Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Personality VS Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by d4rk_tailed View Post
    Isnt a thread like this ripe for the Anime discussion thread? Or are there spoilers in the original post?

Thats a slightly unfair example to cite; that Kanto trio will always be looked at as good because they were the first. Till recently when others picked apart Squirtles battle record and enlightened me as to how average the writers made it I had no idea that it had a poor record compared to Quilava, Bayleef etc.
    I wasn't quite sure...I thought that since stuff that hasn't been revealed in the dub like Krookodile are bound to come up here I just posted it in the spoiler section.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    ... So would you prefer if they just gave Ash more non marketable, bland Pokemon so that he could have an arguably stronger looking team sooner?
    If it means a possibility of him not having any of the starters, then yes, even if some have to be bland. Also, maybe the screen time can be a little bit more balanced.

Oshawott on the other hand had a much worse treatment in terms of battles in comparison with Ash's past Water types (except maybe Totodile). The last major battle it took part in was the 6th gym and lost to a Palpitoad.
    Both Totodile and Oshawott are comic relief pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rovian View Post
    If it means a possibility of him not having any of the starters, then yes, even if some have to be bland. Also, maybe the screen time can be a little bit more balanced.

Except totodile had the coolest dance in the world and he dodged with it to

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    Bulbasaur's personality wouldn't have changed if he evolved.
    Because Bulbasaur was stoic and very mature even in that stage (just as Snivy already is). The difference, as observed below....

....is that Oshawott as an example behaves immaturely and would thus definitely change, not necessarily for the better, once it evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    I wasn't quite sure...I thought that since stuff that hasn't been revealed in the dub like Krookodile are bound to come up here I just posted it in the spoiler section.
    Ah OK fair play on that, I didnt really consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    Except totodile had the coolest dance in the world and he dodged with it to
    Hell yeah! Bring back totodile!!! (but don't evolve him)
        Spoiler:- Game Teams:
    I have a pretty good reputation on these forums... Well i mean I could...

Quote Originally Posted by AceDetective View Post
    People are to obsessed with evolutions these days.
    There are many reasons why this is the case but here are four.

1. In-game evolved Pokémon (for the most part) are stronger than unevolved Pokémon, and some are far more powerful.

2. Personality or not, some Pokémon on the team for a long period of time are stale. Only evolution or new Pokémon can help a Pokémon team from being stale. New Moves, really good, unique new moves only add a hint of fresh air.

3. A lot more stories can be written for character development if evolution is an option. There's only so many believable obstacles that can stand in the way of a character's growth before those obstacles become more of a hindrance than actually helping the character to grow.

Edit:

4. Evolutions are exciting, and seeing a Pokémon evolve into a different creature with a probable different battling/fighting style, has a lot of appeal.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Meh, the writers have to give the fan girls who watch the show something don't they...blame them for liking cute tiny pokemon.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    I love Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Pikachu, Totodile, Buizel, Corphish just how they are. It's a shame Cyndaquil evolved imo, he was awesome how he was.

Oshawott is brilliant aswell, but I wouldn't mind him evolving. It doesn't bother me what happens tbh.
    By oshawott i think you mean piplup.

Anyways why not honestly both? plus it's late in the saga, so evolution should come first.
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    Bulbasaur's personality wouldn't have changed if he evolved.
    We'll never know for sure since it didn't and probably won't ever evolve. But at least the writers made it clear that he wasn't destined for evolution. I wish they'd do that more. Then again, even if they confirmed that some of the Pokemon currently in the main cast won't ever evolve, people would try to deconstruct the information and twist it to fit their desires. So nobody wins in the end.

Evolution =\= Personality. Ash has had plenty of Pokemon who evolved yet retained their personality. Charizard, Bayleef, Sceptile, Gliscor, and Krookodile all come to mind. It's all about development. And in the course of development, evolution might or might not be needed. Corphish, Buizel, and Snivy have all had extensive development yet remained unevolved. Because it's not necessary. I never understood the importance fans place on evolution just because evolved Pokemon are stronger in the games. The anime has made it clear since the OS that evolution isn't everything when determining strength. You'd think the accomplishments of Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, even Meowth would have silenced this controversey.
    3DS Friend Code: 1435-3681-3604. Add me if you'd like, and send me a PM if you'd like to battle or trade. : )

Friend Safari Type: Electric. Contains Electrode, Electabuzz, and Luxio.

Japan wants CUTE

America wants COOL

>.>

Quote Originally Posted by Nacreous View Post
    Japan wants CUTE

America wants COOL

>.>
    Really it's
    Japan want small and marketable.
    America wants huge threats, and strong.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    Dark Pit isn't that bad of an inclusion, you'll get over it trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBattleFrontierAsh1 View Post
    Really it's
    Japan want small and marketable.
    America wants huge threats, and strong.
    Considering your signature, the latter stereotype seems to be becoming more and more outdated with the lines blurring.

Also, I wish that they'd address why Pokemon like Squirtle, Corphish and Oshawott haven't evolved unlike with Bulbasaur and Piplup. They had more legit reasons. Yet for others it's like, "They have evolved forms?!"
    Last edited by matt0044; 22nd September 2012 at 2:04 PM.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    I love Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Pikachu, Totodile, Buizel, Corphish just how they are. It's a shame Cyndaquil evolved imo, he was awesome how he was.

Oshawott is brilliant aswell, but I wouldn't mind him evolving. It doesn't bother me what happens tbh.
    THIS. Especially the Cyndaquil part.
    Sig deleted by Hydrohs. Read the sig rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Lord View Post
    Evolution =\= Personality. Ash has had plenty of Pokemon who evolved yet retained their personality. Charizard, Bayleef, Sceptile, Gliscor, and Krookodile all come to mind...
    Sceptile originally had a loner personality but lost it.

Also, I wish that they'd address why Pokemon like Squirtle, Corphish and Oshawott haven't evolved unlike with Bulbasaur and Piplup. They had more legit reasons. Yet for others it's like, "They have evolved forms?!"
    Maybe it wasn't by choice. Whatever it is that triggers an evolution since levels do not exist (in the anime), its possible those pokemon just never experienced it (yet).

Sceptile originally had a loner personality but lost it.
    You can't lose personality, it develops into something new. Just like Charizard was arrogant and disobediant but later started listening to him and became loyal to Ash, it didn't lose it's old personality it just developed.

To me evolution can also enhance the personality of the respective Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by DMerle View Post
    You can't lose personality, it develops into something new. Just like Charizard was arrogant and disobediant but later started listening to him and became loyal to Ash, it didn't lose it's old personality it just developed.
    It still sounds like personality can be lost. In the case of Lizardon, he was mellow and friendly as a Hitokage, then he became arrogant when he evolved and lost the good side of his personality. It wasn't until the Orange Islands that Lizardon started working on being a better Pokemon. So it's more like he lost his good personality, got a bad personality, and had to start over from scratch in order to get a good personality again. But Lizardon is a bad example to use in my opinion since this only makes him seem bipolar. :x

Charizard's disobedience was caused by Ash's lack of experience. When Ash earned its trust, the disobedient part of Charizard's personality faded away.

Charizard's disobedience was caused by Ash's lack of experience. When Ash earned its trust, the disobedient part of Charizard's personality faded away.
    Yet he still has that arrogant edge too him, you see it when he challenges another Pokémon/trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Kira View Post
    It still sounds like personality can be lost. In the case of Lizardon, he was mellow and friendly as a Hitokage, then he became arrogant when he evolved and lost the good side of his personality. It wasn't until the Orange Islands that Lizardon started working on being a better Pokemon. So it's more like he lost his good personality, got a bad personality, and had to start over from scratch in order to get a good personality again. But Lizardon is a bad example to use in my opinion since this only makes him seem bipolar. :x
    I think it goes more that he was friendly and competitive, upon evolving the competitive streak took a more arrogant edge to it, during which time he saw Ash as unfit to command him and subsequently disobeyed him. Then when Ash proved his worth as a trainer and a friend he became friendly towards Ash while retaining competitiveness and arrogance to other trainers/Pokémon.
    Last edited by DMerle; 22nd September 2012 at 7:47 PM.

Yet he still has that arrogant edge too him, you see it when he challenges another Pokémon/trainer.
    Confidence =/= arrogance. You're mistaking his boldness for haughtiness.

I like it how it is now, balanced. We get both and how's to say Oshawott isn't strong? Evolution isn't everything. Well in the anime that is. I like it just the way it is.

Ash: Now I choose you!
    Electro Ball!

-Pikachu: PikaPika-Chu-Pi!-

There's a difference here between wanting evolution and knowing something has grown stale despite having personality. I may have growth up with the anime, but to this day I still think they screwed up by not evolving Bulbasaur... Squirtle will forever have a legitimate reason, but Bulbasaur's was pathetic. I get it, evolution doesn't mean much in this show, but at least it makes something interesting again. Going by all the posters here that say that personality beats out evolution, they sure must believe Sinnoh was done horribly as Turtwig, Chimchar, Gligar, Buizel, and even Staravia all had personality and of those, only Buizel failed to evolve.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Joltik when we are talking about personality we are actually talking about pokemon that stand out personality wise.

Like I said Infernape had no personality trait besides going berserk, Turtwig was a Bulbasaur clone but with time he seemed to lose that, Staravia didn't have anything going for him...

The only charismatic pokemon that evolved out of those was Gligar, Buizel was the second most charismatic pokemon in the Sinnoh team and unfortunatly didn't evolve, even though him being Sceptile in terms of personality and being competitive would amke sense for him to evolve.

But yeah other charismatic pokemon have evolved, Krokoodile being the most recent example.

personality does not have to be lost with evolution....scraggy can evolve and still keep his headstrong attitude, maybe he will want to battle more if he evolves, i can also see snivy evolving and keeping her mysteriousness
    palpitoad can also evolve and keep his rowdy/bossy attitude and can actually become a powerhouse.

the only one that would probably change personality is oshawott, maybe would stop trying to be cute and be more mature and battle more.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast