Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Characters that would've been good companions with Ash

Default Characters that would've been good companions with Ash

Suppose Cilan wasn't the one Striaton Brother chosen to travel with Ash. What if it was Chili? What if Brock and/or Misty weren't chosen as two of eight Kanto Gym Leaders to be Ash's first traveling buddies? What if Sabrina was chosen (or at least considered) or Lt. Surge (maybe not but in the Anime, I wouldn't be very surprised)? And why does it have to be a Gym Leader or one of the female game PCs?

So have fun with this. State your reasons for the character traveling with Ash.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

I think that in Johto would have been more choices because back then there weren't much girl game characters that existed.

But I wouldn't have mind Sakura being a companion back then. It would show the writers how they could work with two girls in the group plus how to work with four characters instead of just three.

Barry is alot of joy and since he traveled with the group alot in Sinnoh, I think he could have been a travel companion. They could have used some comedy in the group because Ash wasn't funny in Sinnoh.

Lyra is just words for a great companion. It would have been nice for her but she was a beginner and she was another Chikorita carrier that I didn't want to see. If only she wasn't a beginner who needed to go back to Johto.

You do have a point about Chili and Cress. I wonder who thought of Cilan out of the three. Chili seemed more of what the group needed than Cilan. Cress could have also been the flamboyant type, plus he seems more smart and less annoying than his brother, so yes that would have been a nice option.

My ideal battle ever!

Cilan seems to be the leader of the triplets in the games, and is also the middle ground between Chili and Cress' polar personalities. But it's interesting to think what the other two would be like as companions. Sabrina would have been an interesting choice, but her powers would be a little too convenient. Copycat would be an interesting possibility, especially seeing as Duplica was based on her and is a popular filler character. Wally really should have been featured in Hoenn one way or another.

It's hard to pick a specific character, I'd like to see a cross between Gary/Richie, so there is a competiveness there, but also conflicting natures so the two aren't running around hand-in-hand.

I think instead of like having Gym leaders as travelers, they should have just used game characters like Jimmy or Lucas(Expect for season 1, when Red was the only choice for the player. He should have just traveled alone in my opinion.)

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoCoke View Post
    I think instead of like having Gym leaders as travelers, they should have just used game characters like Jimmy or Lucas(Expect for season 1, when Red was the only choice for the player. He should have just traveled alone in my opinion.)
    what about yellow from the pokemon adventure manga her powers would come in handy!

I was thinking of Wally or Wallace for Hoenn.

I cannot think anyone better than Misty/Brock..

X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty Flam View Post
    I was thinking of Wally or Wallace for Hoenn.

I cannot think anyone better than Misty/Brock..

but wasn't wally sick?

I can't help but think marina would have made a good misty replacement after OI, and that lyra and her breeder sidekick would have made a better addition to the main cast if they replaced brock for the last 40 eps of Sinnoh. As for BW, I would have liked to see an older Ash and Hilda.

I think that Chili would have gotten annoying after a while as well as Cress. Cilan is probably the most tolerable. I like him though. Iris on the other hand...I really dislike her. They should have replaced her with Hilda or something.
    Signature edited due to exceeding the gif size limit. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    but wasn't wally sick?
    He had a weak body.
    Somehow pokemon n adventure gave him spirit n strength.
    It would be dramatic if he won an epic battle n then collapse (died).
    Maybe too dramatic.

X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

In Kanto Misty and Brock were more than good enough traveling companions imo, being there to get familiar Ash with pokemon basics and helping him to grow as trainer.
    Granted like some mentioned Sabrina might have been intriguing choice, but whole psychic powers thing and fact that she was older would probably mess up story too much imo. Still i wish we got to see her more often because whole personality distorter issue had interesting premise behind it.

However in Johto i feel addition of Marina as second female traveling companion would add something refreshing to main cast and set up ground for interesting character interaction having two girls for first time in one group. That concept could have been used in theory in Hoenn too if Misty joined them in BF and May stayed, but alas.

Only issue with Marina in Johto emerges from fact how contests still didn't existed at that time ,so character would be prone to become quickly stale without some purpose behind his existence. That's unless writers came up with anime exclusive goal which would be plausible enough to support her stay in cast.

Leaf had some promise to become traveling companion to Ash and co having every predisposition to take up role as coordinator. But i guess this was never meant to happen simply being blew out from competition.

In Sinnoh i think Reggie would have been something worthy enough to be taken in consideration. Not necessarily by replacing Brock, but still whole breeder thing would allow for better character dynamic with Brock having someone to relate too and vice versa, preventing to end up so much left out from group dynamic at times.

In Unova im satisfied with cast so far and wouldn't change anything about it, but in 6th generation it would be nice way to shake things up to see one of older traveling companions back in cast for awhile again, to get update and sequel to his story.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I can't help but think marina would have made a good misty replacement after OI, and that lyra and her breeder sidekick would have made a better addition to the main cast if they replaced brock for the last 40 eps of Sinnoh. As for BW, I would have liked to see an older Ash and Hilda.
    If Misty left before Johto that would be incredibly short run for female sidekick, and i don't think i would welcome it. Especially when majority of her growth didn't even happen until Johto and hosos.

That being said, speaking of other Marina they met in OI i always thought she would have been great rival for Misty in Johto.

Sadly, Marina would have to wait until Pokemon Crystal was revealed if she were to be a companion.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsonn98 View Post
    I think that Chili would have gotten annoying after a while as well as Cress. Cilan is probably the most tolerable. I like him though. Iris on the other hand...I really dislike her. They should have replaced her with Hilda or something.
    We wouldn't really know that. In the episode when they first showed the triplets, Cilan was the only one saying crap about "tasting" and whatever else. I ruled him out right there and then. I was in love with Chili when I first saw him over Cilan. But I guess the developers don't want such a hot guy on the main cast.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    what about yellow from the pokemon adventure manga her powers would come in handy!
    Well, i think Manga characters should stay in the manga.

No idea why Barry did not replace Brock. Oh the hilarious antics of that trio.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraMaster View Post
    No idea why Barry did not replace Brock. Oh the hilarious antics of that trio.
    Yeah, Barry wouldn't be boring like Brock in that arc. Plus, if they needed a cook, Barry could've had a hidden talent in cooking and food rationing.

too much barry would have ruined his character. He had more than enough screentime as the secondary rival who got thrown under the bus at the league.

Reggie instead of Brock in DP could have worked...I guess.

I would have loved to see Sakura traveling with Ash, Misty & Brock back in Johto. It would have been really interesting to see the dynamic.

No one said Gold yet? (Guess it would've been obvious.)

Anyway, other characters directly from the games aside, I had actually though Casey was going to join the team in Johto when she first appeared. But I guess it was for the best, since she proved to be a bit annoying rather quickly what with her tending to go on about the Electabuzz baseball team when given the chance. She at least showed up a good few times throughout the Johto saga, but it probably was for the best she remained a minor, but recurring character.

(I'm a bit surprised she didn't end up with an Ampharos...)

Other than Casey, I don't have any other characters in mind. Any more gym leaders would've made Ash more of a Gary-Stu than he already is, even though they returned to that aspect in Best Wishes, but at least there was a 10+ season gap. Having it happen not long after Orange Islands would've been a bit below the belt, in a way, getting rid of one gym leader to replace with another. At least they gave us time to adjust before they did it in Best Wishes, and I suppose at least explained it... I think.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Other than Casey, I don't have any other characters in mind. Any more gym leaders would've made Ash more of a Gary-Stu than he already is, even though they returned to that aspect in Best Wishes, but at least there was a 10+ season gap. Having it happen not long after Orange Islands would've been a bit below the belt, in a way, getting rid of one gym leader to replace with another. At least they gave us time to adjust before they did it in Best Wishes, and I suppose at least explained it... I think.
    Don't forget Johto was all about reuniting the original trio, even though it didn't work out so well. Sadly if Tracey wasn't so poorly received I'm willing to bet that Brock would have stayed gone for Johto, but then come back for AG....and then Brock's return for Hoenn would have made much more impact.

I really liked Brock in the first place to be ash's companion...

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Don't forget Johto was all about reuniting the original trio, even though it didn't work out so well. Sadly if Tracey wasn't so poorly received I'm willing to bet that Brock would have stayed gone for Johto, but then come back for AG....and then Brock's return for Hoenn would have made much more impact.
    It didn't work out well mainly because writers had no idea how to properly handle 3 years or longer regions before new games come out though. This was their first one finding themselves basically in front of wall, especially after GS ball was scrapped filling up time with too many fillers. It wasn't until Master Quest they picked things up providing direction through which show will go.

If they gave more focus on Misty water master career, and focused more on Brock, or if Johto lasted 2 years with 3rd being covered through filler saga things would probably end up better.

That being said i agree about Tracey joining cast for Johto, because he never really had chance to be developed and establish solid storyline around his character leaving too soon. Traveling through extra region to improve his drawing skills and gather new experiences as watcher by observing ton of new, recently discovered pokemon could had premise for some plausible development and some pokemon like Smeargle were perfect for him. Who knows maybe his Scyther would even evolve to Scizor for marketing purposes than.

As for AG, well you already know what group would be ideal imo. I would probably keep everything same, except instead of Max Misty would join cast in BF being intriguing to see expansion on her goal ranking up as trainer, and having two girls in cast could lift up group dynamic to new level of being interesting imo.

Kanto- None
    Johto- None
    Hoenn- Brendan/some other yahoo>Brock
    Sinnoh- May>Dawn / Anybody>Brock
    Unova- Hilda> Iris

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast