Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: The "I'm too old to be on here" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    no way... we've gotten to that point already in our schools?
    Better than the girl who asked me if I was a student.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    I thought you were straight, Kreis.

22, 23 in January. I see a lot of people here who can't be more than, like, 12, if that, judging by how they post. It can be frustrating, and that's part of why I usually vacate this place in the downtimes between game releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    But how old are you now?
    im 16 which isnt too old by any means
    but u see those commercials where teens are telling littne kids about all the stuff they have (mainly being able to move the tv)

one thing that makes me feel old is that my little siblings don't know how to rewind a VHS

i remembered when dvd's came out and i thought they were so cool cuz i didnt have to rewind them XD
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

I was 3. Now I'm 10. Nah, once you get over the fact that all it's haters are stuck-up jerks, and that there are people in their late 40's playing this game, well, you don't really care. POKÉMON FTW!!!!!

My Pokémon Omega Ruby Team:

[Raven] : [Neptune] : [Simba] : [Dubai] : [Zelda] : [Brutus]
    3DS Friend Code:
    2938-8044-3384

Quote Originally Posted by intergalactic platypus View Post
    Better than the girl who asked me if I was a student.
    There was a teacher in my high school that basically was one of us. We used to share jokes with her, get extremely derailed from the lesson plan, and the best part is she only looked about our age as well. Fun times
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    (come and play Team Fortress 2 with me!)

Quote Originally Posted by onichan View Post
    Another challenge at my age is women. When they ask what do u do for fun its like oh hey I still play Pokemon and then I never hear from them again.
    Sigging this. LOL
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

I will be 20 soon, but I could be 100 and still not too old to be on here <3

.: 3DS FC: 0490-5034-9209 :.
    .: DeviantART :: Graphics Thread :: Art Thread :: Art Shop :.

I'm 21, but I don't think I could ever give up pokemon. :P
    I feel especially old when I realize my game character is like 10 (aren't the new ones like 15 or 16?)

I saw what looked like to be a man in his 40's on the public bus playing Pokemon.....I cried tears of joy.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    I saw what looked like to be a man in his 40's on the public bus playing Pokemon.....I cried tears of joy.
    That's not too unusual. My dad, back in the late 90's, collected Pokemon cards and he was in his early 40s.
    I guess it is a little cooler in the sense they're starting to play the games more often now.
    Under Construction

I think a lot of older people like Pokemon, it's kind of a game that has something for everyone IMO. I dont really think ypu grow out of it, I imagine myself always liking Pokemon and continuing to buy the games and go on Pokemon forums. Why should I give it up? Im old enough to choose what to play and such. Im 25 and still going strong, I'll always play Pokemon.

That fact that this thread exists is a sign that those in that age group are smart folks.

Anyway, yeah, I feel that a lot of them time here, namely giving particularly articulate answers to threads and no one else does. But then there's the chance that I just put too much thought into these things, and that's really a sign of not needing to be here!

Though it does makes the really difficult and well-thought out discussions I've had here stand out much more. Serebii has a very interesting dichotomy there.

Quote Originally Posted by SolidWolverine View Post
    This is just my personal opinion: I don't think pokemon is exclusively for the younger audience like most people would say. I read somewhere(correct me if I'm wrong pls) that Ash wasn't always intended to stay a child, that the creator wanted him to eventually grow a bit older and eventually be something parallel to the manga's Red.
    The series was intended to end with Mewtwo Strikes Back and Ash winning the Indigo League, and only scraped once OLM got the franchise was basically guaranteed to continue and sell. So I'm afraid you are patently wrong there.

That and, if I may take a blunt stab, this self-serving, almost selfish idea that "Pokemon is okay as a kid's product when I was one but must grow up with me" needs to be shot, as it must be towards Nintendo's games in general. The single-digit/early teen 90's kids (I being one of the former) are a special set of fans for giving the series its initial superstar momentum, giving us memories and a role in the franchise's development that new fans will never have claim too. That doesn't mean we have the final word on what becomes of the series.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

I lurk around here a couple times. I'm a timid, passive, and fence-sitting poster most times because I'm not used to this community yet. I still get uneasy when I talk to someone whose probably pre-teen to teen or a person my age whose overly "bubbly" or so. Let's just say I usually preferred not to say much to them unless we warm up first. Despite that, I've grown to be more attentive and gracious to them because at one point they used to be me(although I was much more quiet).

The "I'm too old trend" kicks in and then it drops no matter what game I pick up. One minute I feel so old, next minute I realize the peeps I talk to here are close to my age. Because of this, I don't feel as ashamed as I used to. I usually tend to be cautious of what I post now because I'm talking to strangers on the internet. I have other sites that I frequent over this one, but I still remember to always be open-minded and easygoing towards whoever.

If I meet a hyperactive 30 year old fan of pokemon in real life, it would make me cringe at first. However, that's what happens when you're the sheltered and reserved type. In all my days of the internet, I still get peeved on some things that aren't to my liking(such as this copy this into your sig trend), but again I have to tolerate and get along.

I think I've rambled quite a bit, but I hopefully I won't regret it....or will I?
    Last edited by KokoYoshi; 11th November 2012 at 6:34 AM.

If anyone would be too old to be on here, it's me.

But I do what I like...*stick's her tounge out at thread title*

Ya know. As long as your not harming real people (thats where you should draw the line).

But liking a video game doesn't harm anyone....I think. Yeah it doesn't (though some video games i question why people even like them. pokemon's defenetly not one of these, though. I just don't understand other people very much as a whole....).
    Riku from kingdom hearts is so hot :P

^ rawr :P ITS A LION ADD THING. XD

I got into Pokémon when I was 17, back in the very early days of the Red and Blue versions. My younger brother got me into it, and at the time, it was a pretty new and interesting approach to a RPG. Never did I think it would evolve into so much of a hit franchise.

Though I'm 30 now and a lot has changed, I'm definitely not as much of a fan as I used to be. I really don't play the games that much and I dropped watching the anime and playing the card game many years ago. Whether I'm too old to be here, it's a tricky call. I honestly don't spend that much time here to be honest.

Besides all that, other franchises like Mario could be considered childish, yet plenty of adults still play that. I feel just because you may be 17 and eligible to play M-rated games doesn't mean that's the only thing you should be playing now.

I may just stick to Serebii for another 40 more years or forever. I don't think I'm too old here.

I wouldn't consider myself old, most of the people here are way older than me...

...And I plan to stay here throughout my teen years and adulthood.

Though it's a little early to think about adulthood, when you're 11. @~@

Well, I'm 14, which is nothing for smogon, but here I feel elderly. It honestly seems to me like most of these kids are 8-years olds based on the quality of their posts.
    I have claimed Alduin, the mighty dragon! He shall one day return to bring forth the end of time, and fulfill the prophecy of the world eater.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGonzales View Post
    Well, I'm 14, which is nothing for smogon, but here I feel elderly. It honestly seems to me like most of these kids are 8-years olds based on the quality of their posts.
    Honestly, just blink a few more times and you'll be 20.
    Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGonzales View Post
    Sometimes, the most mature post is one that knows thyself. Do I post to sound mature? No, but I post how I feel, elaborate with honesty, and find an even ground for my audience. However, there are times when opinions conflict another.

This is where the problem lies for me imho. Some people try to make some logic over the most trivial things on the web. I could say I'm a pedophile and I bet some people would get on my case for how wrong it is. Granted, I am not one yet I can't deny a petite female body turns me on. Does this make me a hypocrite? In someone's presumptuous mind it could be, but then would I be interested in banging someone whose way younger than me? Yes....if it's someone I love. However, don't test me. I'd only date someone whose about 3 years younger than me haha.

If it gets me shunned liking a lady younger than I, it gives me a reason to not be those trendy fools making logic off of subjective things. In general, I find that being true to yourself is more important than thinking of age.

At least a narrow-minded person who posts like a 8 year old makes for good giggles to me. Not because I'm a troll, but because I'm curious of why they're that way. Part of the reason why I decide to never reveal my age unless I want to. It makes chatting with someone that more interesting xD

Hence, I always find it interesting when young adults, teens, and elder people are all present on the web. I can find 30 year olds with an 8 year old persona or a 15 year old with a 25 year old persona. Anyways, I think I'm rambling way too much.

I love Pokemon and will stand by it because I like most on here.

I feel out of place sometimes playing pokemon, I'm a 26 year old tattooed former drug dealer and gang member, compare that to children and even normal adults and I'm very out of the normal demographic. But I'm also mentally ill so it's kind of hard for people to question the things I do, combined with the ruthless reputation I used to have. I suppose my tastes have grown a bit eccentric ever since I've settled down, I came back to pokemon and comic books which I started when I was a pre-teen, I guess never having a normal childhood/young adult life makes me want to enjoy the things I missed out on while I was out there ****ing my life up. Top that off with PTSD, major depression, and multiple anxiety disorders, at the very least, haven't been diagnosed in a loooong time, and it's a good escape from reality.
    Last edited by wc662; 13th November 2012 at 3:49 PM.

Looking for: Lansat & Staraf Berries
    Have Enigma Berry and every other berry if you're willing to help out?

Quote Originally Posted by wc662 View Post
    I feel out of place sometimes playing pokemon, I'm a 26 year old tattooed former drug dealer and gang member, compare that to children and even normal adults and I'm very out of the normal demographic. But I'm also mentally illso it's kind of hard for people to question the things I do , combined with the ruthless reputation I used to have. I suppose my tastes have grown a bit eccentric ever since I've settled down, I came back to pokemon and comic books which I started when I was a pre-teen, I guess never having a normal childhood/young adult life makes me want to enjoy the things I missed out on while I was out there ****ing my life up. Top that off with PTSD, major depression, and multiple anxiety disorders, at the very least, haven't been diagnosed in a loooong time, and it's a good escape from reality.
    ...I know that feeling.

I'm a 22 year old college student that just joined the forums today, and I only just picked Pokemon back up last year after a hiatus since Gen 3. I've always loved the series, but for a time I pretended to hate it because I was afraid of what others would think. After I admitted to liking it, when I saw Black and White, I wanted to play it, but I was afraid people would think I was immature for still liking Pokemon. Y'know, growing up in the 90's at age 8 with Yellow version, some things still don't change. I don't think i'll ever stop liking this game, even though i'm an adult now. Pokemon also taught me valuable life lessons: sometimes, you just gotta do what you love, and try not to worry so much about what other people think. I owe a lot to this series, and I hope it continues going strong. It always makes me happy knowing there are people around my age or older who still play it.

Quote Originally Posted by JockeyEllis View Post
    I'm a 22 year old college student that just joined the forums today, and I only just picked Pokemon back up last year after a hiatus since Gen 3. I've always loved the series, but for a time I pretended to hate it because I was afraid of what others would think. After I admitted to liking it, when I saw Black and White, I wanted to play it, but I was afraid people would think I was immature for still liking Pokemon. Y'know, growing up in the 90's at age 8 with Yellow version, some things still don't change. I don't think i'll ever stop liking this game, even though i'm an adult now. Pokemon also taught me valuable life lessons: sometimes, you just gotta do what you love, and try not to worry so much about what other people think. I owe a lot to this series, and I hope it continues going strong. It always makes me happy knowing there are people around my age or older who still play it.
    The feeling is mutual. Come, let us play our hearts out with Pokemon xD

Besides all that, other franchises like Mario could be considered childish, yet plenty of adults still play that. I feel just because you may be 17 and eligible to play M-rated games doesn't mean that's the only thing you should be playing now.
    Wow, that just blew my mind. O.o Anyway, I think that is completely true. Why is it normal for older people to play some games and abnormal to play others? Beats me, that's one thing I do know. I, personally, find it fine to play pokemon when you're older. But most people don't because they'll assume you're a thirty year old living in your mothers basement or some shinx. (lol)
    However, it is important to put work and essays and such first, because those things are real important. Sorry for long post. ^^;

Current shinies: - 3 SRs, - 5 SRs, - Random encounter
    Hunts: , , // .

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    'Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.'

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast