Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 150

Thread: Personality VS Evolution

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash&Pikachu-Fan View Post
    I like it how it is now, balanced. We get both and how's to say Oshawott isn't strong? Evolution isn't everything. Well in the anime that is. I like it just the way it is.
    But who's to say that Oshawott can't keep some of it's traits(flirting) when it evolves either? Just because a Pokemon evolves doesn't mean that it will have bad personality.

    My ideal battle ever!

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    But who's to say that Oshawott can't keep some of it's traits(flirting) when it evolves either? Just because a Pokemon evolves doesn't mean that it will have bad personality.
    just look at krookodile its the same personality it had when it was a krokorok

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wingzx View Post
    just look at krookodile its the same personality it had when it was a krokorok
    True if not more. He is probably more aggressive.

    Snorunt and Gligar evolved and kept their personality. Same with Treecko to Sceptile. It just depends on the Pokemon (and the writers.)
    Yeah..... I changed my signature....

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Groundedshock View Post
    True if not more. He is probably more aggressive.

    Snorunt and Gligar evolved and kept their personality. Same with Treecko to Sceptile. It just depends on the Pokemon (and the writers.)
    Treecko was a loner. By the time he became a Sceptile, he was no longer a loner.



  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rovian View Post
    Treecko was a loner. By the time he became a Sceptile, he was no longer a loner.
    If you become one of Ash's main's in a region then there's something serisouly wrong with you if you are a loner.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rovian View Post
    Treecko was a loner. By the time he became a Sceptile, he was no longer a loner.
    Um...what? Groyvle and Sceptile still never really hung out with the others... (movies don't count)
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Probably not on SPPF.
    Posts
    410

    Default

    How about both? If I have to pick one, then evolution.

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    If you become one of Ash's main's in a region then there's something serisouly wrong with you if you are a loner.
    Not really.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    992

    Default

    In which part of BF Sceptile stopped being a loner?

    That development episode before his battle with Spencer make him realise that he can trust Ash every
    time he had problems, but that never made him change his lonely nature.

    His personality is his bancho attitude while wearing a twig in it's mouth. That's what he never lost.
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

    [CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The United States of America
    Posts
    72

    Default

    The main problem we have with lack of evolution is that we play the games. And in the games, GENERALLY, an unevolved Pokemon cannot compete competitively. I've evolved countless Pokemon whose previous forms I prefer because they just weren't up to the power level they needed to be.
    So when we look at Ash, for example, we see him having 8 badges still carrying around An Oshawott, a Snivy, a Scraggy, a Palpitoad, and a Boldore (though he needs someone to trade for that one, technically. Don't know how that transfers to anime) and we say to ourselves "how in the world does he ever intend to be a league champion like that?" and you know what, we could be right or wrong, depending on how you look at it.
    If Ash would go into the League with a Krookodile, a Samurott, an Emboar, a Serperior, an Unfezant, and a Gigalith, he would stand a much better chance. You can't easily argue that, but the writers can obviously and easily boost the power of his unevolveds so I suppose you could argue using that. But that doesn't mean that he couldn't be anyway. But how many of us on our first time through the Elite 4 and to face the champion in the game choose to go through with two first stages and no fully evolved starter. Very few of us because you just simply cannot do it and hope to succeed.
    Would I like to see a Samurott? Yes. I love Samurott, it is my second favorite Pokemon after Torterra. But look at Ash's Torterra. As a Turtwig and a Grotle it had a lot of development. There was a lot of time dedicated to it. And then it evolved. From then on, it lost every important battle and really sort of faded into the background of Ash's team. Because it was done. The same happens to many of Ash's flying types. Its the sacrifice made when a Pokemon is marketable or is a major part of the story, like Oshawott, Chimchar, or Charizard, where they stay in the spotlight regardless of whether they evolve or not. So do we want it to evolve? Sure, it would be nice. It's worked very hard and has proven itself well-enough as an Oshawott. Why not give it the opportunity to be even more powerful. BUT. Does it need to? No.
    Yellow Team [Currently In Progress]:
    () () . . () . () . . () . . ()
    Justin - Wilfred - Xavier - Tank - Raymundo - Dugtrio

    Black 2 Team:
    () () . () . () . () . ()
    Tidas - Hades - Odin - Valdosta - Stark - Oscar

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotechnet View Post
    The main problem we have with lack of evolution is that we play the games. And in the games, GENERALLY, an unevolved Pokemon cannot compete competitively. I've evolved countless Pokemon whose previous forms I prefer because they just weren't up to the power level they needed to be.
    Change your strategy, it works with me the use of Focus Sash, Eviolite, Thunder Wave, Protect, Custap Berry and a big etcetera on my unevolved Pokémon

    I think it depends of the personality, mostly the serious Pokémon are the ones who reaches their final stages (except Buizel) and the funny ones remain unevolved (except Gligar).

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,595

    Default

    I'm actually going to play through Black 2 a bit differently than before, I'll have a team of 12 Pokes: Pikachu, Pidove, Oshawott, Snivy, Tepig, Scraggy, Sewaddle, Tympole, Roggenrola, Sandile, Dwebble and Tirtouga. Yes, I'm such an Ash stan, the anime is the main reason for me loving many of the newer Pokes. I originally just had an "Ash team" in mind, but added in Crustle and Carracosta cause they're my two actual Unova favourites and I had some new sets in mind so why not. I've bred them all in Black(well, Tirtouga's in the process) and will trade them to B2 when that comes out. Until I finish the story mode I won't evolve any of them further than Ash has at that time. So I'm basically going to try playing with a large team and not fully evolve everyone, should be interesting to say the least.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

    Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    I'm actually going to play through Black 2 a bit differently than before, I'll have a team of 12 Pokes: Pikachu, Pidove, Oshawott, Snivy, Tepig, Scraggy, Sewaddle, Tympole, Roggenrola, Sandile, Dwebble and Tirtouga. Yes, I'm such an Ash stan, the anime is the main reason for me loving many of the newer Pokes. I originally just had an "Ash team" in mind, but added in Crustle and Carracosta cause they're my two actual Unova favourites and I had some new sets in mind so why not. I've bred them all in Black(well, Tirtouga's in the process) and will trade them to B2 when that comes out. Until I finish the story mode I won't evolve any of them further than Ash has at that time. So I'm basically going to try playing with a large team and not fully evolve everyone, should be interesting to say the least.
    You have evolites? It should interesting however....... Maybe I should do that.....
    Yeah..... I changed my signature....

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,407

    Default

    Not all pokemon lose their personalities in BW.

    Those that did.
    ~ Sewaddle>Swadloon>Leavanny
    Tough little kid but soft>Kinda serious>Overly happy
    Basically the typical transition between Childhood> Adolescence>Adulthood


    Those that didn't.
    ~ Pidove >Tranquill > Unfezant
    Yeah she has a personality. Subtle but still there. She is very determined even when battling Pikachu, she decided to continue battling until she got knocked out. In the venipede stampede, she flexed when she blew away the bugs and evolved, showing that spunky-ness. Then in the matches vs Skyla and Roxie, we see that whenever Ash asks her if she can continue she's like "yeah!"

    ~Tepig>Pignite
    Same personality, except he's a bit more happy now that the whole Shamus shame is gone.

    ~ Roggenrola>Boldore
    Same. Affectionate and very happy.

    ~Sandile>Krokorok>Krookodile
    Same. Likes to show his strength. Loves his glasses.

    ~Dwebble>Crustle
    Same. Humble dude who dislikes disappointing Cilan.
    Last edited by _Taidow_; 3rd October 2012 at 11:32 PM.

    Random : PokéRadar


  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    Not all pokemon lose their personalities in BW.

    Those that did.
    ~ Sewaddle>Swadloon>Leavanny
    Tough little kid but soft>Kinda serious>Overly happy Basically the typical transition between Childhood> Adolescence>Adulthood


    Those that didn't.
    ~ Pidove >Tranquill > Unfezant
    Yeah she has a personality. Subtle but still there. She is very determined even when battling Pikachu, she decided to continue battling until she got knocked out. In the venipede stampede, she flexed when she blew away the bugs and evolved, showing that spunky-ness. Then in the matches vs Skyla and Roxie, we see that whenever Ash asks her if she can continue she's like "yeah!"

    ~Tepig>Pignite
    Same personality, except he's a bit more happy now that the whole Shamus shame is gone.

    ~ Roggenrola>Boldore
    Same. Affectionate and very happy.

    ~Sandile>Krokorok>Krookodile
    Same. Likes to show his strength. Loves his glasses.

    ~Dwebble>Crustle
    Same. Humble dude who dislikes disappointing Cilan.
    Gotta agree here. It's just the pokemon with two much personality that end up changing when they evolve.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    I'm on a boat mother... what?
    Posts
    5,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    Not all pokemon lose their personalities in BW.
    Those that did.
    ~ Sewaddle>Swadloon>Leavanny
    Tough little kid but soft>Kinda serious>Overly happy Basically the typical transition between Childhood> Adolescence>Adulthood
    Agree with your whole post, but Sewaddle didn't lose his personality, it changed into a nicer personality (not sure how to name it) but yeah it changed to a nicer Pokemon

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Personally, I think stronger evolved Pokémon that aren't necessarily much fun make Ash look like an accomplished trainer. I mean, I like Oshawott and think he's a great character, but I've always felt it's a little embarrassing for Ash to send out such a little thing in an important battle. The fact that Ash currently carries 10 Pokémon allows him to use Pokémon for their characters while having a team B. I mean, in Kanto, didn't Ash use something like Squirtle/Bulbasaur/Pidgeotto for his eighth badge? Ash's eighth Unova badge had him sending out Boldore, Unfezant, Leavanny, Pignite and Palpitoad. Sure, Leavanny and Palpitoad might be a bit dull compared to Oshawott or Scraggy, but I like how the latter two get all the screentime they need to develop their characters, while the former two are in the PC for a significant fight.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Groundedshock View Post
    You have evolites? It should interesting however....... Maybe I should do that.....
    I can trade a few with them, though I think I'll be using Everstone's on most just because pressing B after each level up might get annoying. + It'll just add to the challenge.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

    Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

  18. #68
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Gotta agree here. It's just the pokemon with two much personality that end up changing when they evolve.
    Not really can you give me an example? and not the usual Charizard example he still has the same traits even if he got new ones.

    Sceptile-Same from Treecko to Sceptile
    Donphan-Same
    Pignite-Same
    Torterra-He lost his traits before he even evolved, become more and more serious and boring and unfortunatly badly treated
    Infernape-His only personality trait is being a whimp and having a trauma, he got over both and having a trauma is not even a personality trait, he stayed the same anyway personality or not
    Gliscor-This thing has a lot of personality. stayed exactly the same jsut got braver
    Krokoodile-Exactly the same, wants to be though and look cool to the others and his trainer that he admired from the start
    Bayleef-Stayed same

    Don't think I need to give more examples and I don't really have an example of the opposite to give.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    Not really can you give me an example? and not the usual Charizard example he still has the same traits even if he got new ones.

    Sceptile-Same from Treecko to Sceptile
    Donphan-Same
    Pignite-Same
    Torterra-He lost his traits before he even evolved, become more and more serious and boring and unfortunatly badly treated
    Infernape-His only personality trait is being a whimp and having a trauma, he got over both and having a trauma is not even a personality trait, he stayed the same anyway personality or not
    Gliscor-This thing has a lot of personality. stayed exactly the same jsut got braver
    Krokoodile-Exactly the same, wants to be though and look cool to the others and his trainer that he admired from the start
    Bayleef-Stayed same

    Don't think I need to give more examples and I don't really have an example of the opposite to give.
    There is a reason Mijumaru, Piplup, and Meowth never evolved and will never evolve lol.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24
    Exactly. Look at popular Squirtle and Bulbasaur are. They never evolved and people still see them as powerhouses. There is a way for the writers to make uneolved Pokemon powerful and a way for the writers to make evolved Pokemon personality filled.
    I personally would have liked to see Squirtle evolve into Wartortle. Bulbasaur, not so much, but that's only because I am not an Ivy/Venusaur fan
    Last edited by Anima; 5th October 2012 at 2:03 AM.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Deep Ocean
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    The reason I Don't see Mijumaru Osha evolving is because it's personality is set in stone. It's in flirting for the entire BW Season (sub Brock anyone), and I wouldn't exactly... Enjoy seeing a Samurott falling in love with every female Pokemon...

    Kurumiru/Sewaddle has such a cute sound thingy, in Japanese it's like "kururu~" me likez

    Credits to Sworn Metalhead

    ASB Squad

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Omnipresent
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    I can trade a few with them, though I think I'll be using Everstone's on most just because pressing B after each level up might get annoying. + It'll just add to the challenge.
    DERP. I forgot one more thing! Are you going to use the same Pokemon Ash uses in all the gyms?
    If so are you going to use Boldore vs Excadrill, Swadloon vs Whirlipede and Unfezant vs Skyla?
    Yeah..... I changed my signature....

  23. #73
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    There is a reason Mijumaru, Piplup, and Meowth never evolved and will never evolve lol.
    They didn't evolve so you can't you say their personalities changed.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Groundedshock View Post
    DERP. I forgot one more thing! Are you going to use the same Pokemon Ash uses in all the gyms?
    If so are you going to use Boldore vs Excadrill, Swadloon vs Whirlipede and Unfezant vs Skyla?
    I might, it depends, there's still the Elite 4 and champion to add to the 8 gyms so that's 15 official battles everyone can star in at least 1. Unfezant I definitely will just because bird fights are cool, Boldore vs Excadrill is gonna be hard, but I will try. I don't think Burgh has a Whirlipede in BW2, but there's always Roxie's one. I won't have Pikachu battle in 5 gyms though lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    They didn't evolve so you can't you say their personalities changed.
    It's more about the personality making them popular and thus holding back their evolution. Would you prefer a funny Oshawott or a Samurott if Oshawott never became that marketable. Obviously he CAN still evolve though, BW isn't over.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

    Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

  25. #75
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,265

    Default

    But Robert didn't say that he said pokemon with too much personality change upon evolution, I gave him all those examples and I don't really have an example to counter that.

    So a dancing Croconaw/Feraligatr or a silly Dewott/Samurott could still happen since it happened with the others.

    Would they be more menacing in battle? sure but out of it, Dewott can just droll on his favourite female pokemon or be cute, the thing is pretty cute and a lot cooler then Oshawott.

    I don't see it evolving anyway.

    A dancing Croconaw/Feraligatr would be awesome though, specially Croconaw since he is always with a grumpy face Xd.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •