Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ash vs. Paul - Two Years On

Default Ash vs. Paul - Two Years On

Yeah. So it's been...well over two years since Ash and Paul's league battle.

With Ash and his new rival, Trip, heading for their big league showdown (...presumably), I'm curious to see how people compare the build between these two battles (again, presuming Ash/Trip at the league happens, which it should) - as well as asking where people now believe Ash/Paul sits among the series' best battles.

Two years and almost an entire saga is long enough for the battle to be consigned to "history", so I wonder if that means people remember it a little more fondly. Especially since Ash/Trip is, I think, regarded as inferior on the whole (could be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure the majority here prefers the Ash/Paul rivalry).

I prefer ash and Gary. Just saying and its extremely unfair to do this topic because Paul never gets his intelligence stripped or have his torterra suddenly return to level 1 at the start of every region.

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I prefer ash and Gary. Just saying and its extremely unfair to do this topic because Paul never gets his intelligence stripped or have his torterra suddenly return to level 1 at the start of every region.
    Oh yeah, Ash/Trip has a different dynamic entirely, but those dynamics can still be compared. It basically comes down to "what entertains you more?" I mean forget Ash losing a lot of his knowledge or Pikachu being set to level 1 - on a fundamental level, both rivalries offer different levels of entertainment (or the same level).

Quote Originally Posted by Born Better View Post
    Not sure what that has to do with anything.
    You mean this topic? Just a question. Ignore the topic if you want.

Meh, Trip will get fully evolved plot armor and Ash will barely beat him with only one pokemon remaining. It's pretty obvious this is gonna happen lol.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

I still feel bitter for Torterra getting nothing from the Sinnoh League.. When it could've done whatever Snorlax did to that Grumpig.. Torterra getting no win against Paul made me bitter towards that battle.

My preferred spread:
    Aggron: Torterra
    Gastrodon: Buizel
    Drapion: Gliscor
    Ninjask: Infernape
    Froslass: Pikachu
    Electivire: Infernape

Staraptor as the fall-guy is acceptable when you admit that it already took down Nando's Roserade earlier.. But nooo, Infernape had to come in and punch Aggron into a wall.. Giving us two fall guys..
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    I still feel bitter for Torterra getting nothing from the Sinnoh League.. When it could've done whatever Snorlax did to that Grumpig.. Torterra getting no win against Paul made me bitter towards that battle.

My preferred spread:

Staraptor as the fall-guy is acceptable when you admit that it already took down Nando's Roserade earlier..
    Dont forget it also beat weavile and scored a technical win vs Honchcrow. He's probably the only member that actually deserved to be the fall guy.

Anyways "all star team"

Drapion-Gliscor
    Electivire-Infernape
    Torterra-Infernape
    Honchcrow-Torterra
    Magmortar-Pikachu
    Ursaring- Infernape

Trip and Ash's rival has been really basic and thats why I like it.. Paul and Ash had a little too much drama for me.. Trip and him just battle and talk, which is all the rival really does with us in the games :/ Paul always wanted to talk to Ash and start drama with him while Trip never talks to him first because Ash is just a rival of his.. Its not like they have link like Paul and Ash had Dramachar. So I'm looking foward to their clash.. whenever it is.. I hope they dont pull a cliche and have him battle in the league, but I will most likely be disappointed so whatever. Also, because none of Ash's team has a connection with Trip the battle should be more interesting instead of when Paul and Ash fought with Infernape being the main focus and all of Ash's other Sinnoh Pokemon barely got any attention.. I expect all of Ash's Unova team to have their share of focus in the invetiable battle (whenever it is..).
    What happens when two diffrent people connect through an unlikely adventure?
    https://www.fanfiction.net/docs/edit.php?docid=29355246
    Pokemon-BW- Dare to live?

So how many Pokemons are there?

Silly Jack, the plural of Pokemon is Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by Street Comedy View Post
    Pokemon: Filler Adventures and Pokemon: Rise of the Penguin respectivley.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    Now that I think about it....that poster is a horrible advertisement
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Comedy View Post
    Wow, I'm just stating that I'm uncomfortable with one of the few decent pokemon on the train wreck that is Ash's Unova team getting shafted and you accuse me of impersonating an imposter?!

I liked the Shigeru figth.

I liked the Shinji figth a lot more.

Shooti figth will probably be good also, maybe not be as good as Shinji because of the climax of their rivalry and the whole Electrivre vs Infernape rivalry too but I see it being a good figth.

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post

My preferred spread:

Staraptor as the fall-guy is acceptable when you admit that it already took down Nando's Roserade earlier.. But nooo, Infernape had to come in and punch Aggron into a wall.. Giving us two fall guys..
    I would prefer:

Aggron: Buizel(evolves)
    Gastrodon: Torterra
    Drapion: Torterra
    Ninjask: Gliscor
    Froslass: Gliscor
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    I would prefer:

Aggron: Buizel(evolves)
    Gastrodon: Torterra
    Drapion: Torterra
    Ninjask: Gliscor
    Froslass: Gliscor

Dude gliscor is quad weak to ice.

Dude gliscor is quad weak to ice.
    Fire Fang ftw lol. And he deserves two wins...

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Fire Fang ftw lol. And he deserves two wins...
    Then give him aggron and buizel froslass.

Then give him aggron and buizel froslass.
    But Buizel deserves some Screech revenge .

I'll admit, that battle was pretty epic.. The thing is that either Buizel should've got a win in their previous 6v6 so that he could be the fall guy here, or Torterra should've been sent out and won against Aggron/Ninjask, instead of Infernape getting 3 whole wins which it didn't even need..

Aggron - Torterra/Infernape
    Gastrodon - Buizel
    Ninjask - Infernape/Torterra
    Drapion - Gliscor
    Froslass - Pikachu
    Electivire - Infernape

Basically, my only beef with that battle is that Torterra should've got a win.. I especially loved Gliscor taking down the beast that is Drapion..
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

I liked the spin they put on it with Paul using pokemon he's never fought Ash with.

It's hard to compare the two because Ash/Paul was basically Ash's whole story in D/P (that and Team Galactic). Trip meanwhile has barely appeared since the run-in with Alder. I'm not sure what the focus is supposed to be in Best Wishes in regard to Ash and his development, but beating Trip doesn't feel like nearly as big a deal as beating Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyCharyZard View Post
    I'll admit, that battle was pretty epic.. The thing is that either Buizel should've got a win in their previous 6v6 so that he could be the fall guy here, or Torterra should've been sent out and won against Aggron/Ninjask, instead of Infernape getting 3 whole wins which it didn't even need..

Aggron - Torterra/Infernape
    Gastrodon - Buizel
    Ninjask - Infernape/Torterra
    Drapion - Gliscor
    Froslass - Pikachu
    Electivire - Infernape

Basically, my only beef with that battle is that Torterra should've got a win.. I especially loved Gliscor taking down the beast that is Drapion..
    Infernape only really needed to have that one final epic battle lol. Torterra(Gastroodon,Drapion) and Gliscor(Ninjask,Frostlass) could of got two wins each, Buizel could of evolved and beat Aggron. Starpator and Pikachu are fine to be fall guys cuz the rat got hihs redemption next episode anyways.

Gary and Ash was the best rivalry, it just had minimum screentime compared to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    Gary and Ash was the best rivalry, it just had minimum screentime compared to the others.
    I will say I still liked Ash and Pauls rivalry the best even with the crappy conclusion.

I don't believe this belongs here can somebody move this thread?

Ash and Paul's rivalry in my opinion was the best, Ash and Trip will have a great battle and Trip will finally see how great of a trainer Ash really is dispite some of his actions but they don't really have any thing to gain from this, course I'll still look forward to it ^
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    Ash and Paul's rivalry in my opinion was the best, Ash and Trip will have a great battle and Trip will finally see how great of a trainer Ash really is dispite some of his actions but they don't really have any thing to gain from this, course I'll still look forward to it ^
    Honestly the battle probably won't be that good lol.

What I never understood about the Ash and Paul battle is why people complained about Paul using new pokemon. Ash vs Gary at the Johto League was our introduction to almost all of the pokemon he used. Blastoise was revealed to be his starter, meaning he had it for a while, but the rest was just left up to speculation like Paul's Froslass and Gastrodon.

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderblade12 View Post
    What I never understood about the Ash and Paul battle is why people complained about Paul using new pokemon. Ash vs Gary at the Johto League was our introduction to almost all of the pokemon he used. Blastoise was revealed to be his starter, meaning he had it for a while, but the rest was just left up to speculation like Paul's Froslass and Gastrodon.
    Ya but we still know about a few of them lol. And the difference was that out of like the three pokemon we knew about, only two were used so we expected him to have new pokemon. Paul, they threw a total curve. I mean in the previous battle we see his old pokemon and then suddenly everybody is replaced. Sure we knew about Aggron and Ninjask but the rest were like total wtf's. If it was at least pokemon that matched him but seriously they weren't even his style.

ash gonna lose to gary. but ash owns all other rivals of him
    My fc: 4871 5236 8426

Dare to battle me?

I'm back

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast