I guess. Crack one of the 3 skulls of Hydreigon on an enemy's and take recoil for some reason. 80 Acc sucks and will miss probably 50% of the time, but the 150 power is very nice.
    135: "You play wifi random matchups?"
    Me: "Occasionally."
    135: "Why?"
    Me: "Being undefeated is fun."
    135: "That's nice, but how many were against those who actually knew what they were doing?"
    Me: "More than you'd think. I face one noob player per every two pros. But the point is, I'm undefeated against other RNGers."
    135: "Perhaps. But the real fun comes from facing other pros in full scale 6 v 6 with no restrictions. That's where everything goes."

Moral of story: Random matchups can be fun and interesting, but a full scale 6 vs. 6 can be an epic clash where both sides bring everything they have into the field, including gimmicks, dedicated counters, and emergency responses.

This would be my Hydreigon:

Item: Choice Specs
    Nature: Timid
    - Dark Pulse
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Flamethrower
    - Surf
    Proven fact: Stardust Road and Teresa Waltz from the Super Mario Galaxy CD are good lullabies. Thanks to Savanny Killersaurus for demonstrating.

Friend Code: 2552-0309-3757
    Pokémon in my safari: Ponyta, Fletchinder, Charmeleon
    Pokémon I am looking for: none atm

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast