Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Development

Default Pokemon Development

Hi guys! Well, since I'm fairly new to this website I thought I would post my very first thread on the development of Ash's, Iris's, Cilan's, Trip's, Bianca's, and other rivals pokemon! What do you think about their development and the path that their trainers (pokemon) are choosing. Thanks ever so much! ; Go team! Not included Shiny Garchomp & Crawdaunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewott82 View Post
    Hi guys! Well, since I'm fairly new to this website I thought I would post my very first thread on the development of Ash's, Iris's, Cilan's, Trip's, Bianca's, and other rivals pokemon! What do you think about their development and the path that their trainers (pokemon) are choosing. Thanks ever so much! ; Go team! Not included Shiny Garchomp & Crawdaunt!
    there is no development seeing as every region he loses it all..

I have no clue what the OP is asking.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I have no clue what the OP is asking.
    im guessing he wants to know what we think of ash cilan or iris development and i guess how they r doing on there goal?

I think due to high numbers of Pokemon on the team and an even more unfair than usual distribution of screen-time and development, the development of Ash's team in particular has been poor this saga in general.

Pikachu- We know all there is to know about this mouse-trap avoider, and yet constantly it is getting more gym wins than current team members (even those getting too many themselves) and more time devoted to it (it getting ill again, it having some sort of rivalry with Trip's snake etc.). This is despite the fact that it will be there in the gen 6 anime, gen7, gen 8 and every gen released. I believe that due to its constant place on the team it should have minimal screen-time (aside from its obligatory appearance every episode anyway), just because its there all the time doesn't mean it has to be the center of attention so much as well. If its going to be forever there at least leave it on the back burner the whole time.

Oshawott-
    We have seen a whole load of this Pokemon this saga. It has had episodes dedicated to its training, learning new moves, battles etc. by the gallon and has developed well as a character to a point. I certainly am not going to complain that it has been developed but it really didn't need to take up so much screen-time to do it in. For example, let him be trained and do all it did (but with less gym wins as it had more than its fair share) but take out all of its stupid pop-up-for-the-sake-of-it appearances that could have been used to develop another more rarely seen Pokemon like Boldore. Also, if one Pokemon is to be given so much focus then it is just unfair on the viewers for it to remain totally unevolved. The writers should have evolved it to Dewott 20 episodes ago (heck- Buizel was popular and the two are very similar in terms of design) and the Samurott post-league in the filler saga. It is totally ridiculous that Leavanny battles three times or something and evolves in two of those battles when Oshawott who has a much easier-to-reach evolution condition than maxed-out happiness battles many more times and doesn't evolve.

Pignite- It has been developed well with a good, but recycled back-story. It had slightly too much screen-time but as with Oshawott, I wouldn't cut out its development, just its excessive appearances, like in the upcoming Eevee episode when, given the writers ignoring of type-advantages, another Pokemon could be used against Cyrogonal. Also it had FAR too many gym wins.

Snivy- What has Snivy done over the saga? It had an interesting and unique introduction and back-story, being introduced with a good moveset that led people to think, correctly that it wouldn't be used much. However, this experience seems to have come to nothing. What started off as a unique Pokemon has ended up yet another Bulba-clone, a non-evolving first stage starter that would be much cooler IMNSHO if it evolved. Its attract gimmick wore thin and moveset grew stale (no attacking non-grass moves, really?) fairly quickly. It had some good interaction with Ash, Pignite and Emolga, perhaps Iris too, but evolving because it realized it wasn't as good as it thought it was would have made for an interesting twist to me, not just because I am evolution-obsessed (shouldn't everyone be?) but because the don't-need-to-evolve-strong-enough-already DEM is getting very boring and irritating and I think Snivy deciding that it wouldn't evolve only to then change its mind so as to help Ash would have been good development as it is fairly selfish IMO at the moment.

Unfezant- Noctowl all, over again. It has atrociously low appearances despite being caught right at the start, it evolved twice with virtually no battles (not complaining at the evolutions but the correlation between low number of battles and evolving compared to high number of battles and not evolving). Granted it was shown to be stronger than Noctowl, but this was probably so as to
    let the writers off the hook in terms of Ash having to train it and taking away precious Osha-time.

Scraggy- I think this Pokemon has got OK development. It seemed to be on the team permanently at the start despite not doing much and had its battle debut later than other babies did. I think a few league battles and wins will give it enough development for the series.

Boldore- This Pokemon has terrible development. Like Snivy, it seemed to be caught with a good moveset as a remedy for lack of screen-time but ended up losing a good move for the terrible rock smash. Its capture episode and the one directly folksinging were good, as was the Clay battle but the screen-time was bad and the Pokemon in general lacks a personality, but then again, what chance has it had to show it? It could do with interacting with other team members and Ash a lot more. Perhaps an evolution/gain of a proper face it might have an increased ability to show personality.

Palpitoad- This is one cool Pokemon oozing with personality. It had a really interesting surprise capture episode with a cool 'leader-minion' relationship to Stunfisk that has been totally not built upon since its first episode. Ir regularly doesn't appear for tens of episodes at a time and even didn't appear for 50 episodes. Why do we need to see Oshawott practically every other episode when we have a cool Pokemon like this with a tonne of potential? Because its ugly and doesn't sell as well as Oshawott, that's why.

Leavanny- Evolved twice despite minimal battles. Has an interesting personality, going form hating ash to evolving because of the strength of bond between them, despite the fact that in reality it should have been taught the move Frustration to release the anger of never being used by its trainer. Instead of a slow, gradual change in the relationship between the two, culminating in a happiness evolution, Swadloon just randomly evolved at the start of an episode an became a living sewing machine. But hey, Oshawott needed to pop up 58585885 times so there wasn't enough time to develop Swadloon.

Krookodile- I think Krookodile was developed well. Its capture seemed to be set up from the start of the saga and I think it being captured so late helped as it could be developed without taking up time from Ash's other Pokemon, by battling against/alongside them. It has a cool personality and is unique amongst Ash's Pokemon and I think it has come a long way from that little Sandile that was so concerned about UV damage to its eyes!

So in general, I'd prefer Ash to catch less Pokemon if it means the ones he has get more development. I'd rather Ash didn't capture Boldore and Unfezant, say, if it meant Leavanny and Palpitoad got more focus and were properly developed or vice versa. In fact, I'd even go so far to say that I'd rather Ash hadn't caught Oshawott and Snivy and instead just got Leavanny and Palpitoad with Pignite (like in Hoenn with Cor, Tork and Scept) if it meant that there would be more even development across the team due to no unfair bias on the 3 team members that are starters (instead only 1).

I mean take Boldore for example, in Gen 9, are we all going to be crying out to see it battle again after a say, 2 generation-long absence like we do for Kingler or Muk? I doubt it as Boldore has left relatively little impact due to little development whereas despite little appearance the other two have interesting personalities and so are more endearing. I can wait to see Kingler give another Pokemon a bad haircut like it did for Exeggutor or to see Muk molest a Pokemon on to death like it did to Bellsprout.
    Last edited by naughtynun; 8th November 2012 at 2:27 AM.
    On Team:,:656:,:661:.

Oak's Lab: x30
    ()
    In Training:
    Released:

Advice to the writers for the 6th Gen:
    1. Give a fair distribution of screentime and battles- No Pika-Hogging.
    2. Give Ash as many Pokemon as you will bother with, and no more.
    3. Evolution is nothing to be scared of. Especially evolve Starters, please!

Quote Originally Posted by naughtynun View Post
    I think due to high numbers of Pokemon on the team and an even more unfair than usual distribution of screen-time and development, the development of Ash's team in particular has been poor this saga in general.

Pikachu- We know all there is to know about this mouse-trap avoider, and yet constantly it is getting more gym wins than current team members (even those getting too many themselves) and more time devoted to it (it getting ill again, it having some sort of rivalry with Trip's snake etc.). This is despite the fact that it will be there in the gen 6 anime, gen7, gen 8 and every gen released. I believe that due to its constant place on the team it should have minimal screen-time (aside from its obligatory appearance every episode anyway), just because its there all the time doesn't mean it has to be the center of attention so much as well. If its going to be forever there at least leave it on the back burner the whole time.

Oshawott-
    We have seen a whole load of this Pokemon this saga. It has had episodes dedicated to its training, learning new moves, battles etc. by the gallon and has developed well as a character to a point. I certainly am not going to complain that it has been developed but it really didn't need to take up so much screen-time to do it in. For example, let him be trained and do all it did (but with less gym wins as it had more than its fair share) but take out all of its stupid pop-up-for-the-sake-of-it appearances that could have been used to develop another more rarely seen Pokemon like Boldore. Also, if one Pokemon is to be given so much focus then it is just unfair on the viewers for it to remain totally unevolved. The writers should have evolved it to Dewott 20 episodes ago (heck- Buizel was popular and the two are very similar in terms of design) and the Samurott post-league in the filler saga. It is totally ridiculous that Leavanny battles three times or something and evolves in two of those battles when Oshawott who has a much easier-to-reach evolution condition than maxed-out happiness battles many more times and doesn't evolve.

Pignite- It has been developed well with a good, but recycled back-story. It had slightly too much screen-time but as with Oshawott, I wouldn't cut out its development, just its excessive appearances, like in the upcoming Eevee episode when, given the writers ignoring of type-advantages, another Pokemon could be used against Cyrogonal. Also it had FAR too many gym wins.

Snivy- What has Snivy done over the saga? It had an interesting and unique introduction and back-story, being introduced with a good moveset that led people to think, correctly that it wouldn't be used much. However, this experience seems to have come to nothing. What started off as a unique Pokemon has ended up yet another Bulba-clone, a non-evolving first stage starter that would be much cooler IMNSHO if it evolved. Its attract gimmick wore thin and moveset grew stale (no attacking non-grass moves, really?) fairly quickly. It had some good interaction with Ash, Pignite and Emolga, perhaps Iris too, but evolving because it realized it wasn't as good as it thought it was would have made for an interesting twist to me, not just because I am evolution-obsessed (shouldn't everyone be?) but because the don't-need-to-evolve-strong-enough-already DEM is getting very boring and irritating and I think Snivy deciding that it wouldn't evolve only to then change its mind so as to help Ash would have been good development as it is fairly selfish IMO at the moment.

Unfezant- Noctowl all, over again. It has atrociously low appearances despite being caught right at the start, it evolved twice with virtually no battles (not complaining at the evolutions but the correlation between low number of battles and evolving compared to high number of battles and not evolving). Granted it was shown to be stronger than Noctowl, but this was probably so as to
    let the writers off the hook in terms of Ash having to train it and taking away precious Osha-time.

Scraggy- I think this Pokemon has got OK development. It seemed to be on the team permanently at the start despite not doing much and had its battle debut later than other babies did. I think a few league battles and wins will give it enough development for the series.

Boldore- This Pokemon has terrible development. Like Snivy, it seemed to be caught with a good moveset as a remedy for lack of screen-time but ended up losing a good move for the terrible rock smash. Its capture episode and the one directly folksinging were good, as was the Clay battle but the screen-time was bad and the Pokemon in general lacks a personality, but then again, what chance has it had to show it? It could do with interacting with other team members and Ash a lot more. Perhaps an evolution/gain of a proper face it might have an increased ability to show personality.

Palpitoad- This is one cool Pokemon oozing with personality. It had a really interesting surprise capture episode with a cool 'leader-minion' relationship to Stunfisk that has been totally not built upon since its first episode. Ir regularly doesn't appear for tens of episodes at a time and even didn't appear for 50 episodes. Why do we need to see Oshawott practically every other episode when we have a cool Pokemon like this with a tonne of potential? Because its ugly and doesn't sell as well as Oshawott, that's why.

Leavanny- Evolved twice despite minimal battles. Has an interesting personality, going form hating ash to evolving because of the strength of bond between them, despite the fact that in reality it should have been taught the move Frustration to release the anger of never being used by its trainer. Instead of a slow, gradual change in the relationship between the two, culminating in a happiness evolution, Swadloon just randomly evolved at the start of an episode an became a living sewing machine. But hey, Oshawott needed to pop up 58585885 times so there wasn't enough time to develop Swadloon.

Krookodile- I think Krookodile was developed well. Its capture seemed to be set up from the start of the saga and I think it being captured so late helped as it could be developed without taking up time from Ash's other Pokemon, by battling against/alongside them. It has a cool personality and is unique amongst Ash's Pokemon and I think it has come a long way from that little Sandile that was so concerned about UV damage to its eyes!

So in general, I'd prefer Ash to catch less Pokemon if it means the ones he has get more development. I'd rather Ash didn't capture Boldore and Unfezant, say, if it meant Leavanny and Palpitoad got more focus and were properly developed or vice versa. In fact, I'd even go so far to say that I'd rather Ash hadn't caught Oshawott and Snivy and instead just got Leavanny and Palpitoad with Pignite (like in Hoenn with Cor, Tork and Scept) if it meant that there would be more even development across the team due to no unfair bias on the 3 team members that are starters (instead only 1).

I mean take Boldore for example, in Gen 9, are we all going to be crying out to see it battle again after a say, 2 generation-long absence like we do for Kingler or Muk? I doubt it as Boldore has left relatively little impact due to little development whereas despite little appearance the other two have interesting personalities and so are more endearing. I can wait to see Kingler give another Pokemon a bad haircut like it did for Exeggutor or to see Muk molest a Pokemon on to death like it did to Bellsprout.
    Please, every single Unova Poke has already done more than Kingler or Muk or at least surely will have when the league is done. That's just mad nostalgia speaking.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    Please, every single Unova Poke has already done more than Kingler or Muk or at least surely will have when the league is done. That's just mad nostalgia speaking.
    You know what?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisharp View Post
    You know what?

No.
    Considering that they've been around for less than one saga, I do really think so. It's all relative. Not that I don't love Kingler or Muk, I hate that they've been so neglected for 15 years.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Quote Originally Posted by Bisharp View Post
    You know what?

No.
    You know what? Yes even Palpitoad.

Palpitoad got to take part in two gyms and a tournament and will take part in the league, Kingler was ignored till the league got the league, was trolled in the Johto league and I believe entered in the Whirpool cup.

Heck he was the only one of Satoshi oaked pokemon that the writers forgoto to show or mention in the last league.

Eh, I really dislike how little some of the pokemon: Leavanny, Boldore, Palpitoad and to a lesser extent, Unfezant was shown. They should rename this show into "The Ash and Pikaosha" show. Leavanny just evolved suddenly, I loved Leavanny though, but it just feels like... out of the place. Boldore is... blehhh barely any screentime. Palpitoad is the most horribly treated one in BW, with its absence for tens of episode. Unfezant was shown to have a little bit more development, but like Leavanny, Boldore and Palpitoad, it was forced to hog the back seat most of the team due to starters and Pika, sometimes Krook, hogging the spotlight.

Really too much screentime: Pikachu
    Too much screentime: Osha
    Good amount of screentime: Snivy, Pignite, Krook
    Not satisfactory amount of screentime: Unfezant, maybe Leavanny
    Barely any screentime: Boldore, maybe Leavanny
    Almost no screentime: Palpitoad

Now, this chart is personal chart, so feel free to disagree but don't bash. I think Snivy didn't develop much, with its movepool remaining the same (or barely changing *shrugs*). Pikachu's development is as much as Ash's, which isn't a lot really.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

I see where your coming from, but I'm talking development which is not neccesairly equal to battles. Muk and Kingler have cool and unique personalities despite poor screentime/battles whereas due to even worse conditions for Boldore he/it has no real distinctive traits and so people won't be fussed to see it in say 2 generations time. Sorryif I muddled my reasoning and confused you as to what I meant.

()
    In Training:
    Released:

I see where your coming from, but I'm talking development which is not neccesairly equal to battles. Muk and Kingler have cool and unique personalities despite poor screentime/battles whereas due to even worse conditions for Boldore he/it has no real distinctive traits and so people won't be fussed to see it in say 2 generations time. Sorryif I muddled my reasoning and confused you as to what I meant.
    I agree on Muk but Kingler, despite being one of the coolest mofos to ever walk on Earth imho, doesn't really have much of a distinctive personality. Where has that been shown?

I agree on Muk but Kingler, despite being one of the coolest mofos to ever walk on Earth imho, doesn't really have much of a distinctive personality. Where has that been shown?

I don't remember it having one myself. Blubapedia maybe?

I thought Kingler had a really cool personality- its league battle where it gave Exeggutor a hair cut, watch that. I just found it much more interesting than Boldore. Its a shame really because I want to find Boldore interesting but I've not really been given a chance!

()
    In Training:
    Released:

I thought Kingler had a really cool personality- its league battle where it gave Exeggutor a hair cut, watch that. I just found it much more interesting than Boldore. Its a shame really because I want to find Boldore interesting but I've not really been given a chance!
    Krabby didn't actually cut any of Exeggutor's "hair" IIRC, it just hang from them with its Vice Grip until it could get a Leer and a Stomp in. Dunno if you meant that literally or not, just wanted to clear it up just in case.
    As a Krabby it was shown to bring Oak food once and be sort of cheerful, that's about it. I'd actually say that Roggenrola's capture episode gave us a better idea of its personality than what we know of Kingler. But yeah, as a Boldore it has only battled, a shame indeed.

I don't remember that much the actual details, just that the attitude he showed in the battle was really cool! I just don't see the point in having Ash capture all these reserves if they are just destined to rot in a lab somewhere, only to be mentioned by whining posters like me when they don't appear enough. Boldore will become just one more Pokemon that will get skipped over in leagues where reserves are used or in filler saga quests. Heck, reserve appearances were bad enough when the only 3 he had were Muk, Kingler and Tauros. If the writers can only deal or bother with X number of Pokemon then what is the point in Ash having more than X number?

()
    In Training:
    Released:

I don't remember that much the actual details, just that the attitude he showed in the battle was really cool! I just don't see the point in having Ash capture all these reserves if they are just destined to rot in a lab somewhere, only to be mentioned by whining posters like me when they don't appear enough. Boldore will become just one more Pokemon that will get skipped over in leagues where reserves are used or in filler saga quests. Heck, reserve appearances were bad enough when the only 3 he had were Muk, Kingler and Tauros. If the writers can only deal or bother with X number of Pokemon then what is the point in Ash having more than X number?
    Meh, I just think it's cool that he's catching stuff. After my boy Torterra got totally destroyed the way he did nothing can really faze me in terms of bad Pokemon treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Really too much screentime: Pikachu
    Too much screentime: Osha
    Good amount of screentime: Snivy, Pignite, Krook
    Not satisfactory amount of screentime: Unfezant, maybe Leavanny
    Barely any screentime: Boldore, maybe Leavanny
    Almost no screentime: Palpitoad
    You should put Pignite in your "too much screentime" tier, the pork has been appearing a lot lately, he's even got to be in next episode.

While I agree that Smug and Shades had decent screentime (I think you missed Scraggy in here too), I feel sorry for the toad
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    You should put Pignite in your "too much screentime" tier, the pork has been appearing a lot lately, he's even got to be in next episode.

While I agree that Smug and Shades had decent screentime (I think you missed Scraggy in here too), I feel sorry for the toad
    Uh no snivy and mijumaru should both be with pikachu in the really too much time slot.

I think Unova has been has one of the most undeveloped Pokemons. Although I like the plot and all but, Sinnoh by far rules the series as well as the first 3 seasons. I really don't mean to be rude it's just that I can't see their personality except for Krookodile, Leavanny, Oshawott, Pignite, and Snivy! love the anime though just a little bit more developed Pokemons and everything should be fine. I'm hoping for a filler saga though.

I think Unova has been has one of the most undeveloped Pokemons. Although I like the plot and all but, Sinnoh by far rules the series as well as the first 3 seasons. I really don't mean to be rude it's just that I can't see their personality except for Krookodile, Leavanny, Oshawott, Pignite, and Snivy! love the anime though just a little bit more developed Pokemons and everything should be fine. I'm hoping for a filler saga though.
    Agreed not only has Ash's Pokemon been underdeveloped but so has his Rival's Pokemon. In Best Wishes the characters have mostly used a few of their Pokemon while the other ones that weren't used were rarely ever seen.

Yeah I agree! I mean we got to see Paul's Pokemon develop along with Ash's. Trip's Pokemon . . . I really don't get their personality. Still, the series plot wise is awesome.

Yeah I agree! I mean we got to see Paul's Pokemon develop along with Ash's. Trip's Pokemon . . . I really don't get their personality. Still, the series plot wise is awesome.
    What development? Its just already OP powerhouses being even stronger killing machines

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    What development? Its just already OP powerhouses being even stronger killing machines
    Torterra and Electabuzz actually have a character, more so than Trip's Serperior at least. Paul hater or not one must accept that he was given better development and focus than Trip.

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Trip had nothing unique going for him. It was a mistake to have him be so much of a jerk after just doing that with Paul, and doing it much better. Trip has nothing Paul doesn't have in terms of character but Paul does have things Trip doesn't. In short, Trip is a poor man's Paul. Paul had a more intense personality, a more interesting training style that whilst being admittedly cruel is fairly similar to the way many people battle in games. His team was larger, more varied and more developed. We saw one Elekid become Electivire, we had the whole Chimchar storyline, we had Paul's insults of Ash's Pokemon who trained to improve and show Paul up. Also Paul, by virtue of being a trainer more experienced than Ash had reserves from previous regions, like Ash which was interesting. Plus this fact of Paul's experience made his thrashing of Ash all the more believable. The thought of a level 5 (I'll take the liberty to say that as it was just caught) Snivy thrashing a heavily spammed Pikachu in terms of battle usage (albeit for a silly reason) was preposterous, not least when Pikachu had to get revenge in the league and waste a battle for that. Plus the battles along the way for Trip were much less significant that those Ash had with Paul, not to mention the atrocious 1 vs 1 league battle, wasted on yet another Pika-spam session.

The development of Pokemon overall this saga, both of Ash's and other characters (particularly rivals) has been awful. The 'I only use one Pokemon' mentality is so overdone in BW. This is the way Noobs play Pokemon- only train up one Pokemon- usually your starter which is great until you get halfway through and the spammed Pokemon faints and you'll automatically done for. Its the way my sister played when she first played Pokemon aged 12 or something! You'd have thought such a battle style wouldn't be glorified in the way it is. Yeah, we had Barry do it with Empoleon in DP but I can't think of anyone else in that Saga. Here, we have Bianca's Emboar, Trip's Serperior (plus Conkeldurr a little), Ash with Pikachu and Pignite (until recently Oshawott who still spams inb the appearance stakes), Iris with Dragonite (initally Exacdrill but then again Axew and Emolga are barely battleworthy) and Cilan with Crustle. This means that only Pokemon gets regular development almost. Hence the terrible development this saga.

()
    In Training:
    Released:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast